Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Stop the boats

https://twitter.com/latingle/status/1052379620945747968?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

ScoMo is very interesting to me. This is all armchair analysis, but originally I thought he was a conservative; now I think that just like Turnbull he’s an opportunist with no fixed ideals. However, he lacks Turnbull’s self-assuredness so you see him running off down random policy tangents to try to appeal to as many people as possible - see for example his idea for a second Australia Day for Aboriginal people, or the Israeli embassy, or now this Nuclear thing.

Yeah he's always given off fake bravado but now that he's in the hot seat it looks very forced as he tries to pivot to a different image. I think you're right, he is an opportunist and has that dangerous (to himself) kind of ego that says he is his own best manager/minder/publicist. That little boat trophy might sink him, it speaks volumes about his worldview.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/CroweDM/status/1052400899455377408
Do they have anyone that isn't a gross dickhead

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sad Wendigo posted:

I just think he knows he's a dead man walking and he's selling every scruple he ever had in an effort to prevent an electoral slaughter next year.

But then I realised he's mostly responsible for our current asylum seeker situation (we don't discuss on-water matters lol), so he's got no scruples anyway so he'll happily do ANYTHING to help the ultra-conservative elements of the government in any way he can.
It'd be hilarious to watch if it wasn't causing massive ongoing damage to so much in the country. And the planet.

The hard right faction don't like him much because he's stabbed them in the back twice; once for his pre-selection and once when he supported Turnbull.

Right now he's just trying to stay afloat and is flailing around hoping to find a policy to hold on to.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So apperently Naaru is deporting another Australian doctor

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

me at this election trying to differentiate the two main parties

It's hard being a single issue voter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Besides the chief medico?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Morrison is just a walking pile of conflicts.

- The need to appease the Right faction that got him into the job, vs the need to actually do something the electorate wants, e.g. action on Climate Change
- Same as above, but the Business Lobby/ACCI instead of the Right faction
- Being able to show up at Hillsong on Sunday morning without getting yelled at vs actually appealing to the majority of Australians
- Seeking to appear to the left of Tony Abbott despite being directly guilty of gross crimes against humanity WRT the opening phases of OSB

During his first 6 months as treasurer, the dominant feature was the constant floating of sometimes batshit solutions in the media, then their immediate withdrawal by either himself or Turnbull. His idea of consultation is to just spitball poorly-thought out ideas and see which ones are popular. The fact that so many of those solutions were deeply, deeply flawed indicates no real thought or detailed analysis goes into them. There's policy on the run, which is being purely re-active, and then there's Morrison. It goes far beyond just acting re-actively. It's a kind of policy ADD that you won't see outside of the Trump admin.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JBP posted:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2012/05/ketchup_s_chinese_origins_how_it_evolved_from_fish_sauce_to_today_s_tomato_condiment.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is this another Greens chicomm scare story?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Knorth posted:

https://twitter.com/CroweDM/status/1052400899455377408
Do they have anyone that isn't a gross dickhead

quote:

The government has offended Pacific leaders in the past, with Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton caught on camera joking about rising sea levels after a visit to the region.

"Time doesn’t mean anything when you’re about to have water lapping at your door," Mr Dutton said in September 2015.

they even have the video which includes dutton's coloured people time joke that nobody ever mentions :iiam:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

they even have the video which includes dutton's coloured people time joke that nobody ever mentions :iiam:
Remember how ScoMo said the mic was on and he seemed like a really shrewd character? lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"What I did say was that the Pacific is a very good friend and neighbour to Australia. In fact that's exactly what I said to President Tong last night."

loving lol this doesn't sound like liar speak at all.

e: loving, she sounds like a middle manager that's become pissed at a work function and is having a crack at some support workers

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 17, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Is there a single issue that they differ on?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Is there a single issue that they differ on?

idk tax, health, education, transport, internet but those ones arent really important

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

idk tax, health, education, transport, internet but those ones arent really important

Source? I've tried looking at all of these policies but they're all either identical, a variation on a theme, or a promise to simply roll stuff back

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Source? I've tried looking at all of these policies but they're all either identical, a variation on a theme, or a promise to simply roll stuff back

tax - alp say they will keep low income but gently caress high income breaks
health - preserve medicare seems good
education - preschool WHAT ABOUT IMMIGRANTS and whatever Gonski-lite poo poo comes out of December's platform discussion
transport - planned national rail investment
internet - fttp

e: also repealing poo poo things that have been done by the liberal party is good and a different policy seeing as different means not the same

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

There's a difference between hard gently caress the poor and anyone else not a cis white man, and moderate steady as she goes. That's not to say that moderate steady as she goes is any good, but JFC, if you can't distinguish between LNP and Labor at all then I don't know what to tell you.

