Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a D&D with rules rewritten to actually have consistent rulings across multiple different players and games would resemble 4e, or 3e if they're lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

a D&D with rules rewritten to actually have consistent rulings across multiple different players and games would resemble 4e, or 3e if they're lazy.

sadly, all this design team has going for them is infinite sloth. 3e is too much effort. they made 2 editions of it! And they even playtested it! And it had answers to common problems!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arivia posted:

Lol you presume they’re creative enough for that
"What if we put a dragon in the dungeons and dragons?" Is a great idea!

Alas, refer back to your quoted point.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Could we at least shoot for coherent editing?

"Here is your combat section entry on prone, with nothing but the movement applications of Prone. For the combat effects of Prone, please refer to the conditions section literally 100 pages later."

I mean, it's not like knowing about advantage and disadvantage is a big deal in 5th ed right? Better not mention that in the combat section.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 16, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Section Z posted:

"What if we put a dragon in the dungeons and dragons?" Is a great idea!

Alas, refer back to your quoted point.

Could we at least shoot for coherent editing?

"Here is your combat section entry on prone, with nothing but the movement applications of Prone. For the combat effects of Prone, please refer to the conditions section literally 100 pages later."

Which is an extra shame because in 5th ed, ranged attacks get advantage vs prone if you are shooting them execution style.

They do not, in fact, because while you get advantage from attacking a prone enemy within 5ft, you get disadvantage for using a ranged weapon while an enemy is within 5ft, so it cancels out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

They do not, in fact, because while you get advantage from attacking a prone enemy within 5ft, you get disadvantage for using a ranged weapon while an enemy is within 5ft, so it cancels out.
Thinking about it made me realize this sad fact, for a late edit :smith:

But at least it's still better than disadvantage :unsmith:

But I still means having to direct my friends to the back of the book for information that should have been listed in full in the "Here is the rules for prone" section :smith:

For all the rules issues. It's the "Oldschool means obtuse, right?" formatting that seems extra sad for some reason.

"Spell tables! Alphabetical order or gently caress off."

Oh my god, just categorize them by spell level. It will cut down 90% of level up time not sifting through the book or looking up an online spreadsheet.

"Alphabetical order. Or gently caress off."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 16, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

clusterfuck posted:

Is the newly advertised WotC game designer role linked to this development? Someone to come in, compartmentalize and take the fall if it goes to poo poo? Or more charitably, someone to develop a parallel version of 5e that can withstand a competitive environment.

I highly doubt this. This weird quasi esport thing will likely just be it's own thing.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

clusterfuck posted:

Is the newly advertised WotC game designer role linked to this development? Someone to come in, compartmentalize and take the fall if it goes to poo poo? Or more charitably, someone to develop a parallel version of 5e that can withstand a competitive environment.

I'm hoping they can compartmentalize these two different design objectives. Maybe it's leading into what they want 6e to be. Given the timing of the announcements it's most likely just a mess they are making up as they go along.

most likely they realize that their current production schedule isn't going to work with trying to produce a moba/esports thing. like how many meaningfully unique builds are you really going to get from the current D&D offerings?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Alphabetical order for spells makes looking them up at the table during play much quicker and easier.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Section Z posted:

Thinking about it made me realize this sad fact, for a late edit :smith:

But at least it's still better than disadvantage :unsmith:

But I still means having to direct my friends to the back of the book for information that should have been listed in full in the "Here is the rules for prone" section :smith:

For all the rules issues. It's the "Oldschool means obtuse, right?" formatting that seems extra sad for some reason.

"Spell tables! Alphabetical order or gently caress off."

Oh my god, just categorize them by spell level. It will cut down 90% of level up time not sifting through the book or looking up an online spreadsheet.

"Alphabetical order. Or gently caress off."

I haven't actually noticed it until now on account of not opening a physical PHB in ages, but considering spell lists from 3.5 had the good sense to include a short blurb with the spells by class by level tables, this is a huge and mindbogglingly stupid step backwards.

Edit:

Arivia posted:

Alphabetical order for spells makes looking them up at the table during play much quicker and easier.

