Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

What do we feel like buying?

In terms of buying:

Vote:

Harmonica: 1 wealth, is a harmonica
Reshoe horse: 1 wealth, boosts Riding
Rifle sights upgrade 2: 1 wealth, boosts Sharpshooting even further
Idle men: 2 wealth, helps build things faster
Materials for your home: 2 wealth

And interlude:

Vote:

Get in touch with Jeff Donner.
Head over to the Saddler.
Step on over to the General Store.
Walk around on the proposed site for the bank.
Purchase some materials for my homestead.
Employ some idle men to work on my land.
Gather materials to fix up my office.
Head to the blacksmith.

LightWarden posted:

It's a really mechanically impressive game.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out! :wave:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Alright, re-voting after some consideration.

Spend money on rifle sights, idle men, materials, and horse re-shoeing.. I thought I read last interlude a hammer was in our office, left by Preston with materials, so we shouldn't need to get another one. That should cost all our wealth, although I won't turn down free items if we have the stats for them now. If we end up getting other stuff, like a special weapon, I trust our GM will allow us to vote on that when the time comes.

Definitely check out Jeff Donner and the site for the bank.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Is 'talk to everyone around' a possible thing?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I'll always go say hi to everyone and explore all options, I just need to see what we want to buy since you can only enter a building once per interlude. But let's get several of these things taken care of and check out the new things.

quote:

Get in touch with Jeff Donner.

You saunter over to Jeff Donner's butchery and find Donner closing up for the day.

"Something I can help you with Marshal?" he asks as he lowers the heavy bar to the slaughterhouse door. The scent of coppery blood is heavy in the air.

"Just saying hello."

"Hello then," Donner says. "Its a pleasure to see you when I'm not hip deep in things."

You talk a while while as he returns to his home to put his feet up after a morning of hard work.

(Persuasion and Intimidate very slightly increased) (+1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate)

I'm still trying to figure out why the other dialogue options with Donner aren't showing up. Maybe it's a later interlude or maybe we missed a check earlier.

quote:

Head over to the Saddler.

Timothy Sadler's workshop is a lively place what with a young man brushing in oil to a hide while a lad of ten bubbles up fat over a brass heater for tallow. There will be candles before nightfall, that's for certain.

The saddler himself steps up to greet you with a smile, "Happy day, eh? I've got six hands here now, and not a one of them idle. So, what can I do for you?"

Just start chatting.
"Things are really hopping, aren't they Marshal," Timothy says then gesture grandly with one hand. "If this keeps on, I'm gonna be making saddles for the whole county soon."

The two of you chat but soon a customer gives a pointed cough and draws Timothy back to his business.

(Persuasion very slightly increased) (+1 Persuasion)

"That's all for now, thanks."
"Then you take care now," Timothy says and clearly means it.

quote:

Step on over to the General Store.

A gaggle of settlers all but overflows out the door to Matthew's store. Not just in the front either where the shiny nick-knacks lay but also in the barn with seed corn and up top with the scales too.

"Busy, busy, Marshal," Matthew waves at you from behind the counter. His affable sideburns are decidedly trim and well oiled today. "Take a look around. If something catches your eye, just sing out."

"Got a moment to talk?"

quote:

"I gotta say, getting that wagon through to Salt Lake city was a feat," Matthew gushes. "I mean, I'd like to think that anyone could have tried it, but you were the one who did. Guess that's the difference between those who wear a gun and those who have a badge."

The two of you discuss the subject of the law and the place of the ordinary man; at least until there are too many customers for him to ignore.
"I'd like to look at those chocolates there."
"Let me see that hammer you've got hanging up back there."

quote:

"If you like the hammer, you'll love the nails. Just in from San Fran. Steep price on the iron though," Matthew warns. "If it gets any worse then you might as well just use gold instead."

"Never mind."
Buy the expensive hammer.
Buy the hammer and nails.
"I'll be taking the hammer, and you'll be thanking me for it."
"Why don't you lend me the hammer a while, Matthew. If people see me using it, they'll be of a mind to own one themselves."

quote:

"You think that's a problem?" Matthew rubs his chin then gives a slow nod. "People don't figure they need something until they see it. Yeah, like getting your first slingshot when you're a kid. Once you know about them, you've gotta have one."

He even throws in a bunch of nails for free.
"This here dime novel, 'Massacre at the Bloody Ribbon Mining Camp', has got my name on it."

quote:

"That one's a favorite round these parts," Matthew notes then gives a little wink. "Most people sell it back to me on account of the villain actually being the hero and setting the river free. So what if some corporation can't pull out gold as fast as they want. Its a price I'm willing to pay to have clean water for washing and drinking."

The dime novel costs just that, or it would except that Matthew insists you take it for free. As expected, it is not a favorable read; mainly because the writer's favorite adjectives are sly, cowardly and weaselly.

The only thing they got right is a few bits about Schmidt and him being a mountaineer. Amusingly, they've got him clad in a bear-skin cloak and nothing else; supposedly just like a Scottish Highlander.

1. Give it back to Matthew.
2. Autograph it first, then return it.
3. Keep it.
"Be seeing you, Matthew."
You head back on out and let Matthew return to tending his store.

Harmonica wasn't in stock, but the hammer was, and we've got a high enough persuasion that he'll let us use it for free :toot:. News of our exploits seems to be getting around, and we've got ourselves some... fan fiction? Tabloid journalism? Creative recounting? Whatever it is, we've got the opportunity to turn this dime novel into a collector's edition if we want to and increase its value.

The bigger opportunity here is the exciting new Preston Springs Bank.

quote:

Walk around on the proposed site for the bank.

You take a tour of the proposed site for the bank and find it as bare as a baby's bottom. No boards, no stones, not even a single spade of earth has been turned.

Go see Preston about this.
1. Let this slide on account of my arrangement with Preston.
2. Let this slide. It isn't my affair.

...which isn't doing much right now? We have the option to let it slide here, but if we don't take it, we can go to Preston and get to the bottom of this.

quote:

Go see Preston about this.

You turn around and find Preston waiting across the street. His usual suit bears a diamond stickpin and his gloves are all of sleek black leather.

"Thought I might be hearing from you," he says laconically when you walk over.

"Where's the bank?

quote:

"Its coming. Don't you worry none," Preston replies.

"There are no wood boards. There were boards just a few days ago.

quote:

"I got a good offer on them," Preston notes.
"Not a shovel of dirt has been turned."

quote:

"Not yet. I'm still rounding up the men," Preston says.
"There should be more fresh footprints than mine on the site."

quote:

"Noticed that, did you?" Preston smirks.
Stare at him.

quote:

"Oh, I know that look," Preston says with a sigh.
"This is going to cost you."

quote:

"And here I thought I was making a tidy profit," Preston replies.
"We need to talk."

quote:

"Of course you'd say that," Preston notes.

"But here's the thing about banks. They take time. He surveys the open field for a moment, then gestures grandly as his fingers trace a building that does not exist. Those fingers halt and his hand strains to touch the invisible construct, "I imagine a grand granite edifice. A pediment of grace and stature over wide pillars. Inside, a vault to protect a ton of gold and busy tellers keeping track of accounts."

