Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
And the lady and the little girl (she was just a brat) and Sean's friends

So like all of them besides the ones that weren't yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes, it was a good idea to make all the white people racists and villains.

This really gets the point across the some people are racist. There was nothing heavy handed about this at all. The best way to communicate any point is with cartoonish exaggerations, I think we can all agree on that.

I agree that exaggerations are a bad way to make a point so I don't know why you keep ignoring all the instances people are bringing up of white people in this game not being racist in favor of continuing to exaggerate the situation.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I have nothing to do with what orange sunshine is saying btw

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also out of all the examples you gave only two of them actually acted out on it (the bully from the beginning and the store owner later on), everybody else was just kind of a jerk (and the cop just misread the situation and panicked).

Point is, racism exists and this game is going to be talking about it (also, I remind you this is a series where children are randomly given superpowers during trumatic moments and spirits literally exist, maybe this isn't supposed to be super-realistic), not to mention that again, this is just the first episode. We have no idea where the rest of this game is going right now. Now can we please move on to something else?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 14, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lmao your gun never “goes off by accident”, that cop murdered a man.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

But on the topic, the reason why everything is dramatic and extreme is because a story about basic rear end casual racism that people experience day in and day wouldn’t really make for a thrilling video game tale. The issues really come from a lack of nuance when it comes to the commentary the game is trying to make.

The cop was a complete bumbling idiot, the store owner was hitler-Satan and Brody was a rich rear end Bernie bro and that does not really help make them seem like believable or realistic characters to the player.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I don't think Brody was actually benefiting from his family's wealth at all. When he gives you the money he said that's all he had. He turned away from his family completely until his Mom's cancer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lmao your gun never “goes off by accident”, that cop murdered a man.

Fair point, he was clearly panicking though. But yeah, aside from maybe Brody (and possibly the store owner depending on how things go) we're not likely to see any of those characters again anyway (and Daniel already killed the cop back when the incident first happened) so it's probably not worth thinking about them too hard. I agree that we need some more compelling characters going forward though (the only ones I particularly like at this point are Lyla and to a lesser extent Daniel).

I don't think this game particularly needs a central antagonist (nor would it really make sense to cram one in at this point) but I wouldn't be surprised if the threats gradually began to escalate as things progress. Hell, since we've seen what happens when his powers go out of control it's possible that Daniel himself could potentially become a serious danger at some point (he's a 9 year old kid with psychic powers that intensify whenever he gets really angry/upset, that's a recipe for disaster in and of itself).

Speaking of powers I'm kind of interested in seeing how Chris reacts to meeting someone who actually has the abilities he only pretends he does. The boys could also meet his rear end in a top hat dad, find out more of what his neighbors are like and potentially explore more of Beaver Creek beyond the small area we had available to us in Captain Spirit. Also I hope Sean gets a new phone soon as I kind of like reading the text messages across the various episodes.

No idea if this is following the same release schedule as the original game but if so then I'd probably expect Episode 2 by late November/early to mid December at the earliest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 15, 2018

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
After the first episode of Life is Strange 2, I've decided I got some problems with it and will now post on the internet about my problems with this video game.

The background for the story just doesn't work. What made the first game work so well was the protagonist was a high school senior reconnecting with a childhood friend on top of a missing person mystery. I could easily place myself in the story as Max because 1) I went to High School, I know what that was like 2) I have friends that I don't really talk to anymore and could reconnect with them. Because I can relate and see things through Max's eyes, I can get invested in the story. We have mundane aspects of everyday life juxtaposed with a supernatural detective mystery. Alright, i'm hooked, let's go.

What does this next game have?
My dad has never been shot by police. I have never been on the run from police and living in the wilderness. Nothing like this has ever happened to me. The dad is killed within about 10 minutes, was I supposed to care about that guy? The first game waited until the end of episode 2 for it's first "Oh drat," moment. How am I supposed to put myself in this story? Furthermore, I don't care to get lectured by the French about domestic / social issues, but that's just me.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 16, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Torgo2727 posted:

After the first episode of Life is Strange 2, I've decided I got some problems with it and will now post on the internet about my problems with this video game.

The background for the story just doesn't work. What made the first game work so well was the protagonist was a high school senior reconnecting with a childhood friend on top of a missing person mystery. I could easily place myself in the story as Max because 1) I went to High School, I know what that was like 2) I have friends that I don't really talk to anymore and could reconnect with them. Because I can relate and see things through Max's eyes, I can get invested in the story. We have mundane aspects of everyday life juxtaposed with a supernatural detective mystery. Alright, i'm hooked, let's go.

