Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I Before E posted:

Yikes, how did Daniel Radcliffe get dragged into this

He's not very tall or heavy so it wasn't hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

I Before E posted:

Yeah, you'd think he was above costarring with Jim Gaffigan
I dunno, I know he was Harry Potter, in a play nude with a horse or something, and in that one movie with Paul Dano. I've never been like, wowed by daniel radcliffe
he's not exactly christopher lee (or even like, anton yelchin or robert pattinson) and christopher lee did a lot of ridiculous poo poo

and cool poo poo RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9se8i4ujs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I dunno, I know he was Harry Potter, in a play nude with a horse or something, and in that one movie with Paul Dano. I've never been like, wowed by daniel radcliffe
he's not exactly christopher lee (or even like, anton yelchin or robert pattinson) and christopher lee did a lot of ridiculous poo poo

and cool poo poo RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9se8i4ujs

I feel like at one point I knew he was dead but apparently blocked it out. You're a bastard for reminding me.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

It annoys me that it seems like the John Hyams Maniac Cop remake produced by Nicolas Winding Refn and written by Ed Brubaker is probably never going to happen.

I saw the original Maniac Cop in a theater back in June with William Lustig doing a Q&A and I think he mentioned they were waiting for Refn to finish work on his Amazon mini-series before filming it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

A very beautiful pretty boy man on the cusp of becoming a good to great actor? He needs his Fight Club and to take the Jake Gyl + Pitt + Matt route of challenging roles/movies until he breaks and comes out an acting butterfly.

Or do the Arnold route. He is what he is when it works well, like in Thor.

A remake of this with Hemsworth could be great
https://youtu.be/pkAN5rGGP1M

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I have no idea what the gently caress is happening here, but it is marvelous.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a pretty fun movie iirc. Captain Invincible is a retired superhero who’s an alcoholic and he has to come back because Lee is doing something or another. It’s been forever since I’ve seen it. But that song is the highlight

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Here's a reminder that Damon Lindelof's Watchmen re-something on HBO is still happening - a new promotional image of some dude in a fedora and yellow scarf. There's also this:

quote:

The original dozen issues of “Watchmen,” [Lindelof] said in an Instagram post of his own near the end of May, “are sacred ground and they will not be retread nor recreated nor reproduced nor rebooted. They will, however be remixed.”

:jerkbag:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Here's a reminder that Damon Lindelof's Watchmen re-something on HBO is still happening - a new promotional image of some dude in a fedora and yellow scarf. There's also this:

:jerkbag:
This is all the dumb poo poo that DC did with Before Watchmen that helps to suffocate the setting. (Exception being, maybe, OG Nite Owl's mission with Silhouette).

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Watchmen are in DC canon universe now and I occasionally read articles about what is happening next and it all sounds terrible.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its either you play around with it, or you just do a close adaptation. We already got a very good close adaptation a decade ago.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

WB animated movie news:

quote:

Sources tell Variety that Warners and Warner Animation Group (WAG) are in negotiations with “Shaft” helmer Tim Story to direct the new “Tom and Jerry” live-action/animated hybrid. The studio has also brought on Chris Columbus as creative producer on the new “Scooby-Doo” animated movie.

For that film, the plan is to shoot in the real world with animated versions of the familiar cat and mouse duo. Sources also say that since Tom and Jerry didn’t speak and relied on physical comedy to draw laughs, this version will stick to that style and not cast actors to voice the duo. That decision should also help add to the international appeal of the film.

The studio is also making a “Wile E. Coyote vs. ACME” hybrid feature, with Chris McKay from the Lego universe helping shepherd development.

On the animation side, the untitled Scooby-Doo movie is full steam ahead with an expected release date in the first quarter of 2020. Columbus’ interest in the film started when he was developing the “Gremlins” reboot, which he is producing. Insiders say his affection for the character and WB animation was apparent, and he was soon asked to join the production as a creative producer working side by side with director Tony Cervone. Kelly Fremon Craig is writing the screenplay from a draft by Jack Donaldson and Derek Elliott. Matt Lieberman penned first draft.