"And customers by the dozens, making tidy deposits."

quote:

"Oh yes, safe and secure," Preston agrees readily.
"It doesn't exist. I don't think it ever will if you had your way."

quote:

"Now that is a terrible thing to suggest," Preston replies and manages a terse frown.
"Sounds like a great monument. Are you going to be robed in white upon the pediment? Tastefully of course."

quote:

"Oh, of course," Preston says with a hint of a grin.
Let him talk.

quote:

"It will be a grand sight, I can assure you," Preston says in deep and happy tones.

"What will it take to make you trust in my vision?"

"A share in the bank."

quote:

"Done," Preston indicates and discretely passes you a pouch. "Consider this a.. deposit."
3. Accept.
4. Decline.
5. "Send it to my office. This is business, not a bribe."
"I want the bank to exist in more than your imagination."
"I don't want anything."

quote:

"Then why are we talking?" Preston asks in confusion.
A. "Because you made promises and those need to be kept."
B. "Because you made a contract with people."
C. "Because a bank means stability and I like that."
D. "Heck if I know. Maybe I'm bored."
E. Shrug.
Stare at him.

"Why do I need to build the bank today? This week? This month? Why can't I let things develop and, when the time is right, begin construction then?" Preston asks.
6. "I see your point. Proceed at your own speed."
7. Nod.
8 "Can you imagine the breach of contract suit that would develop? So many people, all contributing to their side of the case?
9. "Because I may have to rescind our arrangement otherwise."
10. "JT, you have got to look at this long term. The bank would be an immense draw for the entire county, even if it were just a safe by the river."

A lot of choices here with JT's dawdling construction, but it boils down to one of three things- are we going to leave things be, ask for a cut or convince Preston to do more with the bank? (If you're pushing him to do more then there's also the option of explaining why with choices A through E, though you don't need to pick any of them if you don't want to)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

A share in the bank & Send it to my office

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

8 Can you imagine the breach of contract case?

Our legal skill isn't entirely awful, and our persuasion is pretty decent: maybe we can convince him to turn whatever this scam is into an actual bank.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LightWarden posted:

So, Echo Canyon, I promised several of you that I'd talk more about it. We managed to avoid the worst of it, but there are many ways that it can play out.

As long as Caraway isn't dead she'll be here, either because she tags along with you or comes out on her own. Of course if Caraway is dead and you go to Echo Canyon then Hartigan will try to kill you in revenge. Back when you first rolled into Preston Springs there was the option to examine Caraway's injured leg, and if you were feeling particularly dickish about it you could choose to bandage it poorly enough that infection sets in and she loses the leg by this point, which means she's in terrible shape, totally pissed and wants you dead so it's fight time.

You can promise to work with Hartigan to various degrees ranging from actively helping him loot to not interfering to promising to simply not destroy the stagecoach or even telling him that he'll be letting you walk away if he knows what's good for him if your Intimidate or Persuasion are high enough, and you can ask for things ranging from a share in the loot to his services later or membership in the gang in return. When push comes to shove at the stagecoach you can still break the deal and fight the gang, which pisses Hartigan off and he'll wind up having one of his bandits throw a snake through your window or something (which you can then keep as a pet if you don't have a cat or mouse).

If you turn him down then he decides he doesn't want to let you live. Caraway or Schmidt can intervene and convince him to back down if they like you enough, or give you one last chance to negotiate if they sort of like you, since Caraway is his daughter and Schmidt knows the guy. If Caraway or Schmidt really don't like you they can even stand aside and let Hartigan deal with you. If you have both Carson and Schmidt and Schmidt leaves your side, Carson will end his friendship with Schmidt, and if Carson likes you enough he almost uses an invective! This prompts Hartigan to give you one last chance to negotiate since he's wondering if you're also keeping anything else bottled up.

If negotiations fail or you decide to get aggressive it's fight time. It's easier than the stagecoach in that you don't have to fight as many things and don't have to protect a big wagon, but it's harder in that all that threat is coming directly for you and your precious HP.

You have an opening round with which to do something.
-You can simply leg it to your horse and ride off, and the better your gunfighting and riding skills the fewer wounds you'll take (had we tried it would have taken 3 of our 5 HP)
-You can just shoot a bandit for a free kill, and avoid taking any damage in return if your gunfighting is high enough.
-You can try to deal with Hartigan, either to injure him if your gunfighting is really good or you can impress him with a high resolve or intimidate, which gives you the option to just walk out instead of keep fighting
-You can focus on Hungry Snake. If you managed to shoot him in the previous encounter then you can shoot the poor bastard again and knock him out of the fight immediately. If you managed to beat him in the brawl you can also rush him or stare him down for an automatic victory, with either any of these wins giving you the chance to flee in the confusion or keep fighting. Otherwise, it's a test of your gunfighting, brawling or intimidate skills to give you the opportunity for an escape
-If you cost Caraway her leg she's weak enough that you can try to rush her and take her as a hostage. She's still formidable enough that you need either a very good brawling or gunfighting skill to get hold of her or enough resolve to tank her attack (which still costs you 2 HP). Hartigan won't risk his daughter's life and is willing to let you leave in exchange for her safety. You can do that, or you can use her as a human shield to lay waste to the bandits, chasing them out for an automatic victory and the opportunity to loot the camp. Either way you can then choose to let her go, kill her, or shoot her in her remaining leg and leave if you're a total rear end in a top hat.
-You can also surrender. Hartigan will just kill you unless Caraway likes you enough to intervene, but you don't get any bonuses for surviving this way.

The fight proper is a bit like the stagecoach battle in that it takes place over many rounds and you can do a variety of different things like shooting, reloading, heading for cover, or focusing on key targets like Hartigan or Hungry Snake. It actually tracks ammunition so you need to remember to reload if you don't want to wind up pulling the trigger and getting a "click" sound. There's a couple of different sources of cover- out in the open (not a great idea), a certain wagon, the bandit camps and an alcove in the canyon wall. The alcove offers the best protection, but heading into the camp means you can reach your horse and ride out or find a free reload for your pistol and looking through the wagon reveals the presence of the gunpowder the bandits will use at Bridger Hill. You can then use that bomb yourself on the bandits if your explosive and engineering skills are high enough.

The fight ends once you've inflicted six points worth of casualties (which can be less than six kills since Hartigan and Hungry Snake can count for more if you incapacitate them) in which case you win and you don't have to protect the stagecoach at all (you don't get the stat boost choice you get for getting out of Echo Canyon though). The team of Carson and Schmidt makes doing damage pretty easy. It also ends if you survive for more than twelve rounds with the bandits leaving and coming back for the stagecoach later. The first couple of rounds are easiest since everyone is getting into position behind cover, and there are occasional lulls in the action when the bandits have to reload. If you don't deal with Hungry Snake then his overwatch can actually stop you from being able to make attacks against bandits on certain rounds, while Hartigan makes his own big attacks on certain rounds. If you hide in the alcove long enough eventually the bandits will try to roll the bomb at you instead. If you manage to flee you still have to protect the stagecoach but any casualties you inflict carry over and you don't have to face the bomb on Bridger Hill if it was blown up in Echo Canyon, and you also get the choice of the stat boosts surviving Echo Canyon.

It's a really mechanically impressive game.

Well, if the stagecoach gets destroyed at Bridger Hill either by going into the sand, getting wrecked by the rocks, swerving off road to avoid the bomb or getting hit by the bomb then about all that's left is to grab whatever gold you can fit into your saddlebags and head back. You can take that gold back to town to mitigate some of Preston Spring's losses, or you can hide it in the wilderness and pretend the bandits got it so you can line your own pockets instead.

