Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
rollin in the deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

rollin in the deep

now I'm imagining adele doing the voice acting for cylostra

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Is it just me, or in the roster reveal, do Deck Gunners sound a lot like Jezzail Teams? I don't think they showed the Deck Gunners off in the video.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Fangz posted:

Dwarves need to be relatively weak because they are the "low-micro, arrange your battlelines and let the enemy throw themselves at you" faction. If other factions that require more skill to use can't beat that, then that's pretty bad for balance.

Also Dwarves aren't the gunpowder race in the lore anyway. They may have invented the stuff but kinda the point is that they are held back by their traditionalism, which is why the Empire is pretty close/already has overtaken them, and why Skaven and Chaos Dwarves can outshoot them. The real core of the dwarves is their excellent heavy infantry and quarrellers in the early game.

Don't forget high leadership; every loving unit on their roster will fight basically to the last man regardless of what you do to them.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
The huge gently caress off cannon and hand cannons looks a lot like a test for chaos dwarfs earthshaker and blunderblussses.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

Also Dwarves aren't the gunpowder race in the lore anyway. They may have invented the stuff but kinda the point is that they are held back by their traditionalism, which is why the Empire is pretty close/already has overtaken them, and why Skaven and Chaos Dwarves can outshoot them. The real core of the dwarves is their excellent heavy infantry and quarrellers in the early game.
Don't the Dwarfs basically think guns are some kind of dangerously newfangled technology despite having invented them hundreds of years ago, and so basically don't innovate with them at all? Meanwhile, the Empire is working on repeater rifles and flintlocks that, sure, explode in your face sometimes, but also are actually new.

e: Its also weird as poo poo that Noctilus doesn't get access to the Lore of the Deep, or at least a combined Vampires/Deep lore instead of his current Vampire/Shadows lore.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 16, 2018

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

e: Its also weird as poo poo that Noctilus doesn't get access to the Lore of the Deep, or at least a combined Vampires/Deep lore instead of his current Vampire/Shadows lore.

He's called a Master Of The Lore Of Shadows in his blurb, and something had to give.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They aren't gonna make the Kemmler/Mannfred mistake again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Does Deep have healing or do the vampirates still lean on regular Vampire lore for that?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fangz posted:

They aren't gonna make the Kemmler/Mannfred mistake again.

Kemmler/Mannfred mistake?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dongattack posted:

Kemmler sucks and is boring while Mannfred is a contender for Best Lord (mechanically, he's still Mannfred ofc). Newer sets of lords provide actual choices but no one in game 1 would ever take Kemmler over Mannfred.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ravenfood posted:

Don't the Dwarfs basically think guns are some kind of dangerously newfangled technology despite having invented them hundreds of years ago, and so basically don't innovate with them at all? Meanwhile, the Empire is working on repeater rifles and flintlocks that, sure, explode in your face sometimes, but also are actually new.

Their knowledge of physics and engineering is actually more advanced than they show on, they can build submarines and zeppelins but their conservatism holds them back especially since the guild of engineers is led by some of the most hardliner retrograds of them all.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kemmler sucks and is boring while Mannfred is a contender for Best Lord (mechanically, he's still Mannfred ofc). Newer sets of lords provide actual choices but no one in game 1 would ever take Kemmler over Mannfred.

Kemmler did end up getting Krell towards the end of game 1, so he's not quite so boring.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Dongattack posted:

On release Mannfred could do anything Kemmler could, and is also a kickass combat lord, also gets to ride a dragon, making Kemmler utterly pointless.

Eventually they gave Kemmler some more stuff, but yeah.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fangz posted:

On release Mannfred could do anything Kemmler could, and is also a kickass combat lord, also gets to ride a dragon, making Kemmler utterly pointless.

Eventually they gave Kemmler some more stuff, but yeah.

He also got an entire second lore of magic and better magic items.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I only just realized that Heinrich Kemmler is a nazi reference

Lol, 80s GW.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ZigZag posted:

The huge gently caress off cannon and hand cannons looks a lot like a test for chaos dwarfs earthshaker and blunderblussses.

Hadn't even thought of this but you're almost certainly correct

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Aren't zombie ogres in the roster too? Between huge cannons, blunderbusses and rifle weapon teams this DLC feels pretty foretelling of things to come.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Azran posted:

Aren't zombie ogres in the roster too? Between huge cannons, blunderbusses and rifle weapon teams this DLC feels pretty foretelling of things to come.

Nope. Only zombie humans, bats, dogs, crabs and some vampires.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Animated Hulks are waterlogged Ogres with squids welded on.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I think the Dwarfs are mostly fine, but I’d give good money for CA to ditch the magic resistance (which does nothing against buffs/debuffs and cyclone spells) and instead give runesmiths a new runic ability that reduces spell durations. It works for neutering any kind of spell, and it feels more like you’re telling the elves to gently caress off with that magical bullshit.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I only just realized that Heinrich Kemmler is a nazi reference

Lol, 80s GW.

