Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you can definitely use the offer as a barometer for what you are worth in negotiations to see if your current joint is screwing you or not

just don't tell your current joint you have this information from an offer or they'll think you will be jumping ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Betazoid posted:

My boss asked me to start supervising our temps (3-7 of them at any given time), onboarding new ones, giving trainings, managing their assignments, and basically being their boss so he can be the boss of the 7 full-time employees he has (including me).

I wrote up a role description and played with our org chart to tinker with lines of report (or communications, whatever). I think this could be a good thing for my resume, I've managed a team in the past, and I know I can do this in addition to my regular duties without much trouble (maybe half an hour of work extra a day).

1. What can I call myself? We have formalized roles with the titles of Assistant, Coordinator, and Manager, and I don't think I will be allowed to use any of those. Is Team Liaison too dinky? My official title is Editor so I'd be on the org chart as Editor / Team Liaison. Maybe Team Lead would be better? I don't want Temp in it because it sounds like a temp promotion for me.

2. We only do performance evaluations once a year, in April. I want to ask for a raise now because this is beyond my job description and I already do more than the other Editors. Any phrasing or just good vibes for asking for a raise now?

3. What do I do in April? Assuming they give me a bump now for these additional responsibilities, would I still be able to negotiate for a raise in April?

4. Previous bumps in this job were 4.5% my first year and 3% my second year. I want to ask for 5%, but I feel almost certain that will be denied (my org is very rigid on pay bands), or the boss will say "I may be able to do 5% in April, but not now."

Thoughts? I'm reading all the blogs about this, but a goon perspective is appreciated (said no one ever). THANK YOU!

So, after meeting with my boss twice about this, today I met with my boss and boss's boss. The boss's boss seemed quite aware of the workload and listened very carefully to my pitch. I provided a new org chart, a Team Lead role description (that included responsibilities, competencies, duty allocation, and reporting hierarchy) and a sample piece of work that this role would produce (I made an onboarding checklist because I swear my boss has never seen one). It went super well overall. I think it will be approved and I think I'll get a raise, too.

My boss's face, though, throughout, as it seemed like a. I'm pretty good at this, and b. maybe he's not so good at this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Did you ask for a raise? "Think" does not sound very promising at all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Did you ask for a raise?

e: just realized I parroted the other dude

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 6, 2018

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Yes! In the one-on-one with my direct boss I said I wanted a 5% bump. He said he'd raise that with his boss. But I didn't bring it up with her because they had already met to discuss the new role. I think he brought it to her then, but I'm not positive. I sort of chickened out of bringing it up with her myself. Maybe that was stupid. It's actually my boss's boss's boss (Department VP, god we have so many levels) who will decide if I get the raise, the title change, and the responsibilities.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
A 5% bump for what sounds like a whole additional set of responsibilities is a bargain for the company. Probably too late to fix it now, but you could have asked for a lot more.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
So hear me out thread: 6 months ago, I got an internship at a small firm from a job board, promising x salary if the internship gets upgraded to a full time offer. Just a few days ago, the boss likes me, I like the place, sends me an offer that is about $8,000 off from x salary 6 months ago. Ask for a raise, but he only gave me a few more holidays. He must have think I forgot about the job posting. What's best way about this? I still have the saved job post with x salary, and I think I will send it as an attachment nonchalantly without any comments in the email?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Xtronoc posted:

So hear me out thread: 6 months ago, I got an internship at a small firm from a job board, promising x salary if the internship gets upgraded to a full time offer. Just a few days ago, the boss likes me, I like the place, sends me an offer that is about $8,000 off from x salary 6 months ago. Ask for a raise, but he only gave me a few more holidays. He must have think I forgot about the job posting. What's best way about this? I still have the saved job post with x salary, and I think I will send it as an attachment nonchalantly without any comments in the email?
Don't be passive aggressive about it. Sending it as an attachment with no comments just sends the message that you won't even confront him about it, let alone leave over it. Research your market worth and ask for that. What was in the original post is meaningless, and what you think you're worth is meaningless. Find out what the market says you're worth and ask for that.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug

Dik Hz posted:

Don't be passive aggressive about it. Sending it as an attachment with no comments just sends the message that you won't even confront him about it, let alone leave over it. Research your market worth and ask for that. What was in the original post is meaningless, and what you think you're worth is meaningless. Find out what the market says you're worth and ask for that.