Interestingly going through the script reveals that there probably was another option at one point since each of your companions has different dialogue depending on the chapter outcome, and based on one of the last outcome lines refers to an event that (if you piece it together from everyone's comments) probably involved stealing the entire wagon somehow. Unfortunately, there's no actual way to trigger that outcome in this chapter, suggesting that it was either never finished or more likely cut for some reason.

This is seriously impressive and makes me want to get the game myself. :allears:

A share in the bank & Send it to my office

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Send it to my office

Look at ig long term

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
For Donner I think we needed to help resolve his situation to get more out of him, rather than just passing it on to Preston. I could be wrong.

Keep the dime novel, accept the bank share, encourage Preston with the breach of contract issues option. I wish we could say “How am I supposed to pull off... I mean thwart a bank robbery if there’s never a bank?”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

I wish we could say “How am I supposed to pull off... I mean thwart a bank robbery if there’s never a bank?”

Preston's already doing it. In fact he's stealing the entire bank.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Think long term, sign the dime novel

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

10. "JT, you have got to look at this long term. The bank would be an immense draw for the entire county, even if it were just a safe by the river."

I like how this is shaping up; we help JT build up the County, then shoot him in the back when its time to reap the harvest.

Man this is making me so pumped for RDR2 next week!! :)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CourValant posted:

Vote:

Do all of this.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like autographing our book won out.

quote:

Autograph it first, then return it.

Matthew gives a chortle as you pass it back over, "Now this makes it something special. Worth…a dollar at least now. Say, we should make that a regular thing."

It doesn't take long to make an autograph arrangement. A profitable one for the two of you.

(Notoriety and Wealth slightly increased) (+2 Notoriety, +2 Wealth = 9 total)

And earned us a few bucks on the con circuit. Plus more fame.

I don't think I was entirely clear on this, and I apologize, but accepting the share in the bank was mutually exclusive with the bank existing anytime in the near future. Given that (and the fact that a share of the bank is a lump sum of all of three or four wealth), votes leaned more towards the bank existing at all, and of those votes it aimed for using our legal chops.

quote:

"Can you imagine the breach of contract suit that would develop? So many people, all contributing to their side of the case?"

"Good point," Preston says with a wide eyed stare. "I don't want that. I'll get someone to work on the foundation. Show some progress. It may not open this year, or even the next, but it will open."

The time table on the bank has been moved forward! Still going to take a while though.

quote:

See if Godfrey the gunsmith has gotten anything new in stock.

"Marshal," Godfrey says idly as he rolls about a bevy of musket balls atop his palm. "I'm just about done here, and then we can discuss what you might need if you ever intend to go up against Hartigan and his ruffians again."

"Got a moment to chat?"
"I'd be pleased to talk. You did well out there, or so I heard. Can I ask what you used and how it went?" he asks with professional yet amiable mien.

"Let me take a look at your handguns."
"I'd like you to give my Colt Walker a thorough looking at."
"Have you gotten in anything special for rifles?"

quote:

"I just bought a fine Malcolm six power scope off a veteran who was passing through," Godfrey explains then pats a two and a half foot long wooden case just off to one side. "Its the prettiest optics I ever did see. Even got the original wax to seal in the glass. I used it just the other day and its like being the captain of a boat or one of them Astro-mers."

Inside the case you find a tube of steel bounded by glass with a crossing of thin horsehair to form the reticule. Just long enough to mount to a rifle but strangely light and strong. A glance through the fore finds the world beyond to be six-fold closer than before.

"That's for me."
After just a bit of sighting in, you are sending rounds reliably down range to touch targets several hundred yards away.

(Sharpshooting increased, Wealth very slightly decreased) (-1 Wealth = 8, +5 Sharpshooting)

"Maybe another time."

"I've got a few questions about black powder."
"Well, ask then," Godfrey offers. "I've still got all ten of my fingers, so I expect I'm an expert in these parts."

It doesn't take long to pick up a few pointers but soon enough a customer interrupts. You just know the man has got plenty more wisdom in the black powder arts in reserve.

(Explosives slightly increased) (+2 Explosives)

"I've got to go, Godfrey. Take care now."
"You too Marshal," Godfrey says and waves you on out the door.

That extra money from the autograph session means we now have the budget for our building needs.

quote:

Purchase some materials for my homestead.
Good wood is always expensive out here and you'll need plenty of it for the fences and barn.

Fortunately, being the Marshal gives you a little leeway with things. People around town are all too willing to help you out.

(Wealth slightly reduced, Materials obtained) (-2 Wealth = 6)

Employ some idle men to work on my land.
Idle hands are not a common thing out in Preston Springs. Most are furiously panning for gold or more eager to separate prospectors from the same with whiskey or entertainment. However, this late in the year some folk fairly jump at a chance to build something up, if only so that they'll have a little practice before the weather turns. Paying them a little to start with the rest to follow proves to be enough motivation to get them moving toward your lot in the center of town.

(Wealth very slightly reduced) (-1 Wealth = 5)

This time we could get one set of idle hands, but it cost us less than it did last around.

quote:

Head to the blacksmith.

Heat roils out of the black-smithy like it were the middle of July. Even the treated wood planks that make up the walls are starting to wilt.

Inside, Kevin Coolidge shifts the sticks that hold a cherry red pot and brings it down to make a pour of swift flowing silver into a wooden mold for forks and knives. It takes only a little while for those to set as they slowly cool.

"Marshal," Kevin offers over with a nod.

"Got a moment to talk?"
Kevin shakes his head, "Got work."

"I'd like a special weapon made."
"I'd like you to re-shoe my horse."

quote:

"Strange," he says as he gives your striped Grulla a long look.

He readily eases the old, worn shoes off your Grulla and affixes a new set.

(Riding slightly increased, Wealth very slightly decreased) (+2 Riding, -1 Wealth = 4 total)

"Can you make something for my office, or rather the cells?"
"Guess I'm done here. Thanks for hearing me out."

"Anytime," Kevin replies and returns to his labor.

While we've got money left over we can save the melee weapon vote for next interlude and get on with the show.

quote:

Raise a glass at the Mother-Lode.
Visit the Babylon saloon.
Stop in at the Evening Star.
Lounge about the Grand Haven Hotel for bit.
Ride down to Elko and see a play on their little makeshift stage.
Get some pointers from Miss Caraway.
Ask a favor of JT Preston.

First off I'm going to roll the dice and see what Elko gives us.

quote:

Ride down to Elko and see a play on their little makeshift stage.

You and a dozen others sit down to a play that reaches back into antiquity; the tragedy of Timon of Athens.

Timon is a wealthy patriarch of Athens, generous and caring to his friends. Perhaps a bit overly so as even the smallest gifts given to him are returned a dozen-fold. Indeed, he goes so far as to pay three talents of gold so that his servant Flavius might marry the woman that Flavius dearly loves.

At a fine and sumptuous banquet Timon goes even further; paying to release an old friend from debtors prison so that he might attend then giving away art and jewelry to all who attend. When the party is over Timon is left with nothing but the house he stands in; which is promptly confiscated by creditors. Only a cynical philosopher Apemantus and a worthless but professional fool keep Timon's from being taken to debtor's prison.

