Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

But sure, you're right Warren has spent a career ignoring the needs of Native Americans and Tribal Nations
[CITATION NEEDED]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

[CITATION NEEDED]

Here you go!

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/15/opinions/elizabeth-warren-native-heritage-where-has-she-been-moya-smith/index.html

quote:

Why didn't she say anything about the literal attacks on human rights and treaty violations during our fight against the Dakota Access Pipeline in North Dakota in 2016? While water protectors were being shot with water from cannons in freezing temperatures, while dogs were set on Natives protecting their ancestors' graves, and while Natives and allies were locked into "dog kennels," Warren's silence was deafening. While she eventually weighed in with a statement on Facebook, that was rightly and widely dismissed as too little, too late.

Why, up until only earlier this year, hasn't Warren said anything about police brutality in Indian country? Natives are more likely to die at the hands of police then any other demographic, yet for years, her voice -- her allegedly Native voice -- was nowhere to be found.

Why, up until only earlier this year, hasn't she said anything about sexual abuse in Indian country? Native women are 2.5 times more likely to be sexually assaulted than women of any other group, and yet not a peep from Warren about the attack on the people she claims to be a part of.

Do you have some examples of her reaching out and working with Tribal Nations or Native American communities from before her run for president?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Trabisnikof posted:

(You're also probably wrong. After this kind of insult, I don't think those in Native communities or Tribal communities will forget it so quickly.)

Native Americans make up 1% of the US population.

reignonyourparade posted:

It probably won't directly lose her many votes, but it'll much more easily hurt her ability to get young doorknockers out on the street, and that would lose her votes.

It won’t because y’all are seriously overestimating how much staying power this story has when the midterms are three weeks away.

DaveWoo posted:

Agreed, Warren should just quit right now and make way for the new frontrunner:

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/1052283922263011333

just lol if you aren’t voting Kasich / Hickenlooper in 2020

Paracaidas posted:

I'm just waiting for Hamilton Nolan to drop another "Don't Piss on Your Best Friend" column. It has to be coming, right?

More on topic, I'm starting to buy into Garcettimentum. Not because I'm particularly into his platform or politics, but because early word (even outside of frigging Cillizza) is that he's doing a notably competent job working the early states. That'll be especially important this cycle where we're seeing a crowded field and (especially from the last ~36 hours) it looks as if the alt/nonmainstream media has already aligned, almost universally, behind a candidate.

It's tough to generate grassroots momentum in a meaningful, national way when someone has sucked the oxygen out of that ecosystem. I'm guessing the MSM will be craving a male contender who isn't Bernie or Booker, and if it's not Biden, Garcetti seems like as good a bet as any to outlast Bloomberg. I'm hoping we'll avoid the weekly darling cycle we saw with the GOP in 16.

I seriously doubt that the Mayor of Los Angeles is going to be able to distinguish himself among an enormous crowd of better known and better funded opponents.

Maybe he will turn out to be far more charismatic and politically savvy than I imagine, but his candidacy seems like a long-shot compared to Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris, and others.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 16, 2018

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So what about Kamala Harris. She has the highest odds on predictit. I know practically nothing about what she's done in office, other than make a few mealy mouthed comments about 'civility in politics'. I also remember right after she was elected senator someone on these forums said not to count on President Harris because despite winning, she had run a shoddy campaign for senator, though I don't remember any details about that. So I guess the only reason she's getting good odds right now is because South Carolina and California are early states and conventional wisdom would be that she'll do well in both?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Here you go!

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/15/opinions/elizabeth-warren-native-heritage-where-has-she-been-moya-smith/index.html

Do you have some examples of her reaching out and working with Tribal Nations or Native American communities from before her run for president?
since you're joining the right in their weird fetish over warren's heritage, it's probably safe to assume that if she actually had gone out of her way to fight for native populations in places like north dakota, halfway across the country from her actual constituency, you would have whined about it being political posturing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

since you're joining the right in their weird fetish over warren's heritage, it's probably safe to assume that if she actually had gone out of her way to fight for native populations in places like north dakota, halfway across the country from her actual constituency, you would have whined about it being political posturing

No, it is Warren who fetishized her supposed heritage. I'm just disappointed that she both chose to further hurt and insult Native Americans and Tribal Nations just to try and score a political point and at the same time distracting the media from the 2018 race at a critical moment.

But it seems like you now agree with me that she didn't do anything to help Native Americans (including the 37,000 who live in MA) but now you're arguing it would have been a politically bad move if she did?

Edit: Your argument honestly reads like you believe the Cherokee Nation is joining the right-wing in fetishizing Warren's heritage. Do you think their response is incorrect?

https://twitter.com/CherokeeNation/status/1051965527214776321

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 16, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

It won’t because y’all are seriously overestimating how much staying power this story has when the midterms are three weeks away.

It doesn't need much staying power when the demographic in question is specifically politically aware young people, many of whom are going to be quite tied in to racial issues. Maybe it won't matter for them, but I think they're the group most likely to remember it and they're a rather important group just to have a functional campaign.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

No, it is Warren who fetishized her supposed heritage.
if there's anything warren's done while in office, it's play up this issue and her heritage, right?

Trabisnikof posted:

But it seems like you now agree with me that she didn't do anything to help Native Americans (including the 37,000 who live in MA) but now you're arguing it would have been a politically bad move if she did?
what i'm arguing is that you would have been at least as butthurt if she actually had directed special attention to native american issues in our state (37,000 people is a small-to-medium size town here.) that's because, for you, this isn't really about the issue you're ostensibly highlighting, it's an opportunity to be petulant on the internet. you must think everyone here is pretty loving gullible if you expect them to believe that you wouldn't accuse her of fetishizing her heritage if she had directed more attention to issues for native people, even though you are accusing her of that now after not really talking about it until this moment

Trabisnikof posted:

Edit: Your argument honestly reads like you believe the Cherokee Nation is joining the right-wing in fetishizing Warren's heritage. Do you think their response is incorrect?
it might be a correct response if she was using the test as a means to claim tribal citizenship, rather than an attempt to prove that hey, the stories that her family told her about her having some native heritage were actually grounded in reality

none of this is to say that it was a smart political move, only that your attitude about it is both dishonest and batshit loco

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 16, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

what i'm arguing is that you would have been at least as butthurt if she actually had directed special attention to native american issues in our state (37,000 people is a small-to-medium size town here.) that's because, for you, this isn't really about the issue you're ostensibly highlighting, it's an opportunity to be petulant on the internet. you must think everyone here is pretty loving gullible if you expect them to believe that you wouldn't accuse her of fetishizing her heritage if she had directed more attention to issues for native people, even though you are accusing her of that now after not really talking about it until this moment

only that your attitude about it is both dishonest and batshit loco
[CITATION NEEDED]

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So what about Kamala Harris. She has the highest odds on predictit. I know practically nothing about what she's done in office, other than make a few mealy mouthed comments about 'civility in politics'. I also remember right after she was elected senator someone on these forums said not to count on President Harris because despite winning, she had run a shoddy campaign for senator, though I don't remember any details about that. So I guess the only reason she's getting good odds right now is because South Carolina and California are early states and conventional wisdom would be that she'll do well in both?

She's a freshman senator who has distinguished herself by using her 25 years in law enforcement to be a sharp and commanding force in hearings. This same background has made her unpopular among people who note her participation in California's notoriously brutal criminal justice system (at once being accused of being too cautious with her reforms while also doing things like fighting a state supreme court order to release inmates to address prison overcrowding) and her failure to prosecute banks. Her rhetoric in Congress has been solidly progressive but her background is complicated, often criticized, and doesn't hew to a good narrative.

Also, she's a female person of color which makes her unpalatable to certain segments of the Twitter commentariat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Kamala Harris is not particularly remarkable, but she received some very early attention as a contender when she met with a bunch of Democratic donors (who seemed to be courting her as a possible successor to Hillary or something). I would say that she's maybe similar to (or a bit worse than due to the whole prosecutor thing) Gillibrand or something. Better than Biden, definitely worse than Warren.

My current rating for some prominent contenders is something like Sanders >>>>>>>> Warren >>> Gillibrand ~= Harris > Booker > Biden

Avenatti is a bit of a wild card that likely falls somewhere in the range between Sanders and Gillibrand/Harris; I'm not sure if I'd consider him overall better or worse than Warren (since I'm not sure if stuff like "being properly aggressive towards Republicans and willing to mention packing the court, etc" outweighs not having as much cred on issues like financial regulation as Warren).

if there's anything warren's done while in office, it's play up this issue and her heritage, right?

Stuff like this (which Trabisnikov linked in another thread) is pretty damned unacceptable:

Like, you're free to still support her despite this, but there's no denying that it's hosed up to continue to draw the link (since she has no actually-meaningful link with Native Americans).

edit: You can also try to argue "maybe she's not making every individual decision to say/write stuff like this," but if that's the case she still has a responsibility to either address or completely disengage with the issue. (To be honest, the most remarkable thing about this whole situation, to me, hasn't been Warren's own actions/words, but rather the defensive reaction of many Democrats/liberals regarding them.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 16, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Stuff like this (which Trabisnikov linked in another thread) is pretty damned unacceptable:

Like, you're free to still support her despite this, but there's no denying that it's hosed up to continue to draw the link (since she has no actually-meaningful link with Native Americans).

