Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Glad to see catastrophic tire failure isn't a thing that can happen without warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

spog posted:

Thank you.

But where did the feathers come from?

Yeah, I don't think those aren't feathers - they fall way too quickly. I also think some foam fix poo poo or something in the tire.

Dude is lucky as hell.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I was thinking snow, but the rest of the environment doesn’t really look very wintery.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

slidebite posted:

Yeah, I don't think those aren't feathers - they fall way too quickly. I also think some foam fix poo poo or something in the tire.

Dude is lucky as hell.

I think it's foam that was under the fender which is blown off when the tire goes. Maybe some sound deadening material?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

-Zydeco- posted:

I think it's foam that was under the fender which is blown off when the tire goes. Maybe some sound deadening material?

My first thought was an earlier fix-a-flat attempt on that tire? Granted I have never seen what the inside of a tire looks like after using that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://twitter.com/AlexVarga_/status/1051898094428844033

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I'm guessing he was using one of the newer digital tyre inflators which have a "flat tyre" option where they just squirt in high pressure air to quickly inflate a flat. Then you're supposed to switch to the digital pressure settings because otherwise it will keep trying to force air in there forever and will give you a very bad day.

Speaking of, they have warnings on them which, naturally no one ever reads:

I have twice seen a kid with a push bike and a tradie with a trolley have their tyres just loving explode like that because they used the flat tyre option. Made one hell of a noise.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Must be something in the water with going the wrong way. Hell we've had several in the past month. Blows my mind.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Oh my God, honey, they say there's a wrong-way driver on your highway!"

"Just one? I see hundreds of 'em!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

These stories always reminds me of the "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" scene.

He's drunk, how does he know where we are going?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16985844.m40-three-people-died-in-caravan-crash/

quote:

Police were called shortly before 4pm after receiving reports that a Subaru Forester towing a caravan was travelling in the wrong direction on the northbound carriageway of the motorway.
It struck two other cars, a Ford Mondeo and a Ford Focus.

The driver and a passenger of the Subaru, both aged in their eighties, and the driver of the Ford Mondeo, a man in his thirties, died

:smith:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah. hosed up.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Mandatory re-testing over 65 please.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like the DMV needs more responsibility.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Mandatory re-testing over 65 please.

Whew, good thing my license is valid until I'm 70.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Mandatory re-testing every 5 years please.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
literal empty quote

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

um excuse me posted:

Like the DMV needs more responsibility.

Tell your state to get its' poo poo together I guess. The MVA near me works pretty efficiently. One thing the employees don't do is get innocent people murdered so in terms of government efficiency I'll take that over "I trust the citizens to do what's best for everyone."

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Touché. I recently had to register a car in which I had no idea what I was doing. I googled what I needed and the DMV site told me what to bring. Seemed easy enough. Turns out proof of insurance doesn't include your signed policy and your town won't actually tell you when you have late property taxes on your car and that they flagged your account with the DMV (that should narrow down which state it is quite a bit). The DMV also would not accept proof of insurance via phone so I had to get it emailed in which the DMV kept losing. I had to get in line at the DMV three times as a result and I actually looked up what I needed. Turns out it doesn't matter how much you prepare when the system is set up to fail.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

This week seems to be the week of poo poo on the roads. Yesterday you had this sad incident, and today...
  • Another serious crash on the same motorway involving a car and a lorry which closed the road for several hours and left a woman fighting for her life in hospital.
  • A crash on the M25 not long after midnight involving 2 cars and a lorry, which left the M25 shut anti-clockwise between junctions 28 and 27 for 10 hours and one man dead.
  • A crash on the A12 westbound in the Greater London area which basically hosed the road for hours.
  • A crash on the A13 westbound in the Greater London area which also hosed the road for hours.
  • On the A13 eastbound near Basildon a lorry carrying a large metal load smashed through the central reservation and overturned, leaving the road shut both ways just after 9am. Its now 10pm here and the westbound carriageway is still closed.
  • The usual tailbacks over the Dartford Crossing onto the A2 and the fender benders that often go with it.

