Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

5e would make a terrible (video)game imo
I'd say that as the "do whatever your GM says in lieu of solid rules" edition, a CRPG adaptation that has only a passing resemblance to what's written on paper is the most faithful way to adapt it and could be quite good if it was made by the right people

Nihilarian posted:

The greatest tragedy of 4e is they never made a videogame out of it

this is extremely true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kidkissinger posted:

I'm pretty sure WoW is still very popular.

Lol you owe me a keyboard good sir lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

I'm pretty sure WoW is still very popular.

That joke is old and very worn out and was never funny anyway

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't really consider any RTWP crpg a faithful adaptation considering they are adapting turn-based systems

Serf
May 5, 2011

also wow wishes it was as fun as 4e

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Andrast posted:

I don't really consider any RTWP crpg a faithful adaptation considering they are adapting turn-based systems

Isn't BG pretty much a straight port of ADD?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

kidkissinger posted:

It's RTWP so no

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kidkissinger posted:

Still not turn based unless you go nuts with the autopausing, but otherwise it wasn't bad from a "faithful to mechanics" point

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Azhais posted:

Still not turn based unless you go nuts with the autopausing, but otherwise it wasn't bad from a "faithful to mechanics" point

Even if you pause constantly very little of the combat resembles the actual tabletop game since everyone moves at the same time

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gold box games were faithful adaptations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The most faithful adaptation was probably Temple of Elemental Evil.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Andrast posted:

Even if you pause constantly very little of the combat resembles the actual tabletop game since everyone moves at the same time

Thats actually how it worked back then, which somehow no one ever realizes now . The shift to 3e was a massive change in how combat wss supposed to work and confused the hell out of me for a long time when I couldnt understand discussion in here about movement issues since I always played with dms house ruling the old continuous movement style

Movement happened throughout the round, attacks landed on their initiative once movement was accounted for . Now that the 2e purpleworm site is down I can't link to rules as easily

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 16, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

The most faithful adaptation was probably Temple of Elemental Evil.

Which if you download all the fixes and mods from Circle of Eight wasn't bad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deptfordx posted:

Which if you download all the fixes and mods from Circle of Eight wasn't bad.

Yeah I had a lot of fun with it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

A properly stated caster already has at least either STR 15 or DEX 14, so consolidation at best gives them a +1 to their athletics or acrobatics; it's a nothing.

The only noticeable impact is that it facilitates gishing.
I meant to say starting grapples but I typed nonsense instead.

All the Str-based gishes bar Paladins are kind of rear end, so a solid power buff for them is explicitly a feature. Paladins getting to max out HP, mundane to-hit, and magical to-hit is the only example of an already good class getting a meaningful power boost. All the other power gishes use dex as their non-caster, and switching to str is a trade of initiative and skills for damage and HP. Again, not going to break anything.

It seems like mooshing two attributes together should have bigger ripple effects, but str really is that useless to anyone who doesn't already need it.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
This is gonna be my last noob question for today, if you want to be a gm: how many books and pages do you need to read until your ready to play a game of dnd? and after that, where do you start building your setitng?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Fruity20 posted:

This is gonna be my last noob question for today, if you want to be a gm: how many books and pages do you need to read until your ready to play a game of dnd?

probably about 37 pages

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

4E actually got two games that I remember! Of course one was a... startlingly okay dungeon crawler sorta thing with very simplified mechanics but being a Facebook game by people just wanting to ride that wave with no idea how to profit, it did not survive long. The second one's still going! Neverwinter is a pretty solid MMO based around 4E and while it's a lot more limited than 4E it's a pretty fun game. Until you hit top level and the grind kicks you squarely in the face.

But it would've been nice to get games that features the customization and combat intricacies better, yeah.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fruity20 posted:

This is gonna be my last noob question for today, if you want to be a gm: how many books and pages do you need to read until your ready to play a game of dnd? and after that, where do you start building your setitng?

