Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hmm.

So far no luck on my first theory, and I'm not sure there's any Heart Influence cards in the game.

It looks like you should be able to generate them and upgrade them from vitality in the study verb somehow, using the skill cards.

The final upgrade for each of the skills definitely implies you can do it there, but, well, that's a lost of loving lessons to put together and I wanted to see what the capstone skills did.

spoiler they do nothing and you can't generate influences with them once you've maxed them out

Fortunately I'm on the Moth path so all I need to do is feed half the capital to the Spider Door.

e: thread needs renamed to Cultist Simulator: Will Not, Will Not, Will Not Stop Dancing

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

edit: NM, soaring with the eagles now

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Autonomous Monster posted:

It looks like you should be able to generate them and upgrade them from vitality in the study verb somehow, using the skill cards.

The final upgrade for each of the skills definitely implies you can do it there, but, well, that's a lost of loving lessons to put together and I wanted to see what the capstone skills did.

spoiler they do nothing and you can't generate influences with them once you've maxed them out

Fortunately I'm on the Moth path so all I need to do is feed half the capital to the Spider Door.

e: thread needs renamed to Cultist Simulator: Will Not, Will Not, Will Not Stop Dancing

Your comment was totally in the wrong direction but it allowed me to find the answer! It's embarrassingly obvious!

How to unlock / move on the Heart ascension path:

The intuitive thing to do for your dance once you get the contract with the Ecdysis Club is to dance with Passion. You can also, however, dance with Health.

Before launching that I strongly advise you max out your Health score. The reason will rapidly become obvious.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 17, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Goddamn, so they nerfed the hell out of getting secret histories to do expeditions. Mallery and Chamber of ways give me level 6s now?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Goddamn, so they nerfed the hell out of getting secret histories to do expeditions. Mallery and Chamber of ways give me level 6s now?

I've gotten 10s from Malleary today, I'm pretty sure.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Weird, I just got several sixes in a row.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oh gently caress I just got married.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oh gently caress I just got married.

There's no achievement for that, right? There's not one for (lategame spoiler) having your rival beat you to ascension. YSABET :argh: WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE ASCENSION BUDDIES

WHICH IS WHY I DIDN"T TRY TO MURDER YOUR rear end UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alright how the hell do I make my Change temptation into whatever the Heart one is? Started with the Dancer thing, spent 20 minutes trying to find the new Patron to do the club gig, and now its still just moth.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Alright how the hell do I make my Change temptation into whatever the Heart one is? Started with the Dancer thing, spent 20 minutes trying to find the new Patron to do the club gig, and now its still just moth.

You advance the Heart path by dancing with Health (and the resulting scars) instead of Passion. It'll still call itself Change at least as far as I've gotten (which is like one step in, but enough that it's clearly the Heart Path).

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hmm.

So far no luck on my first theory, and I'm not sure there's any Heart Influence cards in the game.

Surely there has to be a way to get higher-level Heart influence? I've hit a wall with the Heart ascension - I've unlocked the first two animal forms and done the corresponding expeditions but now I can't get enough Heart to make it to the next dance. I guess I could gamble with Lantern cultists but I don't like the odds. Or maybe it's possible to get another Scar somehow?

It's the same temptation for both, you choose between paths by choosing whether to use Passion or Health for Mr Agdistris.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Minor dancer spoilers: I gave Sulochana a secret history in the hopes she would direct me to some strange new location I’ve never been before. She gave me back a Kerisham.

Lady, I can turn histories into Kerishams my own drat self. I have looted that place down to the bedrock.

There's actually a use for that!

She'll skip you straight to the lovely-but-required-for-the-ascension repeatable level even if you haven't opened the other four. This can be handy for the later ascension steps.

Gato posted:

Surely there has to be a way to get higher-level Heart influence? I've hit a wall with the Heart ascension - I've unlocked the first two animal forms and done the corresponding expeditions but now I can't get enough Heart to make it to the next dance. I guess I could gamble with Lantern cultists but I don't like the odds. Or maybe it's possible to get another Scar somehow?

You can rack up three scars, one per dance slot. Just throw Heart into the dance until you can't, and incidentally have like 2 heart for general purpose, which is actually less annoying than having it happen to Passion. I'm not sure about the final stage though, since I lost before finishing my Moth ascension.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So the Heart ascension is the exact same as the change ascension with animal forms and going on expeditions?. That's weak.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

So the Heart ascension is the exact same as the change ascension with animal forms and going on expeditions?. That's weak.

Sadly yes, although at least it's more involved than the original three.

not that it's not hilarious to eat people as Grail

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey Greyjoy shouldn't you be doing the OTHER game that simulates cults?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Hey Greyjoy shouldn't you be doing the OTHER game that simulates cults?

yes, probably

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 17, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I think I glitched my game out. I had the Temptation box sitting on 0 for ages and when I clicked on it it was at -600

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Okay, I finally worked out how your physique skill is supposed to help your dancing.

You can upgrade your contract at the club using your physique skill in the purpose slot. This gives you more ability/scar slots when dancing.

That's probably how you're supposed to get to the higher forms, not dredging for impossible influences.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Okay, I finally worked out how your physique skill is supposed to help your dancing.

You can upgrade your contract at the club using your physique skill in the purpose slot. This gives you more ability/scar slots when dancing.

That's probably how you're supposed to get to the higher forms, not dredging for impossible influences.

Oh, I assumed people had figured that out from clicking on Purpose.

Helpful mechanics reminder from the OP:

quote:

If you don’t know what card to put in a slot, click on it and all the cards you can put there will be highlighted. Same applies when you pick up a card; anywhere you can play it will get a highlight.

then again failing to apply this correctly is how I took so long to figure out the Heart path and was trying increasingly convoluted ways to start it

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 17, 2018

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
The new ascension is Moth based, right? My last ascension before the patch/DLC was Moth.

:negative:

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You can rack up three scars, one per dance slot. Just throw Heart into the dance until you can't, and incidentally have like 2 heart for general purpose, which is actually less annoying than having it happen to Passion. I'm not sure about the final stage though, since I lost before finishing my Moth ascension.

Not sure if I'm missing something but when I did this I got the dialogue for getting a scar but nothing actually changed. Maybe I need to upgrade my health again first?

e: worked this time around, hopefully I won't need to upgrade yet again - no idea where I'll get 8 vitality from

Gato fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 17, 2018

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Also, I'm liking the changes to the Detective path. It plays pretty well with the Rival system so far, as you can keep spamming tentative evidence to earn your detective salary, but if the current troublemaker becomes a nuisance or progresses too much as a rival, you can just investigate the damning evidence to nail him. :whatup:

Of course, I don't know how well that'll work if/when rivals come from my own cult, but yeah.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I’m not sure how the romance and rival stuff works at all. I’m dating a follower after I took her to the club but nothing else has happened.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So when you choose your first scar at the club (by putting in Health or Passion) are you basically stuck with it? Or can you get the other one also?

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

So when you choose your first scar at the club (by putting in Health or Passion) are you basically stuck with it? Or can you get the other one also?

I have both passion and health scars. I also think I may be mixing the heart and moth ascensions bc I've used both health and passion dance forms in my expeditions. Not really sure how that's gonna work out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gato posted:

Not sure if I'm missing something but when I did this I got the dialogue for getting a scar but nothing actually changed. Maybe I need to upgrade my health again first?

e: worked this time around, hopefully I won't need to upgrade yet again - no idea where I'll get 8 vitality from

It's actually less obnoxious to hit it with the new mechanics because you can convert dying vitality into 5-minute-lifetime lessons. You'll probably need to Work with your physique skill to get over the top, but that's fine. I very strongly recommend maxing your physique out before you start down the Heart Path, though, or same for your imagination and Moth.

Demiurge4 posted:

I’m not sure how the romance and rival stuff works at all. I’m dating a follower after I took her to the club but nothing else has happened.

I haven't successfully advanced? the romance yet, but I did get a rival.

Mechanics spoiler:

Certain actions generate Resentment in the involved cultist(s). If it gets too high, they might leave your cult to start their own.

More meaningful mechanics spoiler:

Standing your lover up on a date has a chance to generate Resentment, which is what started Ysabet on the path towards making me lose the game instead of being my ascension buddy. :saddowns:

Jan posted:

The new ascension is Moth based, right? My last ascension before the patch/DLC was Moth.

:negative:

Good news! You can do either Moth or Heart. Like the first three ascensions, the paths are similar.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Minor dancer spoilers: I gave Sulochana a secret history in the hopes she would direct me to some strange new location I’ve never been before. She gave me back a Kerisham.

Lady, I can turn histories into Kerishams my own drat self. I have looted that place down to the bedrock.

It'll turn it into locations tied to the level of the secret history. It's one you can find on your own, but if you don't know the exact spot you need to go to, she'll make sure it's the right one.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's actually less obnoxious to hit it with the new mechanics because you can convert dying vitality into 5-minute-lifetime lessons. You'll probably need to Work with your physique skill to get over the top, but that's fine. I very strongly recommend maxing your physique out before you start down the Heart Path, though, or same for your imagination and Moth.

I haven't successfully advanced? the romance yet, but I did get a rival.

Mechanics spoiler:

Certain actions generate Resentment in the involved cultist(s). If it gets too high, they might leave your cult to start their own.