WAG is also gearing up on its “Jetsons” movie with Matt Lieberman and “Sausage Party” director Conrad Vernon, and is also in deep development on “Flintstones” and “Wacky Races” features.
and Space Jam 2 and Lego Movie 2 but that is just a retread of what we already know.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/tom-and-jerry-scooby-doo-tim-story-warner-animation-1202978052/amp/

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I want it to be a live-action, slavish, shot-for-shot remake of the Tom and Jerry Willy Wonka movie

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ALFbrot posted:

I want it to be a live-action, slavish, shot-for-shot remake of the Tom and Jerry Willy Wonka movie

Is Gus Van Saint doing anything lately?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Surprised they didn't try to snap up known Scooby-Doo quantity James Gunn now he's available. :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jesus, wasn't Tim Story worth a drat once?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Wile E. Coyote, who is well-known for fighting ACME.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Almost Blue posted:

everyone knows you save your biggest villain for the post credits teaser for the sequel

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm here to talk to you about the M.E.E.P. initiative

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Leslie Jones: "I'm hearing something strange on the recorder... what is 'MEEP MEEP'?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Thank god. For a second I thought it was a new live action Scooby-Doo movie. I know it's silly to hold that goofy property sacred, but I really dearly want a great Scooby-Doo movie some day that isn't just a kids movie, isn't a meta take, and isn't a reinvention. I do not trust Columbus to deliver that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Thank god. For a second I thought it was a new live action Scooby-Doo movie. I know it's silly to hold that goofy property sacred, but I really dearly want a great Scooby-Doo movie some day that isn't just a kids movie, isn't a meta take, and isn't a reinvention. I do not trust Columbus to deliver that.

Hey, if you threw in a talking dog and changed a few names around, The Goonies would be pretty close to Scooby-Doo!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

This is all the dumb poo poo that DC did with Before Watchmen that helps to suffocate the setting. (Exception being, maybe, OG Nite Owl's mission with Silhouette).

Darwyn Cooke is a treasure.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shageletic posted:

Darwyn Cooke is a treasure.
Was.

:cry:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Almost Blue posted:

He wants a refund on all those products he bought from them trying to catch the road runner.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BREAKING NEWS! Idris Elba is in the Cats movie.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/idris-elba-cats-movie-adaptation-1202982098/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finally a black cat

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Finally a black cat

If there's ever a Blacksad movie, I hope Idris Elba is considered for the role.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hey, if you threw in a talking dog and changed a few names around, The Goonies would be pretty close to Scooby-Doo!

Well, the dog doesn't talk but Beethoven is already on the Goonies remake case - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3124476/

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

He wants a refund on all those products he bought from them trying to catch the road runner.

From what I understand this is actually the plot. He's finally had enough of them loving him over. I bet the twist is the Roadrunner owns the company.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vince MechMahon posted:

From what I understand this is actually the plot. He's finally had enough of them loving him over. I bet the twist is the Roadrunner owns the company.

Its going to be Bugs and you absolutely know it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tars Tarkas posted:

Well, the dog doesn't talk but Beethoven is already on the Goonies remake case - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3124476/

That actually has a pretty good cast. I guess everyone's got bills to pay.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vanderdeath posted:

Holy poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Vanderdeath posted:

i've never seen anyone be this right about anything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Adapting 'Cats' is like some Day The Clown Cried poo poo. Utterly misbegotten idea, one of the worst things to come off a typewriter since the Nuremberg Laws.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What even is the story of Cats? I could read the synopsis somewhere but I'd rather have a goon explain it to me with the appropriate level of derision and animosity.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A guy in a red cat costume comes to your office with balloons and sings "Happy Birthday, Happy birthday, happy birthday! Happy birthday to you! " Grab your poo stick and chase him out of there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

What even is the story of Cats? I could read the synopsis somewhere but I'd rather have a goon explain it to me with the appropriate level of derision and animosity.

I don't have the first loving idea.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I just read the summary on Wikipedia, twice, and I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lobok posted:

It's based off of a T.S. Elliot set of poems about some junkyard strays his kid called Jellicle Cats (who knows why).
The play is an excuse for a bunch of songs and setpieces about the cats, each with their own backstory and quirks that would rival the most obtuse Sonic fanfic writers -- ooh here's Rum Tum Tugger, a selifish and contrary cat! What a character! Watch out for that magical black cat, Mr. Mephstopheles!! That'a not racist at all!!!

The thin plot concerns itself with the cats picking one of their own to die and be reborn in what they call the Heavenside Layer, so a lot of the song bits end up being sad cries for a shot at a second life. There's, for example, an old cat that used to hang out at a theatre so he's like an Old Hollywood hasbeen and is wracked with palsy and arthritis.

Throughout the play, a hideous gray cat keeps getting shunned by the group. This is Grizabella, who used to be loving hot but now she's past 40 and cant get anyone to call her back and gently caress just die already Grizabella your youth is gone you waste of flesh. She sings ''Memory', which is probably the best known song of the work, and the group decides to pity her and let her be reborn.

It's apparently a great show if you enjoy technical dance, but I was totally lost the time I caught it on PBS.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 17, 2018