Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Hamill and Roberts might be friends, but he's still going to charge out the wazoo for his work on a project with a $200 million budget, because he's not an idiot. And even if he were, his agent isn't.

Yes, sometimes actors do appear in cool indie projects for SAG/AFTRA scale (or whatever their country's equivalent is), but agents haaaaaaate that unless it's a prestige film. The agent would certainly strongly advise against Hamill cutting his rates significantly for a vidya.

Sorry, my tax isn't embedding, but it is extremely cute :smith: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/uDzwQij

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Spiderdrake posted:

The game development is the cargo cult.

SC's fanbase, yeah, they're pretty culty. We might be kinda culty too, though, it's hard to say from the inside.

ok so we have established the following now:

- sc development = cargo cult (faking it and hoping for the desired result)
- sc belivers = cult-cult (a closed community with hierarchies and whatnot)
- but what kind of cult is SA then? i do not think SA is a cult. i think SA is the audience. goons are just the type of spectators that like to shout across the playfield... just my 2 cents. you may keep them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

space-X-chicken posted:

- but what kind of cult is SA then? i do not think SA is a cult. i think SA is the audience. goons are just the type of spectators that like to shout across the playfield... just my 2 cents. you may keep them.

We're a tribe.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star citizen is poo poo and the backers are idiots

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

Backers literally don't give a poo poo what they get at this point. It could go through 19 more iterations until it becomes The Beavis and Butthead Experience vol. 2 and they will applaud it because CIG will have released something and that proves the haters wrong. That's literally the only thing they have left in their lives at this point. They're even naming their unfortunate, likely doomed children after Chris Roberts' random dumb names of poo poo in his non-game. They'll take poo poo and smile about it.

Take that, haters!

It's kind of sad that this is so true.

They are just happy with any kind of progress today. :(

So many things that don't and shouldn't have ever been part of the scope of a fun and engaging space game have become it so much that the game they actually want is virtually gone.

What they're ultimately going to get is an interactive version of Progress Quest. But it's not my place to direct their wishes. As long as people are happy I'm ok with it. :)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

But I'll stick to it that the space game CR projected using CryEngine is a super difficult, nearly impossible task to even get half way right.

On that we will always be 100% agreed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1051568877648404480

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1048920690118873089

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We're a tribe.

1/500th or 1/1000th?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

On a completely different subject, I want to talk for a second about missiles. Early on, missiles were an incredibly important part of the sales pitch. Every combat ship had missiles. There were whole ships based around missiles- the Gladiator, the Retaliator. They actually started a bit of an arms race because the Constellation Phoenix was the first ship that was supposed to come with a point defense turret to shoot down the missiles. The Idris had an entire room and crew position dedicated to anti-ship missiles. Missiles were a critical part of the "Threat" component of any major ship when engaged with fighters, and a major part of what was supposed to make fighters threatening to big ships.

So here we are in the year of our lord 2018 and missiles don't work. Not like, "They are unpopular," I mean they straight do not work. You can't begin to target them 90% of the time. When you do, the targeting is glitchy and inconsistent and you lose locks nearly instantly. If you do manage to get a lock on someone, you have to hold down middle-mouse to fire. Unfortunately this also causes your camera to switch to missile cam, which is incredibly distracting in a heated dog fight. If you power through all of this and actually shoot a missile at someone, you will quickly learn that they basically do nothing. They can't turn fast enough to follow fighters, so they only hit stationary or head-on targets. And I don't know if the damage is too low or they are bugged but I have never seen a missile kill in the PU and only once in Arena Commander. At most they will scorch the paint of a light fighter. This is to say nothing of torpedos, which are even worse. If you do manage to fire one, you will find that it just kind of sticks to the enemy target's hull and then flops around like a playful puppy until it eventually just kind of implodes.

