Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I know Legends isn't really played around here much but it comes with a free story set during the Great War, and it reveals that the Dominion were basically cheating their asses off by using the Orb of Vaermina to spy on every single Imperial troop movement.

As for Hammerfell, there's a difference between a quick, easy campaign, and a long, protracted guerrilla war of occupation against some of the best warriors in Tamriel, especially when you only succeeded in the quick easy campaign because said best warriors were also fighting amongst each other (Crowns v. Forebears). Even so the Thalmor accomplished most of their goals in the Great War of disintegrating the Empire by removing Hammerfell and sparking unrest in Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sky Shadowing posted:

I know Legends isn't really played around here

With good reason.

My experience attempting to play Legends:
  • Find out it requires the Bethesda launcher. It's fine, I already had it to install the Skyrim SE CK anyway.
  • Cannot log in the launcher anymore: get thrown on an endless loop of having to accept the EULA and when clicking yes the EULA window closes just to reappear again.
  • Download a new version of the launcher, create a new Bethesda account. This time it works.
  • Download Legends. It takes quite a while.
  • It's now finally time to launch the game. Watch the loading screen for a while.
  • Music starts to play. A cryptic error message appears. By cryptic I mean it's just an error code and an OK button. Clicking OK aborts the game.
  • Look up the error code on the web. Find nothing helpful.
  • Give it another try. Same result.
  • Third time's the charm? Nope.
  • Uninstall the game and forget about it.

Recently they've completely changed their client, so I figured maybe I could try it again; but the Bethesda launcher resumed being loving stupid with its endless EULA loop, so just gently caress it forever.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Sky Shadowing posted:

I know Legends isn't really played around here much but it comes with a free story set during the Great War, and it reveals that the Dominion were basically cheating their asses off by using the Orb of Vaermina to spy on every single Imperial troop movement.

Oh boy, building an entire military conquest on top of egregious, repeated use of a Daedric artifact sure doesn’t sound ripe for terrible blowback to me.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Too bad they cancelled elder scrolls forever and it's just a collection of dead orphan ghost games now

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
Maybe theyre taking their time making their engine for the next game polished an.....ahahahah. sorry, couldn't do it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

How dare you people doubt Todd Howard.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
My proof is the last seven years.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

raminasi posted:

Oh boy, building an entire military conquest on top of egregious, repeated use of a Daedric artifact sure doesn’t sound ripe for terrible blowback to me.

Well for lore snippets here I'll bring up the rest of the stuff Legends revealed about the Great War:

- Lord Naarifin, the Dominion general who captured the Imperial City, was a Boethiah worshipper. He was attempting to bring about a Daedric prophecy called "The Culling" by massacring the Imperial City's inhabitants
- A Dremora in service to Naarifin and Boethiah held Goldbrand, and both it and the Eye were removed from their possession during a rescue mission for his friend, a Blade named Tyr, by The Forgotten Hero. Goldbrand was taken, the Eye was either taken at the cost of Tyr's life, or destroyed if you chose to save Tyr instead.
- The Emperor, Titus Mede II, had been injured by assassins when The Forgotten Hero returned to him.
- The Forgotten Hero took the Emperor's armor and led the assault on the Imperial City during the Battle of the Red Ring. He defeated Lord Naarifin (who realized it wasn't the Emperor after a bit), but nobody other than his companions knew the deception.

It is worth noting everything in Legends is presented as a storyteller talking to his companions, and Bethesda so far has been a bit nebulous on whether the stories the guy is telling is the Truth, or if in that one specific instance he was telling a companion what she needed to hear to make a decision. For my part I was a little disappointed, Titus Mede II recapturing the Imperial City with Goldbrand was one of his redeeming qualities to me, and to have that act performed by a player character disappointed me.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Eh that's typical ES lore for you, quite a few of the significant historical events are shrouded in mystery. Doesn't really affect Mede's standing as a brilliant strategist since his decision to evacuate the city before it was sacked was still redeemed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait, the card game has a campaign and a plot? Isn't it just Hearthstone or something?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

It has three campaigns and plots.

One is free and serves as an extended tutorial, in ways. That one is the Forgotten Hero story about the Great Qar. The other two are paid stories for 20 bucks each. One is the Fall of the Dark Brotherhood, detailing the destruction of the DB to the state they find themselves in at the start of Skyrim. The other is Return to the Clockwork City, which is a trip to said locale in the 4th Era, after Sotha Sil is long dead. I haven't played that one yet but I know it offers some insight on Sotha Sil during the events of Morrowind and Tribunal. All three of those feature the same Hero, the Forgotten Hero, as the PC.

