Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Finally remembered to buy smoked oysters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
Today for lunch I will feast on this with some fancy bread. Maybe some mackerel fillets too if I'm greedy hungry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

Finally remembered to buy smoked oysters.

Tiny ones are the best.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

lost my retainer posted:

Today for lunch I will feast on this with some fancy bread. Maybe some mackerel fillets too if I'm greedy hungry.

Those are some fancy lookin dines man, I tell you what

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I do cocagne

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

in olijfolie

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SARDIENEN'

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Synthbuttrange posted:

Tiny ones are the best.

Agree sometimes the big ones have a gut full of algae and also by their nature they're like 75% gut

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Most of the time I open the tin and it's rows and rows of tiny oysters and its hell yeah

then once in a blue moon I open the tin and it's a handful of giants oh noooo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes the big ones are okay but sometimes they catch them after oyster thanksgiving

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Most canned oysters I've seen say they are from China. What brands/origin countries are y'all getting your canned oysters from? I don't eat them right now bc eating a filter feeder from China seems unwise.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Whats the deal with ventresca tuna being so hard to find these days? Yes i know its tuna, but its still drat delicious and the SO isnt in co other canned fish the way i am.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Lathespin.gif posted:

Work til midnite, get home, mostly empty fridge. This calls for a fuckin' sandwich

KO mediterranean 'dines, avocado, cream cheese, dab of mayo and some good hot sauce, sweat some red onion, toast some sourdough in the oniony/buttery pan after

gently caress yeah, next time I think some garlic too for the bad breath trifecta

doing this monday after i check out a local bakery that i was previously unaware of

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I've been eating canned eel lately and I must say that it is excellent. IDK if y'all have dabbled in it, but it's got a lot of spine and it's tasty

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
don't leave us hanging on that, we're going to need a link or something

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Turtle Blogger posted:

Most canned oysters I've seen say they are from China. What brands/origin countries are y'all getting your canned oysters from? I don't eat them right now bc eating a filter feeder from China seems unwise.

I only get Crown Prince smoked oysters for this reason. They’re from South Korea.

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
Had a bunch of random poo poo in pantry and fridge. Made a simple tomato soup and pureed in whole tin of anchovies, fried chili in oil and a head of cilantro. Then added can of coconut milk and served with KO Mediterranean and more fried chili.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Peachy Nietzsche posted:

Had a bunch of random poo poo in pantry and fridge. Made a simple tomato soup and pureed in whole tin of anchovies, fried chili in oil and a head of cilantro. Then added can of coconut milk and served with KO Mediterranean and more fried chili.

Sounds good excerpt for the cilantro. There are a few dishes where the soap taste works, but not many.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: cilantro rules, no matter what people with genetic defects think.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Peachy Nietzsche posted:

Thanks for the idea of putting anchovies in soup. I'm going to try that with the minestrone I make this week.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sounds good excerpt for the cilantro. There are a few dishes where the soap taste works, but not many.

??? cilantro tastes amazing and nothing like soap

E: huh I looked it up and like 10% of the population has bad genes and think cilantro tastes like soap. I suggest not breeding so as not to pass that on ((jk)kinda but not really))

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What if you like the taste of soap

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How do you even become so familiar with the taste of soap that it's the first thing you compare cilantro to?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How do you even become so familiar with the taste of soap that it's the first thing you compare cilantro to?

Swearing as a child?

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
sorry not sure what this thread is about but i'm having FISH for dinner i love fish, anyone like ARCHIE'S?

i do not know what kind of fish but it looks good

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Accidental stuff like not thoroughly rinsing a glass after handwashing it or coughing in the shower and such.

Also, I'm pretty sure properly recognizing the soapy taste of cilantro is a sign of advanced genetics, rather like lactase persistence. Which I also have.

loving Encyclopedia Brittanica posted:

However, some people find cilantro revolting, including, famously, the chef Julia Child. Of course some of this dislike may come down to simple preference, but for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Getting back in to my canned fish thing, picked up a tin of brunswick kippered herring.

Edit: i also saw some KO dines in a mustard dill sauce, ive only had them in mustard before but it sounds delicious. Can anyone confirm?

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 15, 2018

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Had a crazy idea. Are dine tamales a thing?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Tnuctip posted:

Why not?

Though for convenience, I might use canned mackerel or salmon.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tnuctip posted:

If you steam your tamales outside maybe

naem
May 29, 2011

wasn’t feeling well and only had beef ramen packets and dines in my pantry, doctored it up with some garlic bulbs, soy sauce, lime juice and tapatio to clear out my sinuses

woke up feeling 100% better the next day :911:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

naem posted:

wasn’t feeling well and only had beef ramen packets and dines in my pantry, doctored it up with some garlic bulbs, soy sauce, lime juice and tapatio to clear out my sinuses

woke up feeling 100% better the next day :911:

It's a Christmas Miracle!

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Ive been phoning fish mongers in Copenhagen but noone has fresh sardines :(((

Will have to get some canned.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Had some Brunswich lousiana hot sauce 'dines, were honestly pretty disappointing.

Can any UK/Euro folk point me to some top tier 'dines, since KO's don't seem to exist here. (John West are ehhh)

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Can any UK/Euro folk point me to some top tier 'dines, since KO's don't seem to exist here. (John West are ehhh)

Yeah, as a Nordic type I would love to know some tips, maybe to order from German Amazon or something. (KO's seem to be only available as imported from US with an insane markup, $10 for a can :wtc:) Local brands are all sub-par quality and only passable ones are boneless ones from goddamn Lidl of all places, they at least go well in foods where you just mix them in. At least we have a good Baltic herring thing going - the best season is on right now and I had fried herring steaks first lightly pickled in vinaigrette for breakfast today :allears:

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 15, 2018

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Made a sardizza tonight with Riga sprats. I don't think shredded smoked gouda was the right choice, but I was following someone else's advice. I think it could use something bright and citrusy, so I was actually thinking pineapple would pretty good. I'll probably end up doing that later this week and if it works I might have the ultimate pizza sensibility offender.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spuckuk posted:

If you go to Waitrose they have a better selection of fancy dines. Parmentier are decent french ones, and there are some other fancy looking brands too that I haven't tried yet. Asda, Tesco etc all only have John West which are OK in a pinch but aren't great.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If you're buying John West, then the 'Skippers' are the tiny brisling so beloved by the KO consumers in this thread. Only available in sunflower oil or tomato sauce though.

You can get Riga brisling at £1.50/can from Sainsburys and likely elsewhere, Aldis does a sardine brand that is nothing special, but like 30p.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Bosch posted:

Made a sardizza tonight with Riga sprats. I don't think shredded smoked gouda was the right choice, but I was following someone else's advice. I think it could use something bright and citrusy, so I was actually thinking pineapple would pretty good. I'll probably end up doing that later this week and if it works I might have the ultimate pizza sensibility offender.

Anchovy & Pineapple is my favorite combo that I can never get anyone else to try :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Onigiri with sardine filling is extremely pro and easy to make. Good lunch.