My dad has never been shot by police. I have never been on the run from police and living in the wilderness. Nothing like this has ever happened to me. The dad is killed within about 10 minutes, was I supposed to care about that guy? The first game waited until the end of episode 2 for it's first "Oh drat," moment. How am I supposed to put myself in this story? Furthermore, I don't care to get lectured by the French about domestic / social issues, but that's just me.

Right, this is why I think this game won't be as successful as the first, although time will tell.

Season 1 had a very strong opening, as everyone can relate to being in high school, and this was combined with the cool time rewind mechanic and multiple mysteries (what's this storm? Where did this time power come from?)

While many of us have picked berries in the woods, I don't think this quite carries the same punch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

Right, this is why I think this game won't be as successful as the first, although time will tell.

Season 1 had a very strong opening, as everyone can relate to being in high school, and this was combined with the cool time rewind mechanic and multiple mysteries (what's this storm? Where did this time power come from?)

While many of us have picked berries in the woods, I don't think this quite carries the same punch.

To be fair, the time power was never fully explained (and I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel's telekinesis winds up being the same way). But yeah, it's not quite as personal a story as the first game was (Max had a personality but was also enough of a blank slate to serve as an avatar for the player, you don't really get that as much with Sean).

Having a character like that worked for BtS as Chloe had already been firmly established by that point, it doesn't really work as well here but I'm still hoping Sean will wind up growing on me a bit more as the game goes on.

Despite that, I still like the game overall and am interested in seeing where the story ultimately goes but they really need to start picking up the slack a bit going forward.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 16, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You've never felt responsible for someone? Especially before you were ready for that responsibility? You've never been in a situation where you might have to compromise your morals to survive? There are plenty of relatable moments in the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh I understand that, personally my main issue is that Sean isn't quite as interesting as Max and Chloe were to me at the moment (or hell, even Chris for that matter) but I don't hate him either and I'm hoping we see some more facets of his character as things progress.

An interesting thing I heard from the developers (not sure of the source but Geek Remix brought it up during their recent playthrough) is that there will be times in the game where you're presented with a decision where there really is no "right" answer and it's up to the player to use their best judgement to proceed.

As I said, there are glimmers of potential in this game and I hope that now that we have introductions out of the way and everything's out in the open as far as the brothers are concerned the rest of the game will be much tighter paced (if the previous entries are any indication most LiS games are at their best around the midpoint anyway).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 16, 2018

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just because this story isn't personal to you doesn't mean it isn't personal to others. Like, the devs have said since the beginning that their goal isn't to recreate Life is Strange 1, but to tell a story with different characters and different perspectives. And surprise, people do relate to the characters and themes in this game. Changing it to just LiS 1 again would be pretty lovely and I would hope the devs would be smart enough to not go in that direction.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You've never felt responsible for someone? Especially before you were ready for that responsibility? You've never been in a situation where you might have to compromise your morals to survive? There are plenty of relatable moments in the game.

well I have a cat

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

An interesting thing I heard from the developers (not sure of the source but Geek Remix brought it up during their recent playthrough) is that there will be times in the game where you're presented with a decision where there really is no "right" answer and it's up to the player to use their best judgement to proceed.

This is every decision you make in this type of game. They're all designed to have no obvious right answers. It's one of the defining characteristics of this type of game, which telltale created with The Walking Dead. You force the player into a binary choice, they have to pick one, they don't know which choice is best in the long run. Other games have fighting and leveling up and RPG skill trees, these games have tough decisions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Just because this story isn't personal to you doesn't mean it isn't personal to others. Like, the devs have said since the beginning that their goal isn't to recreate Life is Strange 1, but to tell a story with different characters and different perspectives. And surprise, people do relate to the characters and themes in this game. Changing it to just LiS 1 again would be pretty lovely and I would hope the devs would be smart enough to not go in that direction.

Pretty much, it's a different kind of story and I'm fine with that (hell, when it was first announced I wasn't even sure it would still be in the same universe as the previous one so be thankful we got that much). I'm not completely on board with everything yet (the main character is sort of bland at the moment but Lyla and Daniel make up for that, the game needs some sort of gimmick besides the parenting simulator and money management aspects and there are even fewer NPCs to interact with than there were in BtS. Also is it just me or are the load times in this game even longer than previous entries?), but most of those concerns are minor and I'm interested in seeing where this story is going to go.

