Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Motto posted:

Another that's just Maniax but with Raidou instead of Dante

Maniax Chronicle also adds an extra part onto the end of the TDE, by showing Lucifer and the Lady in Black talking to Narumi about the Demi-Fiend.

It's also maybe a little bit harder than Maniax, by defaulting to the original release's NG+ difficulty (which was slightly tougher than Maniax even on Hard).

There's not too many differences between Maniax and Maniax Chronicle, but it's not quite just "Raidou instead of Dante".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm realizing how little I remember about Nocturne, at least the little things.

There is a Demon Compendium in this game, isn't there? I just got to Ginza, maybe it takes a while to unlock it.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm realizing how little I remember about Nocturne, at least the little things.

There is a Demon Compendium in this game, isn't there? I just got to Ginza, maybe it takes a while to unlock it.

It should unlock very soon, iirc

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

You get the Compendium at Ikebukuro.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bogart posted:

Hey someone spoil what’s new about Deep Strange Journey Redux please. I will never play that game again.

They improve the law and Chaos ending by having Jimenez and zel realize they were going off the deep end by talking to a future war orphan. The nuetral ending is you hang out on the moon with arthur

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

mandatory lesbian posted:

They improve the law and Chaos ending by having Jimenez and zel realize they were going off the deep end by talking to a future war orphan. The nuetral ending is you hang out on the moon with arthur

That's the short version. If you want the fuller one (and I'm gonna go in-depth here):

The game builds on the rushed nature of the original's story by introducing Alex, a time-traveler who comes from whichever hosed up future you create in your run. She bursts into the story in the middle of Bootes by killing you.

...At which point you wake up in "The Womb of Grief", a god-prison, revived by the harvest goddess Demeter. This is the game's new dungeon, very Amala Labyrinth, and if you clear this before taking out Mem Aleph, you're given a choice of whether to go onto the new route or the old one. If you don't, or refuse her, you're on the original story but now Alex is a post-Mem final boss you have to kill. If you team up with her, she vanishes, meaning you've changed her doomed future. You come through the Womb and out the other side into the Empyrean Ascent, where you'll battle the Three Wise Men from the original game as your new final boss.

The endings change thus: Alex will talk to either Zelenin or Jimenez if you're on Law and Chaos, asking that Zelenin preach songs of virtue, not obedience, or that Jimenez work for freedom, not power. If you're on Neutral, though, the story gets hosed because the conflict that wipes out the timeline is "since you all stopped the Schwarzwelt, nobody in power learns any lesson, and when the second one comes, it scourges the species." As a result, you consume the Fruits that the entire Womb quest is seeking out and become an immortal. You and Arthur take up residence on the moon, and every time a new one appears, the pair of you enter the void and collapse it. His final words to you, since you're still silent in this ending, are basically asking if you still feel human underneath everything, as the... I think it's 7th Schwarzwelt in 200 years? emerges. Nobody has learned anything and the process is accelerating each time.

Also Alex is Lucifer's daughter, not that she's aware of that.

Also there's just a lot of fleshing out the final few sectors, and a whole lot of new spritework. If it's not the new demons and bosses in the new dungeon, it's the fact that every crew member has a face and name now, and they redid the artwork for all of the climactic battles with major characters in the final stages. The bloodied portraits a few have while dying hit me in the gut when I first got to one.

Also also I figure you probably know this but they redid a lot of the difficulty curve in the form of it adapting the SMTIV app style so you no longer have the limits, meaning you can tune difficulty or turn off some of the shittier functions if you like. Basically any gripe in the original game has some kind of app to smooth or counter it, even if it's not IMMEDIATELY available.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 16, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Those are some very cool changes.

Not cool enough for me to replay Strange Journey but I'm glad they have fixed many of the complaints of a 10 year old game nobody bought besides the posters in this forum

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Hunt11 posted:

It might be time to go do the dlc fights then involving Cleopatra and Faust.

Are DLC fights in Apoc less bullshit than SMTIV?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Cleopatra was easy but Diamond Realm was kicking my rear end. That's all i tried.