There's a third one coming out soon called Isles of Madness (no points for guessing where it is set), but they recently switched clients and companies running the game and reaction to the new client has been... interesting, to say the least. Lots of people are not happy.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Going back to oblivion, I had a working game with a shitload of mods. Then I fiddled around withthe loadorder like an idiot, and now my safegame crashes when I try to leave skingrad.

Is there a way to debug crashes in some way, or do I need to go back to the old loadorder?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Nektu posted:

Is there a way to debug crashes in some way, or do I need to go back to the old loadorder?
LOOT should help you to make a working load order https://loot.github.io/

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

It has three campaigns and plots.

One is free and serves as an extended tutorial, in ways. That one is the Forgotten Hero story about the Great Qar. The other two are paid stories for 20 bucks each. One is the Fall of the Dark Brotherhood, detailing the destruction of the DB to the state they find themselves in at the start of Skyrim. The other is Return to the Clockwork City, which is a trip to said locale in the 4th Era, after Sotha Sil is long dead. I haven't played that one yet but I know it offers some insight on Sotha Sil during the events of Morrowind and Tribunal. All three of those feature the same Hero, the Forgotten Hero, as the PC.

There's a third one coming out soon called Isles of Madness (no points for guessing where it is set), but they recently switched clients and companies running the game and reaction to the new client has been... interesting, to say the least. Lots of people are not happy.

is it worth trying again? can you mute the voice clips?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There doesn't look to be a dedicated Oblivion modding thread any more, so I'll ask here. I remember there being a discussion awhile back about how today's computers were finally powerful enough to unlock or take care of some particularly wonky thing in Oblivion's code and in doing so have the game perform much better now (in that particular way, instead of just the general idea of being much more powerful computers now.) Does anyone remember what I'm talking about and if so do you have more details?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

There doesn't look to be a dedicated Oblivion modding thread any more, so I'll ask here. I remember there being a discussion awhile back about how today's computers were finally powerful enough to unlock or take care of some particularly wonky thing in Oblivion's code and in doing so have the game perform much better now (in that particular way, instead of just the general idea of being much more powerful computers now.) Does anyone remember what I'm talking about and if so do you have more details?

its probably physics

physics relies on some crazy floating point math and is also tied to frame rate. back when people would get huge fps dips youd get things like "plates rocketship across the room". now that everything is a solid 60 its pretty great

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Or maybe scripting: Your basic GameMode block is executed every frame, so with a beefier CPU you could maybe have more complex scripts running while keeping a stable framerate.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arivia posted:

RAM, and the whole cpu-gpu interoperation process as well

the oblivion engine throttles its memory usage by default because, well, computers and graphics cards didn't have much RAM back then. this leads to hugely reduced performance in demanding situations because the engine can't really offload textures & physics to the GPU to the extent you might expect it to, and can't hold as much in memory as it ought to be able to. oblivion can't use that much RAM by modern standards even unthrottled, but for many years (i.e. the era when oblivion modding was in vogue) nobody knew this issue existed, and the engine remained throttled - creating the famous stability problems that everyone with modded oblivion installations ran into routinely.

truthfully, the hardware caught up with what oblivion is able to use effectively only a few years after the game was released, and further improvements on that end have been less meaningful - however, the importance of unthrottling the engine by replacing its heap algorithm wasn't really well-known until fairly recently. doing so will often transform a heaving, crashing, utterly bogged-down installation into a smooth and stable experience - i tried to get a stable FCOM install going in 2008 and could never get it working without constant crashing on cell-transition, but nowadays i can layer all kinds of bullshit straight on top of fcom - maskar's, huge texture packs, lots of map changes, the works - and the game takes it pretty well.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 18, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jazerus posted:

however, the importance of unthrottling the engine by replacing its heap algorithm wasn't really well-known until fairly recently

And how do we do that?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Cat Mattress posted:

And how do we do that?