Good points, thanks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
On the other hand, don't work for people who lie to you. And especially don't let people get away with lying to you and continue to work for them anyway.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Xtronoc posted:

Personally I'd act under the assumption that he himself forgot (or never even knew) about the details of the posting. If you have a strong market-value case to get more than the posting, great, ask for that, but you absolutely shouldn't accept less, and should gently and politely remind him of it if you can't get more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ralith posted:

Personally I'd act under the assumption that he himself forgot (or never even knew) about the details of the posting. If you have a strong market-value case to get more than the posting, great, ask for that, but you absolutely shouldn't accept less, and should gently and politely remind him of it if you can't get more.

I would operate from an assumption of ignorance or forgetting as well. It's possible that HR posted the job description originally and didn't communicate, or maybe this was a new tactic to try to get candidates and is not in keeping with prior policy. Assuming forgetfulness or ignorance is only upside for you. It gives the boss the opportunity to correct themselves if they truly did not know or forgot, and it gives them the opportunity to save face and keep you if they were trying to lowball you, and if they tell you "sorry no can do" you know they're a fuckhead.

If you just email the attachment (by the way: what on earth made you think that was a good idea?), you look like you cannot communicate, are hostile, and too cowardly to have a decent conversation. If you really want to destroy your relationship with your boss, by all means, do that middle-school poo poo.

I also don't understand why you "asked for a raise" rather than just saying "hey when I applied for this job the salary posted was X if I got a fulltime offer, here's the posting, I am confused as to why you are offering me less than X now."

Eric the Mauve posted:

On the other hand, don't work for people who lie to you. And especially don't let people get away with lying to you and continue to work for them anyway.

I agree with this, but the best way to find out if they're lying or incompetent is by communicating and using your words.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are so many bullshit bureaucratic and HR reasons why this could be a simple misunderstanding that I would say it's oddly aggressive to jump straight to saying the counterparty is lying. It's completely possible. But assume good will and trust, but verify.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I had my second interview today and at the end they asked about my desired range and i didn’t say a range. I’m said I prefer not to answer which isn’t the best but we had talked a lot about my value already. I did ask for a budget and they declined.

They are emailing me an offer and I hope it is at the top of their range. Thanks thread! I’m buzzing.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

NNick posted:

They are emailing me an offer and I hope it is at the top of their range. Thanks thread! I’m buzzing.
Best case is that it's at the top of your range, and the bottom of theirs--which you can then negotiate your way up from.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Ralith posted:

Best case is that it's at the top of your range, and the bottom of theirs--which you can then negotiate your way up from.

They sent their offer in late - they said by Friday but didn't send until today.

They wanted to see if their offer was 'in the ballpark' and it is below my minimum. I'm currently making $65K but I'm recommended for promotion. My company is dragging their feet because we are merging and people are preoccupied. I still should get it early next year putting me above $70K. I also feel well positioned if there is reorg.

Their offer is for $75K plus 2% 401K (currently 0 at my current job). I also get a $400 stipend to choose purchase my own medical plan. I'm concerned.

I'm thinking about asking for $85K - which was the minimum. I was hoping for $90K. Thoughts?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Is the work worse than what you're doing now? It seems to me 75k is already better than your current situation. Would you turn down anything less than 85k so you can maybe make 75k in a year?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
This breaks my heart:

quote:

I'm currently making $65K but I'm recommended for promotion.
Your childhood pet didn't go to a farm either. :smith:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

It's not you, it's them. They're just not ready for a commitment.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

bamhand posted:

Is the work worse than what you're doing now? It seems to me 75k is already better than your current situation. Would you turn down anything less than 85k so you can maybe make 75k in a year?

