Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Then I actually played the game, and spent that time following Citizens around. It turns out none of them ever fire their guns or go anywhere that guns can be fired. They buy expensive ships and then cruise the strip at their favorite stations. Suddenly a lot of stuff became clear to me- why nobody seems concerned about space combat, why CIG gets away with increasingly ridiculous lies about the state of certain parts of the game, why anyone would ever buy a "luxury" variant of a ship that costs hundreds more and comes with like, a minibar. A video game spaceship minibar.

I like this Citizen anthropology. I would be tempted to try it myself but I personally don't have the stomach for the field work required, plus I don't want to give money to CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

EvilMerlin posted:

He's not wrong.

Yeah he is. He's an absolute loving moron and you are too. also you're a nazi. report me binch

EvilMerlin posted:

Which year? Been quite a few of them with space flight, atmo flight... and yep even some ground stuff...

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

monkeytek posted:

No he is not right, he is insane, there is no fun literally straining your eyes to the point they hurt trying to play a game.

Why would people bother with WW1, WW2 and even modern military and civilian flight sims then trying to emulate stuff like

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Regrettable posted:

He's bad but I still think Lazrin was worse.

No way, Laz meltdowns were hilarious.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

No way, Laz meltdowns were hilarious.

Almost all of our resident shills have had at least one or two redeeming factors. Until now, apparently.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Daztek posted:

All the Shooty McPvP guys already quit or refunded in disgust :v:

I doubt it. But i do remember some members of SDC (Smiling Dog Crew - PvP group in ED for those who don't know) saying they were quitting ED for SC because SC was already a better game and would provide a better PvP experience.... that was like well over a year ago, possibly 2.

I wonder how that is working out for them...

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Store Citizer: no he is not right, he is insane

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Beet Goblin posted:

Almost all of our resident shills have had at least one or two redeeming factors. Until now, apparently.

Ahhh yes, this one.

When you like a game that you don't you just gotta be a shill.

Now I get it...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Goblin posted:

Yeah, nothing at all good comes from marvin

I am glad this has resurfaced though

it's the only appropriate reply

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

On a completely different subject, I want to talk for a second about missiles. Early on, missiles were an incredibly important part of the sales pitch. Every combat ship had missiles. There were whole ships based around missiles- the Gladiator, the Retaliator. They actually started a bit of an arms race because the Constellation Phoenix was the first ship that was supposed to come with a point defense turret to shoot down the missiles. The Idris had an entire room and crew position dedicated to anti-ship missiles. Missiles were a critical part of the "Threat" component of any major ship when engaged with fighters, and a major part of what was supposed to make fighters threatening to big ships.

So here we are in the year of our lord 2018 and missiles don't work. Not like, "They are unpopular," I mean they straight do not work. You can't begin to target them 90% of the time. When you do, the targeting is glitchy and inconsistent and you lose locks nearly instantly. If you do manage to get a lock on someone, you have to hold down middle-mouse to fire. Unfortunately this also causes your camera to switch to missile cam, which is incredibly distracting in a heated dog fight. If you power through all of this and actually shoot a missile at someone, you will quickly learn that they basically do nothing. They can't turn fast enough to follow fighters, so they only hit stationary or head-on targets. And I don't know if the damage is too low or they are bugged but I have never seen a missile kill in the PU and only once in Arena Commander. At most they will scorch the paint of a light fighter. This is to say nothing of torpedos, which are even worse. If you do manage to fire one, you will find that it just kind of sticks to the enemy target's hull and then flops around like a playful puppy until it eventually just kind of implodes.

It has been this way since the PU was released and CIG has, to my knowledge, made zero moves to solve the issue. Practically this means that about half of the game's combat ships have always been worthless. They basically gave up on selling missile-based ships, I haven't seen a Retaliator in-game since 2015, and I've never seen a Gladiator. Much more impactful though, very common ships like the Constellation which caries 52 loving missiles are now reduced to using their guns, all the time. Even ships like the brand new Hammerhead, which is supposed to carry 24 of the things, have to rely on their turret gunners.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because they're now talking about balancing flight models and combat. What should arguably be the most effective thing you can do against a given ship doesn't work, and has never worked, and they now think they have enough data to dramatically slow ship speeds and maneuvering in combat. They're going to rebuild the whole combat model taking only gun-to-gun into account, when half the ships in the game were designed as, and sold as, missile platforms with a couple of secondary turrets attached. This is nuts! If missiles were actually working, forcing both ship in a dogfight to go sub-200m/s would basically guarantee that they would be destroyed by a couple missile shots. Instead, they are going to build the whole thing to guarantee that players can get hits in with their WW2 era guns instead.

