Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that Turkey didn't storm the consulate with police and investigators as soon as they heard that someone might have been murdered there seems to indicate that KSA has Turkey by the balls somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

qkkl posted:

The fact that Turkey didn't storm the consulate with police and investigators as soon as they heard that someone might have been murdered there seems to indicate that KSA has Turkey by the balls somehow.
Or they don’t want to start a war

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Volkerball posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1051446715432218624

Let them buddy up with Russia and Iran. It's where they belong, with all the other shithead tyrants.

Why did this dude feel the need to write this?

We're not going to do poo poo to the Saudis except maybe tell them in private to be more low key.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

qkkl posted:

Uh no, storming a consulate would precipitate a major international incident. I... think Turkey still has authority there, at least when it comes to something as serious as murder, but I don't know if they can even enter without permission.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1051912606221561863

e: twitter formatting

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 15, 2018

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I can't say much but lmao

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
"Yes, we only meant to abduct the journalist but not kill him. Please come to our fancy conference. Also ignore everything we have said over the last week."

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
they're so loving laaazy fuuuuuck

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/1051918555636269056

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1051914177047093249

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Tweezer Reprise posted:

they're so loving laaazy fuuuuuck

they know trump just needs any excuse possible to stop caring

the only hope is that the rest of the world will do something, anything

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

If they decide to go with it, I predict the "ok we did kill him, but accidentally" won't earn many points.

The idiocy on display here is really remarkable.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

OhFunny posted:

Why did this dude feel the need to write this?

We're not going to do poo poo to the Saudis except maybe tell them in private to be more low key.

Because these people are idiots, not much else to it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The B in MBS stands for Butcher

https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/1051938743828013056

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

oh so now you're not satisfied with only Russia sending assassins after you, BM?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

quote:

Turkish authorities say prosecutors have found evidence that supports suspicions Khashoggi was killed in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

A source at the Attorney General's office, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Al Jazeera "they have found evidence that supports their suspicions that Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate," our correspondent Jamal Elshayyal reported from Istanbul.

"This is a significant step forward after several days of an impasse," he said.

The Attorney General's office also said their team inside the consulate found evidence of "tampering", Elshayyal added.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/jamal-khashoggi-case-latest-updates-181010133542286.html

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
not who'd I'd expect to quote 2Pac

https://twitter.com/ahmadinejad1956/status/1051937106392752129?s=21

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 15, 2018

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh so now you're not satisfied with only Russia sending assassins after you, BM?

I'm hoping if enough assassins are sent after me they'll end up killing each other in a series of hilarious, but bloody, misunderstandings.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

That’s just the way it is.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Given Iran's superior numbers and the success KSA has had in Yemen, even with an almost 'total war' lack of shits given of civilian deaths, you'd think the Saudis would try a little harder to not have the US abandon them.

E - Well, maybe not. Trump is falling over himself trying to agree with them.
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/15/657522089/rogue-killers-may-have-murdered-saudi-journalist-trump-suggests

Apparently rouge killers are a real problem in heavily guarded and monitored embassies.

At least its a bit more believable then him tripping and landing on a bullet while filling out marriage papers...

What a loving embarrassment.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 15, 2018

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/1051969421982539776

https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/1051971386149879810

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Do we mean survive politically, or...survive survive?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

West Asia represent.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
MBS is going to be fine. The Saudis had good intel that Khashoggi was working directly with terrorist groups and planned to interrogate him based on techniques taught to them by their US allies. During training the American advisers told them that it is a good idea to bring tools to dismember and dispose of the body in case the interrogation goes bad and the interrogatee dies.

There's nothing more to it, well-established techniques were used during the interrogation of a suspected terrorist sympathizer and the weak physical constitution of the interrogatee resulted in his unfortunate demise, requiring swift disposal of the body lest its decomposition endanger those in the immediate vicinity.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The funny part is that the Saudis will have some explanation, but then his fiance will want his body for burial and they'll need to think up something new, because they don't seem to think more than one step ahead.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Count Roland posted:

The funny part is that the Saudis will have some explanation, but then his fiance will want his body for burial and they'll need to think up something new, because they don't seem to think more than one step ahead.

So you're saying they should put one foot in front of the other?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

madeintaipei posted:

So you're saying they should put one foot in front of the other?

