Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Why would this dramatically increase the number of voters moving from the liberal party? It's nonsensical.

Why do you assume that the liberal party is the only source of people who don't vote labor? What is with your two party brain my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

bell jar posted:

Why do you assume that the liberal party is the only source of people who don't vote labor? What is with your two party brain my dude

Do you understand how two party preferred/preferential voting works?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Besides, at some point someone has to start normalising left-wing ideas, because the right-wing one keep the poor poorer and gently caress the planet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

Ok then they come from the greens and it's the same outcome? Who are these other voters that are clamouring to flip marginal seats from the LNP to aid left wing policies and don't have the option of voting green?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1052389485177122819?s=19

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1052446887087939584

That swing though.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Aesculus posted:

Do you understand how two party preferred/preferential voting works?

I certainly understand that there are a large number of Greens voters that preference the Libs over Labor, who may be convinced to do otherwise through good policy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

I certainly understand that there are a large number of Greens voters that preference the Libs over Labor, who may be convinced to do otherwise through good policy

lol

E: Sorry but lol thinking that a greens 1 lnp 2 voter has anything in their head that makes sense or reacts to good policies.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Ok then they come from the greens and it's the same outcome? Who are these other voters that are clamouring to flip marginal seats from the LNP to aid left wing policies and don't have the option of voting green?

If enough people who vote for other parties, vote for Labor, yeah dude, you can absolutely change the outcome of a seat. Give people something that they want (cheaper/more available healthcare) and it doesn't matter if it's left wing or not, because people actually want poo poo that benefits them

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It would be pretty funny if they lose the seat after the way they were sure they were going to beat out Labor in those other bi-elections (and then tried to act like they knew it wouldn't happen.)

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

lol

E: Sorry but lol thinking that a greens 1 lnp 2 voter has anything in their head that makes sense or reacts to good policies.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-15/preference-flows-at-the-2016-federal-election/9388826

You can see that preferences from Greens -> Labor have been shifting to Greens -> Liberal in the last couple of federal elections. I'm sorry that your echo chamber life doesn't expose you to people who vote Greens/Liberal, but they exist. And they've been growing. Labor can absolutely reverse that trend.

e: looking further into the article, it looks like Greens -> Liberal voters were steadily decreasing until Bill Shorten became opposition leader, where the trend reversed

bell jar fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 17, 2018

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Labor marches in lockstep with the Liberals on asylum seekers and gambling. They’re useless.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-15/preference-flows-at-the-2016-federal-election/9388826

You can see that preferences from Greens -> Labor have been shifting to Greens -> Liberal in the last couple of federal elections. I'm sorry that your echo chamber life doesn't expose you to people who vote Greens/Liberal, but they exist. And they've been growing. Labor can absolutely reverse that trend.

e: looking further into the article, it looks like Greens -> Liberal voters were steadily decreasing until Bill Shorten became opposition leader, where the trend reversed

So replace shorten and remove unions I guess.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

bell jar posted:

That trend is 1% over 3 years, and in 2013 it was Tony Abbott in charge. While Shorten could be the swing back it was also that Turnbull got i nto power in late 2015 who would appeal more to the Tory Tories than Shorten would anyway. At the next fed election, with Shorten against the Muppet Morrison i'm wagering on a .5 swing back aagin because Shorten's still useless but Morrison won't appeal to Tree Tories.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

lol

My mother in law is very much a Liberal voter but voted Greens at the last election and probably will at the next based purely on refugee policy.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Labor marches in lockstep with the Liberals on asylum seekers and gambling. They’re useless.

100%

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

My mother in law is very much a Liberal voter but voted Greens at the last election and probably will at the next based purely on refugee policy.

How was her previous 30 years of tolerating the other stuff

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/greens-mp-withdraw-nauru-question-about-killing-kids

Greens MP Adam Bandt was told he had "overstepped boundaries" with a question on why the government is "slowly killing kids" on Nauru, and was forced to withdraw the comment in parliament

gently caress this government.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

BANDT: I am prepared to rephrase the question ... Why is the government slowly killing these children?

SPEAKER: The member for Melbourne needs to withdraw, a rephrase doesn't do it. There is one rule for everyone I'm afraid.

BANDT: I withdraw that part of the question.

SPEAKER: Thank you.

Shouldn't have withdrawn it, what could they have done to him if hed refused?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He would have had to eat lunch at Anning's table in the cafeteria.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/BrianMitchellMP/status/1052455113275703296

government falling apart (even more)

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Why the gently caress did she vote confidence in herself, surely she of all people must know how hosed she is. Further evidence of her incompetence.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Starshark posted:

Why the gently caress did she vote confidence in herself, surely she of all people must know how hosed she is. Further evidence of her incompetence.

She likes the benefits, she's not a name and she'll go back to being so far underground we'll forget she exists.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

wouldn't green to alp flow put alp infront of phelps?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

wouldn't green to alp flow put alp infront of phelps?

Because a lot of them are going to go to Phelps, and there are enough votes from other parties to matter a lot too.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

How was her previous 30 years of tolerating the other stuff

I don't know the details of her voting history to say, but it's an issue that she cares about to the extent she and my father in law took in an Afghan refugee a few years back.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because a lot of them are going to go to Phelps, and there are enough votes from other parties to matter a lot too.

It seems unpredictable as gently caress to me.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

What do the bookies say dav?

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

bell jar posted:

Are you sure that's because of Labor tilting right and not the Greens tilting right and explicitly appealing to 'sensible moderates'?

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 17, 2018

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

bell jar posted:

A lot of things might have happened between the 2013 and 2016 elections, not just the Labor leader (bear in mind the Labor leader at the 2013 election was ??? TO DO: google labor leaders) also the 'reversal' is a single percentage point and the 'trend' is one election

I don't get the fuss over these 20% of Greens voters preferencing Libs, it's enormously in favour of Labor and I think it's most likely they're dumbshits who wouldn't be convinced by anything Labor does

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Aesculus posted:

Are you sure that's because of Labor tilting right and not the Greens tilting right and explicitly appealing to 'sensible moderates'?

I agree, the Greens could do a lot more to garner votes for themselves too

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

A lot of things might have happened between the 2013 and 2016 elections, not just the Labor leader (bear in mind the Labor leader at the 2013 election was ??? TO DO: google labor leaders) also the 'reversal' is a single percentage point and the 'trend' is one election

I don't get the fuss over these 20% of Greens voters preferencing Libs, it's enormously in favour of Labor and I think it's most likely they're dumbshits who wouldn't be convinced by anything Labor does

The point is there's 1/5 Greens voters that could be persuaded to vote ALP over the Liberals, and more from other minor parties, too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

It seems unpredictable as gently caress to me.

It absolutely is, although I can't see the ultimate result being anything other than Sharma or Phelps.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that despite compulsory voting there's still a fair percentage (5? 8?)% who either never show up on election day, vote informally or donkey vote. If Labor or the Greens can manage a strong Corbyn-esque campaign to get them to actually care and vote properly that could not only counteract the centrist voters who swing to the other side but may actually tip an election entirely.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

bell jar posted:

The point is there's 1/5 Greens voters that could be persuaded to vote ALP over the Liberals, and more from other minor parties, too.

I don't think so, if you look at preferences from other minor parties there's evidence of people who just seem confused more than anything else. No minor party has preferences flowing as strongly to a major party as do the Greens to Labor

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Aesculus posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that despite compulsory voting there's still a fair percentage (5? 8?)% who either never show up on election day, vote informally or donkey vote. If Labor or the Greens can manage a strong Corbyn-esque campaign to get them to actually care and vote properly that could not only counteract the centrist voters who swing to the other side but may actually tip an election entirely.

This is another important point and absolutely true. I'm going off the top of my head here but weren't donkey votes hugely increased in the most recent federal election? I wouldn't be surprised if it rises again after the horrendous continuous round of by-elections we've had this cycle. I considered donkey voting last election because the federal seat I'm in is so heavily Liberal that it feels like there's no point. I can imagine that there are a whole bunch of people that didn't push through that and actually vote last time. I just have to hope that my one vote is part of a greater trend in my electorate (not fuckin likely lmao)

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/TheLyonsDen/status/1052470972756852737?s=19

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Aesculus posted:

I think that's already happened with the non-binding marriage survey. The libs signed their death certificate by putting that to public vote. Everyone 18+ that couldn't give a gently caress about politics is now on the electoral roll, and people who already were, like me, joined a party. The first branch meeting I ever went to, the oldheads were astounded that there were double the amount of people in the room than usual outside election season and I live in deep lib territory.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I don't even know what this slander is meant to convey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

I don't even know what this slander is meant to convey?

Gay panic.

• Locked thread