This is all clearly bullshit because in Chris's "Road to Release" Space Combat was marked as done.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

EvilMerlin posted:

Ahhh yes, this one.

Now I get it...

Lurk more.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh, you were asking if there are functioning Star Citizen simpits.

I don't know. I imagine a barbecue grill and your wallet would capture the full experience pretty well

E: this looks nauseating as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lASg2luzoE

LOL, looks like Davros on amphetamines.

I don't think simpits are suited for FPS shooters. More suited for ships, tanks, cars, whatever... not people point of views.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

EvilMerlin posted:

Ahhh yes, this one.

Now I get it...

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilMerlin posted:

And its a bug fest, deeply infested by Chinese hackers...

That's the fate of SC as well.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

EvilMerlin posted:

Why is it when someone says "well they don't do this" or "you can't have fun with this" as soon as someone posts a image or a video of people doing just that does it turn into the above post?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNC0zhz4Po

Balls from two different angles.

Those are some smooth balls.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Goblin posted:

Yeah he is. He's an absolute loving moron and you are too. also you're a nazi. report me binch

Woah Beet.... bad beet. No! You can do better than that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s nice and all but that’s not a cockpit view.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MarcusSA posted:

That’s nice and all but that’s not a cockpit view.

When you were a kid did you ever pretend you were actually a tiny pilot in your own head and your body was a giant robot? Making whooshing noises and clanging around. Maybe that was just me, after Mechwarrior 2 came out.

Anyway that's the Star Citizen simpit experience.

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O
oh hey the nazi guy is back

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
StarCitizenFanInSciFiToilet.jpg

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sarsapariller posted:

Why would you build a simpit for something that's not a sim?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tippis posted:

Why would you build a simpit for something that's not a sim?

That is the fundamental question isn't it

I mean, maybe you already had one laying around, that'd be fine. But a lot of these pits that Bad Rincewind is linking are custom built for SC. I can't imagine why you'd do that.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

When you were a kid did you ever pretend you were actually a tiny pilot in your own head and your body was a giant robot? Making whooshing noises and clanging around. Maybe that was just me, after Mechwarrior 2 came out.

When I drive to work I pretend I'm on the bridge of a space carrier, and sometimes I turn my radio down real low so the evil Badguize can't detect us with their space hydrophones.

Anyway I'm a dipshit who built a sim pit for Star Citizen, thanks for listening to my story.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

After last week's Citizen Con, my new plan for a Star Citizen simpit:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

EvilMerlin posted:

If they didn't have a clue what they did, how/why the hell would they make adjustments to the carrier?

Maybe I just don't understand development. I tend to ride the short train.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Quavers posted:

After last week's Citizen Con, my new plan for a Star Citizen simpit:

way too well lit to be star citizen related

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Goblin posted:

When I drive to work I pretend I'm on the bridge of a space carrier, and sometimes I turn my radio down real low so the evil Badguize can't detect us with their space hydrophones.

Anyway I'm a dipshit who built a sim pit for Star Citizen, thanks for listening to my story.

Yeah, that POS needs to be reposted for a cheap laugh.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agony Aunt posted:

I doubt it. But i do remember some members of SDC (Smiling Dog Crew - PvP group in ED for those who don't know) saying they were quitting ED for SC because SC was already a better game and would provide a better PvP experience.... that was like well over a year ago, possibly 2.

I wonder how that is working out for them...

I suspect that a significant percentage of the hardcore griefers in the Elite world are just salty Star Citizen fanbois.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Here is my Star Citizen simpit

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Quavers posted:

StarCitizenFanInSciFiToilet.gif

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Lord Stimperor posted:

Here is my Star Citizen simpit

Get the Evocati comfort upgrade:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:eyepop:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 16, 2018

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/barthburger/status/1051569839855292416

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dNoUjzTVaY

Tony Z's panel vid is chock full of hilarious dreams and bullshit :laffo:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9or5sz/foip_suggestion_adding_autoblink_after_couple_of/

this is something they should work on right away

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/montoya_test/status/1051534643231625216
https://twitter.com/montoya_test/status/1052267684107378688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The inevitable consequence of space slavery.