The next six lies will be critical!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spacewolf posted:

while I think he's... optimistic? about the chances, there's some overlap between the two, especially now that MBS has had hands laid on princely bodies by his goons

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

qkkl posted:

MBS is going to be fine. The Saudis had good intel that Khashoggi was working directly with terrorist groups and planned to interrogate him based on techniques taught to them by their US allies. During training the American advisers told them that it is a good idea to bring tools to dismember and dispose of the body in case the interrogation goes bad and the interrogatee dies.

There's nothing more to it, well-established techniques were used during the interrogation of a suspected terrorist sympathizer and the weak physical constitution of the interrogatee resulted in his unfortunate demise, requiring swift disposal of the body lest its decomposition endanger those in the immediate vicinity.

I almost bit on this.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

qkkl posted:

i just finished sopranos season 4 too

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Spacewolf posted:

Well Saudi succession is a bit looser than in western Monarchical traditions, so in theory he could just be stripped of his status as crown prince and given some dead-end sinecure. There's precedent even for removing a sitting King without killing him.

I'm not sure though why this, out of all the dumb poo poo MBS has had his fingers in, would be the coup de grace.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I have no idea how to make sense of Saudi politics or how the Saudi government functions but I'm sure its far stupider than I could ever even imagine.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Squalid posted:

Well Saudi succession is a bit looser than in western Monarchical traditions, so in theory he could just be stripped of his status as crown prince and given some dead-end sinecure. There's precedent even for removing a sitting King without killing him.

I'm not sure though why this, out of all the dumb poo poo MBS has had his fingers in, would be the coup de grace.

All the alternate avenues out of this succession ended in the Presidential Suite of the Torture Ritz

which is a sentence, that is dead-rear end fuckin' serious, and written in 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The people's republic of Arabia it is then :downs:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My take on the survival quote is that the few remaining higher-ups who could launch a coup are also about to be thrown under a bus.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1051958561142710275?s=21

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Squalid posted:

I have no idea how to make sense of Saudi politics or how the Saudi government functions but I'm sure its far stupider than I could ever even imagine.

Imagine game of thrones but everyone is Walder Frey or Mace Tyrell

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

qkkl posted:

Go to cspam.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Someone claiming to be Khashoggi's son tweets:

https://twitter.com/ABDULLAKHASHOGI/status/1052006777355689985

Replies are claiming it's fake. The Washington Post story does contain his family's statement:

quote:

We are sadly and anxiously following the conflicting news regarding the fate of our father after losing contact with him two weeks ago, when he disappeared after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Our family is traumatized, and yearns to be together during this painful time. The strong moral and legal responsibility which our father instilled in us obliges us to call for the establishment of an independent and impartial international commission to inquire into the circumstances of his death. We are grateful to all those who have respected our privacy during these difficult times

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I don't mean to be callous, but why exactly is Khashoggi's death serving as such a catalyst for international backlash? I kinda thought that most countries were doing this poo poo regularly, especially a non-democracy like Saudi Arabia that already has a bad human rights record. Am I wrong and this is like the first time that a journalist has been killed outside of warzone in decades, and journalists like writing about journalists? Or has everyone been looking for a solid excuse to hold their feet to the fire?

I guess what's weird about this to me is: didn't China straight-up kidnap the head of Interpol like a week ago? What happened to that story? Is he dead? How is that not a bigger story? That seems like it ought to be EVERYWHERE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

surf rock posted:

I don't mean to be callous, but why exactly is Khashoggi's death serving as such a catalyst for international backlash? I kinda thought that most countries were doing this poo poo regularly, especially a non-democracy like Saudi Arabia that already has a bad human rights record. Am I wrong and this is like the first time that a journalist has been killed outside of warzone in decades, and journalists like writing about journalists? Or has everyone been looking for a solid excuse to hold their feet to the fire?

I guess what's weird about this to me is: didn't China straight-up kidnap the head of Interpol like a week ago? What happened to that story? Is he dead? How is that not a bigger story? That seems like it ought to be EVERYWHERE.

Beyond that, an ostensibly allied country killing a US resident in another allied country is news even without the journalism part, though obviously that contributes too. China arresting someone, even if he's prominent, in their own territory isn't as scandalous as torturing and assassinating someone on foreign soil.

Interesting time for this to come out:

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1052157961441857536

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 16, 2018