Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Of course Johnny would choose acting

Johnny being an off and on actor has been part of the Fantastic Four for a long rear end time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The series where he became a fireman was a pretty inspired idea. You'd think they would go back to that well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
He should be a singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38VBv0ZenZU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Edge & Christian posted:

That's also a valid/slightly more charitable read on it, but it's still a dating app that was apparently capable of producing perfect soulmates that no one would think weren't human and their end goal was to... steal technology in order to [______________]
It's been awhile since I read the series but I remember it being wall to wall "sexist jerk gets figuratively and literally poo poo on by the targets of his completely unfounded white/male supremacy" but also I thought there were a ton of bad Secret Wars mini-series that had very little going for them outside of like high-fiving themselves for coming up with FIN FANG DOOM or VENHAM or I don't even know, it's a wacky mash-em-up that writes itself!

I read Where Monsters Dwell fairly recently (I had never actually read the final issue) and I think you could be actually illiterate and still pick up that the main male character is intended to be a gross buffoon who gets just desserts constantly just by the action on the page and his poo poo-eating expressions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Marvel Knights 4 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Afterlife with Archie, CW's Riverdale, Netflix's Sabrina) is about the Fantastic Four losing all their money and their home and they have to get jobs. Ben works in Construction, Sue becomes a teacher, Johnny tries to go back to acting, and Reed tries to math them out of it with him realizing that some problems can't be solved like equations so he goes and gets an ordinary job at a computer company. The series deals more with the family and personal angle of their struggles and I really enjoyed it.

Rhyno posted:

The series where he became a fireman was a pretty inspired idea. You'd think they would go back to that well.

Same series, I think. Doesn't Johnny also become a firefighter in that and everyone hates him because when he was the Torch he was always causing most of the messes they had to clean up?

Was that series meant to be in continuity with the main FF books? I never remember what the status was for Marvel Knights.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I guess that's it for X-Men Red. Dang. :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is this new news?
There's an all ages Black Panther comic written and drawn by Kyle Baker in IDW's new solicits.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10/17/turtles-ponies-ghostbusters-kyle-baker-black-panther-idw-january-2019-solicitations/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zachack posted:

I read Where Monsters Dwell fairly recently (I had never actually read the final issue) and I think you could be actually illiterate and still pick up that the main male character is intended to be a gross buffoon who gets just desserts constantly just by the action on the page and his poo poo-eating expressions.

Yeah, but I think the last issue he just doesn't. I remember him escaping and it made it seem like he had won over those drat FEMALES. I remember it was gross, and I have since sold them away.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm shocked, shocked by this out of nowhere revelation in Life and Times of Captain Marvel

For reals though, I think it's fine, makes sense, and let's Carol stand as her own hero more completely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is this new news?
There's an all ages Black Panther comic written and drawn by Kyle Baker in IDW's new solicits.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/10/17/turtles-ponies-ghostbusters-kyle-baker-black-panther-idw-january-2019-solicitations/

It might be news that it's written and drawn by Kyle Baker, but its existence is definitely not news. I recall the responses being "how embarrassing for Marvel!"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

James Stokoe has art on the Venom annual and like everything else he does it owns.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
That Luke Cage Everyman story was bad. If they bring it back I hope they get a better writer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

JordanKai posted:

I guess that's it for X-Men Red. Dang. :(

Aw dammit i missed that. They finally totally took Gabby away from Tom. Rip

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

Aw dammit i missed that. They finally totally took Gabby away from Tom. Rip

She'll just have to hang out with Spider-man then.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo, Thor. Holy poo poo! :stare:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

cant cook creole bream posted:

She'll just have to hang out with Spider-man then.

I'm trying to think of a character that wouldn't be improved by teaming up with Gabby and I'm coming up empty.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

IUG posted:

Yeah, but I think the last issue he just doesn't. I remember him escaping and it made it seem like he had won over those drat FEMALES. I remember it was gross, and I have since sold them away.

It did no such thing. He tricks another tribe into making a useless all-or-nothing attack on the women as a distraction, finds the parts he needs to repair his plane, and escapes... only to end up stuck on a different island that's even worse.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Nadia is back!
She and her friends are so excited to use killer drones for chemical warfare. The fact that they define the real world chemical makes it kinda weird.

Diet Poison posted:

I'm trying to think of a character that wouldn't be improved by teaming up with Gabby and I'm coming up empty.
Captain Marvel maybe? I don't really hate Danvers, but I just can't think of a way those two would play of each other. Actually, come to think about it, she was in the final future arc of all new Wolverine wasn't she? I honestly forgot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy poo poo, Thor. Holy poo poo! :stare:

I really do think him and Cates are just trying to one up each other with crazy last page reveals.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Shuri and wasp and the last page of Thor, oh my

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I didn't really care for that book, but the last page of Weapon Hex was a nice surprise too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What won't akira do for a buck

site fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 18, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That's a slight updating of the time Stan Lee hung out with KISS and the members of KISS put their blood into a comic Marvel published starring them.

