Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Beekeeping and You posted:

I'm surprised that no one seems to like switch TWEWY. It's not perfect, but I wouldn't straightup dismiss it as the inferior version.

I actually really like the new battle system, since with the DS I was just mashing the d-pad anyway, but the touchscreen can feel a little imprecise compared to the stylus. This becomes a problem with the fusion card games. Apparently playing co-op by yourself is really fun, and closest to the spirit of the original battle system, but the joycon controls are a chore to get used to.

The biggest issue is that it's 50$. :v: The original is like 28 bucks on ebay. The updated music and graphics are really nice, but I'm not sure it's worth paying double.

People talked poo poo about the DS/3DS touchscreen being resistive instead of capacitive for years but I always knew the truth: capacitive sucks for game input. Stylus or die

-Posted from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Finished up Undertale again for the Switch this week, still just as fun a game as it was back at its launch. The bonus content was also well implemented for this version, didn’t feel jammed in at all.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
I actually picked up a smartphone stylus to play TWEWY, and it helps a lot - the touch screen gameplay now feels pretty close to the DS (although I'd really like to have at least the sub-pin switching on a shoulder button). I still miss the dual screen combat, but at this point I'd call it a pretty decent port overall - if nothing else, the music benefits a lot from not coming out of a DS speaker.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Yeah, in reading all of these reviews of Starlink I'm really stuck in the middle. I love me a good spaceship game but the repetitiveness and grindiness that they all speak of sounds like pretty much the opposite of what I want to play these days.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah, in reading all of these reviews of Starlink I'm really stuck in the middle. I love me a good spaceship game but the repetitiveness and grindiness that they all speak of sounds like pretty much the opposite of what I want to play these days.

All games are repetitive or grindy or feature a gameplay loop of somekind. It just depends on how good of a job they do at masking that loop. :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Siets posted:

All games are repetitive or grindy or feature a gameplay loop of somekind. It just depends on how good of a job they do at masking that loop. :)

Ubisoft is usually not very good at it.

I still want to play Starlink but I’ll wait until it’s discounted.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If playing the game itself is fun then having an excuse to keep playing is good

If it's a Skinner box it is bad

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

fezball posted:

I actually picked up a smartphone stylus to play TWEWY, and it helps a lot - the touch screen gameplay now feels pretty close to the DS (although I'd really like to have at least the sub-pin switching on a shoulder button). I still miss the dual screen combat, but at this point I'd call it a pretty decent port overall - if nothing else, the music benefits a lot from not coming out of a DS speaker.

Yeah, and the pin art is all super nice and worth taking a look at in HD. It's really a gorgeous game. My only beef is that it's weird how the clothes/food/sticker sprites are still pixelated. Maybe they lost the original art?

I also really enjoy how you activate different partners in different ways. It forces you to use different pins than you might usually. First partner being "tap the enemy" means that she appreciates Lightning Rook and force rounds, while third partner being "Press the enemy" means that he likes Blue Blood Burns Blue and One Grain, Infinite Promise. Second partner being slash downward is a little more awkward, but sword pins+Sweet Talk Tether seem to be doing the trick. Also second parther's fusion card game is a pain in the rear end with touchscreens :argh: I'm tapping as fast as I can!

I'm just glad more people are playing this game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lemming posted:

If playing the game itself is fun then having an excuse to keep playing is good

If it's a Skinner box it is bad

in the words of Reggie, "if the game isn't fun, why bother"

not all games have a grind loop, i.e. linear experiences with creative ways to play like DOOM or Dishonored. something like Destiny is absolutely a money pit though and even worse is that it's a pit continuously redesigned to gently caress with you, as if Bungie were the sick scientists who made a rotating death trap a la Cube and we're all the blubbering Kazan savants stuck in its wake

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I am purchasing either Assassin's Creed Odyssey for my PS4 or Starlink for Switch. I probably won't be able to decide until the moment of truth at the register.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I picked up TWEWY this weekend and am really enjoying it playing in handheld, i'd estimate I put in 8-10 hours this weekend which is a lot for me. Full disclosure though I've never played the original or even really seen video of the game play so it's very possible I just don't know what I am missing. Also, your arm will get really tired eventually. (I've been holding the switch with joycons attached in my off hand and playing with my dominant hand. A couple hours of that straight is rough).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am purchasing either Assassin's Creed Odyssey for my PS4 or Starlink for Switch. I probably won't be able to decide until the moment of truth at the register.

If you buy Starlink, the digital version is a better value unless you really want the toys. (I really want the toys)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Odyssey is very good. Hope this helps make your decision harder.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Odyssey is fun for a couple hours then it sinks in that the stealth is garbage and every single battle is the exact same except that some enemies take several minutes of repetive button mashing to kill and the much-touted RPG mechanics are entirely there to make the game more tedious and psychologically manipulate you into buying micro transactions for your full-price game and then you remember why you stopped buying these games half a decade ago and uninstall the game.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 15, 2018

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Augus posted:

Odyssey is fun for a couple hours then it sinks in that the stealth is garbage and every single battle is the exact same except that some enemies take several minutes of repetive button mashing to kill

That wasn't my experience with Super Mario Odyssey at all.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Speaking of grind, in Assassin's Creed Odyssey you can literally pay extra to reduce the game's grind.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/4/17936292/assassins-creed-odyssey-xp-boost-price
So like uhh, yeah.

Also I know Dunkey isn't a serious reviewer or anything, but his take on Assassin's Creed Odyssey is pretty telling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFAgO5WKnQA

Assassin's Creed has been a diceroll for a while, sometime's it's great, other times its a buggy mess or has something else holding it back. :shrug: As for Starlink, who knows. It's also Ubisoft, but the grift is right up front and you can opt out of it altogether if you go digital.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 15, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frankston posted:

That wasn't my experience with Super Mario Odyssey at all.