What we have to go on so far is interesting though. There's the whole deal with Sean and Daniel's mom which I am positive will come back into play later, the whole hit and run incident involving Chris' mother that was introduced in Captain Spirit seems kind of suspect and I'm hoping that gets addressed further as the game goes on (I'm assuming Chris will be sticking around past Episode 2 anyway but I could be wrong), and Daniel's powers are probably going to be a major driving force in the plot going forward (whether or not they'll ever be explained is another question).

Given the whole Daniel thing I'm curious if we'll actually get more than two endings this time around (or at the very least there will be a few variations on them depending on your choices throughout the game as was sort of the case in BtS).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 16, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Torgo2727 posted:

I thought the game did a great job of getting you to care about the Dad, even with his minimal time on screen.

Aside from the conversations with him, there's a tonne of stuff in the house (and Sean's comments on them) that fills out his character.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I thought the game did a great job of getting you to care about the Dad, even with his minimal time on screen.

Aside from the conversations with him, there's a tonne of stuff in the house (and Sean's comments on them) that fills out his character.

Also be sure to read all the texts (especially the ones from Lyla and the Dad), you get a lot of extra characterization that way. Speaking of which, I hope Sean gets a new phone at some point as it would be kind of a shame to just drop that aspect all together (plus I kind of like reading through the various messages though I wish there was a way to scroll up quickly on the console version as some of them are pretty long).

Speaking of Lyla, as others have mentioned there's almost no way she's not coming back in some capacity (she's the only one of Sean's friends we personally meet and we spend a good chunk of time with her at the beginning, she already has an established dynamic with both brothers and as such would fit neatly into the group, not to mention the massive wall of text you're greeted with when you check your messages from her). She just seems too firmly established at this point to just get dumped from the plot after one episode. Not sure how I'd feel about her and Sean potentially getting romantically involved though, she seems more like a sister to them and they've already got a pretty good dynamic going on just being friends.

Though if that's the case the question then becomes how she's going to link back up with them. The boys are already in Oregon by now and will likely be moving on after the next episode or two.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 16, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I really don't think Lyla is going to meet up with them. Between the police investigation and not having any idea where the boys are even if you choose to call her, I don't see how she catches up to them if she ever does find out where they are. At the most we're going to get conversations with her over a payphone or from some kind of publicly accessible computer like in a library but that's it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

I really don't think Lyla is going to meet up with them. Between the police investigation and not having any idea where the boys are even if you choose to call her, I don't see how she catches up to them if she ever does find out where they are. At the most we're going to get conversations with her over a payphone or from some kind of publicly accessible computer like in a library but that's it.

Fair, it probably wouldn't make much sense at this point but we'll see I guess. It's mostly just that she's my favorite character so far and it'd be a shame to see her go as underutilized as Steph was in the last game. Chris joining up with them (at least temporarily) is potentially more likely though I'm not entirely sure about that either.

Considering he's so big into heroes I'm not sure how he'd feel about the whole "wanted fugitives" aspect but the fact that Daniel both saved his life (or stopped him from getting hurt at any rate, a fall from that height onto snow probably wouldn't have killed him) and has literal superpowers might balance it out a bit.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 16, 2018

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
They should do what Final Fantasy XV did and have Mushroom carry messages between Sean and Lyla.

Seriously, I'd love to see Lyla again, somehow. Her friendship with Sean was really charming, and I thought the game did a great job of establishing how close they were in a very limited space of time. I'm sure my decision to call her is going to get her in horrible trouble, and I'm not looking forward to that, but at least it means there's probably going to be more Lyla in this game, one way or another.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Lyla is definitely going to be back in the game. Making the final major choice of Episode One whether or not you choose to call her isn't something you waste on a one-off character who shows up in the first five minutes and then never again.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Viridiant posted:

There'll be a reason they need to tell her where they are, and she'll hop on the next train or plane or whatever.

"Caution" as a concept does not exist in the Life is Strange universe.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It's not as if Sean didn't already tell the cops exactly where he was when he turned the phone back on and then said he was staying at a motel. He might as well tell Lyla where they are next time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

woodenchicken posted:

There'll be a reason they need to tell her where they are, and she'll hop on the next train or plane or whatever.

"Caution" as a concept does not exist in the Life is Strange universe.

Also considering she was literally worrying herself sick over them, not calling her probably would give her even more incentive to try and track them down. Either way, I almost guarantee she'll be back in some capacity (we might see Brody again too but I don't care that much about him).

