Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

City of Savannah Government posted:

Who did this?! Someone placed googly eyes on our historic #NathanaelGreene statue in #JohnsonSquare. It may look funny but harming our historic monuments and public property is no laughing matter, in fact, it's a crime.

We are hoping to find the person responsible! If you have information, please call Savannah Police Department

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.765dcfe1874d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that owns

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol at the idea that stick on eyes are going to damage a statue already exposed to the elements 365 days a year. Just peel them off and soap and water away any residue.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bewbies posted:

I've always wondered had battleship development continued if they would have developed long rod penetrators for the big guns.

that...would own

They did develop some subcaliber projectiles packed full of DPICM, and another subcaliber GPS-guided round with a 100nm range, but then the upcoming decommissioning of the Iowas shut all those programs down.

If we're posting BB photos here are some of mine:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol at the idea that stick on eyes are going to damage a statue already exposed to the elements 365 days a year. Just peel them off and soap and water away any residue.

leave em on

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just watch: some 16 year old kid is going to get busted by additional security put on the statues to protect them when he tried to get mad Instagram likes repeating the joke.

He will be charged with felony destruction of property and the state will try him as an adult, trying to get him a decade.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just watch: some 16 year old kid is going to get busted by additional security put on the statues to protect them when he tried to get mad Instagram likes repeating the joke.

He will be charged with felony destruction of property and the state will try him as an adult, trying to get him a decade.

FREEDOM!

God, I hate this country some days. (I know this hasn't happened, but it is completely plausible.)

Cessna fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 15, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Crows will peck them off anyway.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I hope the phantom eye googler never gets caught and does a tour of the south.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you'd bothered to a read the article city officials have already said that it did no harm to the statue. I would strongly urge anyone here or otherwise who adovocates such "hot takes" that statues should be vandalized are doing so from their actual feelings about something, or if their just doing it to be cool internet kids and fit in. Either way it's pathetic.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

If you'd bothered to a read the article city officials have already said that it did no harm to the statue. I would strongly urge anyone here or otherwise who adovocates such "hot takes" that statues should be vandalized are doing so from their actual feelings about something, or if their just doing it to be cool internet kids and fit in. Either way it's pathetic.

Gonna epoxy a dildo onto the Appomattox statue tonight and feel fine about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Gaius Marius posted:

“Statues” as a class is a meaningless category. Some of them should be vandalized, some should not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please explain why the memory of nathnael Greene and the artist who created the statue deserve to be desecrated.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
gonna take the hardline conservative stance here and say that vandalizing things is bad

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bewbies posted:

gonna take the hardline conservative stance here and say that vandalizing things is bad

On the one hand, the Vandals wrecked the infrastructure of Hispania pretty thoroughly. On the other hand, they did establish a stable regime in North Africa. Pity they got steamrolled by the Arab conquests, though. Or not, depending on who you ask.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Statues of slaveowners should be vandalized

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Please explain why the memory of nathnael Greene and the artist who created the statue deserve to be desecrated.

It doesn't really seem desecrated to me. It just looks funny for a moment with no permanent damage, so I don't give a poo poo. Googly eyes on all statues, imo.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
nobody had better touch my $4m anime statue

http://gawker.com/388435/murakamis-4m-jack-off-cartoon
(:nws:)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

It doesn't really seem desecrated to me. It just looks funny for a moment with no permanent damage, so I don't give a poo poo. Googly eyes on all statues, imo.

He's a human being. How would you feel if someone put googly eyes on your grandparents tombstone

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Quickly lads, lets desecrate the statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest

Ah, we're too late.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

He's a human being. How would you feel if someone put googly eyes on your grandparents tombstone

I think my feelings in that matter would be quite determined by my feelings about my grandparents, and not at all based on the banal fact that my grandparents were human. Not that Greene is even buried there.

A better analogy would be seeing a funny photoshop of photo of a movie star.

Jeff Goldblum is a human being

Gaius Marius posted:

Because old dead generals should not be held sacred.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 15, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think my feelings in that matter would be quite determined by my feelings about my grandparents, and not at all based on the banal fact that my grandparents were human. Not that Greene is even buried there.

A better analogy would be seeing a funny photoshop of photo of a movie star.

Jeff Goldblum is a human being

It's frightening to know that goons have passed the point of having basic human decency. Being a human is not banal, every single person deserves respect, alive or dead.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the pretty good "history buffs" youtube channel did "death of stalin" and i enjoyed it

unfortunately it perpetrates the myth of the brutal autocratic gulag

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nah some people deserve to be ruthlessly mocked at the bare minimum if not actively spit upon, and slaveowners who've been dead for centuries are definitely in that category.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

It's frightening to know that goons have passed the point of having basic human decency. Being a human is not banal, every single person deserves respect, alive or dead.

