Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

I, too, am legit bummed we never got this. But I'm having trouble imaging this flowing panel to panel. Maybe the palette would be more limited outside of splash pages, but other wise I can only imagine it as Illustrations partnered with a pulp novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One of the last comics that I remember Alex Ross writing was Avengers vs Invaders from the post Civil War period.
It wasn't great.

Alex Ross is like the George Clooney of comics. Can produce amazing work, but doesn't like to use anything made post 1978.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah Ross absolutely needs a writer

His FF run would have been pretty to look at but intensely dull

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

yeah Ross absolutely needs a writer

His FF run would have been pretty to look at but intensely dull

Has he drawn the kids before? I just don’t see that style working with the whole cast. All I can think of is the Secret Wars covers.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Aaron's Avengers is just another car on the train being run on Namor since AvX.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Ross doesn't like drawing anything from after Gwen Stacy died. Franklin would stay a baby and no Valaria at all. (Pretty sure the reason Marvel passed was entirely not wanting to reboot the team, given how load-bearing Reed, Franklin, Doom and Namor are right now.)

Still could work for the MCU though. Let their accident put them 50 years forward, make them products of the sixties in the modern world, played straight...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

For the MCU I kind of like the idea I read somewhere else of they went up into space about 10 years ago in the MCU Timeline and disappeared. They finally return home after being across several dimensions like the Negative Zone and Microverse and have had their powers for years at this point so it's already a fully formed team used to their abilities.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Thranguy posted:

Ross doesn't like drawing anything from after Gwen Stacy died. Franklin would stay a baby and no Valaria at all. (Pretty sure the reason Marvel passed was entirely not wanting to reboot the team, given how load-bearing Reed, Franklin, Doom and Namor are right now.)

Still could work for the MCU though. Let their accident put them 50 years forward, make them products of the sixties in the modern world, played straight...

I am legit down for a Brady Bunch movie FF, someone pitch netflix.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-O posted:

For the MCU I kind of like the idea I read somewhere else of they went up into space about 10 years ago in the MCU Timeline and disappeared. They finally return home after being across several dimensions like the Negative Zone and Microverse and have had their powers for years at this point so it's already a fully formed team used to their abilities.

"You're saying I can't call Sue "Woman" anymore? Can't tell her to get back in the kitchen?!"
"Reed, you disappeared from 2008. Not the Sixties."

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Adept Nightingale posted:

I am legit down for a Brady Bunch movie FF, someone pitch netflix.

This is the story, of a boy named Jonny, who was leeching off his sister and her man~

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lobok posted:

"You're saying I can't call Sue "Woman" anymore? Can't tell her to get back in the kitchen?!"
"Reed, you disappeared from 2008. Not the Sixties."

It turns out MCU Reed grew up in Mississippi. "Whaddya mean slavery is illegal now?!"

Has there ever been a story about a super genius trailer park white trash? I understand why those two concepts tend to be mutually exclusive, but that duality could be fun before it overstays it's welcome.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 15, 2018

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

cant cook creole bream posted:

Has there ever been a story about a super genius trailer park white trash? I understand why those two concepts tend to be mutually exclusive, but that duality could be fun before it overstays it's welcome.

Marc Bernardin's Genius from Top Cow is about a once-in-a-century strategist and leader who happens to have been born as a poor black woman in the inner city, but that's as close as I can think of offhand.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I read Cosmic Ghost Rider up to the latest issue, and now I have spent most of my day off catching up on comics instead of playing Persona 4.

Help.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

"What if a poor person was smart" is pretty tasteless if taken as a gimmick or "a fun duality" rather than a chance to really examine issues of class and education and ideology and I don't know how many working comics writers I would trust to do it well and not in a tacky way. I know in some continuities Lex Luthor grew up in a pretty impoverished and dysfunctional rural home but I have no idea if that's canon anymore. I don't think there's been any real push to write Paige Guthrie as a super genius but in Gen X she was written as really really bright but also very insecure about her upbringing. I can't really think of others because a lot of the comics characters who do come from working class backgrounds are still located in NYC or some other metropolitan area and so they fill a different narrative niche.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

At a certain point, Dr. Redneck would just be a guy with an annoyingly written accent and a mullet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Archyduke posted:

"What if a poor person was smart" is pretty tasteless if taken as a gimmick or "a fun duality" rather than a chance to really examine issues of class and education and ideology and I don't know how many working comics writers I would trust to do it well and not in a tacky way.

