Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

It's really tempting to just get the play all weekend thing and not even play in either main event at EW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh look, an excuse for me to pick up Assassin's Trophies-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-ubg-60662#paper

4 Archive Trap
4 Assassin's Trophy
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Breeding Pool
1 Darkslick Shores
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Extirpate
2 Fatal Push
3 Field of Ruin
1 Flooded Strand
4 Fraying Sanity
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Hedron Crab
2 Island
1 Manic Scribe
1 Marsh Flats
4 Mesmeric Orb
3 Mind Funeral
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Overgrown Tomb
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
2 Trapmaker's Snare
4 Visions of Beyond
2 Watery Grave
//sideboard
1 Crypt Incursion
2 Damnation
2 Damping Sphere
2 Dead Drop
1 Defense Grid
2 Dispel
3 Leyline of the Void
1 Profane Memento
1 Unmoored Ego

At least this version of the deck doesn't auto-scoop to a resolved planeswalker :v:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

The result of the thought experiment, "Sarkhan isn't modern playable, but...". There might be an entirely different build based around dragons, but I'm sure enough that it's worse that I started here.

I played one match against a mardu deck where I landed t1 blood moon game one and then won a grindy game 2 off of garruk/jace, then played against mono U fish and got obliterated in a match where he stumbled on land drops g2 and I had him dead to board when he passed turn t3 (and still might have lost if he'd just had the nuts again as he did in g1/3). I think I needs anger of the gods or blasphemous act + negate for that matchup to be winnable.

I'm going to take some version of this to FNM for a little while. Curious what people might do with it, especially the board (my meta is pretty similar to mtgtop8, spirits is something I usually see in the t4 decks with the others more of a hodgepodge that sometimes includes t2/3 stuff like Gifts decks or U tron or whatever). Scavenging ooze definitely needs to be here in some number.

I'm not convinced this deck is worse than ponza and it has more interactive games with midrange decks. I want to play the control matchup; I've been playing a lot of UW lately and I am fine with this list against it, might not be much better than 50/50 but I think it's at least that.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 14, 2018

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Skyl3lazer posted:

Time to go try to win EW bye #2

holy poo poo i played in a room of mono-bad matchups, still top 8'd then died to another bad matchup.

I'm on lands, my opponents were maverick, burn, monoR prison, storm, miracles, and 4c loam. There was a single goblins player in the room I think i had a positive matchup against

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I played one match against a mardu deck where I landed t1 blood moon game one and then won a grindy game 2 off of garruk/jace, then played against mono U fish and got obliterated in a match where he stumbled on land drops g2 and I had him dead to board when he passed turn t3 (and still might have lost if he'd just had the nuts again as he did in g1/3). I think I needs anger of the gods or blasphemous act + negate for that matchup to be winnable.

How are you getting turn 1 Blood Moons?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

holy poo poo i played in a room of mono-bad matchups, still top 8'd then died to another bad matchup.

I'm on lands, my opponents were maverick, burn, monoR prison, storm, miracles, and 4c loam. There was a single goblins player in the room I think i had a positive matchup against

It's been like this for me locally for a while now on lands and its not great.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GoutPatrol posted:

2 SSGs? SSG + ritual? There are a few ways.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Me playing Death and Taxes except the deck also can't beat Goblins.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

GoutPatrol posted:

sorry t2 have been drinking (obviously, look at the list I'm trying to play in paid games)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

for the legacy players in this thread, may i recommend playing good decks, for example decks with the card Force of Will in them??

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

for the legacy players in this thread, may i recommend playing good decks, for example decks with the card Force of Will in them??

I like infect

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlternateNu posted:

2 SSGs? SSG + ritual? There are a few ways.

I ask because they aren't in that list. Turn 2 makes sense though.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ew why would i want to 2 for 1 myself

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Mezzanon posted:

I like infect

Infect:

Has Force of Will? Check
Potential for extremely unlikely turn 2 kill? Check

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Brownhat posted:

Infect:

Has Force of Will? Check
Potential for extremely unlikely turn 2 kill? Check

Turn 1 if you run the SSG/expedite package

On a serious note I'll probably play infect at a 2k next month because it's the best deck I own besides miracles and even though I'm trying to grind the gently caress out of both decks online, I doubt I can play UW well for 8 rounds. Convince me I'm wrong

What I want to play is Rector Fit or opposition, but...

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 14, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Rapidly running out of poo poo to buylist, though I think in this case I doubled my money on the stuff I did sell (largely on the back of a few things like an Alpha black knight and KLD sol ring). Might get rid of the rest of my masterpieces to get a couple volcs.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Holy poo poo, I need to ditch the back my back to basics. I bought them for like $5 when I tried to play merfolk in legacy, it went about as well as you can imagine it did.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Cactrot posted:

Holy poo poo, I need to ditch the back my back to basics. I bought them for like $5 when I tried to play merfolk in legacy, it went about as well as you can imagine it did.

How the gently caress is back to basics 100 bucks.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Errant Gin Monks posted:

How the gently caress is back to basics 100 bucks.

I guess miracles plays it and a lot of basics now, and it is unlikely to be reprinted even though it is not on the reserve list.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Cactrot posted:

I guess miracles plays it and a lot of basics now, and it is unlikely to be reprinted even though it is not on the reserve list.