Mario Odyssey’s stealth mechanics are pretty bad too

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ewwww. Starlink getting some iffy reviews.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

THE loving MOON posted:

Speaking of grind, in Assassin's Creed Odyssey you can literally pay extra to reduce the game's grind.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/4/17936292/assassins-creed-odyssey-xp-boost-price
So like uhh, yeah.

It's only a grind if you don't want to play the game, or if you're a reviewer trying to rush the ending in two days.

Like it's pretty clear I'll hit the max level well before the halfway point.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There's never going to be another really and truly good Star Fox game is there

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Everything other than stealth in AC games has felt like trash. Fighting just feels so hollow.

I bit and bought Origins because I wanted to scope out the X Enhancements but after that wore off I uninstalled the game. I played it for maybe 15 hours.

Never liked those games. I've given them a shot but they all feel so lacking. Environments were good though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bombadilillo posted:

Ewwww. Starlink getting some iffy reviews.

Lol you don't say

With a lot of games, you can just tell they're gonna suck just by looking at a screenshot/blurb. In the internet though, it seems like every game ever manages to somehow generate some interest. Would this have even flown into the thread's radar if not for that weird star fox crossover? Coincidentally that's another sign that maybe the primary product is total stinky butt, no one in their right mind would want to associate a relevant quality product with an extremely dead franchise!

That said, even the ouya got tons of hype and heaps of cash thrown it's way with nothing more than some fluffy feel nice words so :shrug:

Oh well who cares about new games I'm 74 hours and barely 40% of the way through mhgu single player stuff. I may never escape this black hole

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Heath posted:

I guess I should be thankful

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

It's only a grind if you don't want to play the game, or if you're a reviewer trying to rush the ending in two days.

This is 100% true facts here. Game throws xp and weapons at you like candy. But Mario is Missing so https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831167&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

For more info on how polygon and jim sterling are wrong and dumb. And odyssey is good

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Heath posted:

You're becoming more like your father

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Heath posted:

I guess Andross won't have his way with me :(

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

Fair enough.

Metacritic is such a joke. It's kind of funny looking at the list of apparently acceptable reviews and seeing the obvious clickbait outliers that are all "It's perfect, just sublime :angel:", or "It's poo poo, I'll never get back those lost hours god i have so many regrets". Or the ones that are like "It's solid! 3/5" which metacritic translates to a 60.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

save your money, don't buy Starlink or AssCreed, buy Hitman 2 and support a bunch of devs who wrestled free from the jaws of Squeenix trying to kill them but somehow made it out alive, doing what pretty much every single EA studio wishes they could have done

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All the reviews I've seen for it have been pretty good so far

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im gonna get hitman

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Al Borland Corpse posted:

For me ~80 is pretty dang good if it's something that grabs my interest. I generally enjoy musou, but they always review like poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

Also I know Dunkey isn't a serious reviewer or anything, but his take on Assassin's Creed Odyssey is pretty telling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFAgO5WKnQA

honestly this video has only made me want to play this hosed up game more

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

yeah, honestly the most damning thing is "It can get repetitive", which honestly isn't the worst thing you could say about a game like that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Super No Vacancy posted:

im gonna get hitman

Don't get hit man, you gotta look out for your physical well being if you are about to go into a situation where you think you might get hit, man get outta there

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Thank you thread for helping me make the decision to get Starlink over Asscreed. I played Origins for about 2 hours last year and found it janky and boring, so even if Odyssey is improved I probably still wouldn't care for it much. Red Dead is only 2 weeks away anyways so I will enjoy my babby space shooter until then.

Oh, while I'm clearly talking about things that don't really have much to do with Switch, I purchased Luigi's Mansion for 3DS over the weekend. I never played it on GC but Dark Moon is one of my favorite games. Anyways, it's fun but nowhere near as good as Dark Moon so it's a little bit hard to go back. Can't wait for LM3 though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thank you thread for helping me make the decision to get Starlink over Asscreed. I played Origins for about 2 hours last year and found it janky and boring, so even if Odyssey is improved I probably still wouldn't care for it much. Red Dead is only 2 weeks away anyways so I will enjoy my babby space shooter until then.

Oh, while I'm clearly talking about things that don't really have much to do with Switch, I purchased Luigi's Mansion for 3DS over the weekend. I never played it on GC but Dark Moon is one of my favorite games. Anyways, it's fun but nowhere near as good as Dark Moon so it's a little bit hard to go back. Can't wait for LM3 though.

Odyssey makes origins look like the proof of concept prototype it was. Its AC2 to AC.

But enjoy whatever gaming purchase you decide on.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Still torn on Starlink. Has any of the reviews said if you can play it with a pro controller? If it's joy cons only that's definitely a deal breaker for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Get Star Link at the very least its a new IP and not something thats been around for 15 years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Get Star Link at the very least its a new IP and not something thats been around for 15 years.

Almost all hype and interest in this thread for the game is because of StarFox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I read they had developers regularly working 100 hour weeks on Red Dead 2. Just, holy poo poo, dudes.

What's crunch time like at Nintendo, do they have the same problem or do Japanese labor laws mitigate this somewhat?

Red Dead 2 has real time horse testicle shrinkage and horse digestive system... was this necessary?

I'm not saying not to buy Red Dead 2, just saying the labor practices of the games industry are shocking and horrible (I'm sure it was similar in Assassin's Creed and Starlink as well)