Gaius Marius posted:

Here's a hot take, cut off the heads of all the "royals" like they should've a hundred years ago so I don't have to read about a bunch of inbred do nothing's and their tabloid escapades written by a bunch of chumps who think this is still the age of Victoria.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

:vince:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Valtonen posted:

Yes. The m1 turbine is a horrible on fuel economy and breaks down way too often even with jp8 only. Having crewed a Leo 2a4 for FDF back in the day and Now crewing a m1a2 for US Army I can safely say the ”we should convert to diesel” conversation that US armor development has pretty much once a year has a lot of reason to it. Same reason is why soviets dumped the turbine, though for them the turbine unreliability was even bigger issue because Soviet engineering.

So is the constant breakdown thing because it was not well designed, or because it is old?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Crazycryodude posted:

Statues of slaveowners should be vandalized

Visit Rome, expect resistance.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes I'm very sorry for that, as I said it was a hot take. It was wrong of me not to treat them with respect. As I recall the thread was discussing some aspect of noble privilege, I tend to get heated when people aren't treated as equal whether people defacing statues or people being afforded lands and titles merely do to the fortune of their birth. It was still wrong and I apologize both to the thread and the people I might have offended.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Gaius Marius posted:

every single person deserves respect, alive or dead.

I disagree on the grounds that

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Phanatic posted:

They did develop some subcaliber projectiles packed full of DPICM, and another subcaliber GPS-guided round with a 100nm range, but then the upcoming decommissioning of the Iowas shut all those programs down.

If we're posting BB photos here are some of mine:

Aboard Missouri.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I didn't say that. I didn't take a position on this particular monument at all.

Please explain why this action was a moral crime:

Statues do not exist in a vacuum. They exist in a particular context and were erected for a particular purpose. A lot of statues honoring civil war figures are not contemporary with the civil war, they are contemporary with the Jim Crow south and were erected within the particular context of and with the particular purpose of continuing the subjugation of the black man. If you're going to take the position that statues, blanket category, should not ever be vandalized, then what's your stance on the horrific historical desecration that was the tearing down of the Berlin Wall?

Fornax Disaster posted:

Aboard Missouri.

New Jersey definitely has different semiotics:

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 15, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

So is the constant breakdown thing because it was not well designed, or because it is old?

It could just be because it's doing something that's hard to do reliably.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A wall is not a statue. A wall is not a representation of a human being it is a wall. Statues do not keep people imprisoned within their own country, walls do.

The statue of Stalin was both a symbol of repression and a representation of a man. In that case the representation outweighed the man. I highly doubt that whoever vandalized Nathanael Greenes statue was opposed to him. I believe it was some dumb kid who thought it was funny.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

“Hey guy, why are you using the balkenkreuz as the logo for your spaceman game clan?”

EvilMerlin posted:

Its a modified Luftwaffe insignia. Luftwaffe != Nazi.

EvilMerlin posted:

Bundeswehr is the overall name for the Armed Services of Germany.

The Air Force is still called the Luftwaffe.

And said Luftwaffe was started by Gerhard Barkhorn, Erich Hartmann, Gunther Rall and Johannes Steinhoff... all of which were former Luftwaffe members under the Wehrmacht. None of them were Nazi's and some of them in fact had to prove this over and over again.

All of these pilots were the best of the best, Barkhorn with 301 kills, Hartmann with 352 kills, Rall with 275 kills and Stienhoff with 176 kills.

This is why I named my org Raumwaffe (space force). These four guys stayed alive during the war, shot down more fighters combined than nearly the rest of the world did. And then they went on and made the Luftwaffe what it is today.

EvilMerlin posted:

I highly recommend reading:

The Blond Knight of Germany: A biography of Erich Hartmann
German Fighter Ace Erich Hartmann: The Life Story of the Worlds Highest Scoring Ace
Gunther Rall: A Memoir, Luftwaffe Ace & NATO General
My Logbook: Reminiscences 1938-2006
The German Aces Speak: World War II Through the Eyes of Four of the Luftwaffe's Most Important Commanders
Das Vergessene As: Der Jagdflieger Gerhard Barkhor

and perhaps most importantly The Final Hours: The Luftwaffe Plot against Goring.

Should help correct your incorrect views of history.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you can't tolerate a kid putting a set of googly eyes on a piece of bronze because it's a representation of a human figure, then you don't have a ton of respect for living humans. What you really respect here is your own privilege to judge other people.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
so, fanart gets weird. you know what mixes well with a kids tv show? WWI france.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fangz posted:

If you can't tolerate a kid putting a set of googly eyes on a piece of bronze because it's a representation of a human figure, then you don't have a ton of respect for living humans.

I don't want him executed, just not to be a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I believe it was some dumb kid who thought it was funny.

Well, he was right. Googly eyes are funny.