I assume they’re referring to Oblivion Stutter Remover.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

I assume they’re referring to Oblivion Stutter Remover.

correct

there's a setting in OSR for "heap algorithm" in the ini file. after turning on bReplaceHeap, you change the heap algorithm to 6 to get the best version of the OSR author's custom memory management algorithm, and then increase the allowed size - the optimal size will vary depending on your PC and modlist, so experiment with that number. there are also independent tools that just change how the engine's memory management works, but OSR does a lot of other good stuff that untangles oblivion's poor multithreading so you might as well use it.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 18, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That stuff about the heap was definitely what I was thinking of. The physics stuff is good too, but not the exact thing. Thank you!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any recommendations for good Let's Plays for Skyrim that I can listen to and sort-of watch during work? I have my youtube window hidden behind a few other windows (I'm sort of near my boss), but can listen to whatever.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Melth is doing an LP where he rips Legendary difficulty a new one on a pure mage character; he knows the game inside and out and it's a really good watch if you're interested in informative LPs. He also covers a lot of ES lore in his videos. I stopped watching because he got beyond what I've played in the game and I didn't want spoilers, but it's got my recommendation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Melth is doing an LP where he rips Legendary difficulty a new one on a pure mage character; he knows the game inside and out and it's a really good watch if you're interested in informative LPs. He also covers a lot of ES lore in his videos. I stopped watching because he got beyond what I've played in the game and I didn't want spoilers, but it's got my recommendation.

Bookmarked.

Also, holy poo poo, he did Civ 2? :toot:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Bookmarked.

Also, holy poo poo, he did Civ 2? :toot:
Melth also did an LP of Age of Mythology that rips the game apart in similar fashion. Well, as similar as LPs of an RTS and a first-person RPG can get, at least. The guy certainly knows the games he chooses to LP.

Amusingly enough - speaking of Civ 2 and Skyrim - Brian Reynolds, one of the developers for Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri, is also doing his own LP of Skyrim. It's a fairly standard Khajiit stealth archer playthrough, though, and the main draw of that one is, shall we say, its comedy value.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Here is todd howard in an hour-long interview/podcast from 7 months ago i didnt know about. It's not really specific to elder scrolls, it doesn't reveal anything about future bethesda titles, and todd is in kind of a mildly relaxed "PR mode" for it, but i thought it was interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7gMQLZIxEw

highlights:
- todd reveals most of the Daggerfall books were written by fans from the CompuServe fan community
- todd says that he now cringes at the rotating pie slices Speechcraft minigame from Oblivion
- todd talks about how his kid started to play Skyrim on Nintendo Switch and then got way into mods
- todd openly admits a lot of the lore goes over his head

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Wow Todd, the speech wheels were the best speechcraft has been in your games, making it not only always useful, but actually allowing you to raise it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I really enjoyed the transition from "My son is interested in this giant creative work I've been a part of for so long!" to "Oh god I get enough lore questions at work no discussing Talos at the dinner table."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nasgate posted:

Wow Todd, the speech wheels were the best speechcraft has been in your games, making it not only always useful, but actually allowing you to raise it.

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAHBMj2N5Qs

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I hope his son secretly installs mudcrab tits mods

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Is his son in chess club?

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Nasgate posted:

One of my favorite mods makes speech skill up and affect potency of dragon shouts.

Because that is absolutely a Speech skill. :colbert:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Vavrek posted:

I really enjoyed the transition from "My son is interested in this giant creative work I've been a part of for so long!" to "Oh god I get enough lore questions at work no discussing Talos at the dinner table."

Welcome to the next level of CHIM, Todd.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Alpha Phoenix posted:

One of my favorite mods makes speech skill up and affect potency of dragon shouts.

Because that is absolutely a Speech skill. :colbert:

Thunderchild+ordinator 4 lyf

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Just started playing the Morrowind DLC content for ESO, only visited Vivec City/Balmora/Suran/Seyda Neen so far but the ESO team did such a good job I would just love a Morrowind HD remake based on it

But that will never happen :smith:

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

frajaq posted:

Just started playing the Morrowind DLC content for ESO, only visited Vivec City/Balmora/Suran/Seyda Neen so far but the ESO team did such a good job I would just love a Morrowind HD remake based on it

Just wait for Skywind.

And keep waiting forever...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

frajaq posted:

Hold up, I haven't bothered with ESO for years, and stopped playing before the Morrowind stuff was released... Is it all geographically accurate?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I wish was ESO was playable offline without a subscription. I just want to walk around a bit and see what is up.

ESOO : Elder Scrolls Online : Offline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hold up, I haven't bothered with ESO for years, and stopped playing before the Morrowind stuff was released... Is it all geographically accurate?

It's hilariously squished out (not that I blame the devs), distance between Seyda Neen and Vivec City is like a short jog. Most cities are smaller too (specially Vivec City).

Even if it's kinda different it's so cool, Balmora was one of my favorite cities in TES 3 and seeing how pretty the devs made it in ESO was just :allears: