Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Well anyway. I don't get why people didn't think this felt like a Who episode. I was thinking that last week, but this felt almost stereotypically somewhat weakly written Who episode, with all the talk about pacifism and sticking together and guns being bad, and not living up to the concept. It was fine.
I think I welcomed the flying dishrags because it shows that from time to time they're still going to do whimsical fantasy stuff, even if they're pretty stupid for being an ultimate killing machine.
And I'm welcoming the little bits of continuity. They're not overwhelming the episode and it's far more interesting to slowly learn about a through line than to just repeat a catch phrase harder and harder or to cut away to a garden or something.

I kind of like the idea that the Doctor is philosophically opposed to guns specifically, not just any weapon. Yeah, there's not much difference between shooting robots and cobbling together an EMP, but guns are only really useful for shooting stuff. And if you can shoot killer robots you can shoot killer aliens, and if you can shoot killer aliens you can shoot a monster that might not be a monster after all and then that starts you down a very dark road that the Doctor doesn't want to go down. We kind of saw that with Eccleston in Dalek. When all you have is a gun, everything starts to look like a nail.

Of course, I'd prefer if they actually discussed this into the show, instead of "guns bad, cos I said so"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

None of those are guns. I see a tricorder, an ikea lamp, a vibrator, and two serving dishes/antenna.

Edit: And a nutribullet

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Stabbatical posted:

Speaking of Tennant, I'm surprised how much the 'No Guns, ever' thing has stuck with the character considering it started in The Doctor's Daughter (IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong),

So very wrong. It's been a big tenet of the Doctor's character since the beginning.

From the 1st Doctor story 'The Gunfighters':

HOLLIDAY: You ain't wearin' a gun.
DOCTOR: Well, I should hope not. I certainly disapprove of violence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

DOCTOR: Well, I should hope not. I certainly disapprove of violence.

Although the 1st Doctor casually beating the poo poo out of that assassin in The Romans, giggling the entire time, was certainly pretty great.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Sure it's all well and good, but she has a tool that can do pretty much anything the plot needs it to do - including detonate explosives. Other people need something to defend themselves from killer robots.

As I said earlier I've only recently come into Who stuff so maybe this is meant to be a deliberately hypocritical stance, but the situations I've seen so far haven't felt particularly substantial.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Although the 1st Doctor casually beating the poo poo out of that assassin in The Romans, giggling the entire time, was certainly pretty great.

And the 1st Doctor very nearly beating an unaware caveman's head in with a rock.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

By that point in the episode it was already established that firing at the robots would just draw their ire. Ryan wasn't defending anyone from imminent danger, and he should've listened to/trusted the character who knew what they were dealing with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Doctor being HYPER "no guns ever!!!" is more of a revival series thing. The classic doctors were against violence, but from what I've seen didn't come off quite so preachy about it.

I guess the retroactive justification is the Time War/War Doctor?

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
The robots ire had been drawn by moving in front of them, though. They were already aggressive and out to kill.

I don't know. I just dislike characters that preach about non-violence and so on when they have magical tools, spells or whatever to get around the limitations the rest of the cast have to deal with.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Safeword posted:

I don't know. I just dislike characters that preach about non-violence and so on when they have magical tools, spells or whatever to get around the limitations the rest of the cast have to deal with.

Harriet Jones* made a similar point to the Doctor when she blew the Sycorax out of the sky, about how they can't always rely on there being a magic space wizard appearing out of nowhere to save the day against a technologically advanced invading force. But I don't know if we can take her seriously, she looked pretty tired at the time.

* Former Prime Minister

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

* Former Prime Minister

Yeah, we know who she is

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This looks pretty.

https://twitter.com/lukespillane/status/1052156994726039552

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's awesome, and hopefully the light control means they might try to make it a little less dim in future episodes.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
From the GBS "I will animate your face" thread-

Also although I'm enjoying the episodes so far, I'm going to have to add to the "show, don't tell" whining for this one. Some of the sci-fi (and plot) stuff probably could have used a pass from a science nerd with mild OCD.

Like the two different mentions of THREE SUNS with no quick and easy establishing SFX shot and only one shadow during all of the desert scenes. And the race/contest itself doesn't seem to make much sense with no audience unless Judge Rude-y wanted to find the monument and he buggered out immediately after giving up all the loot. And why would the judge guy feel at all threatened by someone whose life he currently holds in his hands when he's just there as a hologram? And why can't the "sniper robots" shoot straight at even short distances when they have a perfectly nice shooting gallery (again why?) to practice in? And the psychic oracle vampire sheets can fly but not attack and what were the bonuses for picking up strangers and those traps make no sense and and and et cetera. I just hate it when stuff doesn't feel adequately thought through.

Anyway good show, the cast is great and pretty much everything looks good and sounds neat. Kind of hoping now that the TARDIS crew later stumbles across earlier (failing) contestants and parts of this Race for more background on whatever the gently caress was supposed to be going on here. Given that Chibnall's team thus far doesn't seem to want to do much detaily nerdworld work while they're trying to get to the broader(church) character arcs though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Conversely, I think this looks way too sparse. And stop using bits of plumbing.

Absolutely love the hexagonal floor lighting though.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Jerusalem posted:

That's awesome, and hopefully the light control means they might try to make it a little less dim in future episodes.

Hey, who turned on the lights?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Faction Paradox is a spin-off of Doctor Who, originating in the novel Alien Bodies.
http://factionparadox.wikia.com/wiki/Faction_Paradox_Wiki
Uh what. There is this fandom for a, from my perspective, obscure spin off series from a DW novel?! What is this and how has it eluded me?!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lampsacus posted:

Faction Paradox is a spin-off of Doctor Who, originating in the novel Alien Bodies.
Uh what. There is this fandom for a, from my perspective, obscure spin off series from a DW novel?! What is this and how has it eluded me?!

