Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

wait is the beto campaign really spoofing the phone number to have the same first three digits

Yeah, probably the first 6 numbers. It says that somewhere in their guides. The number you call into to get on their system is in Tennessee.

I'm pretty sure spoofing numbers isn't illegal. It's the "your car warranty is out, you need to buy another one from us that we'll never honor" or "You need to pay us your student loan now we bought the debt" scams that are the illegal part.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Shear Modulus posted:

the big national media is full of brokebrained moron ivy league grads who grew up on aaron sorkin and think the signature of a good candidate is that everyone either hates them or they put everyone to sleep. they view with the utmost suspicion any candidate who campaigns on popular things or makes a point of appealing to the riffraff

It would partially explain the vast slew of first 6 digit calls I've gotten this month, but I kind of doubt it's -just- beto. I think literally every autodial rear end in a top hat is using it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
TED CRUZ

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have answered the first six digit calls a few times because I just picked up without looking and it has never been anything but a robocall scam. Sometimes they’re even Chinese for some reason.

Spoofing the number like that so more morons will pick up is the same line of thinking as the Texas Democrat emails titled “re: did you see this?” that get everyone with a fifth grade intellect to delete immediately but some consultant has data that says more people open/answer overall. Your metric went up but did you accomplish anything?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You're allowed to set the outgoing number to anything you have authority over. No different from all of the phones in an office having the front desk's number as the caller id.
If the dialler software is intelligent enough, it would be picking the local field office number so it appears local and if you call it back you talk to staff.
Fwiw, neither call I've gotten from Beto's campaign has matched even my area code.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I don't know about calls, but I have never received more texts in my life than I have from the Beto campaign.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The texts I've got from Beto were Texas area codes but never mine.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Betos ground game exists at the very least. He draws all the volunteers too. No idea what that operation is but I get calls and texts rarely frequently and am by no means your average voter. So he at least has the dollars and paid staff in field to try and access as many D folks as possible. I'm going to his event in San Antonio tomorrow. UTSA had a really large turnout of students for what I would expect there. There was a lot of enthusiasm that seems to be coming from new places in the electorate. Hopefully they vote come November

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Saw my (first?) Beto bumper sticker today. Apparently you can also buy bumper stickers that just say Hillary.

Beto... not good :???:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1051818328518463488

Lol gently caress Julian Castro

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Who would have thought that just waiting in the wings for the right moment is not actually a viable political strategy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But he wrote a book
https://twitter.com/SarabiaTX/status/1051820064826122241

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
No risk, no reward.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
If you don't put some skin in the game, you can't play.

Various other sports metaphors.

Tl;dr: gently caress 'em

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
lol beto eclipsed julian castro and all julian had to do was run for governor

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

even in texas I can't imagine how people justify voting for a nosferatu blob like ted cruz other than the stock standard "he's republican" like christ raise the bar a little bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvKZAPhOUU

October surprise

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
It's me, I'm the unlikely voter that will never be polled. The last time I voted was 2008.

Also, it's incredibly easy to spoof phone numbers when everything is VOIP these days.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I've got two levers I'm having trouble figuring out which to pull. One says "White Castle" and one says "dabbing".

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
energy spent engaging non-voters is energy not spent chasing mythical moderate Republicans!!!

- a Democrat strategist who hasn't won an election in three tries

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah pretty much. I'm ready to jettison the conservative democrats in Texas and just go full on LIBTARD

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think these feelings are strong and pervasive through the dem voter base and have only become moreso in the two years since 11/9 as the dem party elites have sat on their hands in the face of the baby jails and muslim ban and completely mishandle the drunken gang-rapist judge who says the constitution says the president is above the law. those same elites havent gotten any less out of touch after hillary's 2016 campaign of course

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Me the day after the general

Well more like this but later I was Chirguh about it.

So you know, go chapo go accelerationism, this is the worst case scenario so pretty much anything goes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I guess we'll have to wait another 2 years for that to manifest because that definitely didn't show up in this year's primaries, in Texas at least

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, nothing like the Tea Party in 2010.

e: but it seems like candidates were more willing to embrace progressive stances, whether that's in response to a more vocal, wider progressive base or they always wanted that stuff and losing to Trump kind of weakened the hierarchy's grasp on downballot, or a bit of both I guess we'll see

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 15, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

1stGear posted:

Who would have thought that just waiting in the wings for the right moment is not actually a viable political strategy
It's his turn

He even gave a speech at the convention!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

julian castro doing jack poo poo is actually extremely wise. he's building political capital and making sure to not put off moderate republicans

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Update on how Beto is bad:

he is using the money donated to his campaign for his campaign

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1052018816614576128

he is spending the money

https://twitter.com/MattMackowiak/status/1052020321618935809

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Badger of Basra posted:

Update on how Beto is bad:

he is using the money donated to his campaign for his campaign

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1052018816614576128

he is spending the money

https://twitter.com/MattMackowiak/status/1052020321618935809

selfish prick not shipping his money in trucks to Tom Perez so he can shovel it into Robby Mook's Moderate Republican Attraction Machine.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed that today I got my first Beto text

It begins

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shear Modulus posted:

he's building political capital

Is he, though?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Can't believe Beto O'Rourke is taking the money people wanted to give to Beto O'Rourke and not giving it to Tom Bredesden

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What kind of monster spends the money donated to their campaign on it, rather than give those donations to some other campaign that people did not want to give their money to?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Duh we are supposed to redistribute popularity as well as wealth.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

poll is meaningless, this is just a name recogization test at this point

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Typo posted:

poll is meaningless, this is just a name recogization test at this point

That's the point Castro should definitely have more but he doesn't.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I only vaguely know who Castro is and only because of this thread and I've lived in Texas literally my entire life

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

SirKibbles posted:

That's the point Castro should definitely have more but he doesn't.

ppl prob thought fidel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

I only vaguely know who Castro is and only because of this thread and I've lived in Texas literally my entire life

:same: