Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looks like D&D is getting a new game designer. Cause they are recruiting for one.

https://twitter.com/Wizards_Jobs/status/1050898421903572997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Gladiatorial combat wielding hardcover core rules books.

Then Mearls comes in out of nowhere with a folding chair to take out the winner.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

The cynic in me notes that they are specifically asking for basically amateur enthusiasts and that is not a good sign

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They do expect at least three production credits... which I could probably claim to have myself after about 18 months in an adjacent industry, so ???.

hmm

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Be the change you want in this edition, or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DoctorWhat posted:

They do expect at least three production credits... which I could probably claim to have myself after about 18 months in an adjacent industry, so ???.

hmm

Actually you could do it in about an day or even quicker if you wanted to be real lazy. DM's Guild stuff counts. (Though given that they are going to check what your products are. I doubt they would hire anyone that just put out 3 half rear end DM's guild books.)

Also Robert Schwalb of Shadow of the Demon Lord plans to do more D&D stuff in other news.

https://schwalbentertainment.com/2018/10/12/introducing-max-press/

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 15, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
(X-posted)

Hey, remember when everyone was saying they couldn't really mean eSports when WotC was talking D&D and eSports?

They really meant eSports.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5709-DnDSports-Competitive-Play-With-Prizes

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

(X-posted)

Hey, remember when everyone was saying they couldn't really mean eSports when WotC was talking D&D and eSports?

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5709-DnDSports-Competitive-Play-With-Prizes

Oh dear.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Competition is a pretty bad place for non- mechanical rules language.

Edit: also, ban phase? Can someone ban wizards? Are they making pcs on the spot? Tournament ok'd pregens?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"the versatility of 5e combat" ahahaha

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lmao

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Goon Designers pre-disqualified for expecting playtests to be playtests.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

(X-posted)

Holy poo poo what the gently caress that is hilarious

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Competition is a pretty bad place for non- mechanical rules language.

Edit: also, ban phase? Can someone ban wizards? Are they making pcs on the spot? Tournament ok'd pregens?

It looks like they're "working closely with over a dozen talented DMs to make 15 pregens." This is hilarious.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://dndsports.tv/news/what-is-dndsports/

quote:

DnDSports is the first online D&D Tournament in a cooperative Party vs Party setting from EncounterRoleplay & DnDBeyond with a grand prize of $5,000. Over the course of 4 weeks, 16 players will compete in teams of 4 in single elimination games. Each game is a best of 3 arena battle and played via Roll20.

How is it Played?

The full rules for DnDSports will be released shortly after our next round of Playtesting. We don’t claim to have created perfect balance, nor is that our aim, as every competitive game has an element of strategy. We’re also implementing MOBA-esque mechanics such as a Pick/Ban phase to help expand the strategy. We’ve been working closely with over a dozen talented DMs to create 15 pre-generated characters from which the players will choose, and adapt the pre-existing Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition rules.

From what I can ascertain, it's literally going to be a tactical PvP game using Pre-gens and run off of 5th edition. As opposed to, say, building a system from the ground up for this, they're just using a preexisting one and forcing it to fit. It's basically Krossmaster Arena, but with DnD

Edit: missed the cooperative part. Idk wtf.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 15, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao this is a contender for worst idea i've ever seen

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xelkelvos posted:

https://dndsports.tv/news/what-is-dndsports/

From what I can ascertain, it's literally going to be a tactical PvP game using Pre-gens and run off of 5th edition. As opposed to, say, building a system from the ground up for this, they're just using a preexisting one and forcing it to fit. It's basically Krossmaster Arena, but with DnD

so basically the hasbro execs finally noticed dnd and decided to gently caress it up with capitalist incompetence

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

lmao this is a contender for worst idea i've ever seen

It doesn’t have a nuclear button attached so it is marginally better than Trump 2016, but only slightly so

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
announcer voice]: i think hes gotta roll to attack here, i dont know what else he could do

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

quote:

But D&D Shouldn’t be an eSport?!
It’s not an eSport. We created something that would make competitive gamers feel safe and comfortable trying out D&D5e for the first time. It’s a new way to display the versatility of combat in D&D5e in a unique setting. We encourage you to respect the way different people play D&D because we know that this will be a fun event and there is no wrong to play D&D, as long as you are having fun!

