Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still hoping they end up doing something with Rei's deep Dark Side tendencies hinted at in both movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I hope they do what the whole story so far has been about and confirm that the Dark Side isn't real

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if the Rey who walked into the Dark Side Geyser was the same Rey that walked out of it

How do we know she didn't travel to another dimension and was replaced by another version of herself?

Hence why she suddenly doesn't suck nearly as bad at fighting with a lightsaber

Bigger Rey Theory

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bleck posted:

I hope they do what the whole story so far has been about and confirm that the Dark Side isn't real

I remember Legends EU tried that once but nobody liked it so it didn't last. :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Rey is gonna have to kill Reey in Episode IX

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey meets her brother, Roy

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Also, [citation needed]. Stop spreading this baseless loving rumor as if it was fact, you miserable little troll.

Edit: you know what...gently caress it. I'm done with you. You've been so smugly superior about your baseless conjectures, presenting them as fact. You're the modern day SuperShadow and I'm done giving you the time of day. Onto the ignore list you go

From a while ago, but I'll post it anyway, because I'm sure there's been another post just like this since then and I just got back from vacation. I want to sympathize with you, I really do. Because almost half the "Jakku is Tatooine people" are likely just loving with you. Almost half of them mean that they are thematically the same, so who gives a poo poo if they're not the exact same planet according to some story group (which I agree with, that they serve the same story purpose. Because TFA is trying to get you to like new Star Wars the same way you liked the OT, so they wanted Rey to come from "Tatooine", but Tatooine wouldn't feel as remote anymore since we keep going back to it, so they basically just made a new "Tatooine" and called it Jakku. It's the "same planet", but not if you get technical with it, because they still wanted it to feel remote and like our hero was from nowhere.)

And there's a small minority of people who likely actually believe that in the concocted out of nowhere idea that the planet was literally renamed after the fall of the Jabba the Hutt, but isn't supported really by anything in text (it's fan fiction). Sure, it can be "inferred", but to pretend it's the absolute truth is just as asinine as jivjov saying that it's CAN'T be the same planet because the absolute truth says it's not. There is no absolute truth, as has been pointed out repeatedly to jivjov, just your interpretation of what's on screen, and the moment you add "after the fall of Jabba, the planet was renamed", you're making what could be a fun "what if/maybe" into what you say is the absolute truth.

But then you go off like this, and I lose all sympathy for you. Just, like, calm the gently caress down, dude. Throwing insults and petty attacks around do you no favors. Yeah, Wheatloaf constantly insisting that Episode IX will fail and he absolutely knows this, and Rian Johnson's trilogy will absolutely be cancelled and everyone knows this can get annoying, but there are ways to ignore him without blaring, "I will now ignore you." Just move the gently caress on.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

euphronius posted:

Rey meets her brother, Roy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9O3fapKrjI

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bleck posted:

Well, going by George's old ideas; the Dark Side isn't an equal Side to the Force but rather it's corruption. It should be Balance versus Unbalance instead of Light versus Dark. Especially since the first mention of Light Side in the movies was in TFA.

The Luke training in TLJ seems to agree with this interpretation, but who the hell knows.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

And there's a small minority of people who likely actually believe that in the concocted out of nowhere idea that the planet was literally renamed after the fall of the Jabba the Hutt, but isn't supported really by anything in text (it's fan fiction). Sure, it can be "inferred", but to pretend it's the absolute truth is just as asinine as jivjov saying that it's CAN'T be the same planet because the absolute truth says it's not.

You're misunderstanding how storytelling works. Jivjov is not concerned with truth, but with meaning: "what was meant by the author [story group]?"

Like one page ago it was asked how Darth Maul traced the Jedi to Jakku in Episode 1. Plotwise someone in the crew broke opsec and sent a transmission home - but this is never shown, so it's as if Maul is responding directly to the crew's collective doubt in Quigon. Even Obiwan doubts Quigon, and considers surrendering the queen:

Obiwan: What if it is true, and the people are dying?

Maul detects a transmission immediately after that line, flies in... and attacks Quigon. Nobody questions Quigon after that - which is exactly what Palapatine had hoped for. The presence of the scary red-faced guy is tricking the heroes into adopting extreme new tactics. The same thing happens at the end of the film when Quigon is killed: the Jedi decide to train Anakin, even though it's against the rules.

The identity of desert planet is like the identity of the person who sent the transmission. Plotwise it could be the same planet, or it could be a functionally identical planet. We're not shown anything one way or the other. But the truth is in the outcome: in the gap between episodes 6 and 7, sometime after Jabba died, Tatooine became Jakku. That's simply true.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, going by George's old ideas; the Dark Side isn't an equal Side to the Force but rather it's corruption. It should be Balance versus Unbalance instead of Light versus Dark. Especially since the first mention of Light Side in the movies was in TFA.

The Luke training in TLJ seems to agree with this interpretation, but who the hell knows.

Yeah, I remember one older tie-in book (for whatever that's worth) which had the back cover blurb describing how the contents explained "the Force and its dark side" which is something I suppose has always stuck with me when I look at it. There were some comics which referred to "the light side of the Force" and it never quite sat right with me.

I believe Lucas's idea - from some old interview he did when the prequels were coming out, I think, though I don't recall exactly where, only that I read it - was that the Sith were what had created the imbalance in the Force and that "bringing balance to the Force" meant destroying the Sith because they were the source of corruption. The Jedi, in his view, were supposed to agents of the balance rather than agents of the light.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

, sometime after Jabba died, Tatooine became Jakku. That's simply true.

[citation needed]

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The identity of desert planet is like the identity of the person who sent the transmission. Plotwise it could be the same planet, or it could be a functionally identical planet. We're not shown anything one way or the other. But the truth is in the outcome: in the gap between episodes 6 and 7, sometime after Jabba died, Tatooine became Jakku. That's simply true.

Well now you're playing a game of words. "Sometime after Jabba died, Tatooine became Jakku". What you mean by "became" is important. As long as you mean, "in between the release of Episode 6 and 7, for the purposes of the story, Tatooine was turned into Jakku", sure, that is "simply true". If you mean, in universe, they renamed the physical planet of Tatooine to Jakku, like you had two characters in universe talking and one said, "Remember when everyone started calling Tatooine Jakku after Jabba died? That was weird, right? Did we vote on that or something?", I mean, maybe. It's possible, and you can infer that, and it can be fun to discuss the possibility. But you can't say it is "simply true'" As you said, we're not shown one way or the other.

That's the distinction I was pointing out. I believe you are referring to the former, which is fine and what jivjov refuses to accept. Tatooine "is" Jakku. For the purposes of the story, they serve the same purpose, and might as well be the same planet. If Episode IX were to, hypothetically, have Tatooine be shown to be a distinctly different planet for Jakku (unlikely as this would be, because why have two desert planets in one movie, but if they were to be on Tatooine and then head to Jakku, making it clearly they traveled to a different planet), this point would still stand just fine. The other point would not, because now they would be shown, in universe, to be different planets, and we would have now been shown, to quote you, "one way or the other", which, as you pointed out, we have not yet been shown.

jivjov posted:

[citation needed]

You continue to refuse to accept the argument being presented. Which I get, because some people have legit been arguing in bad faith. But I'm starting to think you get what is being said, but just refuse to acknowledge it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

At least he just posts citation needed over and over now, instead of going on insane rage filled tirades about how much he hates religious people, and how we should all be killed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Well now you're playing a game of words. "Sometime after Jabba died, Tatooine became Jakku". What you mean by "became" is important. As long as you mean, "in between the release of Episode 6 and 7, for the purposes of the story, Tatooine was turned into Jakku", sure, that is "simply true". If you mean, in universe, they renamed the physical planet of Tatooine to Jakku, like you had two characters in universe talking and one said, "Remember when everyone started calling Tatooine Jakku after Jabba died? That was weird, right? Did we vote on that or something?", I mean, maybe. It's possible, and you can infer that, and it can be fun to discuss the possibility. But you can't say it is "simply true'" As you said, we're not shown one way or the other.