Also I had forgotten how infuriating it is get the skills you want on your demon fusion in Nocturne. Ugh. Also the hardest part of Hard Mode is the fact random encounters get to attack first about 50 or 60% of the time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Kitchener posted:

They can be difficult but there is no stigmata or whatever that bullshit status was to deal with and while I have not done the Steven fight, from everything I have heard he is not nearly as much bullshit as the Masakado fight.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
All that stuff for SJ redux actually sounds good and makes me want to play it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Weed

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

:yeah:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

END ME SCOOB posted:

That's the short version. If you want the fuller one (and I'm gonna go in-depth here):

His final words to you, since you're still silent in this ending, are basically asking if you still feel human underneath everything, as the... I think it's 7th Schwarzwelt in 200 years? emerges. Nobody has learned anything and the process is accelerating each time.

The exact quote is "7th iteration of Schwarzwelt formation detected. 150 years have transpired since our last operation. Do you still feel human?" If the last operation refers to the events of Strange Journey, it means the world is still doomed. But if the last operation refers to the 6th iteration of the Schwarzwelt, it just means Space Marine has spent at least a millennium protecting humanity.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Cool, thanks for the correction. I had to do that from memory since New Neutral was the first ending I got.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
See the impression I got from it was that it doesn't really matter what humanity does or doesn't do, Law and Chaos will still try and crush them. The Schwartzvelt was just smoke and mirrors, since what they want is to be on top, not Earth to be prosperous. If the planet was entirely peaceful there's nothing to really suggest either faction would just leave it alone.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/1052578292266659840

https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/1052552309996220416

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've heard Atlus is one of those Japanese companies that is like "we don't really care about our foreign fans." I dunno if that's true but given that Persona 5 apparently did better overseas than in Japan, maybe they are starting to value us more.

The Matador fight in Hard Type is fun but a lot of luck, especially in the second stage. If he repeatedly uses Taunt, I dunno what you can do. If you have Rakukaja on a couple demons, great. I only had it on Jack Frost. I thought my Pyro Jack with Media, War Cry and Sukunda would get me through it but I was a fool.

I wonder if Uzuma was specifically made for this fight given she has Media and nulls Force attacks. I tried to beat him without her but making him lose a turn is vital

Also the fact you can get into random encounters right up until you are sucked into the boss fight is total garbage. I suspect that is a fault of the Fiends just being thrown into the game. I wonder how many people died to Matador simply due to the fact they had two random encounters before a sudden boss fight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard Atlus is one of those Japanese companies that is like "we don't really care about our foreign fans." I dunno if that's true but given that Persona 5 apparently did better overseas than in Japan, maybe they are starting to value us more.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hey, that's even where they cut off the anime.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
they shouldnt had worried because no one cared about the story by 11/19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the latest shareholder presentation for Sega remarks that the performance of Persona 5 and Yakuza have shown them the importance of international sales.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are approximately zero Japanese companies who don't consider the western market more important for traditional games because even the most obscure otaku focused thing possible will still sell more here than in the mobile obsessed domestic market.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno if it's just my imagination but it feels like demons level up in Nocturne at a glacial pace. I want to fuse and make new demons so badly but I can't because they all still have one last ability I want. Like Oni and his Fang Breaker. I made a mistake focusing so much on War Cry as bosses are now starting to liberally use Dekunda and I don't have 40 MP to keep wasting on this poo poo.

Hell Biker kicked my rear end and looking online at someone else who beat him had them 4 levels higher than me.Dunno if that's absolutely necessary but I'm taking time to just grind and try to fully level up my demons. The sacrificial fusion seems like the best way to actually get demons leveled up to get all their abilities but it's kinda a....I dunno what you call it. The more levels a sacrifice has the more EXP the fused demons gets, right? So if it takes forever to level up a demon, you don't want to just sacrifice it.

Unless the key is to recruit some Level 2 demon and they max out their skills at in one fight in the Labyrinth of Amala. But I'm not sure if that how the sacrifice works..

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Another really nice thing about p3's system was it added the Monad Block on new game plus playthroughs so you could grind quickly with your endgame stuff. That was cool and I wish they would have repeated it with Mementos.

I don't know if there'd be much point, to be honest. It's not like there's any post-endgame fights except for the one.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if it's just my imagination but it feels like demons level up in Nocturne at a glacial pace. I want to fuse and make new demons so badly but I can't because they all still have one last ability I want. Like Oni and his Fang Breaker. I made a mistake focusing so much on War Cry as bosses are now starting to liberally use Dekunda and I don't have 40 MP to keep wasting on this poo poo.

Hell Biker kicked my rear end and looking online at someone else who beat him had them 4 levels higher than me.Dunno if that's absolutely necessary but I'm taking time to just grind and try to fully level up my demons. The sacrificial fusion seems like the best way to actually get demons leveled up to get all their abilities but it's kinda a....I dunno what you call it. The more levels a sacrifice has the more EXP the fused demons gets, right? So if it takes forever to level up a demon, you don't want to just sacrifice it.

Unless the key is to recruit some Level 2 demon and they max out their skills at in one fight in the Labyrinth of Amala. But I'm not sure if that how the sacrifice works..

Yeah demons level a lot slower than the MC. I would advise registering your guys and fusing up. If you really want that skill later you can pull them back out of the compendium and finish their leveling in a later zone, but odds are a lot of those skills will get obsoleted anyways before long.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Yeah demons level a lot slower than the MC. I would advise registering your guys and fusing up. If you really want that skill later you can pull them back out of the compendium and finish their leveling in a later zone, but odds are a lot of those skills will get obsoleted anyways before long.

Money is kinda tight right now in the game. Pulling a bunch of demons back from the Compendium just isn't really viable. I'm already regretting I have to recall Archangel to get Estoma and that's a mere 9K compared to, say, Kikuri-Hime costing me 20K.

Lucky Find is amazing though. I keep getting Bead Chains. Who would have thought I'd be selling Bead Chains but I find them so semi-regularly I don't mind and it's 5K so that's great.

Going back to the last game I played and contrasting it with Nocturne, there's a mix of good and bad changes. Being able to assign skills for fused demons is a loving godsend. On the other hand, Nocturne shows you every skill you and a demon will learn so there is a lot more capability for planning.

Looking up a guy who beat SMTIVA on Apocalypse Mode for their first run... I wish I had Akasha Arts. I was using Mortal Jihad until the end of the game. With Akasha Arts the LP'er was doing 4-5K damage to YHVH. It's not really a problem as such but the sheer diversity of what you can do in SMT games means you can really back yourself into a corner and completely miss vital skills. Example, I only got Imposing Stance thanks to random skill augments while this guy had it when he fought Krishna.

I feel like I blundered through the game missing a ton of useful stuff. I don't think that happened with Nocturne, partly due to there being a farsmaller pool of Demons but also because I can see what each demon can do.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Most SMT games penalize you for trying to keep the same demons by making leveling incredibly slow at some point. In Persona it's balanced where you almost always will get skills through fusing only Arcana you are friendly with and it's not worth trying to actually level the things.

Using Nocturne as an example people keep Daisoujou until the end of the game because he's just way too good, but if they leveled with you there would be a lot less fusion going on.

For me it's the main differentiation between SMT and Pokemon, in Pokemon you almost never switch out a member you get comfortable with and between evolution and learning all sorts of new moves you're rewarded for it. In SMT you are rewarded for routinely seeing if you can fuse someone better.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yeah the games are balanced around a team that's constantly in flux.

I kept Daisoujou and Red Rider for a loooooong time

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Nocturne shows you every skill you and a demon will learn so there is a lot more capability for planning.

That's one of the player friendly changes for the HardType hack. It's also kinda there because they changed skillsets around a bit.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, Daisoujou is just hard to get rid of. Prayer and Meditation are... just... so goddamn convenient.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

That's one of the player friendly changes for the HardType hack. It's also kinda there because they changed skillsets around a bit.

Oh. My bad then. Thanks for the info.

HardType is very good, though. Probably won't play the normal game after this. Although I might play HardType on Normal for future runs just to avoid the hassle.

Artelier posted:

Yeah the games are balanced around a team that's constantly in flux.

I kept Daisoujou and Red Rider for a loooooong time

But doesn't a demon just become useless after a while? Their stats can't keep up with the higher level demons.

I loved Matador and was so happy when I fused him but eventually he was useless and I had to get rid of him.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

But doesn't a demon just become useless after a while? Their stats can't keep up with the higher level demons.