edit: You can also try to argue "maybe she's not making every individual decision to say/write stuff like this," but if that's the case she still has a responsibility to either address or completely disengage with the issue.
i agree that that particular graphic is disrespectful, although i have strong doubts that she personally approved it. i don't think that this is a smart political strategy. that said, the test does actually show that she has native american heritage. a lot like the birther issue, the idea here is just to say that the decade of attacks against her on this question had no basis in reality. just strictly speaking about the facts here, the situation is just as she has always described: her family told her she had native american ancestry. she does, in fact, have native american ancestry.

she has been completely disengaged with this issue since scott "he's one of us" brown first tried to make a mountain out of it in 2012, and through donnie calling her "pocahontas" at every possible juncture. trabisnikov's problem is that he would throw a temper tantrum regardless of how or whether she engaged with the issue of her heritage or with the native population in the state, nicely illustrating why it is that this is a political minefield in the first place

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 16, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

trabisnikov's problem is that he would throw a temper tantrum regardless of how or whether she engaged with the issue of her heritage or with the native population in the state, nicely illustrating why it is that this is a political minefield in the first place

What evidence do you have to back up this claim? Or are you going to keep putting words in my mouth and declaring my opinion invalid because you think you can read my mind?

What did I ever do to you?

Like hell, can you even quote a post where I threw a "temper tantrum"?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my evidence is that while you're getting angry at warren for "fetishizing" the heritage she evidently does really have, and/or for trying to score political points, you also expect me to wholly swallow your implicit claim that if she talked up native american issues throughout her Senate term despite the fact that MA has only a tiny native population, you would applaud without accusing her of the same.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/nandorvila/status/1052322403081019392?s=21

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my evidence is that while you're getting angry at warren for "fetishizing" the heritage she evidently does really have, and/or for trying to score political points, you also expect me to wholly swallow your implicit claim that if she talked up native american issues throughout her Senate term despite the fact that MA has only a tiny native population, you would applaud without accusing her of the same.

You're the one who brought up the phrase "fetishizing" to begin with, by accusing me of it. I'm just disappointed in this obviously stupid and hurtful political move and it makes me think less of Warren as a 2020 candidate.

You've decided that I'm "dishonest and batshit" and it is obvious there's nothing I can do that would convince you that I would support any and all senators doing anything in their power to help Native Americans and Tribal Nations.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
In what world does a single ancestor 6 to 10 generations ago whose name and region is completely unknown of which the only physical artifacts that we know to remain is a section of DNA in a white lady constitute any sort of heritage? Like I'm honestly confused she got back that result and thought "Yeah! I'm technically correct, this will play well".

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The question is whether the test result aligns proportionate to the claims about it she has previously made, which, yes it does.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
White people always are proud to say that they are part (1/32) Native American. I always find it so weird.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The question is whether the test result aligns proportionate to the claims about it she has previously made, which, yes it does.

She claimed that she is "part Native American," and having Native American DNA does not actually make you part Native American in the estimation of anyone who matters. If her only claim was that she had a distant Native ancestor, the DNA test would prove her correct, but her website and the video put out makes claims to "heritage" which she emphatically does not have.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a political organization on earth with greater talent for moronic self-owns than the Democratic Party? Maybe the SPD in Germany or the Lib Dems, other than that I can't think of any

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it blows my mind how many people on this forum don't see this as an unforced error.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it blows my mind how many people on this forum don't see this as an unforced error.

Start banning Avenatti posters now. Just start tonight.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

Don't listen to your beliefs or how other people are interpreting it. Listen to how the candidate herself is spinning it! :)

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

It blows my mind people think this will matter at all after this week

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't know why this has to be explained over and over but it's telling of how her team will respond to anything else in the future.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah I'm not sure this actually... does anything. Maybe hurts? The emotional core of the attack was always "it was ridiculous for this white-rear end white lady to claim a not-actually-lives indigenous identity on a form", and this doesn't do anything to counter that.

If anything, if Warren is (actually or implicitly) defending her choice to check that box by showing "see I have at least one indigenous ancestor", as if that's a defence, and as if every single white person on the continent whose family has been here for three generations couldn't make the same claim, that could actually hurt her in the primary.

The vast majority of white Americans cannot make the same claim, no (whether 1/32 or 1/1024).

Trabisnikof posted:

https://twitter.com/CherokeeNation/status/1051965527214776321

They are absolutely correct; DNA tests have zero bearing on tribal citizenship. In fact the Cherokee nation has no minimum blood quantum, you need to prove you have an ancestor on official rolls (like the Dawes Roll). Warren has never claimed tribal citizenship, so it's a moot point.

pospysyl posted:

She claimed that she is "part Native American," and having Native American DNA does not actually make you part Native American in the estimation of anyone who matters. If her only claim was that she had a distant Native ancestor, the DNA test would prove her correct, but her website and the video put out makes claims to "heritage" which she emphatically does not have.