You know the Brigadier's granddaughter has her own book series?

Wait, the Brig has a granddaughter?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So apparently, the Thirteenth Doctor has a unique, custom-made ear cuff that Whittaker herself had input in designing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msSdDdhA1qk

Holy poo poo, that's amazing and bafflingly minute detail for a TV show costume design at the same time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

The FP books are surprisingly good if slightly headache inducing with their time travel shenanigans. There are no explicit heroes, just people with different agendas.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lampsacus posted:

Because Lawrence Miles decide to build his OWN sci-fi series! With blackjack! And hookers!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lampsacus posted:

I genuinely wonder what Mad Larry thinks about it.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it's this. Like, horrible monster-water would normally have been demonstrated by some expendable character refusing to follow the Doctor's request not to go near the water, and getting monster-watered, and it felt less like a threat when it was just continuously explained and not demonstrated, but all things considered, that's a minor complaint.

The water was less 'monster of the week' and more 'clue that everything on this planet is designed to kill you', I think. (And anyway, the Doctor has fought killer water before.)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

fractalairduct posted:

The water was less 'monster of the week' and more 'clue that everything on this planet is designed to kill you', I think. (And anyway, the Doctor has fought killer water before.)

Based on how dangerous the other "Dangers" on the planet were, the character falling into the water would probably have developed a mild rash.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lampsacus posted:

there was a book series that spun off from the telos dr who novellas. not the target novels or the eighth doctor novels, the weird blue hardcover novellas you've never ever heard of.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Hunter_(series)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

Right, but it's still something that had to be explained by a character rather than demonstrated.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Bicyclops posted:

Right, but it's still something that had to be explained by a character rather than demonstrated.

With no other life on the planet it's hard to demonstrate that when everyone is essential to the plot and/or is a member of the TARDIS crew.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Like the two different mentions of THREE SUNS with no quick and easy establishing SFX shot and only one shadow during all of the desert scenes.

There were three suns in the sky just before Graham said "the three suns are a bit of a giveaway" at the start. And in the night/day transition three moons spun over to three suns.

(Third's behind Ryan's head, hard to get a shot with all three visible)

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 16, 2018

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Bruceski posted:

There were three suns in the sky just before Graham said "the three suns are a bit of a giveaway" at the start. And in the night/day transition three moons spun over to three suns.

(Third's behind Ryan's head, hard to get a shot with all three visible)

I stand corrected. I suppose it was just less clearly expressed than I expected to see. Still no excuse for all the singleton shadows though.
:pseudo: :techno:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jodie is delightful in every single way. Absolutely.

But man do I not care fo the new TARDIS at all. It's just too much of a departure from what we've traditionally known.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Jodie is delightful in every single way. Absolutely.

But man do I not care fo the new TARDIS at all. It's just too much of a departure from what we've traditionally known.

I admit I don't love it, but it reminds me of the first revival design. I didn't love that one either, but it does feel of a similar sort of aesthetic. TV movie for the win because it's pretty much the only only one that looks like it might be a decent place to chill. The others look uncomfortable at best to stark and hospitally at worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have been pretty outspoken about how much I love the 11/12 control room. It just felt right to me. Like a proper throwback to the early designs. The organic ones don't work for me and I hated 11's first design.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

remusclaw posted:

I admit I don't love it, but it reminds me of the first revival design. I didn't love that one either, but it does feel of a similar sort of aesthetic. TV movie for the win because it's pretty much the only only one that looks like it might be a decent place to chill. The others look uncomfortable at best to stark and hospitally at worse.

I loved the TV movie Tardis. It's exactly what you'd picture a weird lonely old time traveller with a penchant for human history roaming around in. It's practically the only Tardis set that doesn't scream "HEY LOOK IT'S A NEW TARDIS SET"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I loved the TV movie Tardis. It's exactly what you'd picture a weird lonely old time traveller with a penchant for human history roaming around in. It's practically the only Tardis set that doesn't scream "HEY LOOK IT'S A NEW TARDIS SET"

I think the issue is that they spend all their time in that room. I know the Tardis is supposed to be big and have all sorts of amenities we don't see, but budget issues or whatever means whenever they are just hanging out shooting the poo poo, learning new things, or making important plans, they are doing it in this uncomfortable looking often cramped room. Even the best of the revival console rooms just look cramped for space, at least on a personal mobility level. Cat walks and metal railing does not make for a pleasant place to call home.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

I know the Tardis is supposed to be big and have all sorts of amenities we don't see, but budget issues or whatever means whenever they are just hanging out shooting the poo poo, learning new things, or making important plans, they are doing it in this uncomfortable looking often cramped room

They should go back to the TARDIS swimming pool.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"Wow look! Three suns!"
SHOW US THE SUNS

This one's on your attention skills, not the episode. The suns are shown right before that line.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So, really enjoyed the premiere but did not like this latest episode. It was definitely shot to be longer and then edited at a breakneck pace so the writing didn't hold up, but the cinematography this series might just turn bad episodes into watchable ones, at least.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s some really nice details in the room, but on the whole I’m not enamoured.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1052116369888727041

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I haven't watched a lot of Doctor Who (maybe a couple episodes from a random season) and just started watching this season but I was wondering why the aliens in this episode all looked human? Like no make up/prosthetic at all to make them a bit more alien. Is that normal for Doctor Who? The first ep had a very alien creature..

I really like the Doctor. She's funny, warm and just the right amount of subtle wacky without getting cringey.

I didn't care much for the interior of the Tardis. It looked like the inside of the evil villain's ship or something. Too cold and dark.