"Steve for gently caress sake I know it's your first time but stop roleplaying! We need to kill the dragon first, there's five grand on the line!"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Flashbacks to the D&D Open at Gen Cons of old.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

It doesn’t have a nuclear button attached so it is marginally better than Trump 2016, but only slightly so

This also marks it as slightly better than Fallout 76!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I wonder if they’re going to ruin a lot of normal DMs games by introducing a bunch of Charop to their players?

E: Also swing and a miss on their audience. They should have called it D&DWar not D&DSports.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 15, 2018

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Can't wait to main ChadWizard

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So its a dungeon with two parties in it, and whoever finishes first wins, I guess? Are the two teams going to have separate GMs and if so, what if they rule differently on something, allowing one team to get an advantage? If there's one GM, good luck keeping everything rolling at once.

Can't wait to see a party of nothing but Bards just rip through everything though!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
All the selectable characters are pregens, so there's nominally the possibility of balance, but it seems extra video-gamey in that regard.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I am very interested in how they will make a competition out of a game that literally requires multiple people to make poo poo up on the fly.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Can't wait to see the party of archer fighters speedrun the dungeon, minimizing turn time by never moving and rolling all their attack and damage dice at the same time.

By never using AoE effects or abilities that require the DM to roll saves or make rulings, and not interacting with the battlemap as much as possible, they minimize the battletime used.

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 15, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao they're trying to turn D&D into a videogame but for real this time y'all

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I think it'll have to be the most RAW-focused, creativity-punishing D&D ever, because that's the only way they can even feign a semblance of consistency between parties. If someone leaps over a balcony and attempts a plunging attack, a normal DM can tell them to make an acrobatics check and deal 2d6 extra damage. In something ostensibly competitive with money on the line, I can't imagine trying to adjudicate the edgecases inherent to creative play in a sufficiently consistent manner to mollify people.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Like, 5e isn't a hard-coded enough ruleset for this.

Bring back 4e for it and we'll talk.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Announcer: I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH A NAT 20 IN MY LIFE *crowd goes wild*

Maybe it'll just be scripted

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Can’t wait to watch the worst parts of 5e and MOBAs all smooshed together. I do want a Team Kobold jersey though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
OH MAH GAWD THAT'S TORDEK'S MUSIC!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tetracube posted:

Announcer: I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH A NAT 20 IN MY LIFE *crowd goes wild*

Maybe it'll just be scripted

It'd probably be more interesting if it was. As it stands, I expect it to be two parties rushing to the end and be the first to kill the boss/grab the loot with 1 GM and everything tracked by action/dungeon rounds. All the teams will probably be pre-briefed on how creative they can be and what kind of "stunts" can be pulled and how they'd be adjudicated. Everything will probably end up relatively dry as a result.

The only way to make it interesting while still be a competition is to not do it live and film two sets: a played version where the results are generated and the rules lawyering is done, and a dramatic version where it's the same results but everything is actually exciting and edited to be more shocking or surprising.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
lmao this rules

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
its gonna be pvp arena battles

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
If it's two parties competing does this mean whoever does "best" wins, or that they get to cheap out and say "Both teams lose!" by siccing the legends of the hidden temple guards on them right at the finish line? Or simply pure clusterfuck causing a fizzle of an anticlimax

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

dwarf74 posted:

OH MAH GAWD THAT'S TORDEK'S MUSIC!

STRAHD: YOU ALL BOUGHT IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
a ) There's suddenly a lot more to classes being unbalanced in a competitive situation. It turns out, people will care about the math after all!

b ) For all the poo poo 4e got: literally taking stuff from video games.

c ) What level is this gonna be? How many optional rules (like feats) will be in play?