It has been this way since the PU was released and CIG has, to my knowledge, made zero moves to solve the issue. Practically this means that about half of the game's combat ships have always been worthless. They basically gave up on selling missile-based ships, I haven't seen a Retaliator in-game since 2015, and I've never seen a Gladiator. Much more impactful though, very common ships like the Constellation which caries 52 loving missiles are now reduced to using their guns, all the time. Even ships like the brand new Hammerhead, which is supposed to carry 24 of the things, have to rely on their turret gunners.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because they're now talking about balancing flight models and combat. What should arguably be the most effective thing you can do against a given ship doesn't work, and has never worked, and they now think they have enough data to dramatically slow ship speeds and maneuvering in combat. They're going to rebuild the whole combat model taking only gun-to-gun into account, when half the ships in the game were designed as, and sold as, missile platforms with a couple of secondary turrets attached. This is nuts! If missiles were actually working, forcing both ship in a dogfight to go sub-200m/s would basically guarantee that they would be destroyed by a couple missile shots. Instead, they are going to build the whole thing to guarantee that players can get hits in with their WW2 era guns instead.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

On a completely different subject, I want to talk for a second about missiles. Early on, missiles were an incredibly important part of the sales pitch. Every combat ship had missiles. There were whole ships based around missiles- the Gladiator, the Retaliator. They actually started a bit of an arms race because the Constellation Phoenix was the first ship that was supposed to come with a point defense turret to shoot down the missiles. The Idris had an entire room and crew position dedicated to anti-ship missiles. Missiles were a critical part of the "Threat" component of any major ship when engaged with fighters, and a major part of what was supposed to make fighters threatening to big ships.

So here we are in the year of our lord 2018 and missiles don't work. Not like, "They are unpopular," I mean they straight do not work. You can't begin to target them 90% of the time. When you do, the targeting is glitchy and inconsistent and you lose locks nearly instantly. If you do manage to get a lock on someone, you have to hold down middle-mouse to fire. Unfortunately this also causes your camera to switch to missile cam, which is incredibly distracting in a heated dog fight. If you power through all of this and actually shoot a missile at someone, you will quickly learn that they basically do nothing. They can't turn fast enough to follow fighters, so they only hit stationary or head-on targets. And I don't know if the damage is too low or they are bugged but I have never seen a missile kill in the PU and only once in Arena Commander. At most they will scorch the paint of a light fighter. This is to say nothing of torpedos, which are even worse. If you do manage to fire one, you will find that it just kind of sticks to the enemy target's hull and then flops around like a playful puppy until it eventually just kind of implodes.

It has been this way since the PU was released and CIG has, to my knowledge, made zero moves to solve the issue. Practically this means that about half of the game's combat ships have always been worthless. They basically gave up on selling missile-based ships, I haven't seen a Retaliator in-game since 2015, and I've never seen a Gladiator. Much more impactful though, very common ships like the Constellation which caries 52 loving missiles are now reduced to using their guns, all the time. Even ships like the brand new Hammerhead, which is supposed to carry 24 of the things, have to rely on their turret gunners.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because they're now talking about balancing flight models and combat. What should arguably be the most effective thing you can do against a given ship doesn't work, and has never worked, and they now think they have enough data to dramatically slow ship speeds and maneuvering in combat. They're going to rebuild the whole combat model taking only gun-to-gun into account, when half the ships in the game were designed as, and sold as, missile platforms with a couple of secondary turrets attached. This is nuts! If missiles were actually working, forcing both ship in a dogfight to go sub-200m/s would basically guarantee that they would be destroyed by a couple missile shots. Instead, they are going to build the whole thing to guarantee that players can get hits in with their WW2 era guns instead.

HONK! HONK! HONK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULxA2-VV6Os&t=10s

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

This is actually a very simple thing to explain. When CIG says they're going to "balance flight models and combat," that implies that the flight model is done, and combat is complete. If they weren't, it wouldn't make any sense to balance them. You can only balance systems that are complete and functional - then it's just a matter of tuning the numbers.

CIG's number one crime from the beginning is lying by implication. That's all this is - more of that poo poo. So when someone new to the "game" reads that they're doing a balance pass, they assume the game has been complete, at least regarding the discussed systems, for long enough that tuning is now all that's left.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Tippis posted:

TheGremlich does not word rightly. :eng99:

TheGremliching weirds language.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

EvilMerlin posted:

1/500th or 1/1000th?