Timon pleads with those he thought were his friends only to have them turn away. Filled with wrath at this turn of events, he vows revenge and engineers another banquet for those he feels betrayed him. At the 'feast' he serves them rocks and tepid water then sprays them with both before he flees Athens.

In a cave beyond the city's bounds he contemplates the error of his ways and his reliance on the appearance of friendship. Then he discovers a bit of gold. And then more. The cave is filled with it. But Timon does not care for what the gold could buy or that he could return to society. Now fully a misanthrope, he meets with a rebel leader and offers him his wealth in return for attacking Athens itself. Even when his good friend and former servant Flavius entreats him to relent, Timon can not. Instead he simply notes that this shining example of friendship and goodness is a mere servant in Athens.

Timon withdraws to the wilderness to die; leaving behind only the epitaph:

'Here lies a wretched corpse of wretched soul bereft.'
'Seek not my name, a plague consume you wicked catiffs left!'
'Here lie I, Timon, who alive, all living men did hate.'
'Pass by and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.'

(Survival slightly increased) (+2 Survival)

Not terrible.

Now, most of the buildings are pretty similar to how they were the last time we were in town, but two interludes back we gave some advice to a prospector named Sam Pitcage and now he's back in town. Once again he's in the first saloon you enter, but last time we met him in the Evening Star before, so let's go there again.

quote:

As you head for the swinging doors of the Evening Star saloon, you spy a familiar figure down the way. Sam Pitcavage, his trousers frayed but with a heavy pouch in hand.

When he spots you he waves, and nearly loses his grip on the pouch.

"Hey, Marshal. Good to see you again," Sam replies and carefully grips the leather. Around the edges lies a spill of gold dust. "I took your advice and started working twice as hard."

"So I see. You finally find some gold?"

quote:

"Some. Enough to keep going," Sam notes. "Say, let me buy you a drink sometime. The beer in the Evening Star is sweet when I'm paying by the bottle and not the shot-glass."

1. "I'm glad for you. This is how things are supposed to be."
2. "What we do for ourselves pays off ten fold."
3. "Keeping your chin up is the only way you can take life's blows."

"You want some more advice?"

quote:

"Sure." Sam says, listens eagerly.

4. "Work really, really hard."
5. "Figure out how to give orders, as well as take them."
6. "Learn how to relax, where to do it and with who."

"Have you had to protect your claim yet?"

quote:

"Matter of fact, I did," Sam says with a wide grin. "A big old brown bear that came sniffing around. I took a shot, but didn't kill him though, just drove him off a ways."

7. "Doesn't matter if you killed it, it matters that you tried."
8. "I bet you got plenty of free drinks on account of that tale."
9. "Too bad it didn't drop. Bear is good eating and you can do all sorts of things with the hide."

Once again we can pick one of these nine conversation topics to help improve Sam (and also ourselves).

The other thing you may have noticed is that we can call on Miss Caraway and JT Preston. When you have more than 100 Influence with some characters you can cash in 10 points of that in exchange for some sort of favor or lesson.

For Miss Caraway, it's pretty simple: she can teach us either Gunfighting or Brawling since we've surpassed her with Sharpshooting.

JT Preston can give us a lesson on Persuasion, Intimidate or Legal or he can give us a loan for 4, 8 or 12 Wealth. Since we're on good business terms with him he doesn't really care about seeing the 4 wealth ever again and only wants half back from the 8 wealth loan but he'd want the 12 wealth loan back in full later.

After we get Sam Pitcage and our friends' favors sorted it's that time again.

quote:

The men you hired mill about and wait on your word.

You know that you've got piles of lumber and such waiting at your lot.

Nothing much is happening, at least nothing around these parts that Preston and his deputies can't tend.

1. Ride out on a circuit of Lander county as the Marshal that people expect me to be.
2. Practice incessantly with my guns.

quote:

2.1 Practice solely with my pistols.
2.2 Practice solely with my rifle.
2.3 Practice with both equally.
2.4 Practice with my pistol more than my rifle.
2.5 Practice with my rifle more than my pistol.
3.Pull out my books and get to studying.

quote:

3.1 Focus on the law texts
3.2 Dive into the engineering manuals
3.3 Memorize the flora and fauna guides
3.4 Skim through all three of your tomes
4.Get out in the fresh air and do things.

quote:

4.1 Ride my horse for hours
4.2 Go for long walks along the river
4.3 Chop wood like there's no tomorrow
5. Go prospecting for a time.
6. Hire out as a hired gun for part of a stagecoach run.
7. Fix up my office.
8. Get started on the roof before it rains.

Vote for up to three things to do with our time. We've got one set of hired hand so if you want to vote for both construction projects then vote for whichever project you want to use the extra manual labor.

LightWarden posted:

You can't do an option twice in one interlude, and if it's a subheading it'll lock out the other ones as well (so if we spent a segment practicing with pistols we couldn't spend another segment practicing with rifles during this interlude). Most of the skills should be pretty self evident, but of the remaining ones: riding a patrol boosts our Law and Order stats, long walks boosts Stamina, and chopping wood boosts Brawling and Resolve. Prospecting has some RNG elements to what comes back.

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions:
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Enough to drink a little whiskey in a good saloon. (4 total)
Values:
Order: 69% Freedom: 31%
Honor: 78% Arbitrary: 22%
Law: 52% Individuality: 48%
Notoriety: 4% Anonymity: 96%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 52%
Sharpshooting: 47%
Brawling: 37%
Riding: 39%
Survival: 38%
Legal: 27%
Engineering: 14%
Explosives: 27%
Persuasion: 43%
Intimidate: 46%
Stamina: 35%
Resolve: 41%

Influence:
Influence Carson: 68%
Influence Schmidt: 74%
Influence Caraway: 117%
Influence Preston: 107%
Influence Hartigan: 45%
Influence Albion: 60%
Influence Marshal James: 55%
Influence Yiska: 93%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Topic 9 with Sam.
Brawling advice from Caraway.
Persuasion advice from Preston.
Fix up home with help from idle hands.
Fix up office.
Read engineering manuals.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Topic 9 with Sam.
Fix up office.

This sounds good.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

achtungnight posted:

Topic 9 with Sam.
Fix up office.

I can go for this.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

Gunfighting with Caraway.

Persuasion with JT Preston.

No loan from JT Preston.

1. Ride out on a circuit of Lander county as the Marshal that people expect me to be.

7. Fix up my office.

8. Get started on the roof before it rains – with the added manual labor.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CourValant posted:

Vote:

Gunfighting with Caraway.

Persuasion with JT Preston.

No loan from JT Preston.

7. Fix up my office.

8. Get started on the roof before it rains – with the added manual labor.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like we're regaling Sam with our bear-slaying times.

quote:

"Too bad it didn't drop. Bear is good eating and you can do all sorts of things with the hide."

"It would have been nice," Sam agrees. "Guess I'll have to try and hit the head next time. See you around Marshal."

(Intimidation increased) (+4 Intimidation)

With that he tips his hat and strides toward the assayers.

(The line about giving orders also boosts Intimidation)

quote:

Raise a glass at the Mother-Lode

The Mother-Lode, the favorite watering hole of prospectors and those who don't mind drinking with them. Sure the Babylon has style and the Evening Star has quite the looker for an owner, but when you want a drink and don't mind a little mud on your boots, it is the place to go.

