Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mendrian posted:

Well of loving course. I don't pretend to read minds, so I break down most Republican politicians into one of the following categories:

a.) Terrifyingly, gut-churningly genuine. This is mostly hypothetical. I assume if you really mean it, you wind up as a small town loon-type who becomes a public monster and gets pardoned by Trump. Hopefully rare.

b.) Extreme pragmatist fucks who basically use Republican sentiment as a brand and make a name for themselves among whackos because they have no shot with anybody else.

c.) Rich assholes who actually believe the natural state of the world are rich people ruling everybody else. Art exists to entertain them, not challenge them, and to them it is a natural travesty that they cannot destroy their enemies with cannons loaded with money.

I figure most major Republican figures are in group c.

Nothing hypothetical about A. Lots of the Tea Party wave were like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/wweek/status/1051984821260509185?s=21

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Given that liberals created cities where massive income inequality is the norm and a huge gulf exists between the rich and poor, I would say that "Republican fucks" would feel right at home compared to rural areas where incomes - and inequality are much lower.

the rural areas where everyone is poor as poo poo and addicted to opioids? I'm not sure this is the argument you want to make.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Another thread is telling me Mayor Tom Wheeler maced a baby.

What did the baby know??

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tibalt posted:

I swear to god this is like the seventh page in a row where this post has been made.

Is this a joke I'm not getting, where people are suggesting things that Warren already did, so that someone else can "that's the joke" it?

by my reckoning, we're 12 hours into this topic and living in hell

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Spite posted:

the rural areas where everyone is poor as poo poo and addicted to opioids? I'm not sure this is the argument you want to make.

this poster is claiming the united states has a serious problem with urban/rural economic divides. this poster also supports the chinese government

it's just vacant making GBS threads on america. which i'm all in favor of making GBS threads on america but at least from a more factual basis

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

Re: Elizabeth Warren and Blood Quantum

She needs to stop bringing up her percent Native American DNA right away because it's super distasteful and a very sensitive and divisive issue for Native Americans. Talking percentages is especially bad, but even pointing to her test results as evidence her family stories about Cherokee heritage were true isn't great.

If you're not familiar, NAs are the only group in the US whose membership is legally defined based on their percentage of blood ancestry (and/or lineal descent from tribal members). The Wiki article isn't bad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_quantum_laws This was imposed by European colonizers and the US government and didn't reflect how tribal groups traditionally defined their membership. Intermarriage and adoption were common--an example for the tribe I work for was for two people from different groups (two tribes or Native + European) to marry and raise their kids bilingual to act as translators. The word for translator, iyeska is synonymous with mixed-race. French fur traders were super into this and would commonly marry a Native wife to raise their kids bilingual to further their trading efforts. A large proportion of the Lakota around here have French surnames, Bordeaux is incredibly common.

Anyway, blood quantum has been used by colonizers to define, divide, and exclude Native peoples from tribal membership and holey moley is it a sensitive topic. A poor analogy might be telling African Americans you can't legally claim to be AA or black unless you can demonstrate one of your grandparents was full-blood African, nevermind that genealogical information might not exist. Your culture and self-identity doesn't matter, you're not African-American because you don't meet our arbitrary legal definition, so you can't receive any benefits from that minority status.

There's really no way for Warren to talk about it without pissing Native groups off. She either needs to score her Twitter points against Trump and move on, or better yet pivot to talking about Native American issues without involving her own personal connection and ancestry. Any talk of percentages directly invokes blood quantum which is a Very Bad Look. There's no way for her to discuss this without implicitly endorsing the imposed colonialist/European framework of tribal membership and identity.

Code Switch did an interesting episode about this too:
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/02/09/583987261/so-what-exactly-is-blood-quantum

Also, Elizabeth Warren should offer to come to the white house and spit on Donald Trump.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ague Proof posted:

Another thread is telling me Mayor Tom Wheeler maced a baby.

What did the baby know??