Oh hey you're back. Your favorite game sucks rear end so hard it broke my will to live

Also quit saying racist poo poo

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Just a space game is not hard at all, I agree there. In fact I believe it's that concept of "a space game is not hard to make" that helped actually propel the Star Citizen Kickstarter to work. They wanted to rebuild privateer/Wing Commander with some new paint and a few walking around bits. Not too hard really. At the time, the hardest part was probably going to be the motion capture animation they wanted for Sq42 and it's star power.

However what it has become today is very hard and very complex. A good team could pull it off by cutting away a considerable amount of it, but what CR has it promised as, and worse yet, already sold assets for because he's so sure he can do it, is very tough to do.

From manually loading your own missiles inside a capital ship to serving drinks to npcs watching a movie and getting sick to space farming inside your ships multiple habitats to shooting a guy from a hole in your ship through the hole in his ship... in a twitch based mmo game... is very hard to do.

The nearest competition there is probably Eve, which comes close with its fleet battles and large scales, but it's certainly not a twitch shooter and even has programming built in to slow things down when the battles get too big because it's too much to handle.

There's always ED as well, but it's more of a peer to peer kind of game than a real mmo setting where you can have fleet battles and they've literally sold carriers where you can have mobile bases from and ships with crews into the double digits or higher.

There's been nothing like Star Citizen attempted yet really, and it's cool of them to do in a fashion. It would be the coolest if they were finding this with their own money instead of ripping people off with promises that can never be fulfilled.

But I'll stick to it that the space game CR projected using CryEngine is a super difficult, nearly impossible task to even get half way right.

I think its important to note the complexity of the space game they've promised. Like even something as simple as passenger transport has been pitched to the backers as something with enough content and complexity to be a game in and of itself. Just look at this poo poo...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14804-Design-Notes-Civilian-Passenger-Transport

quote:

Fuel capacity, consumable storage capacity, and engine efficiency are the primary determinants as to whether a given ship is classified as short or long range. The Starliner is the top of the line – a long range, Luxury Class transport ship equipped with a prodigious seating capacity, fuel efficient engines, an advanced quantum stabilizer to minimize occurrences of vibration-induced nausea, private sleeping cabins, and much more to remove all of the discomfort from an extended voyage.

Every passenger keeps track of their flight experience in a number of different ways, and their ticket class directly impacts how forgiving they are in their evaluation. While the higher fares that can be charged for First Class may seem very appealing, adequately dealing with the increased difficulty of satisfying a more demanding clientele will require much more than simply the one-time purchase of a ship offering the desired seating comfort and amenities. Travelers that purchase the higher tier seating classes expect superior service, higher quality food and drink, a greater selection of entertainment offerings, prompt medical treatment, and better access to shipboard facilities. How well these expectations are met will ultimately determine how a player’s reputation in the passenger transportation field evolves over time.

ICES blades may fail for a variety of reasons, and each requires a specific procedure to resolve. Burned out units are simply ejected and replaced with another, assuming that the player had the foresight to restock their ship prior to departure. Excessive radio interference may prevent a solid communications data link from being established, which can in turn be addressed via a player quickly matching a set of binary filters to a hexadecimal status code before the interfering frequency and offsetting status code change. Recalibration of a misaligned audio processor can be accomplished via pressing a sequence of eight buttons associated with musical notes to match a test melody whose length is dictated by the extent of the failure. Carefully soldering a loose connection – while ensuring that the main circuit board isn’t damaged in the process – can remedy contact failures.

Passengers consider the total popularity value of a movie library – as well as the percentage of the flight for which they had access to it, as a malfunctioning ICES device can completely eradicate the benefits of a solid movie library – when calculating how pleased they were with the overall level of entertainment options on the flight.

At some point, though, most players will seek to supplement their operation with one or more non-player characters, if only to allow the player to focus on those tasks that they find most interesting or where they truly excel. This can be done via traveling to one of the recruiting stations that populate larger cities. These businesses contain profile information on a large number of job applicants and can sort their personnel database according to the desired job. Every applicant has their own unique mix of skills and knowledge, with the more capable stewards and stewardesses commanding a higher monthly wage.

This is an insane level of complexity that is nowhere on even the most distant horizon for CIG, and every profession has a similar level of promised detail; coffee and riveting space commuter gameplay are easier.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Do they still sell missiles and torpedoes for real money on their website, or did they finally discover an ounce of shame and put an end to that?