That's the distinction I was pointing out. I believe you are referring to the former, which is fine and what jivjov refuses to accept. Tatooine "is" Jakku. For the purposes of the story, they serve the same purpose, and might as well be the same planet. If Episode IX were to, hypothetically, have Tatooine be shown to be a distinctly different planet for Jakku (unlikely as this would be, because why have two desert planets in one movie, but if they were to be on Tatooine and then head to Jakku, making it clearly they traveled to a different planet), this point would still stand just fine. The other point would not, because now they would be shown, in universe, to be different planets, and we would have now been shown, to quote you, "one way or the other", which, as you pointed out, we have not yet been shown.

Turn back, you fool! This way lies madness.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

No Mods No Masters posted:

At least he just posts citation needed over and over now, instead of going on insane rage filled tirades about how much he hates religious people, and how we should all be killed

I don't think religious people should be killed. I think religious people need to keep their religions to themselves and 1) stop indoctrinating children into believing religions are factual accounts of history and 2) stop using religion as a basis for lawmaking or a justification for why legal actions are good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov will only accept the validity of Watsonian evidence. He seems insensible to the idea that the rest of us are making Doylist arguments, and obstinately refuses to interpret them as such. For one such as him, there is only one way to read a story - not that other ways of reading are wrong, but they don't even exist to him, and disagreements are errors in applying that one way. This opinion even extends to religious stories.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

You continue to refuse to accept the argument being presented. Which I get, because some people have legit been arguing in bad faith. But I'm starting to think you get what is being said, but just refuse to acknowledge it.

No argument has been presented. Nobody can cite any place where it is explicitly and definitively established that Jakku and Tatooine are the same planet.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

If you mean, in universe, they renamed the physical planet of Tatooine to Jakku, like you had two characters in universe talking and one said, "Remember when everyone started calling Tatooine Jakku after Jabba died? That was weird, right? Did we vote on that or something?", I mean, maybe. It's possible, and you can infer that, and it can be fun to discuss the possibility. But you can't say it is "simply true'" As you said, we're not shown one way or the other.

Again, you are confusing some very different things.

Truth is not found in the plot (i.e. in your blunt exposition). Truth is found in the storytelling.

You are concerned with the entirely-offscreen virtual-universe plot mechanics that objectively explain how the planets became the same. A secret meaning, beneath the surface of the image.

But the planets are already the same, without that stuff.

In truth, there is nothing except what is on the screen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

edit:

PostNouveau posted:

Turn back, you fool! This way lies madness.

Never mind, you're right.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Again, you are confusing some very different things.

Truth is not found in the plot (i.e. in your blunt exposition). Truth is found in the storytelling.

You are concerned with the entirely-offscreen virtual-universe plot mechanics that objectively explain how the planets became the same. A secret meaning, beneath the surface of the image.

But the planets are already the same, without that stuff.

In truth, there is nothing except what is on the screen.

And nothing on screen definitively and explicitly establishes that Jakku is a renamed Tatooine.

thrawn527 posted:

"We're not shown anything one way or the other."

Other than all the various canonical sources that present Jakku and Tatooine as two separate planets.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

No argument has been presented. Nobody can cite any place where it is explicitly and definitively established that Jakku and Tatooine are the same planet.

We have presented Watsonian arguments that demonstrate it is plausible, and Doylist arguments that it is true. Your only counterargument has been to demand a Watsonian argument that it is true. You haven't even tried to show us that it's implausible.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

jivjov posted:

And nothing on screen definitively and explicitly establishes that Jakku is a renamed Tatooine.
Just as nothing on screen definitively and explicitly proves that Luke isn't actually a slightly different Luke from shot to shot, scene to scene.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bongo Bill posted:

jivjov will only accept the validity of Watsonian evidence. He seems insensible to the idea that the rest of us are making Doylist arguments, and obstinately refuses to interpret them as such. For one such as him, there is only one way to read a story - not that other ways of reading are wrong, but they don't even exist to him, and disagreements are errors in applying that one way. This opinion even extends to religious stories.

