Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

President Beep posted:

looking forward to the palm/blackberry collab

tbf, this is basically a warmed over folio/playbook already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

President Beep posted:

looking forward to the palm/blackberry collab

i just fukken gagged

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

don't understand the hate for companion phone

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Blue Train posted:

why not you gotta toss it into the incinerator either way so it might as well deserve it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blue Train posted:

i hate that it's only being sold as a companion phone, also on verizon.

like, instead of making it a useless gimmick that no one will buy because it's completely hamstrung by an arbitrary limitation like that, just sell the tiny phone.

you're not going to sell any less of them

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the gimmick is a lie

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol, remember that meme from a video game that came out 11 years ago?

yospos keepin it fresh

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

lol, remember that meme from a video game that came out 11 years ago?

yospos keepin it fresh

obviously you do you loving nerd

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

what meme i don't understand

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/alexhern/status/1052210538015588352

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

not at this resolution your honour

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://twitter.com/thorbinodinson/status/1052214604401532928

:shepface:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
e: oh nvm

it looks like this on the forums

or this on web twitter

you have to click on the image (or use a good twitter client) (lol)

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 16, 2018

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that palm gimmick is a great approach and i believe a competent well-funded company could make something good of it, but here is 100% no way branded-crap manufacturer tcl has made anything even distantly useful for any purpose

competing with apple and samsung is a fools game, but i have no doubt that you could make good money catering to the right niches *competently*

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"yes hello I would like an extremely small telephone...yes but it only works if you own another telephone...mmmhmmm...no, way worse battery life - let's say 8 hours...yeah, only on Verizon. Thanks!"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
palm was a good company which made good products. gently caress this sorny bullshit phone

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that palm gimmick is a great approach and i believe a competent well-funded company could make something good of it

its called the apple watch

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think there was a phablet a few years ago that came with a tiny Bluetooth "phone" so you could do calls without having to haul the beast out of your bag

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

this thing?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i think so! i was thinking it was HTC but wasn't sure

e:

hahaha, the phone they originally bundled it with is the same size as all the current "small" iphones

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 17, 2018

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think so! i was thinking it was HTC but wasn't sure

e:

hahaha, the phone they originally bundled it with is the same size as all the current "small" iphones

that big phone is probably smaller than current phones

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google has responded to the European Union's $5 billion antitrust ruling by changing the way it bundles its apps on Android and allowing phone makers to sell "forked" versions of its free mobile operating system in the EU.

The company will now charge a licensing fee to device manufacturers that want to pre-install its suite of apps like Docs, YouTube and Gmail.

It will offer separate licenses for Search and Chrome.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wheany posted:

that big phone is probably smaller than current phones

positively tiny. smaller than the smallest iphone you can even buy any more

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i looked up the dimensions and it's comparable to the iPhone 7/8 and the smallest X model. the height and width are all roughly the same and the HTC is like 1.5mm thicker than the iphones. screen size/density is prob better on the iphones tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, and this was a phone that was considered so comically over large five short years ago, that they wanted to package it with a separate handset to make it usable.

makes you think

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

timb looked at this and said "hmm... yes" and invented the apple watch

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

eventually people will learn to stop using screen size to compare physical sizes of 16:9 and 18:9 phones. today is not that day.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

eventually people will learn to stop using screen size to compare physical sizes of 16:9 and 18:9 phones. today is not that day.

:ughh:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i looked up the dimensions and it's comparable to the iPhone 7/8 and the smallest X model. the height and width are all roughly the same and the HTC is like 1.5mm thicker than the iphones. screen size/density is prob better on the iphones tho

HTC Butterfly:
143 mm
71 mm
9.1 mm

iPhone 7:
138.3 mm
67.1 mm
7.1 mm

iPhone 8:
138.4 mm
67.3 mm
7.3 mm

iPhone XS:
143.6 mm
70.9 mm
7.7 mm

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

as a layman I would say they’re all about the same size or form factor

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Partycat posted:

as a layman I would say they’re all about the same size or form factor

yeah; they're all "medium" phones for 2018

the difference is the iPhones are good and the android one is bad

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

well yes but shittiness is represented in a dimension I guess science hasn’t learned to measure yet so we can only argue endlessly which is worse

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
last night I plugged in my phone, checked my alarm, and browsed the forums. after a little bit I opened the clock app again to adjust the alarm by five minutes and *bam* the app looked completely different. must have updated to Google's 1000th different design iteration real sneaky like. it's ugly. Scrooged again.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i thought the "material design" thing meant all apps would converge on a style and they sort of did but now we're being subjected to like, version 2 of it, and it's ugly and sucks

lol @ having app auto-update turned on though, you pwned yourself on that one

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
anroid

quote:

The Google Pixel 3 comes with one of the best cameras on Android, but it also appears to suffer from a peculiar problem. The Pixel 3 and Pixel XL 3 will sometimes fail to save photos that have just been taken — an issue that’s believed to go back to the Nexus days.

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-3-camera-problem-915893

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

this happened to me a couple of times with an older goophone and i thought i was losing my mind.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you made the conscious decision to buy an android soooo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

you made the conscious decision to buy an android soooo

2011 was a long time ago. :corsair:

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that palm gimmick is a great approach and i believe a competent well-funded company could make something good of it, but here is 100% no way branded-crap manufacturer tcl has made anything even distantly useful for any purpose

competing with apple and samsung is a fools game, but i have no doubt that you could make good money catering to the right niches *competently*

bring back the Commodore PET scamphone

or webOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google is now requiring android manufacturers to offer security updates for two years from release. i'm sure this won't quietly be forgotten when no one actually bothers with it like last time they tried this