The work would be more stressful, I'd have people under me, and there are more menial responsibilities I'm not too thrilled about doing. I also would not have the same job security I have here and I don't have any parents or family fallback on should I lose my job.

For comparison, at my current company similar roles but with less responsibilities are upwards of $85K+.

I guess should I just ask for $85K, which my initial figure?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

NNick posted:

The work would be more stressful, I'd have people under me, and there are more menial responsibilities I'm not too thrilled about doing. I also would not have the same job security I have here and I don't have any parents or family fallback on should I lose my job.

For comparison, at my current company similar roles but with less responsibilities are upwards of $85K+.

I guess should I just ask for $85K, which my initial figure?

If you want 85k, ask for 95-100k. They’ll most likely counter offer.

That said, the job security you think you have now (most likely) means nothing. The moment it becomes more viable to fire you than it is to keep you around, you’ll be out.

Do not get lulled into a false sense of security if that keeps you away from 20-35k a year! Put the extra cash into your bank account as an emergency fund for the first half year and you’ve built your own financial safety net. After that start enjoying the shitload of cash you earned just by asking for it or taking a new job.

Godline
Jun 17, 2013
Got a great performance review for second year in a row so asked for a raise. Got told business is looking at redundancies and its probably best if we dont get your name up in front of management asking for more money when there is lay offs. Sounded fine with me at the time but I now hear that we are likely hiring another person of my grade to support the work load its going to increase 3 fold over the next 6 months.
Am I better off just looking for a new job instead of wasting my time bringing the pay rise back up. Part of me just wants to rip the guy a new one and call him out on his blatant lies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Godline posted:

Got a great performance review for second year in a row so asked for a raise. Got told business is looking at redundancies and its probably best if we dont get your name up in front of management asking for more money when there is lay offsI can pickup if you're in Ottawa. Sounded fine with me at the time but I now hear that we are likely hiring another person of my grade to support the work load its going to increase 3 fold over the next 6 months.
Am I better off just looking for a new job instead of wasting my time bringing the pay rise back up. Part of me just wants to rip the guy a new one and call him out on his blatant lies.

lol

go looking for a new job dude. ripping the guy gets you nothing but burnt bridges

Godline
Jun 17, 2013
Thanks for confirmation it is pretty funny.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

My current job has a really good 401k match (full match up to 8%) and I plan to use that to my advantage when negotiating for my new ones. Of the companies that post their benefits info online, I'm seeing some really crappy matches (like 3% match if you contribute over 6%). I assume changing the match for individual employees isn't something a company could do, so when I ask for more money in base salary, how should I be calculating it? An extra 5% of the offered salary? How do taxes/the tax advantage of a 401k factor into this?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I don't exactly know about the other part but I will confirm that a company cannot flex their 401k match for any single individual. It has to be equal for everybody.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I can't say exactly how to calculate it, but you would definitely be shortchanging yourself asking for only an additional 5%. I would take whatever value that 5% is equal to and increase that by at least 30% to make up for the fact you will be paying income tax on that before it hits your 401k.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Jordan7hm posted:

I can pickup if you're in Ottawa.

I love that your clipboard snippet got caught in this post I think. I bet because ctrl+v is next to ctrl+b. Were you buying something (hard drugs) from Craigslist?

Hoodwinker posted:

I don't exactly know about the other part but I will confirm that a company cannot flex their 401k match for any single individual. It has to be equal for everybody.

Is this codified in law? I think there are stipulatons about 401k access for cohorts within each company but perhaps not the amount of 401k match.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 16, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Something Offal posted:

I love that your clipboard snippet got caught in this post I think. I bet because ctrl+v is next to ctrl+b. Were you buying something (hard drugs) from Craigslist?

Hah. Oops. I am a nerd and am buying board games off Facebook.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Something Offal posted:

Is this codified in law? I think there are stipulatons about 401k access for cohorts within each company but perhaps not the amount of 401k match.