Less than you think. It's ok to start with something really simple and generic and make it interesting by building it out in directions that interest you and your players. Rich burlews (amazing) order of the stick comic is just that.

The danger of getting right into world building is that it's potentially all wasted since you might start playing and realise it doesn't work with your particular group.

There's a great gm tips thread so go there for more, but as a first try there's nothing wrong with exploring an abandoned ruin based on a mission someone gave your players in a tavern. Cliches are ok.

When you come to do your next session think of an assumption you or the players made and imagine 'what if it was wrong?'

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Fruity20 posted:

If you’re coming into this with no experience worldbuilding or establishing plot hooks, just read the DMG sections relevant to what you’re interested in. Not using all the different planes? Skip that part (etc.) This assumes you have a working knowledge of how to play.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Kaysette posted:

If you’re coming into this with no experience worldbuilding or establishing plot hooks, just read the DMG sections relevant to what you’re interested in. Not using all the different planes? Skip that part (etc.) This assumes you have a working knowledge of how to play.

Been world building since I was a kid. I actually built a setting at some point that was basically berserk meets bloodborne.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fruity20 posted:

Been world building since I was a kid. I actually built a setting at some point that was basically berserk meets bloodborne.

So Berserk.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Darwinism posted:

4E actually got two games that I remember! Of course one was a... startlingly okay dungeon crawler sorta thing with very simplified mechanics but being a Facebook game by people just wanting to ride that wave with no idea how to profit, it did not survive long. The second one's still going! Neverwinter is a pretty solid MMO based around 4E and while it's a lot more limited than 4E it's a pretty fun game. Until you hit top level and the grind kicks you squarely in the face.

But it would've been nice to get games that features the customization and combat intricacies better, yeah.

doesn't count unless its a turn-based rpg with tactical map

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Did u know: Nets use dex to attack?

Brought to you by The Strength Is Useless Foundation.

Serf
May 5, 2011

to be fair, dex should be used for all attacks while strength (which should be merged with constitution) is added to the damage for melee attacks

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

Did u know: Nets use dex to attack?

Brought to you by The Strength Is Useless Foundation.
One of the honestly nice things about 5th ed is that you are allowed to use dex thrown with strength right out of the box.

"Just put some extra muscle into that dagger throw, and things will sort themselves out"

On the other hand, it's amazing how people disbelieving you get DEX mod for damage with finesse weapons seems to crop up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

One of the honestly nice things about 5th ed is that you are allowed to use dex thrown with strength right out of the box.

"Just put some extra muscle into that dagger throw, and things will sort themselves out"

This has been the case since like 3.0, nothing new or amazing from 5e.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arivia posted:

This has been the case since like 3.0, nothing new or amazing from 5e.
Don't we also have "since 3.0"/"gently caress 4th edition" to blame for my second point of "DEX Mod for damage? You are clearly lying!"

Which is also nothing new or amazing from 5th ed, but that's hardly 5th ed's fault in that case (for once).

EDIT: "3.0 did-" being something 5th ed listened to is also why player ranged weapon players have to deal with their own teammates being a detriment to their shots again :sigh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 16, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fruity20 posted:

Honestly not that much. Here are relevant pieces of information:

a.) Know how initiative works.
b.) Know how actions work.
c.) Know what a reasonable difficulty is for a given skill task for PCs of your table's level.
d.) Know just the monsters you need to know.

That's it really. Everything else you can play by ear.

The 'art' of DMing is mostly stuff that books don't cover, or don't cover well. Things like, 'how long should a session be?', 'how much of my own self-indulgent tripe is actually fun for my PCs?', 'how much do I need to prepare in advance', and 'how do I improvise?' Those are things the thread can advise you on but which won't really appear in the book anyway.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Mendrian posted:

Honestly not that much. Here are relevant pieces of information:

a.) Know how initiative works.
b.) Know how actions work.
c.) Know what a reasonable difficulty is for a given skill task for PCs of your table's level.
d.) Know just the monsters you need to know.