Spells have always been organized this way for that exact reason, but it used to be they also gave you a quick, ten-words-or-less blurb next to each spell in your 1st Level Cleric Spell table or whatever, so we've gone backwards from a brief description to no description at all for the less-obviously named spells.

lightrook fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 16, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arivia posted:

Wouldn't this argument assume you have no idea what level the spell you are casting is in order to be the favorable formatting?

If you need to quickly look up your own spells during play, then you'd know what spell level they are anyways.

Sorted by spell level would mean maybe 2 seconds lost (if you want to be generous) looking up spells you are already trying to use during play. Compared to the much larger amount of time saved in "I want a new 3rd level spell. Oh hey, these are all 3rd level spells"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 16, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elfgames posted:

most likely they realize that their current production schedule isn't going to work with trying to produce a moba/esports thing. like how many meaningfully unique builds are you really going to get from the current D&D offerings?

Looking closer I don't think the Wizards D&D Team have much to do with this. D&D Beyond and Encounter Roleplay are the stated creators.

The D&D site and official twitter have not even mentioned it yet. So it's looking just like a licenced thing rather then an idea they had.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Both 3e and 5e list their spells in alphabetical order.

However, 3e does their class spell lists like this:

while 5e does their class spell lists like thiiiiiiiiiis:

Spell descriptions are also arguably a step backwards ...

... since you're losing the separate saving throw line, as well as being able to see which classes the spell belongs to

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I wish they actually would turn it into a video game. There hasn't been a CRPG that even made a token effort at faithful D&D rules since what, Temple of Elemental Evil?

I would love a faithful CRPG based on the current ruleset. The closest we had recently was Sword Coast Legends. But it kind of turned out Mediocre and did not actually follow any rule set.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Spell descriptions are also arguably a step backwards ...

... since you're losing the separate saving throw line, as well as being able to see which classes the spell belongs to
5e hiding the saves in the description block is such a pain in the rear end. I have no idea why they did away with the perfectly functional 3e headers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://twitter.com/NathanBStewart/status/1051936078670651392

Yeah it look like the quasi Espots thing is just something they licenced

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ryuujin posted:

Barbarian Unarmored Defense which is a really bad AC setup, and most Barbarians would probably just use Medium Armor.

The post you're quoting made me think that a 1-level dip into Barbarian might be OK, if you for some reason have your heart set on being naked, and playing a Rogue or Fighter (with max DEX and really high CON) but the MC rules necessitating a 13 STR just for the privilege makes it kind of a hard sell. And (again) probably not much better than the other armor options those classes would have at their disposal (although gaining prof with shields might be handy on a Rogue.)

I've been tinkering and crunching the numbers a bit and IMHO the Barbarian Unarmored Defense feature probably needs to be retooled to something like:
    AC: 12 + half your proficiency bonus (rounded up) + the higher of your DEX mod or CON mod

This way, at least the capstone feature is still somewhat useful, and allows the math to keep up with medium armor, even if you aren't bumping DEX or CON. It would also make barbarians less M.A.D. ( :haw: ) kinda opening up the design a little bit; you could put more in DEX if you want to be a little more skillful, or CON if you want to be tankier, and you're a little bit freer to sink points into a mental stat of your choice, instead of just heavily focusing on STR/DEX/CON.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://twitter.com/NathanBStewart/status/1051936078670651392

Yeah it look like the quasi Espots thing is just something they licenced

huh, fair enough. Probably not related then. I gotta say I will probably check this bullshit out just to see the horror show.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Last time in the Tomb of Annihilation campaign:
1) My character finds a ring on a corpse, she puts the ring in her backpack. Later she finds its a cursed ring that attracts dinosaurs.
2) We found a dainty nobleman tied to a tree, covered in honey getting eaten by insects. I saved him and he wanted to go back to the city. But we can't because...
3) We found the goblin village that we where tasked to destroy/liberate prisoners. However this is the mystical goblin city with the hosed up contraption and like dozens of goblins.
4) The wizard casted invisibility and druid cast spells that improve stealth rolls. So my character the rouge basically disables the hosed up village contraption and opens the cage the prisoners where held in.
5) I brilliantly threw the cursed ring in front of a goblin who then proceeded to stupidly put it on.
6) 30 minutes in game time later we heard massive footsteps approaching the camp.

Next week is gonna get wild.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

The post you're quoting made me think that a 1-level dip into Barbarian might be OK, if you for some reason have your heart set on being naked, and playing a Rogue or Fighter (with max DEX and really high CON) but the MC rules necessitating a 13 STR just for the privilege makes it kind of a hard sell. And (again) probably not much better than the other armor options those classes would have at their disposal (although gaining prof with shields might be handy on a Rogue.)

I've been tinkering and crunching the numbers a bit and IMHO the Barbarian Unarmored Defense feature probably needs to be retooled to something like:
    AC: 12 + half your proficiency bonus (rounded up) + the higher of your DEX mod or CON mod

This way, at least the capstone feature is still somewhat useful, and allows the math to keep up with medium armor, even if you aren't bumping DEX or CON. It would also make barbarians less M.A.D. ( :haw: ) kinda opening up the design a little bit; you could put more in DEX if you want to be a little more skillful, or CON if you want to be tankier, and you're a little bit freer to sink points into a mental stat of your choice, instead of just heavily focusing on STR/DEX/CON.
Or merge str and con.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

We created something that would make competitive gamers feel safe
What the gently caress does that even mean? Are cracked out Starcraft players hiding under their parents beds out of fear because of the basement dwelling cheeto people?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

gradenko_2000 posted:

I doubt even that. WotC customer service we’re doing the “there is no official answer, ask your DM” thing from day 1 on 4e and some of the standard questions were never resolved, like 90% of verticality related issues. I’m betting that none of the pregens for DndSports will have Fly..

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

FRINGE posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean? Are cracked out Starcraft players hiding under their parents beds out of fear because of the basement dwelling cheeto people?

It means the constant "RP purist, mechanics second" elitism of Stormwind Fallacy spewing types.

https://twitter.com/DnDSportsTV/status/1051843707492798464

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Stormwind Fallacy

I really don't get why a blowhard patting himself on the back for a boring unoriginal thought gets memorialized in rpg circles, even ironically

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really don't get why a blowhard patting himself on the back for a boring unoriginal thought gets memorialized in rpg circles, even ironically

the character optimization community is a very successful cargo cult in D&D circles, they contribute nothing and instead whine to shut out all other conversation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

its a useful shorthand for a concept

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Arivia posted:

the character optimization community is a very successful cargo cult in D&D circles, they contribute nothing and instead whine to shut out all other conversation

suboptimal characters have no place in the arena of blood

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

its a useful shorthand for a concept

But it's not a unique or original or unobvious idea. If some rear end in a top hat told me "you need to eat food to live" and wrote ten paragraphs about it and called it The Some rear end in a top hat Principle, I wouldn't bring it up when I'm hungry.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Splicer posted:

Or merge str and con.

[three posts later]
Just play Dungeon World.

Seriously, I've looked at reworking ability scores, but pulling on that thread unravels the whole sweater.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

But it's not a unique or original or unobvious idea. If some rear end in a top hat told me "you need to eat food to live" and wrote ten paragraphs about it and called it The Some rear end in a top hat Principle, I wouldn't bring it up when I'm hungry.
If a loud and obnoxious component of my cooking club kept telling me that eating is a sign of weakness and how it's possible to live on air and happy feelings I would certainly like to be able to say "Please see the Some rear end in a top hat Rebuttal" instead of having to launch into an extended explanation of the concept of nutrition every time.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Splicer posted:

If a loud and obnoxious component of my cooking club kept telling me that eating is a sign of weakness and how it's possible to live on air and happy feelings I would certainly like to be able to say "Please see the Some rear end in a top hat Rebuttal" instead of having to launch into an extended explanation of the concept of nutrition every time.