It helps that Mother Maddy, owner, bartender, cook, and confidant, tolerates you as she does few others who don't pan for gold. She won't speak about what brought her out here though, no matter how you ask after it. Apparently somethings in the west stay secret.

quote:

Visit the Babylon saloon.

The Babylon caters to the upper crust of the townsfolk. Those that don't have to get their hands dirty unless they want. Brass fittings, silver mirrors and canvasses from around the world adorn the interior.

Exotic drinks too; not just whiskey. Cactus wine, authentic honey mead, wheat beer, and a few other specialties from who knows where line the back of the bar. It serves a grand pepper steak too, just as good as the one from the Grand Haven hotel. Mainly because they share a kitchen and a cook.

quote:

Lounge about the Grand Haven Hotel for a bit

The Grand Haven is, as ever, in grand style. Its carpeting is the best, and nearly only, kind about. The color even matches the drapes. They serve a great pepper steak too, equal to that of the Babylon; namely because they share the same kitchen and cook.

Nothing else changed at the other stops, so on to the favors.

quote:

Ask a favor of JT Preston.

You find Preston in the Babylon saloon, 'consulting' with one of the dance hall girls who seems to be all aglow from talking with the big man in town.

He glances into the mirror behind the girl and catches your eye. The message is, give me a minute and, indeed, the two do part. With a smoldering glance to be certain, but apparently they are accustomed to that.

"What brings you by Marshal?" Preston asks and is all business once again.

Two of his deputies, including the tall one, shift about to cover both you and the door.

"I'd like to borrow a sum of money. I'm good for it."
"Can I ask how you got where you are today? Not right here, but Sheriff and owner of nearly the whole town?"
"I have got to get me some deputies like yours. I bet they keep things quiet around you."
"Actually, I was wondering if you could tell me a little about the local law and how you apply it. Just so I have something to compare my own efforts with."
"Forget I came by."

quote:

"Can I ask how you got where you are today? Not right here, but Sheriff and owner of nearly the whole town?"

"Now that's a long telling. You see, I had the advantage of being, in the beginning, the sole resident of Preston Springs," he relates with an odd reverie. "Yes, I tasted the well water and found it good enough to site a town. That made selecting the name easy, as you might expect. That's the first lesson you should take away for being successful. Be first. Everyone who comes after will have to eat your dust."

(Persuasion increased) (+5 Persuasion, -10 Preston)

quote:

Get some pointers from Miss Caraway.

It doesn't take long to find Miss Caraway at the Babylon saloon; trying to tease a little silver out of a poker pot.

"Ruolan! Get on over here." she 'suggests' amiably. "What brings you by?"

"I'd like to ask you about the art of the draw."
"I'd like to learn how not to get my teeth kicked in."
"Never mind. Another time."

She only offers lessons on Brawling and Sharpshooting if your skill is under 40.

quote:

"I'd like to learn how not to get my teeth kicked in."

"That's easy," she notes and gives a little bit of a lopsided smile. "You just have to either throw the first punch and make it the last, or else fight like the sack full of cats. All out, never give up or in. Tooth and nail the whole way and hope the one you're up against ain't doing the same. If'n that happens, well, it ain't never pretty come dawn."

(Brawling increased) (+5 Brawling, -10 Caraway)

A brisk demonstration leaves you with a few bruises in exchange for some hard earned wisdom.

Fortunately, we're still above 100 Influence with her, so as long as we don't piss her off too badly we can come back for the gunfighting lessons next interlude.

Construction time!

quote:

Fix up my office.

A stack of fresh boards, topped with a jar filled with penny nails and a stout hammer to pound them with, has been dropped off at your front door one morning. A set of swinging shutters for your window is propped beside it. No bill, no note, just a gift out of the blue. Preston's doing, no doubt.

The men you hired get to work using the materials you purchased and soon the well appointed office feels about as fine as a real hotel back in San Fran.

Our office is at the second highest condition, we're just about done with it.

quote:

Get started on the roof before it rains

You set into working with a will using the tools and materials you purchased and before long the roof is nearly complete except for the tricky part around the stove pipe.

Prepare the bear hide for setting out right in the middle of the floor.
The hide, after a bit of scraping, drying, and roasting, makes a fine rug for your home.

Save the bear hide for now.

And we got a new rug out of it.

quote:

Take out my books and get to studying.

You take your books down from the shelf and open them to the silk ribbons that mark where you left off.

Dive into the engineering manuals.
Dams and bridges. The very lifeblood of things back east. Holding back floods and connecting roads held knit towns and cities together.

(Engineering increased) (+4 Engineering)

Our engineering skills are still not exactly great.

quote:

Your spare days have been eaten up in full and you know that it is time to once again shine up your tin star.

Interlude concluded

On to chapter 5!

quote:

Autumn blows in and brings with it a surprise.

A dark shape hangs in the sky like a pillow gone awry. For the second day in a row it has risen at dawn to linger just east of Grey's Peak like a smudge upon the steadily lightening horizon; a hot-air balloon like they've got back east, though this one is far out west. This kind of thing bears looking into, especially in your county.

I'd better look into this right away.
Finish my white tea first.
Stay in town. This does not concern me.

I could stop here for a vote, but all of these choices kind of lead to the same actual choice, just with two different routes. See you in the next post!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
First up is staying in town, since this route is far shorter.

quote:

Stay in town. This does not concern me.

You settle in and get the odious paperwork done. It seems strange that being a tin star demands so much of that, but apparently everyone from the Governor to Secretary of the Treasury wants to be informed of what you are doing. Either that or they just want to file it away in a red ribbon bound tome in the D.C. archives; just in case someone should need to know the tedious details of a marshal's term.

You scribble away as a rough wind blows down from the mountains. Judging from how constantly it rattles the shuttered office windows, winter is going to be a real treat. Thankfully, a clatter soon rises up in the street and diverts you from having to deal with stubborn ink.

A glance outside finds a trio of prospectors guiding a laden mule down the main street straight toward the assayer's office. Down the way you catch a glimpse of Mother Maddy as she sweeps out the front of the Mother-Lode. That proves a fine compliment to things as the lantern of the Evening Star is taken down. Apparently Miss Star is finally calling it a night. Atop all that, a steady din can be heard from within the Grand Haven Hotel. The steady clatter of fork and spoon redoubles as a tangy scent of frying bacon spills into the air.

Then you see a dusty gathering just outside of town; mules and near to a dozen men.

"Buenos dias," a woman's dulcet voice calls out to you in echoes of the far south. You turn and find an unlikely woman standing off to one side beside a horse whose brothers and sisters are just now making their way into town.

quote:

You drain your cup of its delicate floral tea, spin the chamber of your Colt Walker, grab a rifle, and step outside.

A rough wind blows down from the mountains and rattles the glass panes of your office windows.

You narrowly avoid a trio of prospectors as they guide a laden mule down the main street straight toward the assayer's office. Down the way you catch a glimpse of Mother Maddy as she sweeps out the front of the Mother-Lode; her white hair is ice-bright in the rising sun. Fitting then that the evening lantern of the Evening Star is being taken down. Apparently Miss Star is finally calling it a night. Not so from the Grand Haven Hotel where the clatter of fork and spoon redoubles as the tangy scent of frying bacon fills the air.

