Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

spog posted:

I think my fuel pump is on the way out.

Schraeder valve on the fuel rail, so will one of these work okay?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-Vacuum-Tester-Carburetor-Pressure/dp/B075TYJ4WZ/ref=lp_5136313031_1_9

I can't tell if there's a Schrader valve adapter or not. I see some that would work for fittings, and I can't find anything on the tool elsewhere. Not sure about Amazon in the UK, but in the USA they are pretty lax with their returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nitsuga posted:

I can't tell if there's a Schrader valve adapter or not. I see some that would work for fittings, and I can't find anything on the tool elsewhere. Not sure about Amazon in the UK, but in the USA they are pretty lax with their returns.

I don't think so, assuming it has the same stuff in the box as the HF version.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nitsuga posted:

Raluek posted:

You know, that never even crossed my mind that it didn't have the right adaptors.
A Saab is/was a mainstream car and it's just a pressure valve, so why wouldn't suitable adaptors be included in any tool set?

Thanks.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

spog posted:

I think my fuel pump is on the way out.

Schraeder valve on the fuel rail, so will one of these work okay?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-Vacuum-Tester-Carburetor-Pressure/dp/B075TYJ4WZ/ref=lp_5136313031_1_9

You can also do like I did and jam a screwdriver in the end of the valve. It won’t tell you an exact pressure but will tell you if there is SOME pressure. Wear goggles and don’t put your face in the way please.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slothrop posted:

You can also do like I did and jam a screwdriver in the end of the valve. It won’t tell you an exact pressure but will tell you if there is SOME pressure. Wear goggles and don’t put your face in the way please.

The bloody annoying thing is that my car is an LPG conversion and so it only runs on petrol until the temp gauge moves, then it switches to gas and the tank pump is redundant anyway.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

spog posted:

The bloody annoying thing is that my car is an LPG conversion and so it only runs on petrol until the temp gauge moves, then it switches to gas and the tank pump is redundant anyway.

Oh that sounds fun to troubleshoot. Pretend I posted that gif of Zach Galfinikis doing algebra

spog
Aug 7, 2004

slothrop posted:

Oh that sounds fun to troubleshoot. Pretend I posted that gif of Zach Galfinikis doing algebra

I am hoping that this is actually not too difficult to pin down since it seems to be just the standard petrol stuff that is at fault.

To diagnose an LPG issue required me to buy a cable from Bulgaria and pirated Italian diagnostic software translated in English via Russian.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

So, I have the OTC stinger trashheap like everyone else and would really like to hate my life less. Needs to work under a car, otherwise I'd definitely pick up the Eastwood/K Tool/etc benchmount.

Cheaper inline that's different than the garbage inlines I've used before. Actually seems sort of nice, especially if I can rattle in the dies gently with a 3/8 impact
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4RC2YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_YtpUBbYHEXVSY

K Tool (hydraulic? I can't find any real information on this thing)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3YJ2GI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_KopUBbK28CZ9Y

The king poo poo portable hydraulic Mastercool. There's a slightly cheaper version that doesn't do the larger trans lines
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WD86RLH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_XvpUBbXQZTZFK

I haven't used any of these and I don't really know which one I want. Am I missing any not-garbage options? I really only ever use 3/16 line.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
SPECIAL PUNCH GREASE

do not eat

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Raluek posted:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht713-fuel-injection-testing-kit-tes/

Looks like I'll have to pay more if I want anything usable.

slothrop posted:

Car cold-started perfectly for 2 days running, then a bit hesitant today. I think I'm going to need to take some readings to build a history before I take it to a garage.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Been looking at lifts for awhile now. Was considering a four post but I'm not sure I can make it work in my three car garage setup with all the kid crap and everything else.

Primary uses are to get the vehicle up so I can service it easier, brakes, struts, etc. Was considering a four poster on wheels but servicing vehicles doesn't look fun.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Do you need/want to be able to stand underneath the vehicle, or would something like a QuickJack work?

burns_2k
Oct 17, 2012

Hypnolobster posted:

Cheaper inline that's different than the garbage inlines I've used before. Actually seems sort of nice, especially if I can rattle in the dies gently with a 3/8 impact
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4RC2YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_YtpUBbYHEXVSY
I have a couple of these in different sizes and I've not had any problems with them. They're pretty compact which is good when you're upside down under the car. I've nothing to compare them to though.

