Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

Go south. Federal donuts has some of the best donuts I've had in the United States (they also do fried chicken), Alma de Cuba, the dandelion, monks Cafe for an insanely good selection of Belgian beers, good dog bar for burgers, and hipcityvedge should be a good start.

Agreed on FD, Agreed on Alma, the Dandelion, especially agreed on Monks (it's owned by the same people who own Grace Tavern) disagree about Good Dog Bar, I think the burger is better at Grace.

Otherwise RE has top picks.

Go to Jim's for a steak. Otherwise, get a REAL Philly sandwich (Italian pork with broccoli rabe) at Tony Luke's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oooops, yeah seconding jim’s

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
You guys are awesome, if I have time to do half of that I will consider it a win. Much appreciated!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Anza Borrego posted:

Hai friends,

I’m going to PHL Thursday for a conference, can I crowdsource good central city dining and entertainment options from you all? It’s been several years since I was there.

Best place I would recommend to eat in Philly is Vernick on Walnut St, you probably won't be able to book but you can usually turn up and sit at the bar.

Alao Zahav is excellent.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

knox_harrington posted:

Best place I would recommend to eat in Philly is Vernick on Walnut St, you probably won't be able to book but you can usually turn up and sit at the bar.

Alao Zahav is excellent.

I thought Vernick was overrated. But Zahav, Zahav is world-class.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
tony lukes is loving boss

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They opened up a shop in my home town Allentown a couple years ago and closed last year, I think? Dunno why since they’re really good.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

loving hell this needs a health warning

disclaimer: I have never eaten a cheesesteak.. but this looks bad

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

knox_harrington posted:

disclaimer: I have never eaten a cheesesteak..

https://i.imgur.com/BHfOqHg.mp4

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

disclaimer: I have never eaten a cheesesteak..

You should.

And if you go to Tony Lukes you also want to consider the roast pork with broccoli rabe and provolone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I thought Vernick was overrated. But Zahav, Zahav is world-class.

Agreed on vernick. Laurel was awesome when we went. Just haven't made it to Zahav yet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

loving hell this needs a health warning

disclaimer: I have never eaten a cheesesteak.. but this looks bad

you get the pork and broccoli rabe there not a cheesesteak

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

You get the steak at JIMS you idiot, not at Tony Luke's!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm going to start calling 350s the trash panda.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

psydude posted:

I'm going to start calling 350s the trash panda.

'cause of the domino mask around the flight deck windows?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Exactly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Shaped more like a ferret, though.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I'm a United flyer from New York / BDL that just got a project in Louisville. Know Delta tends to have a good flight product but worthless points, but how do they compare to AA? Should be able to get a status match for either.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

antiga posted:

I'm a United flyer from New York / BDL that just got a project in Louisville. Know Delta tends to have a good flight product but worthless points, but how do they compare to AA? Should be able to get a status match for either.

American works when compared to Delta for perks/complimentary upgrades at the Plat Pro level. American Plat is not great for cancellations/standby. Miles for American are worthwhile for business/first international redemptions and <500 mi redemptions.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm going to be in Marskesh morroco for like 4 days, first time in Africa or the middle east or whatever please provide advice.

Also I have 3 days in Madrid. Cool things or eats? What hotel to stay in? Was going to blow some points for the intercontinental or hotel indigo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I'm going to be in Marskesh morroco for like 4 days, first time in Africa or the middle east or whatever please provide advice.

Don't try to sneak into the Swedish consulate via the basement. Too many guards.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Really debating if I want to book separate tickets DTW-JFK then JFK to Frankfurt. Last time I did this I got burned but it will literally save my client like five thousand dollars...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Really debating if I want to book separate tickets DTW-JFK then JFK to Frankfurt. Last time I did this I got burned but it will literally save my client like five thousand dollars...

Your client spends more than that on toilet paper every year.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Shame this man

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can probably save your client a ton of money by flying basic economy too.

I would probably book the separate tickets but I'm a broken man. What's it like spending more than $1500 on a trans Atlantic flight?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 20, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

I would probably book the separate tickets but I'm a broken man. What's it like spending more than $1500 on a trans Atlantic flight?

Better than basic economy, but you're still stuck in a metal tube for 6+ hours so you still lose.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I forgot how much I hate Charlotte.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Residency Evil posted:

I forgot how much I hate Charlotte.

At least you’re there on a Saturday and not Sunday.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ask them?

“I want to save you 5k. But if it goes sideways is it critical I am there?”

Make them decide the value proposition if it’s a debate.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Agreed on FD, Agreed on Alma, the Dandelion, especially agreed on Monks (it's owned by the same people who own Grace Tavern) disagree about Good Dog Bar, I think the burger is better at Grace.