I loved Matador and was so happy when I fused him but eventually he was useless and I had to get rid of him.

Yeah, that's why you're supposed to just keep getting new demons.

Daisoujou gets by because iirc he is the earliest, possibly easiest source of full party healing, and even has his own special version to boot that also heals all ailments.

Red Rider gets the honour of having an AOE physical attack...that uses MP. He became a great "can generally hit everyone every turn at no real risk" guy for trash mob fights. :)

EDIT: THE AWESOME GHOST also makes a good point about keeping Daisoujou's MP up, which I have forgotten since I haven't played in years.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 22, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Oh. My bad then. Thanks for the info.

HardType is very good, though. Probably won't play the normal game after this. Although I might play HardType on Normal for future runs just to avoid the hassle.

Yes but when you get the demon that has a fully heal your entire party skill, and also has a skill that gives him more MP, then levels become less important for that team member :v:

Often it's solved with fusing onto a stronger body but some skills just don't transfer. In some of the later games you'll also sometimes technically be fusing up to someone with more stats but worse resists and weaknesses, which are also important. A lot of the utility stuff doesn't scale with stats, damage dealers you'll probably replace constantly.

I spent the most time doing super good fusions in Persona for some reason but in those games you do eventually hit a point where your uber customized best skillset demons are going to be better than anything new you can fuse

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Look at my beautiful sullen anime teens, now in hd! I especially like Ken's Koromaru wings on his casual gear

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ongyo-Ki was kicking my rear end something fierce. I thought the one that used Dekunda was the real one because, coincidentally, that turned out to be true the first couple times. It never occurred to me to look for a shadow during full Kagutsuchi.... M y hats off to the devs for being way smarter than I .

I wonder if they will bring the moon thing back for SMTV.

I'm also in such an SMT mood now that I kinda wanna play SJR once I'm done with Nocturne HardType.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Hunt11 posted:

They can be difficult but there is no stigmata or whatever that bullshit status was to deal with and while I have not done the Steven fight, from everything I have heard he is not nearly as much bullshit as the Masakado fight.

Masakado is just random and bullshit and requires specific builds that can withstand not getting killed straight.

With Steven you can just limit buffs and debuffs to two and he won't kill you. That is much more fair in comparison.

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe I found it normal when I played and grinded my way getting the starting Pixie to full transformation, but when I leveled up my SMTIV demons, I just felt it was very quick and having reserve demons leveling up a complete surprise. I have a tendency to grind and overlevel since SMTI, so it felt like the natural order of things.

Regarding sacrifices, I forgot the specifics, but full moon and no moon fazes I remember had a multiplier for increasing the chance of accidents for a really special demons or just the blob.

Out of all the SMTs I've played though, I found the Nocturne fuzing system and compendium to be most fun to mess aorund with.

I feel that taking away moon phases took away an essential part of the game in hopes of generalizing the games. It should come back for V.

Wark Say posted:

Man, Daisoujou is just hard to get rid of. Prayer and Meditation are... just... so goddamn convenient.

I kept him for the entirety of the game. He works on everything, even metatron. Granted, you have to fully level him up by that stage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not being able to choose my fused demon's skills is driving me up the wall. I have the perfect healer demon but the odds of me getting all four skills on a better demon is slim to none.

I'm just about to go do the Fairy crap at Yoyogi Park and also frustrated with the two Physical Magatamas that just became available. . 240k.... I obviously need them both though. But even selling the Spyglass and assorted other rare items I could barely afford the 150K one. I dunno if I should get the more expensive one which has Life Surge, Endure and Javelin Rain or the less expensive one that only has Life Gain but also has Hades Blast and Retaliate. Hades Blast is a stronger technique IIRC.
Also I have two permanent slits filled with Void Nerve and Void Mind because gently caress status ailments.

Decisions decisions.

Also, are there any "locked off" demons? Like, in SJ and IV and IVA you have to beat such-and-sh demon to become capable of fusing them. It is Black Frost you fight later on right? Can I not fuse him until I beat him? I think you need a Tyrant to do it and I just got Loki. Man, a lot of the special fusions in this game must be impossible to guess at and need a guide. Only the angels one seems obvious.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Like how Agi is the fire element spell for the franchise, what was the earth element spell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Magna.