Labor's policy base is far closer to the Greens than it is to the LNP.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The fftp thing needs a source. I don't think it's going to be economically viable to basically do the expensive part again this decade. They're going to need to look into bridging technologies such as G.fast via FTTC or some other method that doesn't basically rack up another 45 billion correcting the coalition's mistake.

Sure, stop rolling out FTTN and come up with a remediation plan, but FTTC as a solution isn't the worst. It'll take a long time for gigabit to be obsolete, given the cost of international bandwidth.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm going to vote Greens in Gellibrand because it means I get a Labor government as desired but also remain spiritually clean in the eyes of my social media peers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

The fftp thing needs a source. I don't think it's going to be economically viable to basically do the expensive part again this decade. They're going to need to look into bridging technologies such as G.fast via FTTC or some other method that doesn't basically rack up another 45 billion correcting the coalition's mistake.

Sure, stop rolling out FTTN and come up with a remediation plan, but FTTC as a solution isn't the worst. It'll take a long time for gigabit to be obsolete, given the cost of international bandwidth.

Yeah I know. The official position is FTTP but who knows what poo poo they'll have to undo now to get it. The LNP just set up traps for years and years until they get beaten, then all the bombs go off during Labor's run and they are painted as money wasters.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

tax - alp say they will keep low income but gently caress high income breaks
health - preserve medicare seems good
education - preschool WHAT ABOUT IMMIGRANTS and whatever Gonski-lite poo poo comes out of December's platform discussion
transport - planned national rail investment
internet - fttp

e: also repealing poo poo things that have been done by the liberal party is good and a different policy seeing as different means not the same

Ah okay so yeah more of the same, or wind back the clock. Incrementalism is dumb, both parties are keen on the same neo lib bullshit strategy. There isn't any difference between the two parties philosophically, economically or socially. We're just tricked into thinking that the ALP actually stand for something different, when they clearly don't, and are just waiting for the Libs to lose govt, as opposed to actually winning it.

Gonna keep voting Greens 1, ALP Last-1, and LNP Last, but gently caress me it's frustrating having an opposition that isn't actually interested in shifting the Overton window of this country, rather than appearing not to be incompetent (while being loving useless)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Ah okay so yeah more of the same, or wind back the clock. Incrementalism is dumb, both parties are keen on the same neo lib bullshit strategy. There isn't any difference between the two parties philosophically, economically or socially. We're just tricked into thinking that the ALP actually stand for something different, when they clearly don't, and are just waiting for the Libs to lose govt, as opposed to actually winning it.

Gonna keep voting Greens 1, ALP Last-1, and LNP Last, but gently caress me it's frustrating having an opposition that isn't actually interested in shifting the Overton window of this country, rather than appearing not to be incompetent (while being loving useless)

Centre is different to right. The ALP aren't tricking people that vote for them, their base is working class or newer money white people. They are doing exactly what it says on the box.

"There isn't any difference between the two parties philosophically, economically or socially." I dunno mate, why even want an election then, leave the libs in charge forever since it will be the same, should that be your genuine belief.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Yeah I know. The official position is FTTP but who knows what poo poo they'll have to undo now to get it. The LNP just set up traps for years and years until they get beaten, then all the bombs go off during Labor's run and they are painted as money wasters.

Yeah but as we're seeing in WA, it's not been working out for them because they're all absolutely incompetent ideologues.

The Libs and their supporters assumed McGowan would never unfuck the financial mess they left the state in, while also being able to deliver on even half of his election promises, and he's absolutely smashing in new heavy rail services while also getting the budget back into surplus on target.

It's astonishing what capable governments can do when they're not spending every waking hours masturbating into a pile of money.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I mean it's nice that ostensibly the ALP has the support of unions but it's nothing more than a namecheck when you have the official ALP policy be to vote for the TPP as-is rather than actually listen to the unions advice that this fucks over workers.

