Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Hell, at this point I'll be happy with the bball tactics side project they teased back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Barkley 2 isn't really similar to Star Citizen because Star Citizen is an outright scam run by someone who was already previously known to be a completely awful project manager

Barkley 2, meanwhile, is pretty much a case of their ambition overshooting what they can actually do, and the devs deciding to just Duke Nukem Forever the game and release it When It's Done instead of scaling back the game's features and scope to get it done quicker.

e: like, we literally know for a fact that work is being done on Barkley 2, it's just going at an incredibly slow pace because it's like 3 dudes trying to make something bonkers-rear end ambitious. it's kind of more similar to Kenshi or Mount & Blade than it is to Star Citizen.

SC is an absolute lol-factory, but I don't think it is a scam. I mean, they are building a game, and you can even "play" some of it right now. It's just, as you said, that Chris Roberts is a horrible project manager. His pitch for SC is literally exactly the same thing as Freelancer, a project that arrived 2-3 years after they initially projected, and only after Microsoft took over the project and Chris Roberts had left the company (but continued to work as a consultant). So Chris comes back after 10 years out of the business, pitches the exact same game he couldn't make before, and chooses an engine that is entirely unsuitable for it, all because it looks pretty and he is still butthurt that the reaction over Freelancer's reveal was that it was ugly.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Billy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

chris sloberts

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

it's 100% impossible that both

A. The ships that cost hundreds to thousands of dollars are remotely worth the money

B. The game isn't a complete grindfest unbalanced disaster

can simultaneously be true; the game is a scam

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

duke nukem forever wasn’t a “when it’s done” situation. they remade the game several times because the dude would see some new thing in an FPS that they just had to build the game around.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Groovelord Neato posted:

duke nukem forever wasn’t a “when it’s done” situation. they remade the game several times because the dude would see some new thing in an FPS that they just had to build the game around.

It got overhauled and shifted to three or four game engines throughout its dev cycle before Gearbox finally finished it.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don’t even need to go back a few pages to know I’ve probably said this before, but ever since I started following the Star Citizen thread, I get uncomfortable and realize I know something like the sickness of Star Citizen backers. I know on an intellectual level that this project is boned, but the occasional reassurance that Frankie et. al. occasionally do a bit more work on the project in their spare time just fills me with this weird sense of......faith?? that yes, some day, maybe in 2023, the game will finish.

But I know that that’s not true. And part of me just wishes they’d say they failed so that I can close the book on my last backed project from the Geat Video Game Kickstarter Project Bubble of the early 2010s.

But if Barkley 2 does come out, I want there to be a gun that makes the enemy get tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second.

They put out one game for free, so even if nothing ever happens, you net gave them $15 and they gave you one game. You could have given them $0 and still gotten one game, but it's not like you really got screwed.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Dr.Smasher posted:

It got overhauled and shifted to three or four game engines throughout its dev cycle before Gearbox finally finished it.

Yeah the game that finally came out was only worked on for a short time, peoplereally miss that point hard.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

barkley is a psy op by big dorito

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

mmm.. big dorito

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now I'm hungry for a Taco Bell Beefy Crunch Burrito and Mt Dew Kickstart(tm)

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
cabbar burakgazi
e: karl björkland

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 17, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What if Barkley 2 is actually already out? What if, much like Frog Fractions 2, it’s hidden somewhere secret?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vandar posted:

What if Barkley 2 is actually already out? What if, much like Frog Fractions 2, it’s hidden somewhere secret?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Foxfire_ posted:

They put out one game for free, so even if nothing ever happens, you net gave them $15 and they gave you one game. You could have given them $0 and still gotten one game, but it's not like you really got screwed.

lol

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

CYBEReris posted:

barkley is a psy op by big dorito

I will notify Derrick smart to begin his investigation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeXReX posted:

Yeah the game that finally came out was only worked on for a short time, peoplereally miss that point hard.

they shoulda just made the game from that (mostly) phony trailer they put together. it looked cool.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

barekly

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

this is some broke brain justification

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i want a live stream of the barkley devs thinking up ideas for Game. camera will be on they face and every so often they mouth opens like Whoa! :wth:! when they have a win idea

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

They should be posting updates for every new joke they write i dont want any of it to be fresh when I play

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I hope Frankie is at least getting paid for all of his guns

I fear that he's not doing this out of money or love for the project but instead because he signed some terrible contract that has doomed him to single-handedly work on Barkley until its completion

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost
Didn’t Frankie finish the guns like a year ago?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Borgia 2

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

i love doing mental gymnastics to pretend i didn't get ripped off

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I might be confusing this with another dead money-pit but didn't one of the artists join the team by fake-backing for a year's pay during the KS and offering to pay by working for free?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I might be confusing this with another dead money-pit but didn't one of the artists join the team by fake-backing for a year's pay during the KS and offering to pay by working for free?

There were a lot of backers at the$15 level though, not sure you can pick him out from there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it wasn’t totally a ripoff. they made the funniest game ever and we all got to play it for free back in the day.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it wasn’t totally a ripoff. they made the funniest game ever and we all got to play it for free back in the day.

I paid full price for Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it wasn’t totally a ripoff. they made the only funny game ever made and we all got to play it for free back in the day.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Lmao If you pledged at anything lower than the vidcon pack tier

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What cheats the beef?

zinglon's ale
Nov 29, 2004

uh oh

SeXReX posted:

Lmao If you pledged at anything lower than the vidcon pack tier

:getin::respek::getin:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I don’t remember what I pledged because it’s been 15 years.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Lucky rear end in a top hat, you got in on the ground floor. Mad jealous.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
b*rkl*y

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

I'd like to buy an O

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

B_rkloy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo