Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Trade Urias and play bring Blaze up to play 1B unless he has a terrible spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
1. C: Trade Urias for prospects. Let Lugo and Matheny fight for his spot in ST unless one is a clearly better option for some reason.
2. Non-tender Bradley. Sucks but he's cooked.
3. Plan to start Naylor at 1B... for now. Give BLAZE a look in ST. If he's absolutely killing it, start his season in AAA to make sure it's legit and call him up once he's Super Two if he is. If he struggles, then we let him marinate for another year and look for a potential in-season trade that could bring back a rental 1B as needed.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

1. C: Trade Urias for prospects. Let Lugo and Matheny fight for his spot in ST unless one is a clearly better option for some reason.
3. Plan to start Naylor at 1B... for now. Give BLAZE a look in ST. If he's absolutely killing it, start his season in AAA to make sure it's legit and call him up once he's Super Two if he is. If he struggles, then we let him marinate for another year and look for a potential in-season trade that could bring back a rental 1B as needed.

:same:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there no market for bradley in a trade?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Given that Bradley was something like 7th in HRs for a team with serious power down the order, I'm not sure why you would miss him. Let him go elsewhere, trade Urias and fill from the farm system.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

3rding this.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there no market for bradley in a trade?

None whatsoever aside from salary dumps.

I can't think of an OOTP player that took such a nosedive so fast without an injury being involved.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

:agreed:

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Sydin posted:

I... don't see anything wrong with this.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Update

The trade market for Urias was stupidly soft after he got almost 7m in arbitration. We ended up swapping him for John Malcolm, who I'll describe as a "two outcomes" hitter. He's a plus glove at 1B though, and a lefty, so he'll compete for a spot in ST.

Award winners: Urias, Gold Glove (RIP). Booh, Reliever of the Year. Mejia, FTJ, Williams, and Reynolds won Silver Sluggers. Gore won Cy Young, and FTJ won MVP. And Chubbbb won manager of the year.

CLEAN SWEEP, but no series.....

We now have about $6m to play with this season. We're looking at a $30m a year increase in team salary next year thanks to some big arb numbers coming back.

Exciting Free agents include BRYCE HARPER, who has had two absolute MONSTER seasons the last two years. His initial request is 8 years, 340 million. I'll ask the owner if we can make him a pitch, i'm sure we could squeeze in $40m plus into our salary structure.

Also there's a new guy from Japan, Masuo Nagamatsu, who looks like an MVP caliber bat. He only wants 10 years/140m. At age 29.

I'm just kidding, we can't afford anyone good. I'll try and pick up a decent LOOGY later in the offseason, or maybe we'll find a decent cheap veteran 1B or 2B to come into ST.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What about trading Booh? His value has to be sky high after last season. But he's going to be 31 next season with 3 years left on his deal. Odds are we'll see a decline in the coming years.

It's only $6 million and I'm not saying dump him just to dump him. But I'd be curious if there would be teams willing to just throw top prospects at him. Plus next offseason is going to be a bloodbath with Beer, Gore, and Lewis entering arbitration. So maybe getting a top prospect who can slide in for Beer or Lewis might be a decent financial move.

Plus he blew the save in Game 5 :argh:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

We have an interesting situation, kid. It's gonna sound crazy, but hear me out.

Masuo Nagamatsu ain't signed yet.. He's now asking around $9m a year. He just turned 30, and he'll one of the best power bats in the majors for the next couple of seasons while being solid in either corner. I have him at 65 contact and 75 power...and that power number is conservative. He could hit 50 this year, and OPS over a thousand.

Meanwhile...I'm not liking what I'm seeing from Justin Williams. His bat speed is down and he's losing power...he's still a 70 contact tool, but he's down to a 50 power. He's still a plus glove in left and a batting title contender, but he isn't going to give you 30+ dingers and 40+ doubles anymore, and he never walked much. Still, he's an elite hitter on a cheap, long term deal...that has a lot of value.

I floated Williams around, and found the Phillies. They offered Matt Wallner in exchange for Williams and Ramon Perez. Wallner is a monster goddamn loving bat. He's currently the #13 overall prospect, and he's got a legit 75 power tool. He's hammered AAA the last two years and is more than ready for the bigs...I have no idea why the Phillies didn't have him up last year.

I think you should sign Nagumatsu to a 4-5 year deal, and trade Williams. The fans will hate it at first, but you could be adding two 50 HR bats to your lineup, while filling your 1B hole and freeing up $3m or so, for the cost of a solid corner OF, and a replaceable reliever.

VOTE

Yes or no? Trade the guy who won the last two batting titles? We can only afford (and have room to play) Nagamatsu if we ship Williams.

Amusing note: it looks like Wallner could be a halfway decent pitcher in addition to playing 1B and either corner in the OF.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 17, 2018

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm in

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I say do it because hitting dingers is what this is all about.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

Amusing note: it looks like Wallner could be a halfway decent pitcher in addition to playing 1B and either corner in the OF.

GIMME THE NEW OHTANI

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So, he's got a 92 mph heater with great movement and a 70 curveball. He could legit pitch in the bigs.

lol

edit - make that an 80 curve, I had Pete take a closer look. He could be an average-to-good middle reliever in addition to mashing a ton of homers.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I love this dumb game. Do as Sam Elliot says

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If Pete says Nagamatsu is the real deal, I have to believe him. Especially if Williams is on the decline and is getting 3m more a year. Next year's arb numbers look gross, but the year after is even worse, and I don't think we can afford to lose FTJ, Mejia, or Quantrill right now.

Glad Urias is gone, sad it was for some beans. Ah well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:same:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Opening Day 2023

We pulled off the trade for Wallner and signed Nagamatsu for 5/45, with a team option the last year.

We're predicted to win 113 games.

Great news: Baez made it back early, and was lights out in spring training. Wallner chucked 2 scoreless innings! Also of note: Big Blaze Jordan OPSed 886 in the spring...he may be ready sooner rather than later. Matt Lugo OPSed 933 in the spring and won the starting 2B job. He appears to have matured into an OBP machine with a plus glove, along with some pop.

Opening Day Lineup:
Royce Lewis, SS
FTJ, 3B
Seth Beer, RF
Masuo Nagamatsu, LF
Matt Wallner, 1B
Frank Mejia, C
Matthew Lugo, 2B
Bryan Reynolds, CF

Opening Day Rotation:
Mackenzie Gore
Trey Wingenter (manager insists on him starting despite his poo poo stamina...I think because his changeup developed into a usable pitch)
Cal Quantrill
Michel Baez
Joey Lucchesi

Bullpen:
Booh (CL)
Feltman
Albertos
Munoz
Wick
Wallner
Suarez
Hudson
Gohara

Good news: We raised ticket prices a bit, and attendance is predicted to jump as well...so we're projected to make almost 50% more revenue per game. This puts our projected budget for next year at $174m...which likely means we can squeeze everyone in.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 17, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Opening Day 2023

We pulled off the trade for Wallner and signed Nagamatsu for 5/45, with a team option the last year.

We're predicted to win 113 games.

Great news: Baez made it back early, and was lights out in spring training. Wallner chucked 2 scoreless innings! Also of note: Big Blaze Jordan OPSed 886 in the spring...he may be ready sooner rather than later. Matt Lugo OPSed 933 in the spring and won the starting 2B job. He appears to have matured into an OBP machine with a plus glove, along with some pop.

Opening Day Lineup:
Royce Lewis, SS
FTJ, 3B
Seth Beer, RF
Masuo Nagamatsu, LF
Matt Wallner, 1B
Frank Mejia, C
Matthew Lugo, 2B
Bryan Reynolds, CF

Opening Day Rotation:
Mackenzie Gore
Trey Wingenter (manager insists on him starting despite his poo poo stamina...I think because his changeup developed into a usable pitch)
Cal Quantrill
Michel Baez
Joey Lucchesi

Bullpen:
Booh (CL)
Feltman
Albertos
Munoz
Wick
Wallner
Suarez
Hudson
Gohara

:parrot:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I am almost as invested in this dumb fake team of Padres as I am in my own preferred team of Boston Red Sox who are actually playing postseason baseball.

It is awesome. Nagamatsu's gonna rake.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don't go to any trouble but I was meaning to ask since a few days ago when we played the Braves in the NLDS one season and I looked at the box score and Christian Pache was starting in CF -- what happened to <--- Ronald Acuņa in this universe?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Don't go to any trouble but I was meaning to ask since a few days ago when we played the Braves in the NLDS one season and I looked at the box score and Christian Pache was starting in CF -- what happened to <--- Ronald Acuņa in this universe?

It looks like he just kinda fizzled

..that sucks

big list of players here if you ever want to look anyone else up

Also here's a tactics/rules question: how exactly would we use a guy like Wallner? Like, say he starts a game at 1B...could we move him to pitch an inning in the 7th and bring in a 1B for the exiting pitcher, then move him back to first after his inning?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

oystertoadfish posted:

for some reason that reminds me of bruce chen, noted panamanian, and his killer 'leftball' that kept him in the majors for like 15 years

btw i have some videos of korean players doing bat flips

this one has incredibly bad background music. you may or may not be amused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ggQf5UP4w

even worse background music but it shows off the bat flips themselves better i spose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKQskUmD_eY

korea is a good thing to have around

bruce chen is the absolute loving man

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Also here's a tactics/rules question: how exactly would we use a guy like Wallner? Like, say he starts a game at 1B...could we move him to pitch an inning in the 7th and bring in a 1B for the exiting pitcher, then move him back to first after his inning?

I'd need to see an updated player page for him to know for sure if it would work out but I had a guy similar to him in an online league I was in a few years ago and I DH'd him against righties and benched him against lefties (he had a pretty big split), and set him as my #1 setup man in the bullpen. I think he ended up with ~140 games played by the end of the year so pretty good overall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gonna be hard to DH a guy in the NL West

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bewbies posted:

Yes, in an NL-vs-NL game that would be fine. If you're playing at an AL park you can't do that without losing your DH though.