There are a ton of stipulations around matching to prevent companies from giving more money to management. I don't know if the match percentage is controlled, but there are tests around actual deferral, contribution, and top heaviness of the plan that effectively mean no employer is going to touch matching percentages.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I can't speak to how large companies operate their 401ks, but a lot of smaller companies use Safe Harbor 401k plans that are pretty inflexible in their rules, which is kind of the point of it since it sidesteps the red tape of the annual non-discrimination test.

One of the key rules of a Safe Harbor plan is that all employees/participants be offered matches of an equal percentage of their salary (e.g., 5%).

One of the other benefits (to the employee) of a Safe Harbor 401k is that all matches must be vested immediately.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Cool, I didn't realize Safe Harbor/equality regulations applied to match percentages as well. Good to know.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Help.

I finally got an offer after looking for a new job since April. I gave my current employer notice today, and they gave me an unexpectedly generous counteroffer.

Let me give a bit of background. I've worked at the same company for a little over 3 years. It's an incredibly tiny clinical research company, with about 20-25 people. As such, I've enjoyed a huge amount of freedom in the kind of work I could do, but with low expectations for advancement. I fully appreciate the experience I've gotten here and have basically been able to teach myself database and statistical programming on the job. Despite there being two senior programmers above me, I've become the expert of the new database software we started adopting shortly after I started, and I'm often the one putting out fires when things go awry. Not to toot my own horn, but I fill a pretty unique role for the company and they'd be pretty boned without me.

For the past year, I've been pretty miserable thinking that I was trapped and would never grow career-wise. I was doing quality, critical work and had nothing to show for it, so I started aggressively looking for a new job. Interviews led nowhere, and I was starting to feel like my experience was way too niche and spread thin for any decent company to take me. Additionally, my picky rear end only wanted my next job to be remote. Well, it took 6 months, but I finally got an offer doing remote work at a similar (but much, much larger) company for $27k more than my current salary. I was ecstatic and thought I had my mind made up until I gave my boss notice today.

After telling my manager, she discussed it with the owner of the company. They brought me in for a meeting and offered me a $32k raise (basically 66%) with 5k immediate bonus and to adjust my title to something more appropriate (which definitely looks great on a resume). I mentioned my preference for working remote, and they agreed to letting me work from home 4 days a week. I had underestimated what they were capable of offering, so this caught me by surprise. Also, I've been talking to co-workers and knew that my manager has been trying to get me a raise for a while, which was confirmed today. They fully acknowledged that my skills far exceeded what I was making, mentioning that budget concerns over the past two years were the biggest reason for their slowness to act.

Now, I admit I'm a bit of a sap. I feel some loyalty to the company because I was struggling before I started there. The owner and my mom also have some history. In fact, my mom was the one mentoring me on my job search because she knows how frugal the owner can be. But I'm making sure not to let guilt or personal ties be a deciding factor. The biggest factor making this decision hard is the variety of work. I still enjoy the work I get to do and I get to learn a lot. If I didn't, I would've snapped months ago. I worry that at the new job, I would have a very narrow role and wouldn't really get a chance to learn different skills. On the flip side, the new job probably has more financial potential in the long run. The benefits are strictly better than what I have currently, and yearly raises are pretty much a given, with the possibility of bonuses. My current company doesn't do bonuses, and probably only does raises if you make a big enough fuss, which is definitely not my ideal.

Finally, in terms of what I want long term, I'm not really planning to stay in this industry. I eventually would like to transition toward (but maybe not exactly) software development. I really don't want to be locked into this industry, so building a wide technical skill set is really important to me. I fear that going to the new company would essentially be making a commitment to do this for several more years.