Honestly I wouldn't mind the boys picking up a few extra traveling companions as they continue their trek towards Mexico, just so long as it doesn't wind up interfering with the main dynamic between Sean and Daniel.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 17, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cover art for Issue #3 of the Life is Strange comic is now available:

As well as a brief description:

quote:

Return to the world of DONTNOD’s smash-hit video game Life is Strange, in the official sequel story fans thought they would never get to see! A year since one of the game’s shocking endings, fan-favorite duo Max and Chloe face down time itself!
In Shops: Jan 16, 2019

Source

This seems interesting so far and I'm looking forward to checking it out next month. Hell, if this turns out decent enough I actually wouldn't mind this getting expanded into a full fledged monthly series exploring different stories from within the LiS universe (there's a lot of ground you could cover with this format that might not necessarily work as well in game form).

For posterity's sake, here are the covers for the previous two issues as well:

1:

2:

Based on what I can gather from the limited information available, it picks up a year after the Bae ending of the first game and presumably involves Max getting shuffled back and forth between the two timelines (which may imply that her powers have advanced to the point where she can no longer control them). I don't see this ending well for the girls but it seems like it might be worth a read.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 19, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Paul Zuvella posted:

The cop was a complete bumbling idiot, the store owner was hitler-Satan and Brody was a rich rear end Bernie bro and that does not really help make them seem like believable or realistic characters to the player.

I live in central North Carolina and I can tell you for a fact that all three of those characters are incredibly believable. We’ve got all three types in this area and I deal with the hitler-satans and the Bernie bros on a weekly basis. :negative:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A few slight plot details regarding the LiS comic seem to have surfaced:

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/10/23/18014836/life-is-strange-issue-one-cover-art-exclusive

Basically from what I gather it involves Max and Chloe returning to Arcadia Bay a year after the events of the first game, it talks about some new characters being involved as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 26, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No release date yet but the official Tumblr has started posting some developer updates featuring some behind the scenes stuff in regards to Episode 2. Nothing too interesting yet aside from a few blurry screens but it might be worth keeping an eye on.

I'm still guessing mid to late November/early December at the earliest as far as potential release dates go (especially if it's following the same two month schedule as the original game).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 26, 2018

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
I'm not certain, but it's possible the episodes might be further apart this time; the on-the-run storyline presumably means they'll constantly need to build new locations, whereas the original Life Is Strange could reuse places like Blackwell and Chloe's house from episode to episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rith posted:

I'm not certain, but it's possible the episodes might be further apart this time; the on-the-run storyline presumably means they'll constantly need to build new locations, whereas the original Life Is Strange could reuse places like Blackwell and Chloe's house from episode to episode.

Fair point, though all evidence so far seems to point to this episode being the one that links back up with Captain Spirit so there's at least some assets they can reuse in this case. But yeah, going forward we'll be getting new environments nearly every episode so it would make sense if the development gap in between them was a little longer. I'd still probably say December/January at the latest though.

I'm still sort of curious how Daniel's powers will work from a gameplay standpoint though (and I'm almost positive they will be implemented in some way). My guess is either we guide him through the process via dialogue options and/or we get some segments where we actually play as Daniel in order to solve some object-related puzzles. We also now have a dog to look out for in addition to our little brother so they might wind up doing something with that too.

It's also possible that Mrs. Reynolds from Captain Spirit is Sean and Daniel's maternal grandmother. If you manage to convince her everything is alright with Chris and his Dad she mentions that her grandchildren are staying with them for the holidays and we see Sean and Daniel outside her house at the end of the game (I also just recently learned that her name is Claire and Sean and Daniel's mother is named Karen).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Official trailer showing some scans from the upcoming comic:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JnK7J2vUXds

Art doesn't seem too bad all things considered and Max and Chloe's post-Bae ending relationship is about what I expected it to be (they're still friends but there seems to be a bit of underlying tension between them as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 30, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Larryb posted:

Art doesn't seem too bad all things considered and Max and Chloe's post-Bae relationship is about what I expected it to be (they're still friends but there seems to be a bit of underlying tension between them as well).

is that what they're calling it now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

is that what they're calling it now

Probably a bit of that too but I was mostly referring to some panels from the trailer like Chloe and Max in a bathroom seemingly having an argument and her spray painting "Time is a construct" on a wall earlier on.

Some latent anger on her part would make sense at least (Max did kind of indirectly kill Chloe's mom and nearly everyone else she knew after all) and we know for a fact that Chloe does not handle loss very well after all.

Also the official Twitter seems to confirm the theory that the comic's plot involves Max being bounced back and forth between the two timelines so that could be interesting to see.