There's basically a "soft reserve list" of cards that aren't technically on the reserve list, but they'll likely never get a new version because:

- they aren't Modern legal, and
- they don't fit WotC's design principles, or
- they're way too expensive to include in a secondary "casual" product

See: Mana Crypt, which is still $130 despite being in Eternal Masters, and all the judge promos from P3K they've released.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

but winning games with 2/1 first strikers and 3/1 fliers is too funny

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

but winning games with 2/1 first strikers and 3/1 fliers is too funny

Uhhh

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

There's basically a "soft reserve list" of cards that aren't technically on the reserve list, but they'll likely never get a new version because:

- they aren't Modern legal, and
- they don't fit WotC's design principles, or
- they're way too expensive to include in a secondary "casual" product

See: Mana Crypt, which is still $130 despite being in Eternal Masters, and all the judge promos from P3K they've released.

Could they not print them in a non-modern legal set? Like a special edition of some sort?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Could they not print them in a non-modern legal set? Like a special edition of some sort?

They could, in like 2 years, at mythic, for $14/pack.

They probably won't though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Out of curiosity I read one of the articles about timmies and johnnies etc and it said that call of the herd was a good card. A 3/3 for 4 with flashback doesn't seem that great, espeically compared to call of the conclave or advent of the wurm. Am I just looking at it through a modern lens and it was great in legacy?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ilmucche posted:

Out of curiosity I read one of the articles about timmies and johnnies etc and it said that call of the herd was a good card. A 3/3 for 4 with flashback doesn't seem that great, espeically compared to call of the conclave or advent of the wurm. Am I just looking at it through a modern lens and it was great in legacy?

Good enough to be rare in MM2017!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

It was good way back in the day when Odyssey was Standard-legal because you could get two 3/3 tokens for the cost of a single card. Since you can cast it from your graveyard it isn't considering "using up" a card from your hand to cast it the second time around, and as such is net card advantage.

ilmucche posted:

Wizards occasionally prints Masters sets which are premium booster sets featuring expensive reprints without making them Standard-legal (and charging $10 a pack for it). Unfortunately Wizards kind of whiffed on the two most recent Masters sets and has opted to just stop doing them for a while rather than actually put in the effort to design a really good one, with the caveat that it's impossible to create a Magic product that a handful of randomly-selected Magic players will all consider unequivocally good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ilmucche posted:

The front side actually cost 3, but yes. Basically, the card is dated and was considered pushed at the time. Now, it's like, good in limited I guess.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

C-Euro posted:

Wizards occasionally prints Masters sets which are premium booster sets featuring expensive reprints without making them Standard-legal (and charging $10 a pack for it). Unfortunately Wizards kind of whiffed on the two most recent Masters sets and has opted to just stop doing them for a while rather than actually put in the effort to design a really good one, with the caveat that it's impossible to create a Magic product that a handful of randomly-selected Magic players will all consider unequivocally good.

Two things here.

They should stop for a while. They were printing too many masters sets that were not good and charging too much.

the first modern masters was unequivocally great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Two things here.

They should stop for a while. They were printing too many masters sets that were not good and charging too much.

They were good for a while but the last two definitely felt like they were made just to get made. I long for the reality where the values of IMA and M25 are combined into one set.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

whoops

Walked fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 16, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I've had two recent games as ru wizards where my opponent has played a chalice on one and over the next two turns I have just snapped off 4x wizards lightning instead of bolt.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Iconic Masters should have just been called Eternal Masters 2017 or something else. I think it's a solid set otherwise. Masters 25 has some yummy reprints, but it's full of bullshit like kicking Chalice of the Void, Ensnaring Bridge, and Imperial Recruiter up to mythic and some really bizarre decisions like Tree of Redemption (supposedly as a last second switch from Tarmogoyf).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Everyone loves goyf reprints, so that decision was incredibly weird to me. They could have just plunked in vengevine instead and no one (or at least fewer people) would have batted an eye.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

ilmucche posted:

That's kind of the point; they _could_, but they _won't_. Like, there's no real reason they couldn't put Back to Basics in an Eternal Masters 2 set, but it sure seems like they've changed the kind of cards they pick for that set.

Here's all the cards over $20 that aren't on the reserve list and aren't Modern legal. They could reprint any of them if they fit WotC's modern design for drafting. But it's mostly tutors, land hate, broken mana, and a lot of P3K cards. Of the ones on that list, I'd say Food Chain is the most likely to end up in a Commander product or something.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That's kind of the point; they _could_, but they _won't_. Like, there's no real reason they couldn't put Back to Basics in an Eternal Masters 2 set, but it sure seems like they've changed the kind of cards they pick for that set.

Here's all the cards over $20 that aren't on the reserve list and aren't Modern legal. They could reprint any of them if they fit WotC's modern design for drafting. But it's mostly tutors, land hate, broken mana, and a lot of P3K cards. Of the ones on that list, I'd say Food Chain is the most likely to end up in a Commander product or something.

Recruiter of the Guard and Command Beacon are over $20 now? :psyduck:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thanks for reminding me that I passed a Selvala in a CN2 draft where I was the first person to get bounced from my pod.

Also Goblin Settler seem innocuous enough to easily get reprinted in some supplemental product. Does it even see Legacy or Vintage play?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Thanks for reminding me that I passed a Selvala in a CN2 draft where I was the first person to get bounced from my pod.

Also Goblin Settler seem innocuous enough to easily get reprinted in some supplemental product. Does it even see Legacy or Vintage play?

It has been seen in Goblins before.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pretty sure I own temporal manipulation and exploration. If only I could find them again I could afford better decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Two things here.

I don't think they should stop printing Masters sets for a while. I think they should print them once a year like they were doing from Modern Masters 15 on until they randomly decided to throw out two mediocre Masters sets less than 6 months apart rather than stick to the schedule they had established.