So in summary
New job:
$27k salary raise (unless they counter counter offer)
Fully remote
+Excellent benefits, the most attractive of which is education assistance. I'm thinking of going back to my alma mater for a CS degree, but this doesn't kick in until a year of employment.
+Large company that looks good on a resume
+Yearly reviews/raises, bonus potential
-Narrower role, may limit my options for career growth

Current job:
$32k salary raise
Remote w/ 1 day in office (not a big deal)
Pretty minimal, but standard benefits
-Small company
-No yearly reviews, raises hard to come by
+Variety of responsibilities, wider array of skills to develop
+Fairly certain I'd have good job security

What do?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I have a feeling you’ll be told to jump ship, which is what I would do. If your mom knows the boss is frugal and they’re willing to bump you now, will you ever get another bump?

I also work in clinical research. Are you going to one of the CROs?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

I have a feeling you’ll be told to jump ship, which is what I would do. If your mom knows the boss is frugal and they’re willing to bump you now, will you ever get another bump?

I also work in clinical research. Are you going to one of the CROs?

Yes, Novella (part of IQVIA).

I actually really doubt they'd let me go, since I'm the InForm expert and the company would instantly lose a lot of collective knowledge.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 18, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly man, I might stay. 4 days remote is good. The promotion is good.

Look again in 6-12 months obviously, but look from a position where the new salary and title is your baseline.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's a good offer but I would still jump ship, assuming the other company matches when you go and tell them you got a better offer from another company (which I think they will).

Usually when this situation happens, it's because your current employer knows they are F-U-C-K-E-D in the short term if you leave, and so they'll pay whatever it takes to keep you in the short term... giving them time enough to prepare for life without you, before they cut you loose and replace you cheaper.

That doesn't happen every time. Just know it happens more often than not. You might be an exception to the rule. But if you do decide to stay, please at least be aware of the strong possibility that you will turn out not to be an exception to the rule, after all, and keep your eyes open.

Basically what I'm getting at is: because of the fundamental human resistance to change, you think jumping is riskier than staying. Actually, staying is riskier. More comfortable short-term, but riskier medium-term.

If you really badly want to stay, by all means, stay. Just don't have any illusions about that.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 18, 2018

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Yes, Novella (part of IQVIA).

I actually really doubt they'd let me go, since I'm the InForm expert and the company would instantly lose a lot of collective knowledge.

Gotcha. I’m at one of the other CROs, but I’m on the clinical management side. The industry is pretty incestuous and there’s plenty of CROs. If you get your info on LinkedIn, you’d be surprised how often you get contacted by recruiters, always with jumps in pay. I’m more familiar with the ones that use Medidata though, I’ve not used Inform. Good luck, whatever you choose. You’ll never want to give up working remote if you get the opportunity.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's a good offer but I would still jump ship, assuming the other company matches when you go and tell them you got a better offer from another company (which I think they will).

Usually when this situation happens, it's because your current employer knows they are F-U-C-K-E-D in the short term if you leave, and so they'll pay whatever it takes to keep you in the short term... giving them time enough to prepare for life without you, before they cut you loose and replace you cheaper.

That doesn't happen every time. Just know it happens more often than not. You might be an exception to the rule. But if you do decide to stay, please at least be aware of the strong possibility that you will turn out not to be an exception to the rule, after all, and keep your eyes open.

Basically what I'm getting at is: because of the fundamental human resistance to change, you think jumping is riskier than staying. Actually, staying is riskier. More comfortable short-term, but riskier medium-term.

If you really badly want to stay, by all means, stay. Just don't have any illusions about that.

I don't want to insist that I'm special or anything, but I do think they'd have an incredibly hard time replacing me, due to the unique combination of roles I fill. That, and in the 3+ years I've been there, there's never been a high turnaround of permanent employees. They tend to keep people as long as they can.

My biggest concern if I stayed would be them not being able to pull in enough business. While permanent employees have been around a while, this past year saw a lot of contractors come and go. But I could definitely put in another year and observe how things are going. I'm also not above training a replacement to make the transition easier.

Really it boils down to staying a big fish in a small pond, or being more of a cog in a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't want to insist that I'm special or anything, but I do think they'd have an incredibly hard time replacing me, due to the unique combination of roles I fill.

You just highlighted a risk to them and if they are a well run business they will be actively working to mitigate it.