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1056961395546304512?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Edit: Now it's apparently going to be 5 issues:

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/10/29/life-is-strange-comic-book-will-explore-player-choices-and-outcomes/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 30, 2018

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Just finished the episode and while it hasn't really grabbed me yet, I'm optimistic. I agree with the others that the main challenge this game is going to have is being relatable. The first game's high school setting was a lot more familiar of an environment. My takes so far:

* Definitely was feeling the desperation already, I stole from the car and broke into the box with no hesitation, but I didn't steal from the store because it seemed like there would be an obvious victim, not to mention a high chance of getting caught.
* Literally no remorse at stealing the tent after the guy kidnapped me.
* Brody's cool, it's good that Sean got to have someone to talk to with maybe a bit more experience navigating these waters than him.
* Final phone call with Lyla was heartbreaking. She'd better be coming back into the game at some point, not sure why the game would trash their best character concept.
* Really hoping this game is not going to just become X-Men but with more angst and better politics. The first game was unique and interesting largely because it wasn't really about the super powers at all, if anything they were just a gameplay mechanic stapled to a more conventional story.

Main question I have is what exactly did Daniel steal from Brody? Was it the sleep mask? I'm not exactly happy about him stealing from the one guy who was actually nice to us this whole time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Talorat posted:

Just finished the episode and while it hasn't really grabbed me yet, I'm optimistic. I agree with the others that the main challenge this game is going to have is being relatable. The first game's high school setting was a lot more familiar of an environment. My takes so far:

* Definitely was feeling the desperation already, I stole from the car and broke into the box with no hesitation, but I didn't steal from the store because it seemed like there would be an obvious victim, not to mention a high chance of getting caught.
* Literally no remorse at stealing the tent after the guy kidnapped me.
* Brody's cool, it's good that Sean got to have someone to talk to with maybe a bit more experience navigating these waters than him.
* Final phone call with Lyla was heartbreaking. She'd better be coming back into the game at some point, not sure why the game would trash their best character concept.
* Really hoping this game is not going to just become X-Men but with more angst and better politics. The first game was unique and interesting largely because it wasn't really about the super powers at all, if anything they were just a gameplay mechanic stapled to a more conventional story.

Main question I have is what exactly did Daniel steal from Brody? Was it the sleep mask? I'm not exactly happy about him stealing from the one guy who was actually nice to us this whole time.

Daniel stole Brody's dashboard hula girl.

e:Which makes Brody even more of a piece of poo poo who's fine with racist nick nacks. I have no qualms with Daniel stealing from him now.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 1, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Think of it more as one of this game's themes being about personal responsibility, which is pretty relatable in my opinion. Also, Lyla will almost definitely be back in some capacity (as others have mentioned before she has way too much personal history with the boys and they went out of their way to develop her as much as possible at the beginning of the game, it would be weird to just dump her after one episode). I agree that Daniel's powers shouldn't take over the plot but it would be nice to get to use them as a gameplay mechanic somehow.

I wouldn't mind adding a few extra party members as well (Chris and Lyla being the most likely candidates at this point) but the problem with that is that it might interfere with the dynamic between Sean and Daniel a bit. But regardless, I'm interested to see where things go from here.

As an aside, back in Captain Spirit if you manage to convince Mrs. Reynolds that nothing is wrong she'll mention that her grandchildren are staying with her for Christmas and then later you see Sean and Daniel outside her house at the very end. This might imply that she's actually their maternal grandmother (or just took them in and is posing as such) and they'll be staying with her for a brief time during the next episode.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I hope Chris doesn't become a party member. One small child is enough, thanks.

I'm not sure if this game is trying to be a homage to road trip movies, in which case having more characters would make sense, or if it's supposed to be a homage to the type of TV shows where the characters move from place to place, encountering new characters and solving their problems, always one step ahead of the cops. Not sure what the name of that trope is, but you know what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The writer has apparently cited Of Mice and Men and Into the Wild as two of the major bits of inspiration for LiS 2's plot (which kind of makes me worry about our protagonists if that's the case). Then again pretty much every LiS game cribs from some other source, Life is Strange is Twin Peaks crossed with Donnie Darko, The Butterfly Effect, and a bit of The Catcher in the Rye, Before the Storm is mostly Fire Walk with Me and Captain Spirit is Calvin & Hobbes only depressing.

I agree that adding another child to the group would most likely be problematic (we've already got a dog with us now after all, which is a pretty big security risk in and of itself) but somebody like Lyla could probably work.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 2, 2018