You know what they say:

Dorothy Sayers posted:

The game of applying the methods of the "Higher Criticism" to ... canon was begun, many years ago ... with the aim of showing that, by those methods, one could disintegrate a modern classic as speciously as a certain school of critics have endeavoured to disintegrate the Bible. Since then, the thing has become a hobby among a select set of jesters here and in America.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

The opening text of Episode 7 refers to Luke's desert planet as Jakku, showing that it has been renamed at some point.

On a slightly related note, one of the last images of Tatooine in Episode 6 is a ship crashing into the side of a dune: Jabba's massive antigravity party bus. Force Awakens calls back to this image repeatedly.

The last three shots of Tatooine from Episode 6 are basically reversed when FN is shot down.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The opening text of Episode 7 refers to Luke's desert planet as Jakku, showing that it has been renamed at some point.

No it doesn't

[quote=Episode VII
THE FORCE AWAKENS]

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts….[/quote]

No mention of Tatooine, no mention of Jakku being "Luke's Planet"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

No mention of Tatooine, no mention of Jakku being "Luke's Planet"

It says, in the same sentence, that Jakku is where Luke was hanging out and leaving clues lying around. 'Old allies' knew to search for Luke there.

Seems that Jakku was Luke's planet.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Jakku is Tatooine trolling is both hilarious and ridiculously stupid.

Also, it's disproven by the canon Star Wars BattleFront 2 video game. Both Jakku and Tatooine are in the game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Jakku" is actually the Huttese word for "Luuke".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

It says, in the same sentence, that Jakku is where Luke was hanging out and leaving clues lying around. 'Old allies' knew to search for Luke there.

Seems that Jakku was Luke's planet.

It says Lor San Tekka is there with a clue to Luke's location; not that Luke himself was there. Please learn to read.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

jivjov posted:

It says Lor San Tekka is there with a clue to Luke's location; not that Luke himself was there. Please learn to read.

It says that Jakku is the place where he discovered that clue, and if Luke hadn't been there, where did the clue come from?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I Before E posted:

It says that Jakku is the place where he discovered that clue, and if Luke hadn't been there, where did the clue come from?

Not a clue; we haven't been told exactly where the map fragment came from yet.

And even if we assume Luke was there and left the map there...that doesn't magically make Jakku into a renamed Tatooine.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

Not a clue; we haven't been told exactly where the map fragment came from yet.

It came from Jakku. That’s where it was discovered.

If Luke was never on Jakku, then someone stole Luke’s map and travelled to Jakku with it.

Your standard of proof gets all fucky here, because there is zero evidence that such a person exists.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Why is Jabba dying an important part of the Jakku is Tattooine meme?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

porfiria posted:

The ruler of the planet being assassinated very probably contributed to the instability that led to the planet changing its name.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

1) It’s a sensible reason for the name change. When Palpatine died, the Empire was renamed the New Republic. (Although, according to Jiv’s logic, there is no definitive proof of this.)

2) Jakkooine is no mere meme.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 16, 2018

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Bongo Bill posted:

The ruler of the planet being assassinated very probably contributed to the instability that led to the planet changing its name.

Nothing ever indicates Jabba rules Tattoine
He is a mere gangster

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He seems to be ruling Jakku in A phantom menace.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

It came from Jakku. That’s where it was discovered.

If Luke was never on Jakku, then someone stole Luke’s map and travelled to Jakku with it.

Your standard of proof gets all fucky here, because there is zero evidence that such a person exists.

Even if Luke was on Jakku, that does not make Jakku Tatooine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Nothing ever indicates Jabba rules Tattoine
He is a mere gangster

It's controlled by the Hutts.