But it's okay, the ALP brand is still pro-union so they can run on that without actually having to propose their own policies, or challenge the policies of the LNP that gently caress workers over.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Centre is different to right.

Wrong, there is no difference, when the Center is "keep things as they are" and what they are is Right, especially when centrism is just a bullshit shield to hide the fact that they think that right wing policies are actually good

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

"There isn't any difference between the two parties philosophically, economically or socially." I dunno mate, why even want an election then, leave the libs in charge forever since it will be the same, should that be your genuine belief.

Because the Greens exist, and should be in Opposition, and not Labor? Why do you keep thinking on strictly two party terms. There is no point in an opposition party that largely agrees with the incumbent. It's not opposition, it's going along to get along

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Because the Greens exist, and should be in Opposition, and not Labor? Why do you keep thinking on strictly two party terms

Because it's a democracy and saying that the greens are by and large unpopular is being kind.

bell jar posted:

Wrong, there is no difference, when the Center is "keep things as they are" and what they are is Right, especially when centrism is just a bullshit shield to hide the fact that they think that right wing policies are actually good

Maintaining left wing stuff like public medicine is considered centre, but that isn't right wing.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bell jar posted:

You're pretty far off here. While they may not satisfy our collective desire for full communism, now, the ALP are demonstrably better at actual governance of the country, appropriate use of government money, while also actively at least trying to improve the circumstances of the working class, fix education, and deliver useful infrastructure, even if they are miserable at looking after refugees and the indigenous population.

Maybe take a breather.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
speaking of gross dickheads

https://twitter.com/Jodan_Perry/status/1052025836704915456?s=19

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

You're pretty far off here. While they may not satisfy our collective desire for full communism, now, the ALP are demonstrably better at actual governance of the country, appropriate use of government money, while also actively at least trying to improve the circumstances of the working class, fix education, and deliver useful infrastructure, even if they are miserable at looking after refugees and the indigenous population.

Maybe take a breather.

Citation needed. Talking federal ALP here, not state. There is a huge demand for federal icac because it turns out that actually no, people don't trust the MPs of either party to use money appropriately, and act honestly when carrying on Government. An ALP government cannot be working to improve the circumstances of the working class, fix education, deliver useful infrastructure and support tax breaks for business owners, reductions in penalty rates, and standardised testing for kids via NAPLAN. It's not possible, it's counter intuitive

bell jar fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 17, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Citation needed. Talking federal ALP here, not state. There is a huge demand for federal icac because it turns out that actually no, people don't trust the MPs of either party to use money appropriately, and act honestly when carrying on Government.

The last federal Labor government had exceptional credentials when it came to money. Federal ICAC is a no brainer though and should exist.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

So when are you setting up your armed vanguard party comrade

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Certainty, the LNP byword.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 17, 2018

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

bell jar posted:

I'm glad that you preference the Australian Sex Pests and Reds Under the Beds party 1 and Pauline Hanson's One Nation ahead of ALP, comrade

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aesculus posted:

I'm glad that you preference the Australian Sex Pests and Reds Under the Beds party 1 and Pauline Hanson's One Nation ahead of ALP, comrade

I think he lives in one of those areas that only bothers to field weird left instead of weird right parties.

Speaking of which Stephen Jolly creeps me out and is like a commie cartoon character or that Seinfeld guy brought to life.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 17, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

ewe2 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/3VWZYhh.jpg

Certainty, the LNP byword.

I want a pork barrel.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g255060-d2435956-i42877579-Momofuku_Seiobo-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

So when are you setting up your armed vanguard party comrade

As soon as I can find a source of arms tbh

Aesculus posted:

unironically me too, hopefully the ALP will get the message that it's anyone but them

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

If the ALP had a single actual left policy (off the top of my head, let's say, an overhaul of the bulk billing system to make it more attractive for GPs to offer, along with adding dental to medicare) the number of votes in their favour (including mine) would increase dramatically. But Bill Shorten's ALP isn't interested in anything but the status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

If the ALP had a single actual left policy (off the top of my head, let's say, an overhaul of the bulk billing system to make it more attractive for GPs to offer, along with adding dental to medicare) the number of votes in their favour (including mine) would increase dramatically. But Bill Shorten's ALP isn't interested in anything but the status quo.

Why would this dramatically increase the number of voters moving from the liberal party? It's nonsensical.

• Locked thread