Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hate how destiny 2 downgraded the amount of people in a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Oh go gently caress yourself modern advertising industry! Did you seriously just do this?

Am I going to get Destiny 2 ads now too? Cool, thanks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

I hate how destiny 2 downgraded the amount of people in a match.

They changed that back because everyone else did too

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Oh go gently caress yourself modern advertising industry! Did you seriously just do this?
]
Am I going to get Destiny 2 ads now too? Cool, thanks.
Yes. Also, yes.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Warframe costs an increasing amount of whaletokens to buy slots for, so keep that in mind once you find many things worth using~

You can get premium currency trivially by selling things you earn by playing the game for free. The whaleconomy is there for goons to exploit

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did I hear right? Certain items now have level requirements?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

According to matn, there's damage normalisation between players of different levels that fight one another (so weaker players get some sort of buff, and vice versa). Another thing I have no idea how they will sensibly balance.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rinkles posted:

I thought this was every item

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

how do you repair weapons? with specific types and amounts of junk?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Rinkles posted:

how do you repair weapons? with specific types and amounts of junk?

I believe so, yeah. I think one of those Greenbrier videos said that you don't just combine weapons of the same type together anymore but you can scrap weapons for junk then use that junk to repair other weapons or build or whatnot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

does that require a workbench?

(also i might not end up playing this at launch, my brother (who's copy I would be using) is having second thoughts about preordering)

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Rinkles posted:

According to matn, there's damage normalisation between players of different levels that fight one another (so weaker players get some sort of buff, and vice versa). Another thing I have no idea how they will sensibly balance.

I really hope down the line they have Pvp only or 'Hardcore' servers. No pvp balance, no players on the map, everyone is hostile. Sorry, but a level 81 in fully upgraded T-60F with a Fat Man shouldn't be a fair fight for a level 7 with a pipe revolver. Every other pvp game has had high level people who gently caress with low levels, and yet we survived and still play them.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Rinkles posted:

does that require a workbench?

(also i might not end up playing this at launch, my brother (who's copy I would be using) is having second thoughts about preordering)

Yes, scrapping or repairing requires a workbench. You can make one at your camp or find them scattered throughout the world.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
are there production tiers and assembly lines and poo poo? the best part about conan was progressing from wood to stone to finally getting metal weapons and tools, then unlocking new technology that required you to have different production lines. this seems like it will have none of that?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Gay Horney posted:

are there production tiers and assembly lines and poo poo? the best part about conan was progressing from wood to stone to finally getting metal weapons and tools, then unlocking new technology that required you to have different production lines. this seems like it will have none of that?

Crafting is barred behind individual recipes and perks, but I think that's about as far as it goes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rinkles posted:

yeah you have to be level 5 to use a 10mm pistol now :laffo:

and 35 to use a minigun

it should be strength requirements if they want people to not use good weapons too soon but not blueball people so hard

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yeah you have to be level 5 to use a 10mm pistol now :laffo:

and 35 to use a minigun

it should be strength requirements if they want people to not use good weapons too soon but not blueball people so hard

I don't see the issue with level requirements. This is a well known and tested mechanic in multiplayer RPGs. It encourages people to play more by giving them more frequent short-term goals to obtain between the bigger long-term goals.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting the impression this game doesn't know what it wants to be.

It's not quite a base building game, it's not a survival game, it's not a story based RPG game, it's not a hardcore pvp game.

I guess it's a loot game?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fallout 3 balanced getting sniper rifles and gatling lasers early on by simply just not having its ammo available for you to use freely until the level spawned it

it falls apart once you install broken steel, but that was one of the few smart design decisions they made regarding "balancing" content

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

It seems that since there are places with high level guns just lying on a spot - like the minigun and plasma pistol, then those level requirements will be the way the game gates content. I don't think its a well thought out system since there is already item degradation and perk requirements ( i think some weapons need perks to use ie some energy weapons) You may have to have the right level of strength/int/perception to use an item + the right level + the right perk cards + whatever you need to make and carry the ammo with all that entails. The closest similar system I can think of was the MMO The secret world.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

xutech posted:

It seems that since there are places with high level guns just lying on a spot - like the minigun and plasma pistol, then those level requirements will be the way the game gates content. I don't think its a well thought out system since there is already item degradation and perk requirements ( i think some weapons need perks to use ie some energy weapons) You may have to have the right level of strength/int/perception to use an item + the right level + the right perk cards + whatever you need to make and carry the ammo with all that entails. The closest similar system I can think of was the MMO The secret world.

So fallout 76 will be flawed but good?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Mr Hootington posted:

So fallout 76 will be flawed but good?