1d4chan posted:

It is possible, especially considering GW's love of basing things in both 40k and Fantasy on actual history, that Heinrich Kemmler takes the basis of his name from the German priest Heinrich Kramer, the who wrote the Malleus Malificarum, the book that started the European witch craze and was basically "Witch Hunting for Dummies", complete with claims that witches went around stealing dicks and hiding them in birds-nests for the lulz.

You got it all wrong, friend!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Triskelli posted:

I think the Dwarfs are mostly fine, but I’d give good money for CA to ditch the magic resistance (which does nothing against buffs/debuffs and cyclone spells) and instead give runesmiths a new runic ability that reduces spell durations. It works for neutering any kind of spell, and it feels more like you’re telling the elves to gently caress off with that magical bullshit.

Or make magic resistance reduce debuff durations as well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Pretty sucky if you don't want a runesmith or don't wanna do the micro... Besides the magic resistance also helps vs enemies with magical attacks - e.g. Sisters of Avelorn.

If Dwarves weren't vulnerable to debuffs people trying to take them on early without AP would be totally hosed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My mom is ill today so I'm taking off to sit here with her and hot drat, I found my old early 2000s Warhams books to pass the time.

First stop is Warhammer Chronicles 2004 that has the Middenland list in it, and it has the usual wolf knights and teutogen guard stuff but something I did not remember and don't think has been thrown around much is that Middenland state troops can take a full-on, hero tier warrior priest (of Ulrik, not dumb Sigmar) as a unit upgrade alongside the usual champion/banner/musician. That could be a really cool buff if Boris ever gets to be a proper LL- give each state troop unit a once-per-battle bound spell. There's four spells a priest can cast but I'd just assign each unit whatever fits them, like give spears and halberds the one that gives Unbreakable. Being able to poo poo out hero-tier characters with bound spells is a way cooler gimmick than "we are greatswords, but with hammers."

The Lore says that since Ulrik is a war god, his priests have to join up with their flocks whenever a state troop regiment gets raised, which is badass imo.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/227749/ca-emp-dwf-cannons-getting-grapeshot-too-right#latest

Bad news, the roster was outdated or something, and they scrapped the alternative modes for artillery.

quote:

Yeah, we designers screwed up with reviewing the text. Sorry for that! The idea was scrapped as we felt that while it did help make artillery more versatile, it also reduced the differentiation between different artillery types. Dual ammo is more necessary for Elves with one artillery piece than gunpowder focused factions with lot of artillery variety.

Explains all the "may"s in the roster, seemed strange.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 16, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If they leave the projectiles in the files that takes about 10 minutes to add back in with a mod.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1524091553

But it's being implemented in an official capacity when the Vampire Coast launches in less than a month.

Wait really? Are there any other major campaign mechanic changes with VC?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I am deeply saddened at the loss of limescale ammunition. I was looking forward to committing horrible war crimes on the High Elves.

Mazz posted:

If they leave the projectiles in the files that takes about 10 minutes to add back in with a mod.
I wouldn't keep your hopes up. The roster reveal text reads like something copied out of a design document's brainstorming session. So it was probably just an idea that got scrapped before it ever saw implementation.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Also fat opera pirate lady is the best LL, it's insane how hard she owns. Definitely my 1st pick for pirate vampire playthough.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

I am deeply saddened at the loss of limescale ammunition. I was looking forward to committing horrible war crimes on the High Elves.
Most of the roster probably counts as biological weapons, so you still can!

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Also fat opera pirate lady is the best LL, it's insane how hard she owns. Definitely my 1st pick for pirate vampire playthough.

But doesn’t offend you that CA is upending the deep and carefully crafted Warhammer lore in a way that doesn’t even make anyone horny?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Necroskowitz posted:

But doesn’t offend you that CA is upending the deep and carefully crafted Warhammer lore in a way that doesn’t even make anyone horny?

Slambo approves this post.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Wait really? Are there any other major campaign mechanic changes with VC?

Not that they’ve mentioned yet. The best chance is whenever they talk about the Vampire Count changes. They’ll probably get something or another.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Unfortunately, the VSea LL start positions are inversely related to how cool I think they are. Ghost lady is awesome, she has the worst start. Pegleg Mermaid is least interesting, but has the best start. I genuinely don't know who I'm going to play first

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Enjoy watching her get spirit leeched and die in two casts
It'll be like TW1 launch with spirit leech and witch hunter accusations determining battle outcomes in the first 30 seconds again :-)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9oowbi/sfo_the_green_and_the_grudge_greenskin_content/

SFO Greenskin revision is pretty nuts. Too much really, for stuff like the Grimgor change imo.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

Enjoy watching her get spirit leeched and die in two casts
It'll be like TW1 launch with spirit leech and witch hunter accusations determining battle outcomes in the first 30 seconds again :-)

I play 0 multi so she'll just roll the AI hard lol

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I really like the idea of a blorc warboss hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

People who agonize over canon are almost always fascists of some sort and as far as I can tell, the canon for Warhammer is pretty loose, right?