Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the only thing more boring than reading old books is exercising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Serf posted:

the only thing more boring than reading old books is exercising

There are many things more boring than old books, but exercising definitely is high on the list.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

you say you don't want to read books and yet you read these threads :thunk:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you say you don't want to read books and yet you read these threads :thunk:

Serf posted:

you can't make me read books, but i will read posts

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I read, I exercise, AND I VOTE!

*click*

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
slowly becoming the perfect leftist by listening to audiobooks while doing deadlifts

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
For the people who don't have time to read or think it'd be too hard, I'd definitely recommend some introductory Marx pamphlets and stuff.

Cuz Marx is accessible and so loving disgusted by capitalist society that it bleeds into his every observation, and it's validating to find such a great thinker from so long ago who saw all of this poo poo.

quote:

The need for money is therefore the true need produced by the economic system, and it is the only need which the latter produces. The quantity of money becomes to an ever greater degree its sole effective quality. Just as it reduces everything to its abstract form, so it reduces itself in the course of its own movement to quantitative being. Excess and intemperance come to be its true norm.

Subjectively, this appears partly in the fact that the extension of products and needs becomes a contriving and ever-calculating subservience to inhuman, sophisticated, unnatural and imaginary appetites. Private property does not know how to change crude need into human need. Its idealism is fantasy, caprice and whim; and no eunuch flatters his despot more basely or uses more despicable means to stimulate his dulled capacity for pleasure in order to sneak a favour for himself than does the industrial eunuch – the producer – in order to sneak for himself a few pieces of silver, in order to charm the golden birds, out of the pockets of his dearly beloved neighbours in Christ. He puts himself at the service of the other’s most depraved fancies, plays the pimp between him and his need, excites in him morbid appetites, lies in wait for each of his weaknesses – all so that he can then demand the cash for this service of love. (Every product is a bait with which to seduce away the other’s very being, his money; every real and possible need is a weakness which will lead the fly to the glue-pot. General exploitation of communal human nature, just as every imperfection in man, is a bond with heaven – an avenue giving the priest access to his heart; every need is an opportunity to approach one’s neighbour under the guise of the utmost amiability and to say to him: Dear friend, I give you what you need, but you know the conditio sine qua non; you know the ink in which you have to sign yourself over to me; in providing for your pleasure, I fleece you.)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

GorgonLiker posted:

*looks up from this tweet and blows on a pipe intelligently*

actually when the indigenous mongolians erupted from their homeland on a campaign of slaughter and subjugation that wouldn't be matched until the twentieth century it was incredibly dope and good because they weren't european

same unironically

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JOwyHghsag

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I think people can just read Jacobin to get a pretty good idea what Marxism is about.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GorgonLiker
Oct 7, 2018

Look me in the eyes, at least.

on the other hand this guy's read books and he's still a dipshit

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

he's right

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

not reading books leads one to the path of rudatron, and you dont want that

Serf
May 5, 2011

lol, i mean he's not wrong but at the same time we kinda like it at this temperature

GorgonLiker
Oct 7, 2018

just like it's possible to exercise wrong and injure yourself or turn into a musclefreak, it is also possible to read wrong and drive yourself insane or turn into a brainpervert

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the context is that he said we need geoengineering in order to keep the climate where it is

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

he's being autistic, in the literal, not strictly pejorative sense. its not a big deal

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

there's something called degrowth that's v trendy right now. not sure what it's all about. i won't bother reading about it, bills to pay and what not

GorgonLiker
Oct 7, 2018

Zas posted:

he's being autistic, in the literal, not strictly pejorative sense. its not a big deal

Brain Pervert

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Degrowth, degrowth, degrowth is on fire

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

there's something called degrowth that's v trendy right now. not sure what it's all about. i won't bother reading about it, bills to pay and what not

we're gonna force everyone to reverse puberty

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

gently caress i cant believe alexandria ocasio-cortez killed rosa

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/sunraysunray/status/1051921756091535360?s=19

https://twitter.com/CNNSotu/status/1051464262827290624?s=19

THS
Sep 15, 2017

sanders is social democrat, warren is a liberal. news at 4:20

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Remember the original Original Post of this thread

It contrasted PSL stuff with quotes from Bernie Panders and was funny and good

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Bernie participated in the civil rights protests so I'm gonna make an educates guess and say this is what we call a "public position" in the biz

I don't like it, but he's gotta make an effort to court :decorum:crats

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair a lot of the liberals involved in the civil rights movement were not at all comfortable with the black panthers and other ultraleftists.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Dreddout posted:

Bernie participated in the civil rights protests so I'm gonna make an educates guess and say this is what we call a "public position" in the biz

i would say he is probably deep into being a senator after so many years and it isn't 7th dimensional chess where he has a secret position, but it doesn't matter because he's still way loving better than warren.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Zas posted:

his argument is: technically correct, a deliberate troll and also missing the post

a masterpiece of posting

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slanderer posted:

his argument is: technically correct, a deliberate troll and also missing the post

a masterpiece of posting

when he was in tenth grade he ran for student body president on the platform of being the only candidate to explicitly denounce the actions of nazi germany

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Dreddout posted:

His actual statement was this:

quote:

I am very strongly in favor of mobilizing the American people to stand up and fight for economic justice and social justice and racial and environmental justice. I think we have to mobilize I am not a great fan of being rude or disrupting activities, but this is what I will say. This entire election campaign will come down to two words and that is voter turnout. And if you are out there and you're sick and tired of what's going on, of the very rich getting richer while the middle class continues to struggle, then you are going to have to not only get out and vote but you're going to have to get your friends and families to vote. Four years ago when the Republicans did really, really well. My hope is that people stand up, fight back and get involved in this campaign.

I bolded the single bit CNN just happened to quote him on.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cutting off the full quote from Sanders is extremely disingenuous of CNN

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

what the...? the main stream media silencing or misrepresenting dissent?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zhulik posted:

if you think about it posts are just very small books

UGH! AGH! WHY IS MY SKIN HISSING!? AM I BURNING TO DEATH?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we're gonna force everyone to reverse puberty

some folks go through a second puberty :ssh:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

They added a period where a but is lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

megalodong posted:

His actual statement was this:

I bolded the single bit CNN just happened to quote him on.

yeah, just vote 'em out. that's all it takes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Serf posted:

yeah, just vote 'em out. that's all it takes

Where so I vote to remove Bezos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorgonLiker
Oct 7, 2018