I also got to personally experience over the last couple of days:
  • As I was crossing a roundabout, a car that I had earlier passed that was doing about 35 in a 50mph zone on the M25 came onto the roundabout behind me in the wrong lane for his desired exit, ran a red light, and nearly smashed into me.
  • A big van racing down the A13 eastbound easily in excess of 70mph who promptly slammed his brakes on before each speed camera before taking off again and repeating the exercise for every camera he encountered. Unfortunately these are active average speed cameras and the whole stretch of road is 50mph. Always makes me chuckle.

Our deliveries that we were sending out this morning were taking in excess of 2 hours to do journeys that should usually take around 30-40 minutes. Madness.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks to an extended roadwork speed limit I’ve had multiple near misses in my first three days back after a couple of weeks holiday. They’re upgrading one of the main motorways in Sydney to be a smart motorway but as they extend the project the speed reductions have increased. Instead of being able to do 110 km/h it’s now 80km/h for nearly the entire length of it which doesn’t please some people. A lot of the near misses I’ve had are people doing the original speed limit while zipping between lanes to get around the people doing the correct thing cause speeding fines in Aus a) cost a poo poo load of money and b) they can lead to a very quick loss of license. The problem with the people darting between lanes is they end up forcing everyone else to move out of their way as they don’t plan ahead and head into almost non existent gaps in the other lanes. If they aren’t going to collect the front of your car they come close to ramming you from behind at a rate of knots.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This week seems to be the week of poo poo on the roads. Yesterday you had this sad incident, and today...
  • Another serious crash on the same motorway involving a car and a lorry which closed the road for several hours and left a woman fighting for her life in hospital.
  • A crash on the M25 not long after midnight involving 2 cars and a lorry, which left the M25 shut anti-clockwise between junctions 28 and 27 for 10 hours and one man dead.
  • A crash on the A12 westbound in the Greater London area which basically hosed the road for hours.
  • A crash on the A13 westbound in the Greater London area which also hosed the road for hours.
  • On the A13 eastbound near Basildon a lorry carrying a large metal load smashed through the central reservation and overturned, leaving the road shut both ways just after 9am. Its now 10pm here and the westbound carriageway is still closed.
  • The usual tailbacks over the Dartford Crossing onto the A2 and the fender benders that often go with it.

It really seems like they close roads for ridiculous periods of time for accidents in the UK. The only times I've seen a highway actually closed for an accident in the US were:

1) a massive 30+ car pileup due to ice closed the highway for several hours until they could drag enough cars out of the way to get traffic by.

2) a dumptruck on fire in the middle lane closed a highway for about 2 hours until they could put it out and clear the lanes.

Recently I saw a truck jackknifed across both lanes of I90 in western Mass, and they didn't shut the road down, just routed traffic around it in the breakdown lane until they could get it moved.

Basically the only way highways get closed around here is if traffic physically can't fit through.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

It really seems like they close roads for ridiculous periods of time for accidents in the UK. The only times I've seen a highway actually closed for an accident in the US were:

1) a massive 30+ car pileup due to ice closed the highway for several hours until they could drag enough cars out of the way to get traffic by.

2) a dumptruck on fire in the middle lane closed a highway for about 2 hours until they could put it out and clear the lanes.

Recently I saw a truck jackknifed across both lanes of I90 in western Mass, and they didn't shut the road down, just routed traffic around it in the breakdown lane until they could get it moved.

Basically the only way highways get closed around here is if traffic physically can't fit through.

Road is always closed if someone dies in the accident so that they can investigate the circumstances more thoroughly. So if you ever find a road is closed for a while after an accident that unfortunately means it's likely someone died, it might be annoying but someone had a worse day.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I got delayed for a couple hours this summer where a good 2-3 mile stretch of I29 was closed due to a tanker truck leaking some sort of hazardous material. Hazmat crews had to inspect and clean the whole thing before they let anyone through. I think it was closed a good 12 hours or so in total, but by that time I'd gone a different way.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Outside of a live incident (i.e. someone threatening to jump off a bridge) theres generally three situations that cause the roads to be closed for an extended length of time.

Ebola Dog hit the nail on the head for the first one, if anyone dies (or sometimes if someone has suffered life threatening/changing injuries) the road is closed for as long as it takes forensics to do their thing.

The second one is when theres a particularly nasty spill or shed load that takes ages to clean up and said substance is a danger to anyone travelling along that road.

As for the last one, all motorways and most dual carriageways have a twin armco barrier separating both carriageways known as the central reservation. If it is damaged, the road will not be open again until it is repaired. In the case I mentioned yesterday with the A13 being shut for well over 12 hours, this is because a lorry actually completely destroyed the central reservation, meaning it was going to take quite a long time to get the road back in order.

It sucks, but if any of us were to lose a loved on in a road traffic incident we'd want to know drat well what happened.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
If we shut down the whole highway every time there was a fatal accident in the US I'd never get to work.

:deathrace2000: :killing:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Redundant central barriers? Must be nice to have so few highways to maintain, you don't see that poo poo in the US.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

Redundant central barriers? Must be nice to have so few highways to maintain, you don't see that poo poo in the US.

Most of these countries have fewer road miles than New York City.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ausgezeichnet posted:

If we shut down the whole highway every time there was a fatal accident in the US I'd never get to work.

:deathrace2000: :killing:

That's why we like CUVs. They can drive over flaming corpses so we can be the most productive country on earth.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's why we like CUVs. They can drive over flaming corpses so we can be the most productive country on earth.

Brodozers are lifted to high so they can drive over the wrecks like Gravedigger

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

These are the cops you share the road with:

Scared the poo poo out of me for a second until I realized he was an NJ State Park Police :haw:

If it's not clear he weaves through the center lane into the fast lane at the end. Not pictured: him tailgating the poo poo out of the car in front of him for a good 10 seconds.

No lights at any point, btw.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's probably tough being a cop on the road if you want to get anywhere. Everyone on the horizon slows down to 10 under when you're nearby.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nah as soon as I realized he wasn't a real cop I maintained speed, I'm doing like 65-70 there so he had to have hit 85+. (It's a 55 road)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

These are the cops you share the road with:

Scared the poo poo out of me for a second until I realized he was an NJ State Park Police :haw:

If it's not clear he weaves through the center lane into the fast lane at the end. Not pictured: him tailgating the poo poo out of the car in front of him for a good 10 seconds.

No lights at any point, btw.

good lord, dude, use the gifv version

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Nah as soon as I realized he wasn't a real cop I maintained speed, I'm doing like 65-70 there so he had to have hit 85+. (It's a 55 road)

Yeah, but most of the people on the road are idiots and still go 10 under whenever a Crown Vic is nearby, despite there only being like 30 Crown Vics still in active duty nationwide.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, but most of the people on the road are idiots and still go 10 under whenever a Crown Vic is nearby, despite there only being like 30 Crown Vics still in active duty nationwide.

I dunno about where you live, but here they bought a whole bunch of crown vic's before they were cancelled and stored them, so we have low mile cop cvs still rolling.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

A fact I used to great advantage when I had a company car that was an old MA State Trooper bought at auction :haw:

VVVVV up here the vast majority are Ford Explorers, Dodge Chargers or some Ford sedan, maybe the SHO Taurus or whatever?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 18, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

I dunno about where you live, but here they bought a whole bunch of crown vic's before they were cancelled and stored them, so we have low mile cop cvs still rolling.

Here in the rust belt most of the CVPIs have been replaced with Explorers or Dodge Chargers.

You might still see them occasionally with a rural county sheriff's department or a big city PD but they've all but disappeared in the last ~5 years.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 18, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was driving between Madison and Rockford a couple months ago, it's 45 miles of construction right now and the whole stretch is set at 55 mph.

Got stuck in line behind a state trooper who parked his cruise control at 54 mph for 30 miles. :argh:

Dude must have really enjoyed the line of headlights backed up behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

Brodozers are lifted to high so they can drive over the wrecks like Gravedigger

And then teabag with the truck nuts on the way out. The American way.