The location of the muffin man

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pellisworth posted:

Re: Elizabeth Warren and Blood Quantum

She needs to stop bringing up her percent Native American DNA right away because it's super distasteful and a very sensitive and divisive issue for Native Americans. Talking percentages is especially bad, but even pointing to her test results as evidence her family stories about Cherokee heritage were true isn't great.

If you're not familiar, NAs are the only group in the US whose membership is legally defined based on their percentage of blood ancestry (and/or lineal descent from tribal members). The Wiki article isn't bad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_quantum_laws This was imposed by European colonizers and the US government and didn't reflect how tribal groups traditionally defined their membership. Intermarriage and adoption were common--an example for the tribe I work for was for two people from different groups (two tribes or Native + European) to marry and raise their kids bilingual to act as translators. The word for translator, iyeska is synonymous with mixed-race. French fur traders were super into this and would commonly marry a Native wife to raise their kids bilingual to further their trading efforts. A large proportion of the Lakota around here have French surnames, Bordeaux is incredibly common.

Anyway, blood quantum has been used by colonizers to define, divide, and exclude Native peoples from tribal membership and holey moley is it a sensitive topic. A poor analogy might be telling African Americans you can't legally claim to be AA or black unless you can demonstrate one of your grandparents was full-blood African, nevermind that genealogical information might not exist. Your culture and self-identity doesn't matter, you're not African-American because you don't meet our arbitrary legal definition, so you can't receive any benefits from that minority status.

There's really no way for Warren to talk about it without pissing Native groups off. She either needs to score her Twitter points against Trump and move on, or better yet pivot to talking about Native American issues without involving her own personal connection and ancestry. Any talk of percentages directly invokes blood quantum which is a Very Bad Look. There's no way for her to discuss this without implicitly endorsing the imposed colonialist/European framework of tribal membership and identity.

Thank you, this is much more of an elegant post then what I was going to write.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

And yet poo poo goes on for the rest of us.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/honduran-migrants-caravan-1.4862378

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Poor economic prospects are the main reason Hondurans want to leave the Central American country of 9.4 million people, according to a recent survey by the Center for Immigration Studies. Violence was the second most-cited reason.

I wonder how they spun this into a justification for grinding all of these migrants into meatloaf for poor native-born Americans.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So how do you defeat something like that? Ignore it, dismiss it? Joke about it? Is it about a cult of personality? Do you try to go after the base and show how it makes them look foolish supporting Trump and try to separate them? Can you cause Trump to humilate them?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Spite posted:

The rural areas where a bunch of old people crow about Trump while anyone that can leave for real jobs have, maybe even decades ago. Where retirees living in gated cul-de-sacs lord over the people stuck serving them food or running their supermarkets and they act like they are just the most benevolent in all of creation handing out nickles and dollars to the peasants that "earn it".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was listening to the radio on the drive home today and they had a story about the President of the US (which is Donald Trump, yes that Donald Trump, for any time travelers from 1985) and what he thinks about the situation with the journalist murdered by a Saudi hit squad in Turkey. And anyway it occurred to me that the president is basically a crazy person who believes in conspiracy theories, and no one should bother asking him what he thinks about anything.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Gatts posted:

So how do you defeat something like that? Ignore it, dismiss it? Joke about it? Is it about a cult of personality? Do you try to go after the base and show how it makes them look foolish supporting Trump and try to separate them? Can you cause Trump to humilate them?

do a press release 25-odd months before the election and never ever mention it again except to say that you've already addressed it if directly asked.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Gatts posted:

Well I'd suggest doing a DNA test a year or so before the first primary, and then call out Trump when he welchs on the deal. Then the original issue becomes an after thought, and maybe you get Trump to say something weird and creepy.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

I don't know. Isn't that the problem with being a liberal candidate? Conservatives can get away with outright hypocrisy because they don't ask much from people besides "don't make government do much." Liberals who get involved in anything that smacks of hypocrisy are handicapped much more because you're more likely to be asking voters for something and that's when they get hung up on anything that lets them off the hook.