Her claim is that she has a distant ancestor, and that is true. How you view the word heritage is on the beholder I suppose, but it means an inherited property. Maybe you're taking it to mean specifically cultural heritage? She has never claimed that.

punk rebel ecks posted:

White people always are proud to say that they are part (1/32) Native American. I always find it so weird.

Most white people who say it are lying. But regardless I have seen a few people suggest that "1/32" isn't enough and people will look at you sideways because of it. Weird since the Cherokee Nation Principal Chief (Bill John Baker) is "only" 1/32 native. Of course Warren isn't claiming tribal citizenship or anything beyond "yes, I had an ancestor generations ago".

All that said, I don't find it to be a good political move overall but it does seem to be doing a good job of getting people to trip over themselves trying to argue how much blood is enough.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Just don't run liz.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

they could always vote for Trump lmao

this won't matter after a few days.

It'll be Warren as the eventual candidate. How is that even a question?

:thunk:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It matters to recruiting staff and organisers and volunteers, which is a very large part of the ballgame rn. There's only finite amounts of talent really familiar with IA/NH/NV/SC, and the candidates are going to asking people to give up the next year+ of their lives as they start staffing up. This DNA test, and the way that the Warren team clearly thought this was a masterstroke, is going to give a lot of activists pause about spending the next 16 months in the Warren camp if this is the braintrust.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'll be sure to bring it the gently caress up if she actually goes after Bernie at all.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

It matters to recruiting staff and organisers and volunteers, which is a very large part of the ballgame rn. There's only finite amounts of talent really familiar with IA/NH/NV/SC, and the candidates are going to asking people to give up the next year+ of their lives as they start staffing up. This DNA test, and the way that the Warren team clearly thought this was a masterstroke, is going to give a lot of activists pause about spending the next 16 months in the Warren camp if this is the braintrust.

This is a lot of speculation. When she has a hard time finding volunteers because people for some reason care about this, maybe I’ll be concerned.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

They are absolutely correct; DNA tests have zero bearing on tribal citizenship. In fact the Cherokee nation has no minimum blood quantum, you need to prove you have an ancestor on official rolls (like the Dawes Roll). Warren has never claimed tribal citizenship, so it's a moot point.
Yes, good point, Warren never said anything about citizenship, I wonder if that document talks about things other than citizenship. Let's check it out!

quote:

It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is proven. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage.
Whelp.
edit:

This is a lot of speculation. When she has a hard time finding volunteers because people for some reason care about this, maybe I’ll be concerned.
You think literally "I will be concerned about the goodness of our politicians' actions after I've determined the political impact of their actions" is a good strategy here?

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 17, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Even if it doesn't make a difference politically, it's pretty gross of her, and native groups have made their displeasure clear; this being downplayed or ignored, and the complaints levied at those criticizing her for it, are similarly gross, and it reflects poorly on people whose concern is only dependent on whether it affects the number of votes she gets or not. Things don't have to "matter" for them to matter.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

It's tough to generate grassroots momentum in a meaningful, national way when someone has sucked the oxygen out of that ecosystem. I'm guessing the MSM will be craving a male contender who isn't Bernie or Booker, and if it's not Biden, Garcetti seems like as good a bet as any to outlast Bloomberg. I'm hoping we'll avoid the weekly darling cycle we saw with the GOP in 16.

Something tells me Biden's not going to make it very far. Can't really put my finger on why though.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

People in general will not care, but the people who do still care will be disproportionately represented in those she needs to convince to volunteer. If it makes it hardER to find volunteers without actually reaching the realms of hard, that still falls into the Mattering.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

can you point to gaffes by other candidates that led to a problems in finding campaign volunteers a year later?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

twodot posted:

Yes, good point, Warren never said anything about citizenship, I wonder if that document talks about things other than citizenship. Let's check it out!

Whelp.
edit:

You think literally "I will be concerned about the goodness of our politicians' actions after I've determined the political impact of their actions" is a good strategy here?

Good job quoting more about tribal citizenship while suggesting it is something else I guess?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

Good job quoting more about tribal citizenship while suggesting it is something else I guess?
Your stance here is that when the Cherokee use the word "heritage" it really means "citizenship", but when Warren uses "heritage" it means "inherited property" where the inherited property is "arbitrarily small bits of her DNA"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid posted:

can you point to gaffes by other candidates that led to a problems in finding campaign volunteers a year later?

if you want an example of a candidate's gaffe leading to getting hard up for volunteers a week later there's phil bredesen