You can even put the exiting pitcher at 1B for an inning if you feel lucky and don't want to waste a bench player.

edit: in reality this could only ever happen if he started the inning and didn't bat in the previous half-inning (like he was one of the last 2 batters the previous inning so you can be pretty sure he won't have to bat), because he would have to warm up. In OOTP you can disable warmups, which I usually do when I manage individual games because gently caress all that extra clicking, but in this case it's something better respected for realism's sake.

edit 2: Also in reality I don't think anyone would ever have a guy pitch even an inning and then move back to 1B, because even relievers usually go straight to the clubhouse and get their arms iced up and etc. But you can be a visionary! Push the envelope! (Since this is a video game and you don't have to worry about the player and his agent throwing a hissy fit about it)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 17, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gonna be hard to DH a guy in the NL West

it's not my fault we picked the league with inferior rules :shrug:

As far as in game management goes good luck trying to get the sim engine to do anything that involves him moving between playing a position and pitching.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks like our manager isn't letting him pitch even though he's listed in the bullpen, which is devastating.

Also Royce Lewis to the DL AGAIN for 6 weeks. He's the best SS in the game but gently caress if he can't stay on the drat field.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

bewbies posted:

It looks like our manager isn't letting him pitch even though he's listed in the bullpen, which is devastating.

Yeah you can take control of an individual game yourself but you have to set his position to either 1B or RP and an AI manager will never use him the other way as far as I know.

e: in fact the AI manager might ignore it and just set his position back to whatever he wants it to be

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Also Royce Lewis to the DL AGAIN for 6 weeks. He's the best SS in the game but gently caress if he can't stay on the drat field.

If he's a starter in both lineups as a hitter the game will never use him as a pitcher I think.

Although what do you have his listed position at? I think when I had the DH/RP I had his position set as RP, so if you have him set as a 1B/OF then that might be it.

e: this was also OOTP like 14 so the AI to handle it may have changed since then :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
He's listed as our starting 1B in all lineups, and as our #6 (I think) RP. The game engine got updated this year thanks to Ohtani and now recognizes two way players, but I'm really not sure exactly how it works. I'll do some research.

Also it is kind of funny how I uncovered his pitching ability...usually two way players have a slightly different player screen, where it shows both their hitting and pitching scouting report. When I first looked at Wallner's page though, it didn't show anything about his pitching. When I was reviewing his stats though, I noticed he had 0.1 IP in the minors. So, I switched his position to "relief pitcher" to see what his pitching report looked like, and...bam, turns out he has a good fastball and killer curveball. After that it showed him as a two way player.

This is real baseball management people

Also the visual of a manager calling the 1B over to pitch is something straight out of the LLWS and I really love that.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 17, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Which leagues have a designated PR and possibly PH? I've been trying to remember this for days for some reason, but I know that there are some organised baseball leagues where the manager can call in a punch runner once per game without "using him up", by which I mean he can pinch hit later or act as a defensive replacement without penalty; there might be a pinch hitter version of this as well.

I understand why people bitch about the DH, but I can also understand why nobody wants to watch the bloody pitcher hit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

He's listed as our starting 1B in all lineups, and as our #6 (I think) RP. The game engine got updated this year thanks to Ohtani and now recognizes two way players, but I'm really not sure exactly how it works. I'll do some research.

Also it is kind of funny how I uncovered his pitching ability...usually two way players have a slightly different player screen, where it shows both their hitting and pitching scouting report. When I first looked at Wallner's page though, it didn't show anything about his pitching. When I was reviewing his stats though, I noticed he had 0.1 IP in the minors. So, I switched his position to "relief pitcher" to see what his pitching report looked like, and...bam, turns out he has a good fastball and killer curveball. After that it showed him as a two way player.

I know at the very least in 18 you could see their pitching and hitting ratings together on the second (I think) tab on their player page. The big hint for players like that is when you look at their positional ratings on their main player page. If they're a hitter but have a fielding rating at Pitcher it means that they can pitch (this does not necessarily mean they are good at it).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

At least through 18, if you took the time to look for them, in almost every draft you'd be able to draft a 20/20 position player in the 14th round and then convert him into a 45/80 reliever.

Never got 19 so I'm not sure if the Ohtani changes finally put an end to that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's wild, those 2018 sim numbers are very close to real life (exactly 111 games played!) but only gives him 0.8 WAR when bbRef and Fangraphs both have him close to 4. Does OotP use their own weird formula?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That's wild, those 2018 sim numbers are very close to real life (exactly 111 games played!) but only gives him 0.8 WAR when bbRef and Fangraphs both have him close to 4. Does OotP use their own weird formula?

I think bewbies used a file that starts partway through the season so WAR numbers are only calculated from the point he started playing.

Like, look at Trout, there's no way that was only a 2.2 WAR season in 2018.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah I started simming the 2018 season just after the trade deadline, so I think it just started calculating WAR from then on. All the data prior to that was entered manually so it looks like it didn't retro-calculate some of the advanced stuff.

That is also probably why all the 2018 award winners et al were calculated based only on September.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

The spirit of Troy Tulowitzki lives on.

• Locked thread