I'd have taken the genetic test. Put it in my back pocket. Once Trump brought up "Pocahontas" again, I'd have said, "well, I took a test a while ago for personal reasons to find my own roots and they said I had high likelihood of Native American Ancestry just like my grandparents told me. Trump's being stupid and distracting from what people care about," and then just dismiss it from there. I don't think a whole press conference over this stuff packaged in a way that overshadowed the Khasoggi fiasco was the way to go.

I'm not in PR. I don't know. I don't really Warren would be a good nominee either though, so maybe I'm not trying hard enough. My hypothetical response is probably poo poo too.

EDIT: The stealthy press release others suggested is probably the better call.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't understand exactly what Cernovich's involvement in the assault was could someone explain?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

withak posted:

Code Switch did an interesting episode about this too:
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/02/09/583987261/so-what-exactly-is-blood-quantum

Also, Elizabeth Warren should offer to come to the white house and spit on Donald Trump.

This is an extremely good article everyone should read, thanks for the link. https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/02/07/583665568/love-and-blood-quantum-buy-in-or-die-out

It makes a good point I didn't really touch on: blood quantum was a deliberate strategy by the US gov't to breed Indians out of existence. Enrolled tribal populations were pretty small to start with, and there were deliberate policy actions to "civilize" and "educate" them. The idea was that the inevitable intermarriage of tribal and non-tribal members would dilute the blood quantum enough that tribal membership would die out or at least not increase. That way the number of enrolled tribal members the US had treaty obligations to wouldn't get "out of control."

Anyway I don't think it's a problem if Warren trolls Trump with her test results for a couple days on Twitter but it's not something she should keep bringing up.

As this article (https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/411521-cherokee-nation-warrens-use-of-dna-test-inappropriate-wrong) puts it:

quote:

“No native tribe acknowledges DNA testing as a source for citizenship or even claim to native heritage,” said Rebecca Nagle, an indigenous writer, organizer and citizen of the Cherokee Nation.

Nagle said many people who are non-Native have family stories about American Indian heritage “and the overwhelming amount of those stories are false and not based in identity but rather are based in a white entitlement to appropriate native land, native culture and native identity.”

Warren has stated she doesn't really identify with Cherokee heritage other than it being a family story, from her website apparently her parents eloped because their marriage was frowned upon as her mom was of known Cherokee heritage. She also says she's never been a member or sought to become a member of a tribe and it's never impacted hiring or admissions for her.

So, if you don't identify with or officially claim Cherokee heritage, stop using a DNA test for political gain please. Rub it in Donnie's nose for a couple days then STOP.

Also, Otteration, you have a good idea about contacting Warren's campaign. I'm not going to do that because I'm just a white guy who teaches at a tribal college, but I spoke to my coworkers who teach history, gov't, and other relevant classes and we're going to ask students to write letters as a short assignment.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The main problem is Trump's people don't care about anything except themselves and their own bullshit, and to be part of something that's "winning." So they're willing to do anything, believe anything, don't care if its not true, as long as they get what they want by hook, crook, and be cruel to anything that isn't them. You can show them truth, and they won't care, they'll outright commit treason to spite liberals or whatever.

So how to tackle that?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Brony Car posted:

I wonder how they spun this into a justification for grinding all of these migrants into meatloaf for poor native-born Americans.

Why does the spin matter when the poo poo goes on for the rest of us?

Fake edit: this thread, never mind.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Just watched a hell of a senate debate between Martha McSalley and Kyrsten Sinema.

The last question was about climate change and McSally said, almost verbatum, "I can't believe this is the last question, we should be talking about the Military!"

She then went on a rant about how she was responsible for protecting the A-10 warthog (because THAT is more important than climate change...) and then claimed Sinema encouraged people to join the Taliban and was a traitor? Which is... one hell of a claim to slip in there at the end of a debate.