That's it really. Everything else you can play by ear.

The 'art' of DMing is mostly stuff that books don't cover, or don't cover well. Things like, 'how long should a session be?', 'how much of my own self-indulgent tripe is actually fun for my PCs?', 'how much do I need to prepare in advance', and 'how do I improvise?' Those are things the thread can advise you on but which won't really appear in the book anyway.

From a player/occasional DM's perspective, make sure your players are involved with some of your worldbuilding. That emotional investment brings their characters to life, and adds little details.

Have the main kingdom/area you want to play in somewhat mapped out, but let them fill in anything not plot central. If they want to be from a far away land, let them go hog loving wild with it. If they want to be a local monk and there's nothing monastic in your plans, let them create that entire monastic order and customs. It'll add details for you to steal from later, as well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Section Z posted:

I don't quite follow this sentence, but if relevant, you cannot use strength to throw a net!

If you're saying it's nice that you can throw melee weapons with strength, that's been the case since 3.x.

But the net is not a melee weapon, it's a ranged weapon with the thrown property and a range of 5 feet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

I don't quite follow this sentence, but if relevant, you cannot use strength to throw a net!

If you're saying it's nice that you can throw melee weapons with strength, that's been the case since 3.x.

But the net is not a melee weapon, it's a ranged weapon with the thrown property and a range of 5 feet.
...Oh god damnit :eng99: I forgot nets are not allowed to be used for melee like in 4th ed because ???

"It's the case since 3.x!" presents yet another stumble. The favorable phrasing gives the impression it's not taking two steps backwards.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 16, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Having the pcs help with world building also takes some of the workload off your shoulders, may give you ideas, and provide hints as to what kind of game (or things within a game) they would like.

Someone talking about the secret conflicts of the nobles may respond differently to spying than the one who writes about pride in the military, or how imps spring fully formed from an abandoned wizard tower and no one can get in and they're causing so many problems!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

imps spring fully formed from an abandoned wizard tower and no one can get in and they're causing so many problems!

Is that a reference to something? It sounds really familiar but I cant put my finger on it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I've been playing D&D since the 90's but I never tried or read anything Planescape related. What's the best way to learn about the setting? Honestly what little I know of it is mixed up with Spelljammer. I tthought they were the same thing for the longest time.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

AlphaDog posted:

Is that a reference to something? It sounds really familiar but I cant put my finger on it.

It's a reference to a Fellowship game I'm playing right now. It's not a public game. You're probably thinking of something else, or you secretly are in a game with me, and if that's the case you should definitely let me know.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
It looks like my FFG Star Wars game is winding down and I'm about to run my first 5e game.

I've already picked up Nort's Universal Martial Maneuvers so that the martial classes will have more buttons to push, but I'm open to suggestions on additional material to incorporate into the game. What classes, player options, or feat books make 5e its best?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Dregs posted:

I've been playing D&D since the 90's but I never tried or read anything Planescape related. What's the best way to learn about the setting? Honestly what little I know of it is mixed up with Spelljammer. I tthought they were the same thing for the longest time.

The planescape setting guide and the Sigil guide would be good starts. I think Fatal and Friends also has some read throughs of some Planescape stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Claytor posted:

It looks like my FFG Star Wars game is winding down and I'm about to run my first 5e game.

I've already picked up Nort's Universal Martial Maneuvers so that the martial classes will have more buttons to push, but I'm open to suggestions on additional material to incorporate into the game. What classes, player options, or feat books make 5e its best?

Xanathar's Guide to Everything and The Sword Coast Adventurer's guide are the primary things that have extra player options.

Volo's and Mordenkainen's have some extra players stuff, but are mainly DM books with a lot of monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fruity20 posted:

read this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z3K_mfkfibJrCeClm2kczfOiA0sSuBIwf9ggBJ9b_Is/edit?usp=sharing

It's less than 10 pages, and you'll be good to go.