A proud Marvel tradition!

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Captain Marvel maybe? I don't really hate Danvers, but I just can't think of a way those two would play of each other. Actually, come to think about it, she was in the final future arc of all new Wolverine wasn't she? I honestly forgot.

Phone posting but I think she was in the arc with the giant lizard too. At least I remember Laura wearing a Captain Marvel shirt at the end of it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

fffuck no x-men red was one of the few books i'm still buying

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Some thoughts on the closeout to cage

Still skeptical of having the bad guy be anticapitalist

I was wondering how the marvel u would on a broad scale deal with the introduction of cte as a thing heroes could get, but you know what, magically handwaving it away and saying actually he never had it at all so they can dismiss the ramifications and never get brought up again was absolutely not the right way to go about dealing with a serious topic like that

I'm starting to realize that except for like defenders all books about Jessica feature Luke and all Luke books feature Jessica but there aren't any books about Luke and Jessica and i think that needs to change, it kinda bugs me

radlum
May 13, 2013
Wasp was pretty good, I miss Elsa's art but Gurihuru are so good I shouldn't be complaining.

Also, interviewing someone even younger than Nadie who clearly has a lot of interest in science, and with her own YouTube channel about it, was very nice; makes all the stuff about GIRL feel a lot more genuine.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

I didn't really care for that book, but the last page of Weapon Hex was a nice surprise too.

OneTwo-shot comics don't make for enough breathing room, really, but the last page did get me pumped for the next issue. Also, I didn't realize how much I needed a cross between Magik/Sabretooth/Kimura in my life.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So happy Wasp is back. I was too into Ying singing Tegan and Sara.

Red ending isn't surprising, but still sad. Hopefully Gabby and/or Laura will be frontline in the new Uncanny once they team is settled.

Or They can start a new New Mutants/Young Avengers team.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

That's a slight updating of the time Stan Lee hung out with KISS and the members of KISS put their blood into a comic Marvel published starring them.

A proud Marvel tradition!

That's kind of a relief in a way, all I could think was it being a reference to that recent hosed up story about someone taking Stan Lee's blood to print comics in.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

site posted:

What won't akira do for a buck

"They've got fans from Wakanda to Timbuktu"

So they're popular in a stretch of central Africa? Cause like Timbuktu is in Mali.

Edit: I'm guessing the writer knew that, I just like the sly geography joke.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 18, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there any truth to the internet rumor Marvel is trying to make costumes on licensed stuff less skimpy, or is it just horny internet guys complaining about nothing as usual?

One example I saw whining about is an upcoming Emma Frost costume in Future Fight:
https://twitter.com/Marvel_FFightUS/status/1052031376889864192

The comic version didn't have the top, she just had her jacket fashioned taped to her nipples.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pretty sure that's exactly what she wore during the Bendis X-Men run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Pretty sure that's exactly what she wore during the Bendis X-Men run.

I think she had a bit more boob showing but that is essentially it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There were 2 versions depending on the artists.

Sometimes it was just a jacket that magically clung to her chest and sides, and sometimes it was basically a corset with an opening in the middle and the jacket was more cape-like.

She didn't have anything like that sports bra though. So now she's not showing cleavage which SJWs :argh: etc. etc.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Aphrodite posted:

Is there any truth to the internet rumor Marvel is trying to make costumes on licensed stuff less skimpy, or is it just horny internet guys complaining about nothing as usual?

It's probably not Marvel per se. A lot of western developers are toning down the fan service lately in all products, particularly in casual-market games like Future Fight, because they've been convinced that it'll help them pull in a larger female audience.

For example, check out the character design moving from the 2011 Mortal Kombat to 2015's Mortal Kombat X.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Wanderer posted:

It's probably not Marvel per se. A lot of western developers are toning down the fan service lately in all products, particularly in casual-market games like Future Fight, because they've been convinced that it'll help them pull in a larger female audience.

For example, check out the character design moving from the 2011 Mortal Kombat to 2015's Mortal Kombat X.

I have no interest in falling into any more money traps after Marvel Heroes was shut down, but...there are female characters who don't need skimpy outfits and look better without them so this is a rather logical trend on paper, yet there will always be a few exceptions.

Trying to tone down Emma Frost of all people sounds silly, given her personality and modus operandi. Especially since she'll still continue to have several revealing costumes in the comics, more often than not, depending on the issue.

In this case the modified clothes still show plenty of skin, either way, so their guidelines for the game probably include a specific rule about covering up chests. Evil, evil chests.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 18, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've never played future fight but from that tweet, it just sounds like it's a costume you can use, but not the only one? So you can still be sexy Emma frost and not not-as-sexy Emma frost if you want?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

site posted:

I've never played future fight but from that tweet, it just sounds like it's a costume you can use, but not the only one? So you can still be sexy Emma frost and not not-as-sexy Emma frost if you want?

I'm not the target audience for the game either, so I don't know. Probably the same thing goes for other costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

Honestly, that's basically a palette swap of her default costume.