This is the same race responsible for this mailer though, so maybe the hyperbole is expected at this point.

https://twitter.com/dannowicki/status/1049745285742645248

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Gatts posted:

The main problem is Trump's people don't care about anything except themselves and their own bullshit, and to be part of something that's "winning." So they're willing to do anything, believe anything, don't care if its not true, as long as they get what they want by hook, crook, and be cruel to anything that isn't them. You can show them truth, and they won't care, they'll outright commit treason to spite liberals or whatever.

So how to tackle that?

Marginalize, degrade and scatter them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Senator McSalley 4 terms.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/chuckrossdc/status/1052004619046572037?s=21

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Nonsense posted:

Senator McSalley 4 terms.

Given the number of progressive colleagues and organizers I have seen pledging to never vote for Sinema because of her pivot to the middle, you are absolutely right.

There is a green party candidate at 4% polling to boot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Her human meatsuit is poorly hiding her reptilian jawsnout

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gatts posted:

So how to tackle that?

vote

and help get out the vote

Trump supporters will be completely unaffected by Warren's DNA test. Imo it's more of a potential "win" for her than it is a loss for Trump because GOP voters don't care. What this (hopefully) does is neatly end the whole dumb Pocahontasgate thing for Warren. Turns out she actually does have some Native ancestry way back! She wasn't lying about her family story. The end.

And she can own him a few times on Twitter I guess.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1051951690415525888

Trump's plan for climate change: hope that it doesn't happen

Hope and (Climate) Change.

brockan
Mar 9, 2014
https://twitter.com/zackwhittaker/status/1051952440793341952

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

LegendaryFrog posted:

Given the number of progressive colleagues and organizers I have seen pledging to never vote for Sinema because of her pivot to the middle, you are absolutely right.

Death to purity voters.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

LegendaryFrog posted:

Didn't Sinema go all in on the GOP tax plan with *tweaks*? That seems like it would be campaign suicide all on its lonesome.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

This is an extremely good article everyone should read, thanks for the link. https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/02/07/583665568/love-and-blood-quantum-buy-in-or-die-out

It makes a good point I didn't really touch on: blood quantum was a deliberate strategy by the US gov't to breed Indians out of existence. Enrolled tribal populations were pretty small to start with, and there were deliberate policy actions to "civilize" and "educate" them. The idea was that the inevitable intermarriage of tribal and non-tribal members would dilute the blood quantum enough that tribal membership would die out or at least not increase. That way the number of enrolled tribal members the US had treaty obligations to wouldn't get "out of control."

Anyway I don't think it's a problem if Warren trolls Trump with her test results for a couple days on Twitter but it's not something she should keep bringing up.

As this article (https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/411521-cherokee-nation-warrens-use-of-dna-test-inappropriate-wrong) puts it:

Warren has stated she doesn't really identify with Cherokee heritage other than it being a family story, from her website apparently her parents eloped because their marriage was frowned upon as her mom was of known Cherokee heritage. She also says she's never been a member or sought to become a member of a tribe and it's never impacted hiring or admissions for her.

So, if you don't identify with or officially claim Cherokee heritage, stop using a DNA test for political gain please. Rub it in Donnie's nose for a couple days then STOP.

Also, Otteration, you have a good idea about contacting Warren's campaign. I'm not going to do that because I'm just a white guy who teaches at a tribal college, but I spoke to my coworkers who teach history, gov't, and other relevant classes and we're going to ask students to write letters as a short assignment.

Another good post, thanks.

All I could google atm: https://my.elizabethwarren.com/page/s/contact?source=website-footer

Phone numbers and emails are there too.

The theory is that campaign contacts respond too citizen feedback as well as congressional ones do. YMMV.

Also senate contacts: https://my.elizabethwarren.com/page/s/contact

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LegendaryFrog posted:

Just watched a hell of a senate debate between Martha McSalley and Kyrsten Sinema.