This. It's shorthand, nobody claimed that the Stormwind guy was a visionary who came up with the idea first or alone. Hell, most people think you're talking about World of Warcraft when you mention it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

[three posts later]
Just play Dungeon World.

Seriously, I've looked at reworking ability scores, but pulling on that thread unravels the whole sweater.
Does it though? Merge Str and Con, throw in a sixth Luck stat that's just the lucky feat in stat form, play 5e otherwise as written. Show me one part of the game that ends up worse.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I would love a faithful CRPG based on the current ruleset. The closest we had recently was Sword Coast Legends. But it kind of turned out Mediocre and did not actually follow any rule set.

There's a new (few weeks ago) Baldurs Gate style game, with a pretty faithful Pathfinder Rules implementation that's a take on the Kingmaker adventure path.

https://www.gog.com/game/pathfinder_kingmaker_explorer_edition

Haven't got around to it yet myself, as I've finally gotten around to playing the near-infinite in length Witcher 3 but it might scratch your itch.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Splicer posted:

Does it though? Merge Str and Con, throw in a sixth Luck stat that's just the lucky feat in stat form, play 5e otherwise as written. Show me one part of the game that ends up worse.

Step 2: You have to rebalance saves, both on spells and in terms of how prof is distributed on classes.

This also causes the weirdness of spellcasters suddenly being comparably STRong to most other strong characters, because presumably they'll prioritize some points in CON for their concentration checks... unless you decide to make concentration checks use a different ability or otherwise rework that math.

See what I mean?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Arivia posted:

:ironicat:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

P.d0t posted:

Step 2: You have to rebalance saves, both on spells and in terms of how prof is distributed on classes.

This also causes the weirdness of spellcasters suddenly being comparably STRong to most other strong characters, because presumably they'll prioritize some points in CON for their concentration checks... unless you decide to make concentration checks use a different ability or otherwise rework that math.

See what I mean?
Saves consider str/con to be a weak/strong pairing. Fighter and Barb have con + str saves, they get an additional save of either Cha or Int. Sorcerer has con + cha, still a weak/strong. Monk and Ranger get a "free" strong save out of this, but they suck anyway so not really a problem. Same with str/con races, shove their +1 into anything that's not dex or wis. Sounds scary, in practice it's not a problem.

Buff casters is no weirder than tuff casters. Yeah they get slightly better at athletics and escaping grapples but that's not going to break the game, and since str/con classes now get a whole extra good stat to splash wherever they're no entirely dependent on athleticsing to shine.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it's less worse.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Splicer posted:

Saves consider str/con to be a weak/strong pairing. Fighter and Barb have con + str saves, they get an additional save of either Cha or Int. Sorcerer has con + cha, still a weak/strong. Monk and Ranger get a "free" strong save out of this, but they suck anyway so not really a problem. Same with str/con races, shove their +1 into anything that's not dex or wis. Sounds scary, in practice it's not a problem.

Buff casters is no weirder than tuff casters. Yeah they get slightly better at athletics and escaping grapples but that's not going to break the game, and since str/con classes now get a whole extra good stat to splash wherever they're no entirely dependent on athleticsing to shine.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it's less worse.

A properly stated caster already has at least either STR 15 or DEX 14, so consolidation at best gives them a +1 to their athletics or acrobatics; it's a nothing.

The only noticeable impact is that it facilitates gishing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deptfordx posted:

There's a new (few weeks ago) Baldurs Gate style game, with a pretty faithful Pathfinder Rules implementation that's a take on the Kingmaker adventure path.

https://www.gog.com/game/pathfinder_kingmaker_explorer_edition

Haven't got around to it yet myself, as I've finally gotten around to playing the near-infinite in length Witcher 3 but it might scratch your itch.

Yeah I know about Pathfinder Kingmaker. I was talking about a game based on the current D&D system.

But you are right. Pathfinder Kingmaker is pretty close and I have been enjoying it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

5e would make a terrible (video)game imo

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The greatest tragedy of 4e is they never made a videogame out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nihilarian posted:

The greatest tragedy of 4e is they never made a videogame out of it

I'm pretty sure WoW is still very popular.