For that matter, are missiles purchasable with in-game currency, and if so, how does their cost square with the mission rewards? Because if it's like 1800 for a missile and a mission pays 600, that'd be fuckin' hilarious.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

This is actually a very simple thing to explain. When CIG says they're going to "balance flight models and combat," that implies that the flight model is done, and combat is complete. If they weren't, it wouldn't make any sense to balance them. You can only balance systems that are complete and functional - then it's just a matter of tuning the numbers.

CIG's number one crime from the beginning is lying by implication. That's all this is - more of that poo poo. So when someone new to the "game" reads that they're doing a balance pass, they assume the game has been complete, at least regarding the discussed systems, for long enough that tuning is now all that's left.

Originally I was surprised that missiles still didn't work. I figured players would flip poo poo that half the combat power of basically every ship was useless. CIG lies by implication all the time, it's true, but I mean... half of all combat ships can't use their primary weapons! Why isn't there a huge crowd of people agitating about this?

Then I actually played the game, and spent that time following Citizens around. It turns out none of them ever fire their guns or go anywhere that guns can be fired. They buy expensive ships and then cruise the strip at their favorite stations. Suddenly a lot of stuff became clear to me- why nobody seems concerned about space combat, why CIG gets away with increasingly ridiculous lies about the state of certain parts of the game, why anyone would ever buy a "luxury" variant of a ship that costs hundreds more and comes with like, a minibar. A video game spaceship minibar.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Originally I was surprised that missiles still didn't work. I figured players would flip poo poo that half the combat power of basically every ship was useless. CIG lies by implication all the time, it's true, but I mean... half of all combat ships can't use their primary weapons! Why isn't there a huge crowd of people agitating about this?

Then I actually played the game, and spent that time following Citizens around. It turns out none of them ever fire their guns or go anywhere that guns can be fired. They buy expensive ships and then cruise the strip at their favorite stations. Suddenly a lot of stuff became clear to me- why nobody seems concerned about space combat, why CIG gets away with increasingly ridiculous lies about the state of certain parts of the game, why anyone would ever buy a "luxury" variant of a ship that costs hundreds more and comes with like, a minibar. A video game spaceship minibar.

All the Shooty McPvP guys already quit or refunded in disgust :v:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Trilobite posted:

Do they still sell missiles and torpedoes for real money on their website, or did they finally discover an ounce of shame and put an end to that?

For that matter, are missiles purchasable with in-game currency, and if so, how does their cost square with the mission rewards? Because if it's like 1800 for a missile and a mission pays 600, that'd be fuckin' hilarious.

I think they stopped selling stuff for real dollars. You "Rent" stuff for Arena Commander using the "REC" cash, though, which you earn by playing Arena Commander. I actually think that's totally fair, or it would be if the loving equipment actually worked.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/Weapon-Roms/Spark-Proximity-CS-Missile

You can buy missiles in the PU with in-game currency, at Levski, I think. They are actually reasonably priced from 15 (size 1) up to 1000 (size 9). The Constellation carries 24 size 1 and 28 size 2, for example, so you could fill the whole thing with missiles for around the price of a couple missions. Again, that's totally fair, if they actually worked.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11pkLHFACo65-6VF6A1UkkVvWrPXphTfSeXlNA2sI4AQ/edit?usp=sharing

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Gremlich being invited to a party is less believable than CIG completing all the stretch goals by 2020.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

monkeytek posted:

Have you seen the ones building "cockpits" in their basements and dressing as space bunnies? I'd say there is a significant number of those who believe SC will give them the magical life they've felt has been denied them so long.

I haven't looked that hard. I've been playing Elite and most of my exposure to the Star Citizen community has been from their trolls. Are they functioning simpits at least? Hell, I rigged an old SXGA projector and cannibalized an old recliner into a redneck simpit for Elite so I can understand the appeal...

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

space-X-chicken posted:

16 Warning Signs That You Might Be in a Cult
  1. Zealous Commitment to the Leader
  2. Dissent Is Discouraged
  3. Mind-Altering Practices Are Used
  4. Members Must Seek Permission Before Engaging in Certain Activities
  5. The Group Is Elitist
  6. The Ends Justify the Means
  7. A Strong Us vs Them Mentality
  8. The Leader Is Not Accountable to Other Authorities
  9. Shame and Guilt Are Prevalent
  10. Group Members Must Cut Ties with Their Families
  11. A Preoccupation with New Members
  12. A Preoccupation with Money
  13. A Huge Time Commitment
  14. A Requirement to Socialize with Fellow Members Only
  15. There Is Nothing Worth Pursuing Except the Group's Goals
  16. Fear and Dread

Dunno, are we a cult?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Beet/Beer, should we report people for bringing stupid US politics into our make fun of space game bears thread? Asking for a friend.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh hey you're back. Your favorite game sucks rear end so hard it broke my will to live

Also quit saying racist poo poo

Not sure what Rise of Flight ever did to you, but it helps if you get a good HOTAS system and rudder pedals and remember that rotary engines have a hell of a gyroscopic precession.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We're a tribe.

Lord of the Fries.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Haha, pubG took less than 2 years and goddamn forthnite's battle royale mode was added in a few months.

Bluehole (the pubG company) was created in 2015, and they contacted Greene in mid 2017. Somehow they managed to pack 5 years in there.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I haven't looked that hard. I've been playing Elite and most of my exposure to the Star Citizen community has been from their trolls. Are they functioning simpits at least? Hell, I rigged an old SXGA projector and cannibalized an old recliner into a redneck simpit for Elite so I can understand the appeal...

Hell yeah there are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twP5ZIeoGxQ

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

trucutru posted:

Haha, pubG took less than 2 years and goddamn forthnite's battle royale mode was added in a few months.

Bluehole (the pubG company) was created in 2015, and they contacted Greene in mid 2017. Somehow they managed to pack 5 years in there.

Bluehole was founded in 2007. They simply were not called that until 2015. PUBG was already being worked on in 2016 and the team mostly taken over by Greene in 2017 as a "creative director".

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oh, you were asking if there are functioning Star Citizen simpits.

I don't know. I imagine a barbecue grill and your wallet would capture the full experience pretty well

E: this looks nauseating as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lASg2luzoE

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Star Citizen cockpit setups, some of them even play Elite too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubk3dvOdYzg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYQFmrcn3vQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRNQSDL3sjo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

trucutru posted:

The pubG part of the company was created in 2015

The company made Tera (a mmorpg) and was apparently founded in 2007

This argument is dumb poo poo people should stop engaging in anyway. Its just moving around goal posts until the other party gets tired. The numbers don't matter.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

Bluehole was founded in 2007. They simply were not called that until 2015. PUBG was already being worked on in 2016 and the team mostly taken over by Greene in 2017 as a "creative director".

You realize they made an MMO in 4 years (or -1 years in Shittizen reckoning) right?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm only mentioning this because lots of people think this is impossible.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Shame and Guilt Are Prevalent

Yes

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

SoftNum posted:

You realize they made an MMO in 4 years (or -1 years in Shittizen reckoning) right?

And its a bug fest, deeply infested by Chinese hackers...

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
After seeing some of the recent buggy play test footage I’m kind of sad that I refunded so long ago.

Now I can’t try to die while doing mundane space things.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh, you were asking if there are functioning Star Citizen simpits.

I don't know. I imagine a barbecue grill and your wallet would capture the full experience pretty well

E: this looks nauseating as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lASg2luzoE

lol Yeah that looks terrible

the thing with Star Citizen... It's like, imma wake up and stare directly at my dick while I climb out of my wank pod

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The problem (other than that you are a nazi) is that star citizen isn't a game where you are in the cockpit of a spaceship. It's a game where you are in the head of a spaceman.

So all these cockpit sims look hosed up and weird for like 80% of play time because they're steering a man around an FPS level using a joystick and altimeter, for some reason.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Star citizen is poo poo and the backers are idiots

a well-balanced, thought out statement that puts every aspect of the supject into consideration to finally...yadayada...

...some more yadayada....

...i'm building up the joke at this point....

...get the pipelines into space you fudsters

(yeah there was no joke im sorry for that but i will click on submit now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

permaban the wehraboo imho