You bring your horse out of the stable and leave all that behind as you ride toward the distant balloon.

quote:

The valley around Preston Springs is a long green and lush stretch of land that goes on for miles and miles between the jagged ranges. Even your Grulla can't eat that distance up in one gulp but soon enough you enter the foothills. All the while the balloon obligingly bobs high above the mountainous wasteland and that keeps you from getting readily turned around in the maze of animal paths that wind their way through here.

Farther in are the Chimney Rocks and, if you heard tell from Schmidt correctly, there is a cold water lake or two hidden up there as well.

At last you are close enough to catch a good look. It is a balloon alright and with navy blue panels adorned with an insignia up top. Dangling below it is a figure seated upon a simple plank. Apparently someone is daft enough to want to float in the air when a stiff wind might bring them crashing down. Something suddenly glints alongside the figure; a looking glass of some kind. As you spur your Grulla onward, the balloon and passenger begin to descend like a fog on a cool day.

Head right on over and find out what exactly is going on.

quote:

You ride over top of the ridge and find a sprawl of a campsite below. The balloon is there, winched down by a roll of cable and the earnest efforts of a quartet of brown clad fellas with short shorn hair.

In the field nearby plenty of pack mules chomp upon stray green grass nearby. Their burdens piled up neatly beside a simple track that leads up further into the mountains. A number of horses mingle amongst them although there does not seem to be enough for everyone. As the balloon touches down the seated figure nimbly steps off and pulls at a cord that shifts open a panel up top. The magnificent thing begins to deflate. In but moments it is merely a layer of shiny silk sprawled across the hard ground. When figure steps away, she adjusts a broad brimmed hat to reveal midnight tresses and wholly pleasing features. Even from across the way her smile welcomes you.

Rein in and wait.

quote:

You wait. The balloon descends. As it begins to slip from sight, the figure seated below it gives you a courteous wave.
Head over.

quote:

You ride over the ridge as the balloon is winched down to the ground by a quartet of brown clad fellas with short shorn hair.Behind them a few horses mingle with burros in the nearby grassy field. A pile of provisions and sacks sit along a path that leads up into the mountains. If these people are looking for trouble then they don't plan to give generously. The seated figure nimbly rises as the silk settles and adjusts a broad rimmed hat to reveal a spill of midnight tresses. With a sweeping gesture she invites you closer.
Sneak in close.

quote:

You scurry up the ridge and peer over just in time to see the balloon be winched down to the ground by a quartet of brown clad fellas with short shorn hair.Only a few horses as well as two dozen pack mules can be seen on the grassy green behind them. If they're here to fight anything it would have to be boredom. The seated figure nimbly rises as the silk settles and adjusts a broad rimmed hat to reveal a spill of midnight tresses. Without pause she steps toward a nearby burro and retrieves something from a carrying bag.
Go on down and greet them.
Return to Preston Springs.
Sneak in close.

quote:

You scurry up the ridge and peer over just in time to see the balloon be winched down to the ground by a quartet of brown clad fellas with short shorn hair.Only a few horses as well as two dozen pack mules can be seen on the grassy green behind them. If they're here to fight anything it would have to be boredom. The seated figure nimbly rises as the silk settles and adjusts a broad rimmed hat to reveal a spill of midnight tresses. Without pause she steps toward a nearby burro and retrieves something from a carrying bag.
Go on down and greet them.

quote:

As you ride over the ridge the lady from the balloon gives you an inviting wave.
Return to Preston Springs.

quote:

You return to Preston Springs and find your paperwork waiting.
Fire my gun in greeting.

quote:

You pull your pistol and give a double shot as an announcement. Anything more is a call for help and anything less might just be varmint hunting. The echo of the twin thunders readily diminishes as the echos ring across the nearby hills.
Ride over the ridge and see what is what.

quote:

You ride over top of the ridge and find a sprawl of a campsite below. The balloon is there, winched down by a roll of cable and the earnest efforts of a trio of brown clad fellas with short shorn hair. One of them hurriedly digs through a pile of sacks and saddles that line a simple track that leads further into the mountains. In a field nearby, plenty of pack mules chomp upon stray green grass nearby while a number of riding horses mingle amongst them. As the balloon touches down the seated figure nimbly rises and pulls at a cord that shifts open a panel. The whole thing begins to deflate. In but moments the grand sight becomes a mere layer of shiny silk sprawled across the hard ground. The figure idly adjusts her wide brimmed hat to reveal a spill of midnight tresses then invites you closer with a wary wave.
Wait politely.

quote:

You wait and wait. And then some more. No one crests the ridge.
Ride over and see what is what.
You ride over top of the ridge and find a sprawl of a campsite below. The balloon has already been winched down by a roll of cable and a trio of brown clad fellas with short shorn hair. One of them stands amid a pile of sacks and saddles that line a simple track that leads up into the mountains. A hefty leather satchel rests in his grip. The figure from the balloon strides over to him and extracts something from the satchel that is hidden from your view. Then she turns back and idly adjusts her wide brimmed hat to reveal a spill of midnight tresses before she invites you closer with a wary wave.
Return to Preston Springs

Bunch of little different pieces of text. And fun fact: If you turn around and go back to Preston Springs, you get the scene where you stayed in town, except the flavor text changes to represent the passing of time.

quote:

Up close, her dress is a practical tan linen with silver gilt buttons. The usual layers covers every inch of her from the frisk of leather boot whose toe peaks out from beneath the divided hem all the way to a hint of lace about a slender neck. Only her hands are bare below that and even these she quickly hides behind white silk gloves that she absently tucks into her sleeves. A sturdy belt makes for a hint of curve though some of that stems from the gold edged and gem adorned saber that tugs at her hip.

"Greetings stranger," she calls out in dulcet tones as you dismount, "who do I have the pleasure of addressing?"

1. "Miss Ruolan Shen."
2. "The county Marshal."
3. "I'd rather have the pleasure of addressing you."

Another odd stopping point, but there's a couple of different variables that can be set here which make transcribing the following sections a bit more complicated to deal with.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Miss Roulan Shen

She has a.. Unique way of coming in. We can be polite after all. No sense in having to say we're a marshal unless we thik something's afoot.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Miss Shen

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Finish our tea
Sneak in close
option 3

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

wedgekree posted:

Miss Roulan Shen

She has a.. Unique way of coming in. We can be polite after all. No sense in having to say we're a marshal unless we think something's afoot.

This.

I wonder if this lady’s into Sharpshooting. That balloon probably makes a good vantage point.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: 2. "The county Marshal."

This ain't a social visit, might as well see here what's been going on now.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

quote:

"Miss Roulan Shen"

"A rare pleasure," she replies. "I am…rather, you may call me, Maria Agustina Toledo y Santarosa."

"Maria," a stern voice cracks out like a whip as a lean fellow with more scars and years than hair strides out from where the bulk of a nearby steed had hidden him. "You are far too familiar with this woman. We know nothing of them."

Maria subtly rolls her eyes but falls silent and forces a mantle of placid calm over herself as the bald man steps over, "Of course, Uncle. I will do as you say."

Her uncle blows out his long mustache in overblown doubt but his eyes might as well be made of cracked ice, "Now then, I will know your name, stranger. For my niece is in the protection of Carlos Gustavo Toledo, Conde de Puebla, Carlos Sangre Halcon de Vera Cruz, Carlos de Toledo y Leon."