More meaningful mechanics spoiler:

Standing your lover up on a date has a chance to generate Resentment, which is what started Ysabet on the path towards making me lose the game instead of being my ascension buddy. :saddowns:

That's correct, and you can lower resentment with gifts.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So can you get multiple scars of the same type? I know you can get a Moth and a Heart, but right now with my upgraded club job I have slots for 2 scars, and since I'm going Moth I assume that putting a Heart scar in there doesn't really benefit me?

edit: Possible new mechanic I upgraded to Fevered Imagination using 3 Lesson's Learnt (glimmering) and a Moth 6 influence, so you can probably upgrade all your stats with relevant influences

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

So can you get multiple scars of the same type?

Yep!

If you started as the Doctor it makes your Health or Passion pool rather sad.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do I get another scar? Do I need to talk to the club owner lady again?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Anyone want to expound on how the new skill things work with requiring lore? Also it seems like the change to reason/passion books is a pretty big nerf, but on the other hand it makes reason/passion feel more in-line with health for the amounts I have.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

How do I get another scar? Do I need to talk to the club owner lady again?

Never stop
Never stop
Never stop dancing.

Each time you dance with a not-scar one of them has a chance to get scarred, although not more than one at a time.

ZypherIM posted:

Anyone want to expound on how the new skill things work with requiring lore? Also it seems like the change to reason/passion books is a pretty big nerf, but on the other hand it makes reason/passion feel more in-line with health for the amounts I have.

The only step that "requires" lore is the final one, and your choice of which lore just changes the flavor text as far as I can tell, although it might be relevant in the future, who knows.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Nearly there now, got the last dance form - how much Heart do I need for the last ascension? I can't get it past 15 without the Heart-specific influences which, as discussed earlier, are really hard to come by...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gato posted:

Nearly there now, got the last dance form - how much Heart do I need for the last ascension? I can't get it past 15 without the Heart-specific influences which, as discussed earlier, are really hard to come by...

I lost while trying stuff for a Moth ascension, so I dunno. :saddowns:

Which is, if the influence theory is correct, somewhat easier - you have like a 20% chance of pulling 10-Moth out of the Spider Door.

What about paintings? I keep forgetting those exist and what they can be used for.

I've got a ways left I think before I can finish Heart, and also I'll be seeing if I can get the romance thing going, so I might not test it today.

update: Clovette's (initial) romance dialogue isn't as hilariously creepy as Ysabet and Sylvia

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 17, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I got stuck on my last play through last night as the investigator.

I formed a cult (winter), improved my stats till I had 4 of each minimum (5 reason) and was able to spin my plates for about 2 hours of using my Investigator job to cycle burning files and arresting goons to keep me ahead on the money.

I went through alllll the books the game gave me both auction and book store and amassed a lot of lores including a 8 power Moth.

But I couldn't get anywhere. My Temptation: Power stayed the way it was no matter how much Dreaming I did. I tried with different lores and with stats. The best I could do was shuffle it occasionally with Passion. The tool tip kept saying if I dreamt enough I'd get to advance it and I know at level 2 you can use work to advance it again but it was forever stuck at level 1.

Was this a bug?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

I got stuck on my last play through last night as the investigator.

I formed a cult (winter), improved my stats till I had 4 of each minimum (5 reason) and was able to spin my plates for about 2 hours of using my Investigator job to cycle burning files and arresting goons to keep me ahead on the money.

I went through alllll the books the game gave me both auction and book store and amassed a lot of lores including a 8 power Moth.

But I couldn't get anywhere. My Temptation: Power stayed the way it was no matter how much Dreaming I did. I tried with different lores and with stats. The best I could do was shuffle it occasionally with Passion. The tool tip kept saying if I dreamt enough I'd get to advance it and I know at level 2 you can use work to advance it again but it was forever stuck at level 1.

Was this a bug?

If you burn the files as a detective, you're stuck. Or at least were in previous versions.

Although if you're cycling them, maybe you can do something with them?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If you burn the files as a detective, you're stuck. Or at least were in previous versions.

Not anymore! :eng101:

Sounds like you're not doing the right thing to confirm that temptation. Try talking to a like-minded individual... Assuming you haven't arrested all of them, that is!

(That does make me wonder, if followers are limited, can you arrest all potential followers as detective and run out of cultist fodder?)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Scars count as tools, which is pretty handy early on if you want to do rites and stuff and haven't found a bunch through expeditions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

Scars count as tools, which is pretty handy early on if you want to do rites and stuff and haven't found a bunch through expeditions.

Oh yeah, my first scar in my current run turned my entire Heart cult into disciples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'yo check out this gnarly knock i got the other day out at chet's place'