I think that the closest space Fallout 76 will occupy will be that of Minecraft realms, and that that is what the designers are aiming for - small servers of people hanging out. And later on mods to add some different rules to those servers to keep them interesting. You could also look at it as running a dungeon instance in an mmo, but with building as well.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I threw down my fiver for the beta today

it's weird that instead of just printing me a PS4 code to redeem, I was printed a code to redeem on the Bethesda website and now Bethesda will e-mail me instructions for getting on the PS4 beta when it's time

I get that they want more folks signing up for their website but poo poo

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They're actually holding you hostage... you've just described the process in which a ransom is paid.

If you don't follow the instructions exactly as they've laid them out, they'll kill you. And remember, no cops.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I threw down my fiver for the beta today

it's weird that instead of just printing me a PS4 code to redeem, I was printed a code to redeem on the Bethesda website and now Bethesda will e-mail me instructions for getting on the PS4 beta when it's time

I get that they want more folks signing up for their website but poo poo

Welcome to the dystopian nightmare timeline where every company decides to try to build their own walled garden ecosystem and where almost all of them are unusable piles of dog poo poo shovelware produced for pennies in South Asia.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I'll bet they're going to e-mail me the instructions when they figure them out

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tenzarin posted:

Did you make a rhino warframe that drops from the first boss in the game and also make a hek shotgun so you can blast space alien rear end?

Rhino + hek is a good way to live that life.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Rinkles posted:

i don't know who this game is for

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zelder posted:

For Zenimax shareholders. They want a piece of that sweet sweet fortnite moola.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

For Zenimax shareholders. They want a piece of that sweet sweet fortnite moola.

The appeal of Fortnite is on his Battle Royale, and the type of gameplay Fallout 76 will provide can't be more different.

The appeal of Fallout 76 seems to be more on people that played Rust, DayZ, Ark,... and they did not found these games streamlined enough, so they are creating a version with wide appeal that copy features from World of Warcraft games.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So they looked at a genre and said 'we want ot make one of those' but they wanted to make it different to appeal to people who don't like that genre while also ruining alot of the stuff that people who enjoy that genre like?

So now the people who might've liked Fallout: Rust are turned off by the changes and people who didn't like Fallout: Rust aren't convinced?

Genius.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, if you believe what Bethesda says (and I don't have any reason not to) the idea first started as a multiplayer Fallout 4 prototype that they didn't have time/manpower to integrate into the main game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, if you believe what Bethesda says (and I don't have any reason not to) the idea first started as a multiplayer Fallout 4 prototype that they didn't have time/manpower to integrate into the main game.

It's become very painfully obvious that this was meant to be part of FO4 but they didn't have the time to do it. So they spun it off as a full priced standalone but I'm not sure it's fleshed out enough to justify.

We'll see pretty soon I guess. The more I see of it the less interested I've found myself.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
same. i defended the cash shop ardently in this thread mostly because people were being so dumb it polarized me but I'm skipping this for sure

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They should have looked at FarCry 5 for their multiplayer. Basically just drop-in co-op but otherwise nothing different from the single player experience. Maybe they could also steal from Watch Dogs 2 and have players randomly pop up in each other’s games where they could either PvP or trade or team up. Make it just another random wasteland event.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Zelder posted:

I guess me. I liked the exploring in Fallout 4 but thought the story was silly and wished it had multiplayer. :shrug:

I'm still trying to figure out why people are mad they are adding more traditional RPG elements. Wasn't one of the big complaints about FO4 that it felt too much like an action shooter and not enough like an RPG?

:hfive:

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 16, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^^ :hfive: ^^^

Zelder posted:

It's for me.

It's meant to be co-op with a little bit of PvP.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

"FO4 Multiplayer" would be best as like, one or two other people. Just me, my buddy, and Valentine running around together, I wouldn't even care if it forced both players to always be in the same cell or whatever. We don't have to get too far away from each other.

Actually I just had a thought: Emotes! What kind of emotes will there be? Can I Fortnight dance in Fallout? Can I do a jaunty whistling walk? Can I /smooch Mothman? Now thats what really matters. Emotes. Give me emotes based off all the Pipboy perk animations. Like, let me type /bloodymess and make my character just fuckin instagib. Why not. gently caress it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think emotes are the major game feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Wrr posted:

Actually I just had a thought: Emotes! What kind of emotes will there be? Can I Fortnight dance in Fallout? Can I do a jaunty whistling walk? Can I /smooch Mothman? Now thats what really matters. Emotes. Give me emotes based off all the Pipboy perk animations. Like, let me type /bloodymess and make my character just fuckin instagib. Why not. gently caress it.