He lays a hand on the pommel of a saber that neatly matches that upon the lady's hip. From the way he stands you have no doubt that he knows which end to hold.

"As Marshal of these lands, I welcome you."

quote:

"It is good to be welcomed," Carlos notes coldly. "Now, I will have your name or we shall part on steel terms."
1. Stay Silent
2. "I am Marshal Roulan Shen."
"That's a lot of names."

quote:

And they are all mine, earned by birth or with blood," Carlos notes coldly. "Now, I will have your name or I shall add another to my own."
Stay Silent
"I am Marshal Roulan Shen."

quote:

"Please forgive my uncle," Maria asks softly of you as her familial guardian ambles back toward the shade of a wiry tree. "He has taken his recent reverses poorly. Indeed, ever since Vera Cruz my father had thought... well, let us not speak of that. You said you claim to be a marshal?"

1. "Claim to be? I am the Marshal. Marshal Roulan."
2. Reveal my tin star.
3. "You sound skeptical."
4. Just nod.

Hope y'all like Q&A sessions!

quote:

Up close you find her to be a rare flower of dusky, nay flawless skin and sky blue eyes. A pert little nose rests below an even brow and her lips are full and lush. As you drink in the very sight of her you swiftly realize that she is watching you in equal measure. If she is from Mexico then that nation must be the most visited place in the world. To one side rests a sketching pad covered by steady lines that depict the land from an eagle's eye. Numbers lay scattered throughout and down the sides; elevation marks and references as you've seen on many a cartographer's map.

"You said to call you Maria Agustina Toledo y Santarosa. That seems enough of a name for most but I get the feeling there is more."

quote:

"Ah, you noticed," she says. "My full name is a trifle long for casual meetings."

"Why don't you tell me your full name, for I do not think this to be a casual meet."

quote:

"No?" she considers lightly. "Very well; my full name. Maria Agustina Theresa, Maria de Zapopan, Maria de la Descalzas Reales, Maria Paulina de Toledo y Santarosa."

(+2 Maria)

"You are named Maria four times."

quote:

"Indeed. Once for my given name, once for my title, once for my efforts and again for family," she explains. "It would be worse were I Catalan or Basque, but thankfully we are both spared that."

"My jaw's gonna up and break if I call you that every day."

quote:

"That is why I limited my names to numbering four," she notes wryly.

"Wait, you said you had a title?"

quote:

"I am Condesa de Zapopan, or as you would say, A countessa of a city in the province of Jalisco... a province that is rather far away," she explains and gestures vaguely southward, "have you been to Mexico? It is not a parched desert. Indeed, Jalisco is a varied land. One might break their fast amid deep forest and then walk down to lunch upon a Pacific beach. They grow limes and watermelon nearly the whole year round, not unlike California."

"Maria de la Descalzas Reales?"

quote:

"Yes. It is a convent where you could say I spent a great deal of time," she says as she lets slip a slight and wistful smile.

(+2 Maria)

"I noticed you have a balloon."

quote:

"Yes, beautiful is it not?" she says then turns to the monks as they pack away the silk with steady hands. "My father insisted I bring it along so that, if need be, I could launch myself into the sky and float back to him. Fanciful, I admit, but he does love his poetry."

"May I ask about that blade you wear?"

quote:

"A short saber, made from Toledo steel. It cuts like a parting kiss," she says as she absently taps the hilt. "I wear it both to fend off the creatures of the desert and to cut the ropes of my balloon if the winds prove treacherous."

"Why do you have these monks with you?"

quote:

"I plan to found a hermitage in these mountains. These friars are here to assist with that," she explains, "I had already found an ideal place following my first observation, a glacial lake further up in the mountains. With ample water and space for crops, it is only a matter of finding them a suitable cave for temporary shelter until something more permanent can be arranged."

"You said some things about your uncle."

quote:

"Those are his stories to tell, not mine. We have just met after all," she indicates.

Let her ask a question or two.
"Let's skip to the end of this."

quote:

Let her ask a question or two.

"So, dear Miss Roulan. Tell me about yourself. Have you traveled far in your years?"

"I feel I have come a long way from where I started."

quote:

"Do you?" she wonders, "and are you descended from a family of long walkers?"
1. "Yes."
2. "No."
3. "Actually, I rode a horse most of the way out here."
4. "Not at all compared to others."
5. Shrug.

quote:

The monks stow away the last of the balloon then take their ease in the shade of the packs. The sun continues to rise and slowly bakes the land. "Will you stay for tea or coffee?" Maria Agustina asks. "I know even my uncle would not mind that and might even join us for a sip."

1. "Tea would be wonderful."
2. "Coffee will do fine."
3. "I've already had my morning tea."
4. "I'll pass."

quote:

"While we wait, would you tell me about your pistol?" Maria Agustina asks politely.

1. "It shoots holes in things."
2. "I haven't used it much."
3. "I think not."
4. "It is a Walker Colt, a rifle shaved small to fit my hand and it kicks like a mule."

quote:

"From the way you talk, you'd get along with Yiska pretty well."

quote:

"Yiska?"
1. "He's this Lawyer and Shoshone... that is to say, Newe in their tongue."
2. "Yeah, he's an Indian fella who knows a lot of different languages from around these parts."
3. "Yiska."
4. "Are you sure you're from Mexico? You talk real good."

Fair bit of talky stuff to go through here (six total). If you don't feel like voting for all of them, just be sure to mention which ones you're actually voting for because if your vote consists of just three numbers or something I'll have no idea what you mean.

Also, with the arrival of Maria we've now met everyone with an influence tracker. The game doesn't actually hide this, so whenever you start a new game you'll have all of them listed on your stat sheet at the start. Not that much of a spoiler, but I'd been cutting them out of our stat block until we met them.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get how you're trying to get through big parts of the game with condensing the voting like this, but geez, there's a lot to get through this time. Ok, let me try...

2. Reveal my tin star.

1. "It shoots holes in things."

2. "Yeah, he's an Indian fella who knows a lot of different languages from around these parts."

Thanks for doing this game, it remains entertaining.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

2. Reveal my tin star.

4. "It is a Walker Colt, a rifle shaved small to fit my hand and it kicks like a mule."

LightWarden posted:

"A short saber, made from Toledo steel. It cuts like a parting kiss"

I like her.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

CourValant posted:

Vote:

2. Reveal my tin star.

Seconded.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

2. Reveal my tin star.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Avalerion posted:

2. Reveal my tin star.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Thanks for answering all the questions folks, there were several but no good stopping points and I didn't want to drag this out over several sessions!

quote:

"I am Marshal Shen Ruolan."

"It is good to meet you. Now, I will leave you to converse with my chatty niece. If you have need of me, and I suggest you do not, then I shall be just over there; pretending to nap," he notes

"Please forgive my uncle," Maria asks softly of you as her familial guardian ambles back toward the shade of a wiry tree. "He has taken his recent reverses poorly. Indeed, ever since Vera Cruz my father had thought…well, let us not speak of that. You said you claim to be a marshal?"

"Claim to be? I am the Marshal. Marshal Shen."
Reveal my tin star.
"You sound skeptical."
Just nod.

quote:

Reveal my tin star.

