Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm playing through Arkham Knight again because I love it. I probably should post this in dragging games down thread but I actually laugh when this happens so it's going here instead.

When you're creeping around and need to get into a vent or whatever, Batman rips the cover off the vent. This thick steel, bolted to the wall/floor vent cover. I'm on board when he's behind one and has to kick/push it out with his feet but when he just rips it off with his hands it always gives me a chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He can also do it quietly enough that patrolling guards don't notice.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
That was a direct response to the button mashing they had in previous titles, AFAIK, although it does lead to another little thing - Batgirl, Batman, etc, all just rip the grates off, but Catwoman can't despite being the professional thief!

She even grumbles about it during the campaign at one point, saying she always forgets her screwdriver.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Safeword posted:

That was a direct response to the button mashing they had in previous titles, AFAIK, although it does lead to another little thing - Batgirl, Batman, etc, all just rip the grates off, but Catwoman can't despite being the professional thief!

She even grumbles about it during the campaign at one point, saying she always forgets her screwdriver.

She has razor sharp, diamond-hard claws or some poo poo. Just cut through the grate.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Did Arkham Knight Batgirl's move set have anything unique to it? I'm don't recall if she did. She's supposed to have more hacking skills, but Batman already had all those tools. She had no unique gadgets, and I don't remember unique moves.

Azrael was I think just Batman, but with harder predator challenges more focused on avoiding mistakes and using tools than performing certain tasks.

Red Hood was silly because he had the most powerful gadet of all: loving guns. Using them would fire a barrage that was supposed to leave you vulnerable, but you could cheese a lot of predator challenges by sitting on a gargoyle and shooting guys. The AI wasn't equipped to deal with it, and challenge objectives didn't disallow it too much. Also, medics could just revive guys you gunned down like they were e punched out.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Oct 16, 2018

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Batgirl's hacking was different in her mini campaign, but for the challenge battles she was just as powerful, just as quick and had just as many gadgets as the big guy.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr Christmas posted:

Did Arkham Knight Batgirl's move set have anything unique to it? I'm don't recall if she did. She's supposed to have more hacking skills, but Batman already had all those tools. She had no unique gadgets, and I don't remember unique moves.

Azrael was I think just Batman, but with harder predator challenges more focused on avoiding mistakes and using tools than performing certain tasks.

Red Hood was silly because he had the most powerful gadet of all: loving guns. Using them would fire a barrage that was supposed to leave you vulnerable, but you could cheese a lot of predator challenges by sitting on a gargoyle and shooting guys. The AI wasn't equipped to deal with it, and challenge objectives didn't disallow it too much. Also, medics could just revive guys you gunned down like they were e punched out.

The Azrael challenges are awesome because it's the only way in any of the Arkham games to play unlimited horde mode. The enemies don't stop spawning until you get hit.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm playing through Arkham Knight again because I love it. I probably should post this in dragging games down thread but I actually laugh when this happens so it's going here instead.

When you're creeping around and need to get into a vent or whatever, Batman rips the cover off the vent. This thick steel, bolted to the wall/floor vent cover. I'm on board when he's behind one and has to kick/push it out with his feet but when he just rips it off with his hands it always gives me a chuckle.

I always figured he was being helped by hydraulics in his suit or something. Robin does it too and it’s absurd.

haveblue posted:

He can also do it quietly enough that patrolling guards don't notice.

He can also kick a heavy vent cover out from high above and no one notices it fall.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

The Azrael challenges are awesome because it's the only way in any of the Arkham games to play unlimited horde mode. The enemies don't stop spawning until you get hit.

OG Arkham Asylum has a couple challenges in the PC version with infinite enemies, or at least until you drop your combo or something? I know the Joker is in one of them and you can beat his rear end and after that he stops commentating, which is a little thing in games in itself.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Lobok posted:

Arkham city had a DLC course that was an unlimited combat arena any character could do. Batman ended up being the best by far, as he was the only character of 4 that had a move to destroy enemy weapons. Everyone else ended up in a swarm of hundreds of enemies with hundreds of weapons that could club the hell out of you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ah ok, maybe my memory is faulty. I never played the PC version but I'm pretty sure I played the Arkham City DLC. Or at least some of it.

Either way, the Azrael challenges were great! Your combo could get absolutely astronomical.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

codenameFANGIO posted:

I always figured he was being helped by hydraulics in his suit or something. Robin does it too and it’s absurd.

He didn't have a powered suit in the other games tho

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
He’s got those little fingers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The entire Red Alert series doubling down on insanity and whimsy. It knows exactly what it is and has no shame.

Also the main theme is :black101:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

https://youtu.be/3yMy7JuGpJM

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

The entire Red Alert series doubling down on insanity and whimsy. It knows exactly what it is and has no shame.

Also the main theme is :black101:

Is that the one with Fat Tim Curry going "SPAAAAACE" and cracking up?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Queen Combat posted:

That's the third one. It also stars President JK Simmons and Emperor George Takei.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A cat just won the lotto in my game of Sims 4

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Queen Combat posted:

specifically announcing that he's going there because its the only place not corrupted by capitalism

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

quite stretched out posted:

specifically announcing that he's going there because its the only place not corrupted by capitalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Impossible to keep a straight face on the line.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Leal posted:

A cat just won the lotto in my game of Sims 4

Is your cat also the mayor or is that just their name.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jedrick posted:

Is your cat also the mayor or is that just their name.

They are one of the default stray cats in the game

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Mayor_Whiskers

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

That's the third one. It also stars President JK Simmons and Emperor George Takei.

Phoneposting so I can't find it, but there's an outtake reel of George Takei trying and failing to keep a straight face while saying "man-cannons".

In fact, everyone is trying their hardest not to laugh, the live action cutscenes were pure ham and cheese blasting out of my monitor and I loved every second of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

And then you go to Arkham City and he's bending pipes in half and crumpling car doors in half with a kick after punching through the glass. Like most human comic book characters Batman's a freak just like a bodybuilder on steroids is in the real world. Or a gorilla that benches cars every couple weeks.

codenameFANGIO posted:

He can also kick a heavy vent cover out from high above and no one notices it fall.

Developers are cowards and refuse to make games with realistic difficulty modes where things like eyesight make sense and people can hear you crawling around in the vents and also look up occasionally.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Don Gato posted:

Phoneposting so I can't find it, but there's an outtake reel of George Takei trying and failing to keep a straight face while saying "man-cannons".

In fact, everyone is trying their hardest not to laugh, the live action cutscenes were pure ham and cheese blasting out of my monitor and I loved every second of it.

Also phone posting and I don't know if it goes here anyway but I was playing the game and went into settings where I noticed the game was on low for everything.

It being 2018 and me playing on a real computer and not a lovely laptop barely running it I changed it to Ultra High.

:tviv: on the graphic quality

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So Assassin's Creed: Odyssey has leveled gear, where your gear gets worse the further from your enemy's level/your level it is. It also has armor sets that give bonuses when you wear them all together.

You get the pieces of these armor sets piecemeal, scattered across hours of playtime and many levels.

But, when you get the last piece of an armor set, every other piece is automatically leveled up to your current level while keeping any modifications you've put into them.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Polaron posted:

So Assassin's Creed: Odyssey has leveled gear,

This... Isn't the things ruining games thread.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Forza Horizon 4 is so god damned pretty. Man if you told me even 10 years ago what we'd be capable of with graphics, I would have laughed.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Antioch posted:

Forza Horizon 4 is so god damned pretty. Man if you told me even 10 years ago what we'd be capable of with graphics, I would have laughed.