Want to eat the punch grease :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
A four post lift won't work well for shocks, suspension stuff, etc. since you usually need to lift and unload the suspension to work on it too.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Geoj posted:

Do you need/want to be able to stand underneath the vehicle, or would something like a QuickJack work?

That or the max jack

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Has anyone here used/owned a QuickJack? Was it worth it (kind of a buy once cry once thing)?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slidebite's got one and seems to like it. They look really convenient and particularly useful in cars with full plastic underbody cladding and only 4 small jack points that double as the lift points. Porsche :argh:

Personally been thinking of picking one up but haven't committed yet.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

nitsuga posted:

Has anyone here used/owned a QuickJack? Was it worth it (kind of a buy once cry once thing)?

I have the smallest one, 3500lb? because the next step up wouldn’t fit between the wheels of my MG.

Now I like the concept, but rarely even use it on the MG so I wish I had one strong enough to lift a modern car. 3500lb isn’t even enough for a Mazda3.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Good point! The 3500lb would probably work (Honda Fit and a Honda Civic), but the 5000lb isn’t that much more.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Always get a chuckle when I get a flyer HF ad. $100 million tool disposal notice.

Not sure if that is what they are selling or how much has ended up in landfills in the past few weeks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

nitsuga posted:

Yeah, like Bajaha says I've got one (5000SLX) and I like it. I especially like that it's so thin/narrow I can just leave them on the floor all the time and just slide them around into place when I need to use them. I wish they had the ability to go a bit higher, but for everything but dropping my motor they are more than high enough. I was told by someone they are high enough to drop a motor in a 911 but I don't think it is. They are not super lightweight though. The photos/ads show a guy easily carrying them around like nothing, but I'd say each jack weighs around 80-100lbs. If they were aluminum they'd be cats rear end... but probably also 2x the price. The hoses can be a little clunky and get in the way but not a ton you can do about that with these spaghetti hydaulic hoses. I might build a couple myself out of more flexible hose though.

Costco sometimes has them for a good deal.

e: Also keep in mind the measurements for the lifting points on the cars you plan to lift. Works perfect on the 996, but I would prefer it to be a couple inches longer on the Legacy. I still used them though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 9, 2018

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Do those jacks have any kind of mechanical lock? That would scare the crap out of me if not--if that has a catastrophic failure or loss of pressure... yikes. My friend's two post lift has a nice interlock that makes a reassuring *THONK* *THONK* *THONK* as you raise it up and the interlock grabs solid metal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yes. As a matter of fact, the method you are supposed to use them is jack it up, let the lock catch, and then release the hydraulic pressure so lockbar is what's doing the holding.

Circled for you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Sears decided to give me another $25 so I got a nice pair of Knipex needle nose pliers for shipping cost. It came in a box large enough for wine despite being smaller than my hand.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We don't have Sears anymore here in :canada: but it still feels weird seeing Craftsman at Lowes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Sears decided to give me another $25 so I got a nice pair of Knipex needle nose pliers for shipping cost. It came in a box large enough for wine despite being smaller than my hand.

Yeah, our Sears closed in around a metro area of 300K+ or so. They keep tossing the funny money at me. You did good picking up a pair of pliers.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sears can't even get my name correct in half of the emails I get from them anymore.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Terrible Robot posted:

Sears can't even get my name correct in half of the emails I get from them anymore.

At this point, I've blocked their emails. It's always a hassle getting them to actually honor the free funbucks, and my local store takes like 45 minutes to find anything that's shipped to them. I'll troll Amazon Warehouse Deals instead.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

slidebite posted:

Yeah, like Bajaha says I've got one (5000SLX) and I like it. I especially like that it's so thin/narrow I can just leave them on the floor all the time and just slide them around into place when I need to use them. I wish they had the ability to go a bit higher, but for everything but dropping my motor they are more than high enough. I was told by someone they are high enough to drop a motor in a 911 but I don't think it is. They are not super lightweight though. The photos/ads show a guy easily carrying them around like nothing, but I'd say each jack weighs around 80-100lbs. If they were aluminum they'd be cats rear end... but probably also 2x the price. The hoses can be a little clunky and get in the way but not a ton you can do about that with these spaghetti hydaulic hoses. I might build a couple myself out of more flexible hose though.

