Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The LFG tool has been a joke since its inception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
For new players, or newish ones who still have questions about the basics:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-top-3-beginner-tips-for-elder-scrolls-online/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMI6OkGMxK0

Alcast's new player guide (text):
https://alcasthq.com/eso-new-player-beginner-guide/

Dottz on choosing which weapon to use (text+video):
https://dottzgaming.com/eso-guides/getting-started/how-to-choose-a-weapon/

Dottz on choosing which armor to use (text+video):
https://dottzgaming.com/eso-guides/getting-started/how-to-choose-your-armor/

Dottz new player guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omwKCyjejd4

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 16, 2018

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Yeah. It's gotten better, but it's still not great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ineptitude posted:

In the case this is not sarcastic:

Ah. I've had this happen a couple times but I assumed it was someone declining. I actually wasnt being sarcastic :)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ah. I've had this happen a couple times but I assumed it was someone declining. I actually wasnt being sarcastic :)

Yeah, ive heard of this bug, and probably had it happen a few times, but not enough that it wasnt plausibly just someone declining the group.

But holy gently caress 100 times/hour wait is some bullshit.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Aren’t you just supposed to drop the queue after 10 minutes or so and rejoin?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, whenever I have that endless "someone has declined the invite" problem, it doesn't stop until I leave and rejoin the queue.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mizuti posted:

Do you like any particular race's furniture? I could throw you some items to get started with.

Rollersnake gave me some real cool pieces to get workin with, but I'd gladly take some more dunmer bits.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Never queue solo, always ask in goonchat if someone wants to tag along. At the very least most goons tend to know what the hell they're doing, thus taking the slot away from John Q Pubbie, and having two players makes the queue pop a lot faster even if it's two DPS.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Kinda miscellaneous question but why do the damage values already start so high even in low levels? I know it doesn't matter since everything scales and is balanced for it, but it was weird starting out and already hitting for like 1500 instead of 15 or 150 like I expected

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

frajaq posted:

Kinda miscellaneous question but why do the damage values already start so high even in low levels? I know it doesn't matter since everything scales and is balanced for it, but it was weird starting out and already hitting for like 1500 instead of 15 or 150 like I expected

The one tamriel update scales everyone below it to cp160. So If your gear is up-to-date with your level you are basically doing cp160 equivalent base damage. Now when you level up and If you dont keep your gear level up to speed your damage starts dropping. So yea Its a weird system and all numbers on gear pre-160 are wrong.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
At lower levels the game helps you an incredible amount to compensate for the fact that you would not otherwise know your correct rotation or have access to all of the abilities you will be using at max level.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Could someone give me a quick guide to templar leveling?

The guide linked in the OP is presumably out of date (2 years old) and im not sure what the good sources for guides and info is for ESO (written, i don't want to watch youtube vids for these kinds of guides)

I am currently playing a magicka templar, level 22:

All attributes in magicka
Full light armor
Destruction staff: Puncturing sweep, breath of life, vampires bane, solar flare, flame touch, practiced incantation ultimate
Restoration staff: breath of life, puncturing sweep, regeneration, healing ritual, practiced incantation ultimate

I have all the light armor passives i have unlocked so far.

I have bought no other skills. Most of them seem kinda samey as what i already have and since the amount of active skills you can use is so limited it seemed kinda pointless to buy skills i don't have room to use.

Im not sure i am playing the correct build. I suppose melee skills seems more interesting in an action combat game like this. Also the squishy caster playstyle is not really my favorite. Templar itself is probably the correct class though, with the sustainability, heals, healing when doing damage, "paladin archetype", im just not sure if the magicka route is the correct one for me.

Would a stamina build use more melee skills, melee weapons, be a bit more sturdy?
How does that mesh with playing a healer in groups? I quite enjoy healing in the groups i have been in so far, the heal mechanics in this game are fairly unique and its nice with a change from the WoW/FFXIV heal style.

DoriDori240 posted:

So, due to some work responsibilities changing, I will be spending a lot of time off and on the EU server. If EU goons want to join EU goon guild, message me @doridori240 and i will send ya an invite. I have been logging in daily for the last week.

It says account not found. Im not really sure what exactly i am supposed to type. Do i include the @? the numbers at the end?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ineptitude posted:

Could someone give me a quick guide to templar leveling?

Both of these have written guides. Alcast's in more up to date for optimization, but Dottz's has an actual levelling guide.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-templar-build-pve/

https://dottzgaming.com/build/eso-templar-leveling-build/

If you go Stamina, you'll be able to use melee weapons more, but you'll lose the ability to be effective in harder content as a healer (you can still heal through basic dungeons if you know what you're doing; not really suggested for new players though) and you won't really be any more durable.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 17, 2018

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Reclaimer posted:

Never queue solo, always ask in goonchat if someone wants to tag along. At the very least most goons tend to know what the hell they're doing, thus taking the slot away from John Q Pubbie, and having two players makes the queue pop a lot faster even if it's two DPS.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Coldforge posted:

Both of these have written guides. Alcast's in more up to date for optimization, but Dottz's has an actual levelling guide.

If you go Stamina, you'll be able to use melee weapons more, but you'll lose the ability to be effective in harder content as a healer (you can still heal through basic dungeons if you know what you're doing; not really suggested for new players though) and you won't really be any more durable.

Stam templar is funner than magicka imo but missing out on the ability to heal effectively is ROUGH. All they need is a skill that has physical damage you do heal dudes around you and you'll be good to go for normal dungeons.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

jokes posted:

Stam templar is funner than magicka imo but missing out on the ability to heal effectively is ROUGH. All they need is a skill that has physical damage you do heal dudes around you and you'll be good to go for normal dungeons.

im playing a stamplar and vigor is pretty great even though youll have to grind it out in cyrodil for a bit. not going to turn you into a full fledged healer but ive bailed myself and others out of a few jams with it. go 2handed and use rally and youll prettymuch never go below 80% health in most pve content that isent dungeons/trials/group stuff.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Derp, wrong thread!

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 18, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xZAOx posted:

For those on Phinny - what's the story on Powersources now?

Are we going to have to farm trash in Solteris to keep getting them? Or can the good ones be crafted?

get your EQ trash out of here!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They both begin with E :(

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Actually pulled out pen and paper to solve a puzzle doing Wrothgar content, really liking this MMO :3:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

frajaq posted:

Actually pulled out pen and paper to solve a puzzle doing Wrothgar content, really liking this MMO :3:

The Old Orsinium doors, right?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

JackBadass posted:

The Old Orsinium doors, right?

No the Quarry that had a Dwemer Ruins beneath it, where you have to rotate lens in right order

Good to know there's even more puzzles in the future though!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Unfortunately the competently designed puzzles are few and far between. There are a lot of trivially easy ones, and some that are only challenging because they're awkward to interact with.

I wish I played through Orsinium when I was still new to the game. When you get to the point where you're just trying to complete quests for skill points, Orsinium's sprawl is really tedious, but I think I really would have liked it when I was in it for the adventure.

Clockwork City I ended up enjoying a lot more than I thought I would, and it's also content that's best experienced early on. The reward for finishing it is a really, really good character-bound experience scroll that was absolutely useless to me.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 19, 2018

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Anybody know how "days" work for this witch event and the event ticket thing they have going? I got some dremora skulls last night, not super late, but when I logged on a different character this morning and picked up the witch quest, trying to knock out the daily thing before work, I'm just getting the plain purple plunder skulls. I tried two delve bosses and a dolmen, and got no dremora skulls and no event ticket.

My only guess is that the "day" has not rolled over yet for me to get a new one, but everything in this loving game is on a different timeline and I have no idea where the cutoff is. Does it actually start a 24 hour timer unique to me when I get one? Is it a specific time of day and I logged on a little too late yesterday and missed the first day? WTF, how does this game work? Why do they not tell us these things?

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

Edit: I wouldn't bother reading this post, it ended up being pretty useless.

The event started at 10:00AM EDT so that would be my guess for when the next "day" begins.

EDIT: It worked fine for two characters I did this yesterday with but a third character was only getting regular plunder skulls, no Dremora ones like I was expecting. Maybe I was having the same issue. Another edit: vv I guess I remembered wrong about that second character I did this with.

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 19, 2018

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
People in guild chat were saying that the reset was 20 hours after your first skull, but no idea whether that is true or not.

^^ Dremora skulls are account wide, not character based though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

What's the 'better' pick for Warden, stam or mag? Just started one out and have never really looked into them much, so I'm kind of clueless.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Coldforge posted:

Thanks! I have actually read both of those .The Alcast one felt too specific and endgame'y so i stopped reading it. I have the Dotts one bookmarked so it is nice to get confirmed that its worth reading. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions though:

Coldforge posted:

Do you have some hard numbers on this difference? How many % more effective does magicka skills get with each point of magicka?

Why won't i be more durable? Isn't that the point of medium armor? (and heavy more so)

I think i would find it more fun to use melee skills, which is why i am asking. For questing and leveling that is. I always gravitate towards melee roles when i am soloing in MMOs. I don't really find it fun to be a squishy caster and having to kite.
For dungeons/groups i want to heal. Apparently that is a bit of a problem in this game.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ineptitude posted:

Why won't i be more durable? Isn't that the point of medium armor? (and heavy more so)

Medium armor is basically just light armor for stamina users. The actual gain in armor #s doesn't make much difference, all the passives are focused on damage and mobility. The associated skill, evasion, is decent, and 15% dodge chance is nice, but you'll still be squishy. Tankiness in ESO usually comes from resistances and having a large health pool & high health recovery (which is what heavy armor focuses on).

If you want to be more durable, you should look into sets that provide those things in whatever armor weight you're using. Crafted sets like Fortified Brass will give you resistances even in light or medium, and Orgnum's Scales or Willow's Path can boost your health recovery.

quote:

Do you have some hard numbers on this difference? How many % more effective does magicka skills get with each point of magicka?

I don't, but they're available out there if you're really interested. The main thing is your pool of resources; the larger the pool, the more often you can use your skills. If you focus on stamina, you'll have less magicka with which to heal, and vice versa. You also can't recover magicka with a melee heavy attack, which is a problem.

There are some hybrid builds that people are experimenting with after recent changes in stat scaling. They mostly focus around Wardens or DKs, so far.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 19, 2018

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Anybody know how "days" work for this witch event and the event ticket thing they have going? I got some dremora skulls last night, not super late, but when I logged on a different character this morning and picked up the witch quest, trying to knock out the daily thing before work, I'm just getting the plain purple plunder skulls. I tried two delve bosses and a dolmen, and got no dremora skulls and no event ticket.

My only guess is that the "day" has not rolled over yet for me to get a new one, but everything in this loving game is on a different timeline and I have no idea where the cutoff is. Does it actually start a 24 hour timer unique to me when I get one? Is it a specific time of day and I logged on a little too late yesterday and missed the first day? WTF, how does this game work? Why do they not tell us these things?

Minnesota Manatee posted:

Edit: I wouldn't bother reading this post, it ended up being pretty useless.

The event started at 10:00AM EDT so that would be my guess for when the next "day" begins.

EDIT: It worked fine for two characters I did this yesterday with but a third character was only getting regular plunder skulls, no Dremora ones like I was expecting. Maybe I was having the same issue. Another edit: vv I guess I remembered wrong about that second character I did this with.

Oceanbound posted:

People in guild chat were saying that the reset was 20 hours after your first skull, but no idea whether that is true or not.

^^ Dremora skulls are account wide, not character based though.

Reset is 2am EDT every morning.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Could someone invite @luizjaq to the guild?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks! I have actually read both of those .The Alcast one felt too specific and endgame'y so i stopped reading it. I have the Dotts one bookmarked so it is nice to get confirmed that its worth reading. It leaves a lot of unanswered questions though:

I think i would find it more fun to use melee skills, which is why i am asking. For questing and leveling that is. I always gravitate towards melee roles when i am soloing in MMOs. I don't really find it fun to be a squishy caster and having to kite.
For dungeons/groups i want to heal. Apparently that is a bit of a problem in this game.

Stay as magicka templar if you plan on healing. Not even stamina warden has the power to keep pugs alive in content, despite people's insistence. With light armor you should have more survivability thanks to damage shields (Annulment in the Light Armor tree), no need to replace a 5pc with a defensive one. Annulment + templar Rune Focus is more than enough to keep you protected, especially given the boost to defense you get while standing in the rune.

Esdesu
Sep 14, 2014

Could i please get an invite to the NA pc guild on @Osleya

ty :)

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Just bought 30 days, haven't played this since a little bit after it first came out. I have a level 30 something redguard templar, level 15 argonian sorceror healer dude. Having fun with my sorc, but got kicked from a dungeon at the very end because I had no idea what I was doing/couldn't heal enough. Any tips? Also, I haven't had any luck finding good light gear for him and am currently rocking a medium red mountain set or something which is medium. Whats the best way to find something more suited for a mag user?

If anyone wants to add me to a guild I'd happily join. I have wayyy too much free time right now until I can find a good full time job.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Looking at creating an orc character and just trying to find a good class for it. Seems most people think stamsorc is the way to go - do people here agree? stamblade comes second which is tempting, but I don't know how that fits with an orc's passives.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Orc Stamsorc owns.

All lightning, all fast, all the time.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Ok so I answered all my questions tonight. Ran a bunch of wayrest sewer runs and got myself the combat physician set, didn't have any issues keeping everyone healed. Just need to find a good staff for my offhand so I can switch between healing and doing a little bit of damage when I can.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Aramek posted:

Orc Stamsorc owns.

All lightning, all fast, all the time.

What's fast about Stamsorcs? The 10% boost on Hurricane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What's fast about Stamsorcs? The 10% boost on Hurricane?

On top of the 15-21% boost from Athletics.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 20, 2018