Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

By definition, he does not.

That's my whole point!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

As for slavery being unprofitable in the long term, it depends how you count the profits. The Ferengi system obviously, by default, did not consider the loss of female labor to be uneconomic.

The people were willing to overlook it, just refuse to consider it, because it obviously WAS unprofitable, as Moogie, Zek, and Rom showed at the end of DS9.

We tend to forget that Ferengi capitalism wasn't just an economic system but the state religion, and the subjugation of :females: was merely a higher tenet than profit at all costs even if no one explicitly said so on screen

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there a game that lets you explore the Enterprise D or Deep Space Nine the way Elite Force lets you explore voyager? Because it'd be super cool to have that for a ship and crew I actually give a poo poo about.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LividLiquid posted:

Is there a game that lets you explore the Enterprise D or Deep Space Nine the way Elite Force lets you explore voyager? Because it'd be super cool to have that for a ship and crew I actually give a poo poo about.

There was a fan project underway called Stage 9 and then CBS got all peepants about it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

LividLiquid posted:

They just redid DS9 in Star Trek Online :shrug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Stage 9! Oh.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I always skipped The Dauphin, but i though I'd give it a whirl.

The first 20 minutes are amazing. An old lady who is Madchen Amick for like two seconds and then is also a screeching death Furby! Worf's Mating Roar! Riker picking up Guinan!

then it slides off a cliff so loving hard oh my god turn left wesley noooooooo

i was right, gently caress this episode. watch the first 20 minutes and then skip the rest unless you want to get the urge to violently drown a young wil wheaton in chocolate pudding.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i was right, gently caress this episode. watch the first 20 minutes and then skip the rest unless you want to get the urge to violently drown a young wil wheaton in chocolate pudding.

that's orange county foreplay

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Pick posted:

that's orange county foreplay

i was gonna say "a party at bryan singer's house"

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

LividLiquid posted:

You can explore a little bit of DS9 and the Defiant in The Fallen, plus that game has a pretty sweet level on a crashed Miranda-class ship.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There was a fan project underway called Stage 9 and then CBS got all peepants about it.

I know this is probably :filez: but is there somewhere to get old versions of this?

I just want to walk around the Enterprise-D and enjoy your dumb nerd franchise, CBS. :argh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I know this is probably :filez: but is there somewhere to get old versions of this?

I just want to walk around the Enterprise-D and enjoy your dumb nerd franchise, CBS. :argh:

Look up the website address on archive.org.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Look up the website address on archive.org.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I have a question about the Weyouns in DS9. They're all clones but how do they transfer the new memories and experiences that the previous Weyoun makes into the fresh Weyoun? After a Weyoun dies the next Weyoun will talk and reference things the previous Weyoun did or talked about with other people as if he were the previous Weyoun. Do they explain this? I may have missed it or am too dumb to see the obvious.

By the way the guy who plays Weyoun is the absolute best. What a joy to watch.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They never explain it. The Vorta cloning process was created specifically so they could get Jeff Combs to play the same dude a bunch of times without having to worry about killing him off. I guess you could think of it as the Founders having a little jar with Weyoun’s soul in it which they parcel out to each individual clone, or else they indoctrinate each clone with an idea of Weyounness or something. The Weyouns’ personalities aren’t quite identical though it’s hard to say whether that’s because his character is developing over time or because each one is in fact different in some substantive way. There’s really quite a lot more they could have done with Weyoun, it’s a fun character concept for sure but (as with Dax which is a kind of similar concept) they never really wanted to explore it too deeply.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was literally so they could bring Jeffrey combs back because he's cool and fun . It was a good decision .

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bet Worf knows how it works, maybe you should talk to Worf again.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One of my favorite moments

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want DIS to create increasingly lazy ways of roping in Jeffery Combs

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

I want DIS to create increasingly lazy ways of roping in Jeffery Combs

I don't play it but my understanding is that Star Trek Online basically did this

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's apparently a book where a weyoun clone becomes the bajoran kai because man those books dont give a poo poo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DuhSal posted:

I have a question about the Weyouns in DS9. They're all clones but how do they transfer the new memories and experiences that the previous Weyoun makes into the fresh Weyoun? After a Weyoun dies the next Weyoun will talk and reference things the previous Weyoun did or talked about with other people as if he were the previous Weyoun. Do they explain this? I may have missed it or am too dumb to see the obvious.

By the way the guy who plays Weyoun is the absolute best. What a joy to watch.

The Weyoun clones are raised in Venture Brother style learning beds but instead of learning a high school curriculum, all the content is about the previous Weyoun's life, including a live feed of the events leading up to his death.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
STO brought back a lot of Star Trek actors. Basically everyone but the main TNG crew. It is F2P but it doesn't hurt you if you don't pay. It's old as poo poo now, but it gets updates regularly and they just added a bunch of Discovery stuff (with Tilly's voice actress) and new facial animations.

Ground combat is a joke but Space combat is surprisingly fun at times.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

The Weyoun clones are raised in Venture Brother style learning beds but instead of learning a high school curriculum, all the content is about the previous Weyoun's life, including a live feed of the events leading up to his death.

I want this

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

skasion posted:

They never explain it. The Vorta cloning process was created specifically so they could get Jeff Combs to play the same dude a bunch of times without having to worry about killing him off. I guess you could think of it as the Founders having a little jar with Weyoun’s soul in it which they parcel out to each individual clone, or else they indoctrinate each clone with an idea of Weyounness or something. The Weyouns’ personalities aren’t quite identical though it’s hard to say whether that’s because his character is developing over time or because each one is in fact different in some substantive way. There’s really quite a lot more they could have done with Weyoun, it’s a fun character concept for sure but (as with Dax which is a kind of similar concept) they never really wanted to explore it too deeply.

During one of the finale episodes I think the main Founder, in response to the Vorta scientists not being able to create a cure for the disease they were infected with, told Weyoun to have all the data backed-up, the current scientists executed, and to activate their clones for a "new perspective." Considering what we're shown of their genetic manipulation it seems plausible they have a baseline personality and traits but with new experiences leading to a new-ish person.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

I want this

*Overly cheery Founder voice* "The previous Weyoun served the Founders with distinction! You shall do the same!"

*clip plays of Weyoun getting his neck snapped by Worf*

"Now there's an example of a Wrong Weyoun! You don't want to be a Wrong Weyoun, now do you?"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Considering the one Weyoun went way off message, I think they're all different people even if they're grown from a common stock. So less cloning in the photocopy way and more in the identical twin way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WampaLord posted:

*Overly cheery Founder voice* "The previous Weyoun served the Founders with distinction! You shall do the same!"

*clip plays of Weyoun getting his neck snapped by Worf*

"Now there's an example of a Wrong Weyoun! You don't want to be a Wrong Weyoun, now do you?"

Goofus and Gammaquadrant.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WampaLord posted:

That pretty much has to be how it works, the post-Worfed clone shows up while his predecessor's body is still cooling so they must have some kind of :techno: fast learning machine to get fresh Vorta up to speed and ready to pick up where the last clone left off.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean back in TOS they got Uhura from functional infant to exactly how she was before in like a week so by the 24th century with a species that's been genetically engineered to be easily cloneable I've gotta assume that a few hours to get it mostly right is trivial.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Only a 12.5% error rate!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

DuhSal posted:

Remember that old rpg named Paranoia? Where if you die your clone just sort of shows up but with a different number after his name?

Like that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I wonder if the Vorta are so blasé as a mechanic to keep the traumas of repeated violent deaths from destroying their minds. Perhaps early strains of Vorta were very broken after a death or two, and thus were engineered to not really give a huge poo poo about anything outside of work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Paging Jeff bezos lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thank you Jeff Bezos. You truly are the son of God!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cessna posted:

Remember that old rpg named Paranoia? Where if you die your clone just sort of shows up but with a different number after his name?

Like that.

Old? OLD?! I'll have you know I just ran a game over the weekend!

When it's always the Year 214 of Our Computer, you can never grow old, Citizen.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tighclops posted:

I don't play it but my understanding is that Star Trek Online basically did this

Star Trek Online had a storyline about quantum original Harry Kim, they are madmen

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Multiplicity except it's 4 increasingly dumb carbon-copied Weyouns

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

corn in the bible posted:

Star Trek Online had a storyline about quantum original Harry Kim, they are madmen

And later in the admiralty system you get the quantum duplicate Harry Kim and his ship as a minion to boss around. It's a good minion, too. :v:

And yes, STO did invent a STD-era descendant of Shran also played by Jeffrey Combs, who gets tossed forward into the 25th century with you as an STD captain.

https://i.imgur.com/UI61xuh.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Multiplicity except it's 4 increasingly dumb carbon-copied Weyouns

Like dubbing a video cassette over and over. Weyoun 27 staggers into the room, drooling on himself and sobbing at random.