Costco sometimes has them for a good deal.

e: Also keep in mind the measurements for the lifting points on the cars you plan to lift. Works perfect on the 996, but I would prefer it to be a couple inches longer on the Legacy. I still used them though.

I was going to ask if you knew if it could be used on a sloped garage floor, and realized they likely had a FAQ for this. And they do. If anyone else is curious, the max allowable % grade is:
Lateral - 3 degree slope for 5.24 %grade
Longitudinal - 4 degree slope for 6.99 % grade

Found https://www.quickjack.com/explore/frequently-asked-questions.html#slope

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I brought my 18+V Ryobi hammer drill for a work trip just in case I would need it. Was playing with the trigger and it just up and stopped working. Doesn't spin at all. The LED lit up for a bit, but that's not flashing, either. Battery life lights say its full, but only when I unplug it. Guess it could be the battery...

I've used the drat thing like twice. I had the charger replaced after two or three uses, also. I know Ryobi isn't even a "prosumer" brand, but this is ridiculous.

My little 12V Ryobi drill has been a beast by comparison. It doesn't have a lot of torque, but I've abused the poo poo out of it.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Uthor posted:

I brought my 18+V Ryobi hammer drill for a work trip just in case I would need it. Was playing with the trigger and it just up and stopped working. Doesn't spin at all. The LED lit up for a bit, but that's not flashing, either. Battery life lights say its full, but only when I unplug it. Guess it could be the battery...

I've used the drat thing like twice. I had the charger replaced after two or three uses, also. I know Ryobi isn't even a "prosumer" brand, but this is ridiculous.

My little 12V Ryobi drill has been a beast by comparison. It doesn't have a lot of torque, but I've abused the poo poo out of it.

I had the exact same issue with my Ryobi hammer drill bought in June. I swapped to a bigger battery I had, and haven't had a problem since. I'm not sure if I have tried the original battery again as I have a few identical.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I cracked one of my new-ish (bought this spring) SK 6-point sockets while using it with a ~10" flex-head newer (Chinese) Craftsman flex head socket a couple weeks ago. I am supremely disappointed but not enough to have called the warranty line yet. I paid a lot extra to buy a nice kit of US-made metric sockets in a nice case and look where that got me.

For what it's worth, my ancient set of HF metric 12-points worked fine on the bolt with the same ratchet.

I also bought the Wright 3430 this week since I saw it in this thread and it is loving neat as hell. I got it from McMaster-Carr with an order of a bunch of random tools and oddball things I wanted and even after shipping but with no-tax out of state it was way cheaper net than Amazon, plus I got it ~18 hours after ordering.

I also got this thing which seems really cool, but I haven't tried it out yet. Hopefully it's durable enough to be useful because it's a neat idea and I am perennially missing the adaptor I actually need: https://www.mcmaster.com/5522a21

Specifically, I received this: https://cal-vantools.com/products/twin-spin-drive-converter-3-8-1-2/

berth ell pup fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 13, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I will admit it's pretty fun to use the M18 mid-torque on fasteners that don't need anywhere near that much to loosen. Squeeze the trigger and without so much as a "bap" it's already spun all the way out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Any opinions on brake bleeder tools?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Any opinions on brake bleeder tools?
Air powered vacuum type is my preference.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My nephew just got his first whip. 2006 Ranger, 2wd.

I'm looking to hook him up with some poo poo for it for jesus day.

I'm planning on regifting his rear end some booster cables, I've got 2 or maybe 3 sets sitting in a closet. I'm going to try to find a small 12v compressor, a few bags of sand (seriously), and maybe some better headlight bulbs.