"That is…interesting," she notes as she considers the star upon your blouse. (+2 Maria)

quote:

"Actually, I rode a horse most of the way out here."

"Oh, of course," she says and offers over a chagrined smile. "But what I meant…is not important I suppose." (+2 Maria)

quote:

"It is a Walker Colt, a rifle shaved small to fit my hand and it kicks like a mule."

"An apt description, and a fine weapon. Indeed, I believe most lawmen carry something similar," she notes. (+2 Maria)

quote:

"He's this Lawyer and Shoshone…that is to say, Newe in their tongue."

"A lawyer and a native Indian? What an exotic mix," she notes. "I would very much like an introduction when there is time." (+2 Maria)

In the distance the whiny of a horse is heard. A pair of riders atop paired white stallions crest the nearby ridge and start down the mountain trail toward the encampment. Maria Agustina glances but briefly in their direction before turning back to you.

"Are you expecting them?"

quote:

"I had been. At least, I suspected they would return. Sooner than later it appears. The one on the left is the bodyguard I brought with me from home. The other... I merely met while traveling," she confides.

"Friends of yours?

quote:

"Friends? One perhaps. The second is the bodyguard I brought with me from home. The first... I met recently while traveling," she confides."

"I'm not going to get that cup of tea, am I?"

quote:

"I am afraid not," she says regretfully, "at least not yet. I have two protectors with me, one of whom I began my latest journey with and another I merely met while traveling. Both prefer coffee over tea, though not for the same reasons."

"Good thing I already had my tea."

quote:

"Indeed," she remarks, "my protectors have returned. One of whom I began my latest journey with and another I met recently while traveling. Both enjoy coffee over tea, though for very different reasons."

Oh boy, new friends!

quote:

The two men are riders of very different sorts. The first is powerfully built fellow with short, golden hair and a clean shaven beard. Upon his hips ride twin sawed-short shotguns where most men could barely manage a revolver. Furthermore, a long rifle nestles between his shoulder blades and is wrapped in a loose blanket with the grip exposed.

The other is a burly sort going big about the middle. From the foggy gray in his beard he's at least forty and beginning to show it. A single pistol lies holstered at his belt and a rifle is cased alongside a well weathered saddle.

"Allow me to introduce these gentlemen. Firstly, my guardaespaldas Eduardo Lindo Espinosa y Cervantes. And with him is Roger Steele. Marshal Roger Steele," she repeats and catches your eye meaningfully before she turns back to them. "Gentlemen, this is Ruolan Shen."

Her blond bodyguard merely nods to you just as warily as you'd expect.

The older man dismounts with a slow creak of knee and a hitch to his step, "Well missy, the lady might like meeting people, but I'm gonna have to ask you to move on."

"Hold on, you're a marshal like me?"

quote:

"Older but better looking," Roger Steele says with a wink. "So, you on your way to your county?"
"This is my county. Lander County."
"No, I'm already in my county."
"I won't be moving along. Meeting strangers and looking into things is what a marshal does."

quote:

"You a marshal?" Roger Steele puffs out his mustache. "I don't believe it."
"Believe it. I'm the Marshal of Lander county."
"Doesn't matter what you think, it matters what is."

Reveal my tin star.

quote:

"Huh, look at that," Roger Steele puffs out his mustache then eases aside his coat to reveal a tin star of his own. "Its just like mine."
"Yes, because I'm the Marshal of Lander county."
"There is a reason for that; I'm the Marshal of this county."

All responses lead to Rome... or Lander County in this case.

quote:

Steele's eyes narrow as the words leave your lips, "That ain't funny. There's never but one Marshal to a county. Deputies, sure, but there's only one real tin star."

Maria Agustina takes a half step forward, "Perhaps there has been some clerical error, a mundane scratch of the pen that sent the two of you here."

"Doubt it," Steele shakes his head slow but keeps his eyes on you. "More likely, this celestial is an impostor."

He reaches with two fingers of his left hand into his breast pocket and extracts a thick sheaf of papers. His other hand doesn't shy from his pistol, "I know all that because I've got the papers to prove I am the rightful Marshal."

A flick sends the papers over to Maria Agustina. Her bodyguard slips off the saddle and interposes himself between both you and Steele as the Condesa/Countessa begins to read. After a moment she runs a finger along the paper and teases at a portion with the tip of a fingernail.

"There is a raised seal and the edging seems crisp. The ink is a rich official blue no older than a year," she notes then turns papers about for your eyes.

The documents are exactly as she indicated. But when you step close to inspect them yourself Steele settles a hand on his pistol, "Those are mine and mine alone."

At the cold tone Carlos stirs from his bit of shade to regard the sudden crowd about his niece with a dark wariness. He stands slow as if stretching, but no one is fooled any more than a cougar could convince an antelope.

"I'll admit. These are a good forgery."

quote:

"Is it?" Maria Agustina wonders. "The respective truth of that is not my affair."

"It is of mine," Steele relates in cold tones as he palms his pistol. "I'll not be called a swindler."

"Hold your temper sir," Maria suggests. "There is no cause for more than words."

"I have my own documents."

quote:

"Of course," she nods and passes the papers back to Steele. "But, alas, this is not my affair."

"It is of mine," Steele says sternly. "I'll see your documents, Shen. When I hold them in my hand, I'll know for certain what your game is."
"You were not willing to let me examine yours at length and so you shall not do so with mine."

quote:

"I'll not have my name blackened," Steele says as he openly palms his pistol and a long moment draws itself out as the two of you face off.

"Hold your temper sir," Maria suggests. "There is no cause for more than words."

"They're in my office."

quote:

"Then go get them right now," Steele suggests as he openly palms his pistol.

"Hold your temper sir," Maria Agustina suggests. "There is no cause for more than words."

"Have you ever seen a marshal's paperwork before?"

quote:

"A point," Maria Agustina agrees. "I am unfamiliar with anything of that nature."

"That don't make her right," Steele notes coolly as he openly lays a palm atop his pistol.

quote:

Maria's bodyguard idly shifts his stance. The twin shotguns at hip a reminder that there is more than enough buckshot for everyone and maybe even the horses. Nearby, Carlos subtly shifts his saber just enough to make certain it won't stick when sliding out of the scabbard.

1. "I agree. I will get them from my office and you can see for yourself."
2. Yank my pistol and get to work despite having to face two deadly foes.
3. Back off, ride off and then get out my rifle.
4. Take a swing at this 'Marshal' Steele.
5. "I'll be leaving now, but not because I'm wrong, but because I don't want to see anyone get shot who doesn't have it coming."

What the hell is going on? And what are we going to do about it?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hoo boy. Even if this Steele is a real marshal (and he does seem suspicious), he’s also clearly a racist and not fit for duty. Still probably best not to confront him with Eduardo getting jumpy about Maria getting caught in the crossfire. Disengage with #5.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The guy is being such an unmitigated rear end in a top hat that even the people he came with aren't exactly on board with it. Better to just disengage with #5 since I doubt they'll let him do any funny business. Be the reasonable party and I don't think it'd be us they'd turn their guns on if it came to it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

To be fair we didn't exactly get recruited under the most usual circumstances, but let's not let some rear end in a top hat push us around either.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
5 But we definitely have need to clown on this guy later if we get the chance.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
We need to get some distance, but no need to go far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Boop his nose!