The first time I saw Gran Turismo (1998) I figured this is it, nowhere to go since this is basically photorealistic. Yeah.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Safeword posted:

Socrates in AC Odyssey is a magnificent troll. He isn't presented as a humble wise man, mysteriously guiding you - he's presented as someone with Hot Takes and intentionally contradictory statements, just to drive you up the wall. Even the most polite responses to him are delivered with gritted teeth.

Given that eventually the Athenians got sufficiently fed up with his poo poo that they voted to have him killed, this may be the most historically-accurate depiction of Socrates yet.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

RareAcumen posted:

Developers are cowards and refuse to make games with realistic difficulty modes where things like eyesight make sense and people can hear you crawling around in the vents and also look up occasionally.

Probably because something like 'looking up' can just be an eye movement, which isn't obvious to a player. People would call it bullshit and get mad.

The Batman examples are pretty funny though, I could imagine a henchman going 'Wow that's like the third time that vent covering has fallen out today!' and just going about their business.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Veib posted:

The first time I saw Gran Turismo (1998) I figured this is it, nowhere to go since this is basically photorealistic. Yeah.

Can you believe it! A real screenshot!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Antioch posted:

It really is kinda beautiful and whoever's idea was it to have the seasons change should be getting a raise. The game's constantly changing scenery assures that the game doesn't look stale.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Queen Combat posted:

This... Isn't the things ruining games thread.

I tend to not like that either but the game throws so much gear at you that it isn't really an issue.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
In Monster Hunter, you can get drunk before a quest and get a great stumble animation that ends with you hitting the floor.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I seem to recall the intent with HR was that you'd get additional experience with stealth because you needed additional experience when going stealthy; while it's relatively easy to pop up and shoot some dudes in the face, there's more skills that inform your ability to sneak around, thus more stuff to spend EXP on. This predictably runs into trouble with many gamers' need to maximize their advantages.

Similarly, the Typhoon was built as a get-out-of-jail-free card for hard combats, with the idea being that if you weren't playing the game for combat, then you could just use the Typhoon to make it go away. It's kind of an unsatisfying solution to that problem though, compared to DX1, which lets you subvert a lot of fights through situation-specific planning and cleverness instead.

For example, you can get a killphrase for one of the bosses by doing some extra legwork in preceding missions. And there's another boss that normally confronts you at a set point, but you can just find chilling out on a different map earlier; if you sneak up and ice them there then of course they aren't around to give you trouble later.

Then again, the fact that DXHR has recognizable boss fights is kind of a problem to begin with.

They tried to get things a little bit back to how they were in DX1 for Mankind Divided. Like how you could get around the final fight by finding Marchenko's kill switch.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

It really is kinda beautiful and whoever's idea was it to have the seasons change should be getting a raise. The game's constantly changing scenery assures that the game doesn't look stale.

every season looks dramatically different too and it's just really pleasant to drive around in. everything about fh4 is a Little Thing and i usually don't care at all for driving games but i'm having a blast with this one

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been playing La-Mulana 2, and some of the traps are really rather impressive. There's a room with a bat flying around that's likely to knock you out of your jump, sending you down to a lower room. And in that lower room is a single tile of spikes, placed where you're most likely to land. The spikes in turn bounce you to a third lower room, which has a slope that slides you down to a fourth room and onto more spikes. So basically a single mistake takes you on a miniature tour of pain.

I appreciate that attention to detail.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

And then you go to Arkham City and he's bending pipes in half and crumpling car doors in half with a kick after punching through the glass. Like most human comic book characters Batman's a freak just like a bodybuilder on steroids is in the real world. Or a gorilla that benches cars every couple weeks.
It's never made any sense as a design. He's Batman. He should be fast and agile and acrobatic, not a big meat hulk. The only superhero who should be built like a triangle is Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's never made any sense as a design. He's Batman. He should be fast and agile and acrobatic, not a big meat hulk. The only superhero who should be built like a triangle is Superman.

I don't think you can build Triangle Man any other way