Also a tire repair kit.
I have this one https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tire-toolbox-0092103p.html#Reviews It works sufficiently, but the straight grip on the rasp and string poker shits is awkward to use. I've got a strong grip, and I'm not a weakling and it wasn't easy for me to shove that poo poo in and out. He's a skinny, 17 year old kid, not a real man like his cheapskate uncle.

Problem is, the kits that have the T handles, don't come with other poo poo. Only the pokers and string plugs.

I've looked, but can't really find much else available with as much poo poo as the first kit I posted, problem is, its got the pokers with the lovely handles. I've checked on Amazon, but most of the kits I've seen on there I kinda question the quality of them. I at least have personal experience with the victor kit. Any suggestions? I could just get him a plastic container and add all the components together, since I'm also going to try and get a small pair of needle nose/side cutters so he can yank out nails/screws etc but I'm a broke rear end bitch and a horrible, cheap uncle.

Can anyone think of anything else I should look for in addition to the above?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

wesleywillis posted:

I'm planning on regifting his rear end some booster cables, I've got 2 or maybe 3 sets sitting in a closet. I'm going to try to find a small 12v compressor, a few bags of sand (seriously), and maybe some better headlight bulbs.

Also a tire repair kit.
I have this one https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tire-toolbox-0092103p.html#Reviews It works sufficiently, but the straight grip on the rasp and string poker shits is awkward to use. I've got a strong grip, and I'm not a weakling and it wasn't easy for me to shove that poo poo in and out. He's a skinny, 17 year old kid, not a real man like his cheapskate uncle.

Problem is, the kits that have the T handles, don't come with other poo poo. Only the pokers and string plugs.

I've looked, but can't really find much else available with as much poo poo as the first kit I posted, problem is, its got the pokers with the lovely handles. I've checked on Amazon, but most of the kits I've seen on there I kinda question the quality of them. I at least have personal experience with the victor kit. Any suggestions? I could just get him a plastic container and add all the components together, since I'm also going to try and get a small pair of needle nose/side cutters so he can yank out nails/screws etc but I'm a broke rear end bitch and a horrible, cheap uncle.

Maybe a nice harbor freight breaker bar + appropriate socket for his wheels?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

builds character posted:

Maybe a nice harbor freight breaker bar + appropriate socket for his wheels?

Dope idea! Though it'll be a Princess Auto brand.....

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Also a tire repair kit.

I'd suggest a 40lb bag of floor dry or kitty litter (I think they're basically the same thing). Just as gritty, comes in a sealed bag, and useful if he spills oil for some reason.

You can get a tiny jump starter box for fairly cheap now, as an alternative to jumper cables, or a jump starter box that also has an air compressor. I saw that you are giving him a pair of cables you already have, it's just a suggestion.

I'd also recommend a tow strap for getting pulled out of a ditch or pulling others, depending on where you live.

A patch kit for tires might be less useful than a can of that instant-tire-repair stuff, if he's not mechanically-inclined. It'll get him as far as an actual tire repair place at least.

Verify that the truck has a jack (and that it's not one that will try to murder him, depending on how much you like him), and if not, maybe a decent one of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

boxen posted:

I'd suggest a 40lb bag of floor dry or kitty litter (I think they're basically the same thing). Just as gritty, comes in a sealed bag, and useful if he spills oil for some reason.

You can get a tiny jump starter box for fairly cheap now, as an alternative to jumper cables, or a jump starter box that also has an air compressor. I saw that you are giving him a pair of cables you already have, it's just a suggestion.

I'd also recommend a tow strap for getting pulled out of a ditch or pulling others, depending on where you live.

A patch kit for tires might be less useful than a can of that instant-tire-repair stuff, if he's not mechanically-inclined. It'll get him as far as an actual tire repair place at least.

Verify that the truck has a jack (and that it's not one that will try to murder him, depending on how much you like him), and if not, maybe a decent one of those?

Tow strap = good choice, I'll look in to that, and a jack.... What sort of jack won't kill him? Like I mean what is the stock Ranger jack of that era like? Is it ok if its never been used? Or is the stocker just bad all around (they usually are).

He's in highschool and has, or is taking some auto shop classes, so I'd hope that he's at least basically competent to change a tire/follow the instructions to put in a string plug etc.