Otherwise RE has top picks.

Go to Jim's for a steak. Otherwise, get a REAL Philly sandwich (Italian pork with broccoli rabe) at Tony Luke's.

not a big fan of dandelion except for maybe the decor. Starr does decor well, but I think the food isn't that great (but it's british what should I expect?)

Also, the place at reading terminal for roast pork is good, but the name escapes me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Book DTW to Amsterdam for the delta one suite then amsterdam to frankfurt - that's the move.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vomik posted:

Also, the place at reading terminal for roast pork is good, but the name escapes me.

Diniks and I can confirm it's awesome.

Most places there are great at what they serve.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Vomik posted:

Book DTW to Amsterdam for the delta one suite then amsterdam to frankfurt - that's the move.

Oh nice those are on US-EU now? Had 'em for trips to NRT and PEK earlier this year and they're a pretty swanky tiny cell to play Nintendo in.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

Diniks and I can confirm it's awesome.

Most places there are great at what they serve.

Agreed and I think it’s DiNic’s.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Lote posted:

American works when compared to Delta for perks/complimentary upgrades at the Plat Pro level. American Plat is not great for cancellations/standby. Miles for American are worthwhile for business/first international redemptions and <500 mi redemptions.

Speaking of points, how much more would I get with American vs. Delta I've also noticed Marriott points seem to be much more beneficial.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Tab8715 posted:

Speaking of points, how much more would I get with American vs. Delta I've also noticed Marriott points seem to be much more beneficial.

American copied Delta for earning. It's based on $ spent on airfare. It's the same for each equivalent level. As to reward programs, it can be a wash though American offers cheaper options if you're lucky.

American has relatively cheaper redemption for <500 mi domestic flights and business/first class flights, especially to Asia/Africa. The only problem is that award availability on American is garbage and often you'll be paying more than Delta. Delta has relatively better options to Europe with its partners (Virgin Atlantic, Air France) and Korea but it will cost you some miles. American to Europe is British Airways ($$$ surcharge fees) or Finnair/Iberia (I have never seen one ticket for any flight at the cheapest level :lol:)

Australia has no award availability on either alliance.

American has been very stingy with award availability at the cheapest redemption level recently. If you redeem domestically, it will be 2 connections at the cheapest level. Almost no availability for direct flights.

Lote fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 21, 2018

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Oh nice those are on US-EU now? Had 'em for trips to NRT and PEK earlier this year and they're a pretty swanky tiny cell to play Nintendo in.

Yeah there are 4-5 flights on them now - one of which is DTW-AMS. I added a layover in DTW on my way back from BOM to New York just so I could see what it's like next month. I doubt it'll be as nice as Emirates suite, but I'll take what I can get.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lote posted:

American copied Delta for earning. It's based on $ spent on airfare. It's the same for each equivalent level. As to reward programs, it can be a wash though American offers cheaper options if you're lucky.

American has relatively cheaper redemption for <500 mi domestic flights and business/first class flights, especially to Asia/Africa. The only problem is that award availability on American is garbage and often you'll be paying more than Delta. Delta has relatively better options to Europe with its partners (Virgin Atlantic, Air France) and Korea but it will cost you some miles. American to Europe is British Airways ($$$ surcharge fees) or Finnair/Iberia (I have never seen one ticket for any flight at the cheapest level :lol:)

Australia has no award availability on either alliance.

American has been very stingy with award availability at the cheapest redemption level recently. If you redeem domestically, it will be 2 connections at the cheapest level. Almost no availability for direct flights.

Their redemption rates to Asia are great, though. I was able to get first class tickets on JAL to NRT for 80 or 90k a piece.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vomik posted:

the expensive part of the itinerary is DTW-EU in general due to the complete lack of market competition

sellouts posted:

Ask them?

“I want to save you 5k. But if it goes sideways is it critical I am there?”

Make them decide the value proposition if it’s a debate.

probably a good idea

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

psydude posted:

Their redemption rates to Asia are great, though. I was able to get first class tickets on JAL to NRT for 80 or 90k a piece.

Agreed. JAL is the poo poo. Plus they have nice Japanese whisky after Japan has dialed back on exports. It’s impossible to find now.

The only problem with JAL redemptions is that the 80k tickets are only to Japan or Korea. China is Asia 2 which bumps it up to 110k for first.

I guess you could do a trip to Jeju or Hokkaido from JFK and that would be pretty sweet.

Lote fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the expensive part of the itinerary is DTW-EU in general due to the complete lack of market competition

Hah I noticed that. AMS -> DTW was drastically cheaper than DTW -> AMS