Come on now. There's a certain difference between just being poor and growing up in a remote hellhole stuck in the thirties. You're implying that I wouldn't believe poor people could be smart, or that all poor people grow up in such a way.

The duality I was talking about is less about being poor but more about building state of the art technology while having an ideology from a century ago.

I realize now that I made my point really unclear and I'm sorry about it. While it's an insulting term for the poor in general, when I was talking about "trailer park white trash" it wasn't actually about the living situation, but the attitude. Not every person who lives in a trailer is a redneck with a dozen rifles and as many Gadson flags, who thinks the years 2008 to 2016 have to be erased from history. That's not the sort of person I'd consider a high level genius.
My apologies.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 16, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Come on now. There's a certain difference between just being poor and growing up in a remote hellhole stuck in the thirties. You're implying that I wouldn't believe poor people could be smart, or that all poor people grow up in such a way.

The duality I was talking about is less about being poor but more about building state of the art technology while having an ideology from a century ago.

I realize now that I made my point really unclear and I'm sorry about it. While it's an insulting term for the poor in general, when I was talking about "trailer park white trash" it wasn't actually about the living situation, but the attitude. Not every person who lives in a trailer is a redneck with a dozen rifles and as many Gadson flags, who thinks the years 2008 to 2016 have to be erased from history. That's not the sort of person I'd consider a high level genius.
My apologies.

No problem, I should apologize too-- I overreacted and was taking out a broader beef with the way class is dealt with in comics out on your post in a way that wasn't fair. My mom, who I admire a ton, went from if, not a trailer park per se, a very very backwards and culturally conservative rural upbringing to being the first member of her family to go to college (or even want to go to college) and a 40-year career in microbiology, so I'm sort of hypersensitive about this kind of thing. I think superhero comics are historically pretty unsubtle about class, and it's telling that there are so many more heroic billionaire industrialist superheroes than there are working class ones. We've come a long way, unfortunately, from Superman beating up exploitive landlords and corrupt bosses. When characters from less privileged upbringings do come up, I feel like they tend to fall into one a few very broad categories:

1) white urban working class or lower middle class, characters like Steve Rogers or Peter Parker who reflect the NYC-as-melting-pot romance that informed the foundational work of guys like Kirby or Will Eisner.
2) non-white urban working class, which can range from really cringe-worthy ethnic stereotyping to more compelling stuff, the latter much more common from, of course, actual writers of color. For a long time though this all read as really second-hand and offensively broad, like the writers' only knowledge was from blaxploitation movies or The Wire.
3) rural working class as metonymy for the American dream, which can be really maudlin and tacky, or, if treated more explicitly allegorically, ok-- like G.Mo's All-Star Superman or some of the better stories about Cannonball's family.
4) rural working class as one big roaming lynch-mob, which is a common enough archetype that it probably speaks for itself. Incest jokes, one-strap overalls, and Deliverance pastiches abound. This isn't always a disaster-- Alan Moore' Swamp Thing is essentially in many parts a variation on this, the American South as an ontological nightmare space, although much like #2 its easy to mess up if the writer just treats their characters like ideological cardboard cut-outs. Some of the best Ghost Rider stories also dig up to the knuckles into regional pulp and grindhouse tropes frequently coded as working class.

The problem-- or, I'd consider it a problem-- is that none of these approaches are especially well-suited to actually saying something substantial or interesting about politics or culture, because they all just approach class (and race) as big convenient mythemes, short-hands of an Other against which the nominally more culturally normative hero debrides against. #2-4 in particular tend to be almost entirely exoticised, even in the works of very good writers.

I think the kind of character you are proposing would still be tricky, albeit maybe more because of the Big Two's squeamishness in terms of getting too pointed about politics. One of the last big Marvel titles ostensibly tackling contemporary political issues was Nick Spencer's Cap and it almost immediately descended into "both sides" centrist porridge. Ditto, to hop mediums for a minute, Far Cry 5, which could have said something pretty incisive about class and culture in America but chose to oscillate between playing it excruciatingly safe thematically and taking the laziest, broadest potshots in the actual scripting.

I suppose U.S.Agent as he was originally written, while not a genius, is sort of close to what you're describing-- he was deliberately a rural, reactionary counterpart to Steve Rogers' urban progressivism, although what that means in 2018 is obviously fairly different from what it meant in 1986. We also unfortunately don't have Mark Gruenwald or anyone much like Mark Gruenwald anymore, although I'd be really interested to see TNC take on something like this. His read on Nuke, actually, is sort of building up to be sort of a read on the alt-right as supervillain in an interesting way.

There was a very cool China Mieville pitch a few years ago actually that sorts of flips the idea on its head-- kind of a leftist, collectivist Scrap Iron Man built out of urban salvage and jointly operated by a makeshift union of people. I think the idea of a villainous version of this is actually pretty compelling-- like a right-wing militia with its own cobbled-together suit of power armor, jerry-rigged by laid-off factory workers funneling their frustrations and resentment in the wrong direction.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
On some level (though it's hard to maintain that sort of status quo) both the initial introductions of Amadeus Cho and Lunella Lafayette involved them being young genius people of color without much/any socioeconomic privilege. I think Amadeus had a solid middle/upper middle class upbringing but also had his parents killed and went on the run when he was in his teens, and Lunella/Moon Girl's initial arcs are literally about how she's stuck in a struggling public school. Of course years down the line they're both friends with billionaires and have unlimited funding for whatever gadgets they're building, which is kind of the struggle of open ended shared universe storytelling.

It was even baked into Riri Williams's origin for all of about three issues before she got invited to Harvard and inherited Tony Stark's patents or whatever.

EDIT: I realize the initial question was about "trailer park white trash", not other underserved communities. I think that concept would suffer from the same sort of creep into "he's got a redneck voice but he's working for MODOK" within a few appearances. That said, if Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys just showed up one day as part of the Intelligencia with absolutely no explanation I wouldn't complain.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 16, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

On some level (though it's hard to maintain that sort of status quo) both the initial introductions of Amadeus Cho and Lunella Lafayette involved them being young genius people of color without much/any socioeconomic privilege. I think Amadeus had a solid middle/upper middle class upbringing but also had his parents killed and went on the run when he was in his teens, and Lunella/Moon Girl's initial arcs are literally about how she's stuck in a struggling public school. Of course years down the line they're both friends with billionaires and have unlimited funding for whatever gadgets they're building, which is kind of the struggle of open ended shared universe storytelling.

It was even baked into Riri Williams's origin for all of about three issues before she got invited to Harvard and inherited Tony Stark's patents or whatever.

Yeah, I was going to mention Lunella but I feel like after the initial arc the book isn't really especially interested in being about class, which is fine, it would be weird of me to expect it to. I did appreciate that her gadgets were all made up of random bric-a-brac and that her not having access to high-tech equipment was part of the visual charm of the book, in the same way that I always really liked old Spider-Man bits about him not having infinite resources. I know the "Parker Luck" thing has become kind of a dead horse but I loved this brief gag in the 80s where his costume got soaked in brine during a fight and he couldn't make the time to get it cleaned so he was just running aroun in a washed-out looking pastel costume for a few issues. It always sort of bugged me that Ms. Marvel was supposed to be similarly grounded in economic reality but then her school has all kinds of super science gadgets lying around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Apparently In the marvel universe no one does inventory and they can't be bothered to hire someone to do that alone. Even though it would save them a lot of money and probably prevent a few supervillains.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I feel like this even happens on the bigger/richer characters, I've lost track of how many times that Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Lex Luthor, or Bruce Wayne have lost their fortune and had to operate leaner and smarter and oh wait someone got bored with this status quo, they're a multi-billionaire again.

Speaking of which, did anyone read the last issue of Slott's Tony Stark: Iron Man comic? The entire comic was built around the idea that some shadowy company launched Tinder, except the way this Tinder worked was that a human would fill out a profile and (unbeknownst to them) the Tinder company would build an incredibly lifelike AI robot/life model decoy that was their perfect mate and then I guess they'd just seed the world with hundreds/thousands/millions(?) of these perfect AI soulmates until one of them got security clearance to a big company like Stark Industries and then they'd immediately transform into Hivemind Thief Robots and try to steal all the technology they can to profit!!!

Think of all of the technological advancements they could steal, all for the mere cost of seeding the world with countless perfect human duplicates that could initially fool even the world's greatest technologist! That can't cost that much money, right?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

I feel like this even happens on the bigger/richer characters, I've lost track of how many times that Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Lex Luthor, or Bruce Wayne have lost their fortune and had to operate leaner and smarter and oh wait someone got bored with this status quo, they're a multi-billionaire again.

Speaking of which, did anyone read the last issue of Slott's Tony Stark: Iron Man comic? The entire comic was built around the idea that some shadowy company launched Tinder, except the way this Tinder worked was that a human would fill out a profile and (unbeknownst to them) the Tinder company would build an incredibly lifelike AI robot/life model decoy that was their perfect mate and then I guess they'd just seed the world with hundreds/thousands/millions(?) of these perfect AI soulmates until one of them got security clearance to a big company like Stark Industries and then they'd immediately transform into Hivemind Thief Robots and try to steal all the technology they can to profit!!!

Think of all of the technological advancements they could steal, all for the mere cost of seeding the world with countless perfect human duplicates that could initially fool even the world's greatest technologist! That can't cost that much money, right?

the plan only needs to go on until the VC money runs dry, duh

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I feel like being able to build note-perfect independent AIs who will be your soulmate and appear human to any sort of test or scan (even within the Marvel Universe) is a good enough feat that you could probably do okay in the market without the secret "transform into robbery-bots and steal other technology for money!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh i totally misread what was going on then, i thought it was a bunch of already existing robots who tried a catfishing op and just decided to send everyone they had once literally every stark employee revealed themselves to be single

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

January 2019 solicits

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-january-2019-solicitations/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Tom Taylor writing a Spidey book and Chip Zdarsky doing Invaders are two things I never thought of but definitely looking forward to.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

aww man I didn't realize Weapon X was ending in December

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Soska Sisters are going to write Black Widow? That is going to be one violent book.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No idea who the Black widow writers are but I'll take a book about her, Tom Taylor Spidey, cautious optimism on Kelly Thompson captain marvel, horror book by Ewing, why are they giving chaykin work give the ww2 stuff to Ennis he seems to enjoy doing that type of comic, sorrentino on an Aaron book has my interest

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm going to check out Conan, Tom Taylor Spidey, the Ewing horror book, Guardians of the Galaxy, and maybe Black Widow.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

why are they giving chaykin work give the ww2 stuff to Ennis he seems to enjoy doing that type of comic

He had some Secret Wars comic "Where Monsters Dwell". I read most of the what seemed like 50 mini-series that came out from that event. Where Monsters Dwell was easily the worst. Extremely toxic masculinity dripped from it, and I don't remember it being tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic. Just a bunch of drat WOMEN telling a MAN how he should LIVE. I've since avoided him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

Oh i totally misread what was going on then, i thought it was a bunch of already existing robots who tried a catfishing op and just decided to send everyone they had once literally every stark employee revealed themselves to be single
That's also a valid/slightly more charitable read on it, but it's still a dating app that was apparently capable of producing perfect soulmates that no one would think weren't human and their end goal was to... steal technology in order to [______________]

IUG posted:

He had some Secret Wars comic "Where Monsters Dwell". I read most of the what seemed like 50 mini-series that came out from that event. Where Monsters Dwell was easily the worst. Extremely toxic masculinity dripped from it, and I don't remember it being tongue-in-cheek or sarcastic. Just a bunch of drat WOMEN telling a MAN how he should LIVE. I've since avoided him.
It's been awhile since I read the series but I remember it being wall to wall "sexist jerk gets figuratively and literally poo poo on by the targets of his completely unfounded white/male supremacy" but also I thought there were a ton of bad Secret Wars mini-series that had very little going for them outside of like high-fiving themselves for coming up with FIN FANG DOOM or VENHAM or I don't even know, it's a wacky mash-em-up that writes itself!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I didn't even know Daredevil was dead yet again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He isn't. Yet.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

site posted:

No idea who the Black widow writers are but I'll take a book about her

They're horror directors/writers/actors. American Mary is a legit good indie horror film.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

At least in DC when that happens they had the decency to try their hand at a minimum wage job at the Belly Burger or whatever DCU fast food franchise.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Definitely getting Conan. Might grab McKay’s new mini. The Ewing horror book looks good. And I love anthology books, so Marvel Comics Presents seems like a good buy too.

I went from almost no big 2 (outside of YA) last year to a pretty decent selection by early 2019.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Reed working a fast food place would be pretty good. I mean he could probably run the whole place by himself (I mean night time fast food is sometimes as few as a two person job anyway).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel Knights 4 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Afterlife with Archie, CW's Riverdale, Netflix's Sabrina) is about the Fantastic Four losing all their money and their home and they have to get jobs. Ben works in Construction, Sue becomes a teacher, Johnny tries to go back to acting, and Reed tries to math them out of it with him realizing that some problems can't be solved like equations so he goes and gets an ordinary job at a computer company. The series deals more with the family and personal angle of their struggles and I really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Of course Johnny would choose acting