The last question was about climate change and McSally said, almost verbatum, "I can't believe this is the last question, we should be talking about the Military!"

She then went on a rant about how she was responsible for protecting the A-10 warthog (because THAT is more important than climate change...) and then claimed Sinema encouraged people to join the Taliban and was a traitor? Which is... one hell of a claim to slip in there at the end of a debate.

This is the same race responsible for this mailer though, so maybe the hyperbole is expected at this point.

https://twitter.com/dannowicki/status/1049745285742645248

if this was literally any state other than one entirely made up of elderly retired people so stupid and selfish they prioritize golf course watering and lawns in the desert over county water supplies that'd sure be a problem for her

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Office Pig posted:

Didn't Sinema go all in on the GOP tax plan with *tweaks*? That seems like it would be campaign suicide all on its lonesome.

Yea she was against it then said 'weeeeell maybe if we tweak it...'

It's gonna whip rear end when we lose the chance to win the senate because like three idiots couldn't keep from self-owning at the finish line.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Office Pig posted:

quote:

Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema today voted against H.R. 1. She released the following statement after the vote:

“This bill is a bad deal for Arizona. It explodes the federal debt, likely raises taxes on many small businesses, and makes it harder for Arizona families to get ahead. I oppose this bill because it does not reflect the values and priorities of hardworking Arizonans.

“The House bill increases the debt by $1.5 trillion, forcing cuts to Medicare and crowding out lending and growth opportunities for Arizona businesses. It raises taxes on more than a quarter of Arizonans earning between $51,880 and $83,220. It may also raise taxes on many small businesses by limiting the amount of earnings eligible for the reduced pass-through rate and eliminating other pro-business deductions that help small businesses thrive. That isn’t pro-growth or pro-middle class.

“By eliminating middle class tax breaks for healthcare, housing and education, this bill makes it harder for Arizona families to build better lives. Arizona families deduct approximately $2.2 billion in medical expenses annually. As health care costs increase, this tax increase threatens the economic security of Arizona families. The average Arizonan would lose $20,590 in home equity because of the mortgage and tax provisions in this bill. That is bigger than any benefit from a tax cut.

“This bill puts at risk $2.4 billion in Arizona public education funding over ten years, and threatens an innovative educational partnership between Arizona State University and Starbucks that gives Arizonans the opportunity to develop the skills and tools to get higher paying jobs. Cutting education funding and blocking innovative public-private partnerships does not grow our economy or build a competitive workforce for today or tomorrow.

“I would like to support bipartisan tax reform that upholds our values, but tax cuts are not tax reform. Passing unbalanced tax cuts for short-term political gain is not in the best interest of Arizona or the American people. Congress needs to put partisanship aside and pass tax reform that puts middle class families first, makes us more competitive and strengthens the long-term financial security of Arizona families. I will keep working to make tax reform a better deal for our state.”

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Office Pig posted:

Oh yeah, Sinema is a trash candidate (despite conventional wisdom) that is throwing away her entire base vote because of how STRONGLY she pivoted to the middle the moment she stepped foot into congress. I'm from her district, which is one of the most liberal in Arizona (a good chunk of it is students), and yet she has the second most conservative voting record of ANY democrat in the house, because she has been preparing for a Senate or Governor race all along.

She is doing a poo poo job at appearing as anything other than a republican with a D next to her name, and I share frustration between both her and "purity voters" that will cost us the senate seat in equal measure.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
of course this is just gonna embolden the Pelosi crowd who sees these layups failing because of last minute ~pivots~ and go 'see it's all the progress far left who won't just get on the train'

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Was this a honeypot meant to dox Trump supporters? Because if so, perma:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

twice burned ice posted:

Was this a honeypot meant to dox Trump supporters? Because if so, perma:lol:

the security breach was probably unintentional

"leaked" ascribes a little too much agency to them at this time, it was a very dumb data security fuckup

• Locked thread