Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunk Nerds posted:

Just spitballing here, I bet it has an evolutionary component related to women doing more of the childcare
You slack off while watching kids, those kids can get hurt/killed super easy. So the moms who were stricter had more babies live

:biotruths: must be right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Anybody who wants to know more about running a crematorium should read Caitlin Doughty's "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" which is an excellent book and goes into a lot of detail. She also does "Ask a Mortician" on Youtube and probably has some videos about it as well.

Ask a Mortician is a pro click.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ewe2 posted:

I think one of the reasons the Knight case keeps resonating is the mystery inside her head. It could well be that she is an unconscious sexual manipulator from a violent background but isn't that all guesswork still? All the sources of the story I've found all seem equally baffled.

I can't find the source right now, but I remember reading about how a psychiatrist who interviewed her came away commenting on how little inner life she had, and that she had little to no introspection on her own activities and operated on pure instinct to a shocking degree. Now this, coupled with her illiteracy and inability to carry on conversation would suggest that maybe she had some kind of mental disability, but she was reported to be quite a skilled worker, and was known to stew for weeks or even months plotting elaborate, and reportedly quite effective, revenge for real and imagined slights. Her actual level of intelligence is, obviously, a matter of some debate.

The impression that I got is of someone who lived in a constant state of high anxiety and stress from a very early age. That anxiety would manifest as explosive anger at the slightest conflict, which she learned very early could be diffused with sex.

I don't think that she consciously manipulated, but instead that she was absolutely driven by a mind full of anxiety that literally propelled her through life at such a pace that introspection was impossible.

But yeah, of all the unnerving people I have read about, her mind is one of the most fascinating.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not really related other than in an adjacent to evolutionary psychology way but apparently male gorillas love to babysit children no matter whose they are and also lady gorillas find that attractive in a mate.

I learned that today

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Not really related other than in an adjacent to evolutionary psychology way but apparently male gorillas love to babysit children no matter whose they are and also lady gorillas find that attractive in a mate.

I learned that today

Does the gorilla still have you? Do you need someone to come get you?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The whole woman watching kids thing is dumb as all hell because literally everyone else also watches them. Slightly older kids, elders, injured men, men who didnt go out hunting, other women if the mother is busy, etc etc etc.

And watching is often as simple as "Make sure child does not wander off and get eaten".

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

The whole woman watching kids thing is dumb as all hell because literally everyone else also watches them. Slightly older kids, elders, injured men, men who didnt go out hunting, other women if the mother is busy, etc etc etc.

Oh I didn't know that. I did some research right now, and learned that prehistoric human were a lot more communal about a lot of stuff like this. Okay, I see how what I said doesn't make any sense

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Oct 17, 2018

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well to get this back on track maybe, I just finished Dr. Death and all the interviews and :catstare:

how in the gently caress did that take so long

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pirate Radar posted:

Does the gorilla still have you? Do you need someone to come get you?

Lmao I wish I had done that on purpose.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fruit BOO!ts posted:

I learned that today

There's a tribe of chimps that, I forget how or why, but all the super aggressive males died out (in a war or just through being hyper aggresive with each other), which left all the less aggressive males there and it literally entirely changed how it interacted with itself and others. Became a lot more social, less murderous, more cooperative in child rearing and foraging, and the tribe will cut out and punish any member that tries to bring back the super aggressiveness.

It's a really neat story, I should find it again

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Drunk Nerds posted:

Oh I didn't know that. I did some research right now, and learned that prehistoric human were a lot more communal about a lot of stuff like this. Okay, I see how what I said doesn't make any sense

No worries, I apologize for being aggressive about it. It happens in modern day as well, just so you know.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Tashilicious posted:

There's a tribe of chimps that, I forget how or why, but all the super aggressive males died out (in a war or just through being hyper aggresive with each other), which left all the less aggressive males there and it literally entirely changed how it interacted with itself and others. Became a lot more social, less murderous, more cooperative in child rearing and foraging, and the tribe will cut out and punish any member that tries to bring back the super aggressiveness.

It's a really neat story, I should find it again

this sounds neat

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was wrong, it was Baboons

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/13/science/no-time-for-bullies-baboons-retool-their-culture.html

quote:

Among a troop of savanna baboons in Kenya, a terrible outbreak of tuberculosis 20 years ago selectively killed off the biggest, nastiest and most despotic males, setting the stage for a social and behavioral transformation unlike any seen in this notoriously truculent primate.

In a study appearing today in the journal PloS Biology (online at https://www.plosbiology.org), researchers describe the drastic temperamental and tonal shift that occurred in a troop of 62 baboons when its most belligerent members vanished from the scene. The victims were all dominant adult males that had been strong and snarly enough to fight with a neighboring baboon troop over the spoils at a tourist lodge garbage dump, and were exposed there to meat tainted with bovine tuberculosis, which soon killed them. Left behind in the troop, designated the Forest Troop, were the 50 percent of males that had been too subordinate to try dump brawling, as well as all the females and their young. With that change in demographics came a cultural swing toward pacifism, a relaxing of the usually parlous baboon hierarchy, and a willingness to use affection and mutual grooming rather than threats, swipes and bites to foster a patriotic spirit.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's a phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" which is claimed to originate from Africa, the point being that it takes an environment not simply a parent to mold a person.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
“It takes a child to raise a village” 70 foot tall toddler tasked with constructing gigantic Lincoln Log village to house refugees from the great floods

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fruit BOO!ts posted:

I learned that today

I have bad news: while most of this translates to human women, human women are not satisfied with a three inch dick.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

“It takes a child to raise a village” 70 foot tall toddler tasked with constructing gigantic Lincoln Log village to house refugees from the great floods

Wasn't this a story from Book of Blood volume 1 by clive barker

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tashilicious posted:

that book owns

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tashilicious posted:

If it is I want to read it

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I thought the story in books of blood was 2 villages strapping all their sturdiest villagers together to build 2 giant villagers to fight against each other every 15 years. drat that story was cool.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Untrustable posted:

I thought the story in books of blood was 2 villages strapping all their sturdiest villagers together to build 2 giant villagers to fight against each other every 15 years. drat that story was cool.

IIRC it was basically every village, *and the villages themselves*, in a giant naked-person-strapped-with-wood-and-tarps mecha fight in the middle of the hills.

EDIT: every villageR

Tashilicious has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Oct 17, 2018

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMrwtnNE9Hg

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ok that’s way cooler than my idea

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That needs an :nws: warning, by the way.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jedit posted:

That needs an :nws: warning, by the way.

I dunno how many workplaces play your youtube videos at full volume for everyone to hear

NMS though probably. Clive Barker has a very vivid descriptive talent.

I still remember reading Midnight Meat Train. gently caress.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Pretty much every other Clive Barker story is "There was an ancient evil, so we all hosed.".

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I don't really have anything to say about this besides read Robert Sapolsky's book "A Primate's Memoir" if you find this interesting.
He is good and cool.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

This is fascinating btw, thank you for this

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah. It's amazing when an animal we consider to be beneath us in every way somehow manages to solve toxic masculinity and violence culture.

I would like to think we could do the same with our own, and rape culture, without requiring the literal extermination of the manly men running it. It's a nice dream.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Tashilicious posted:

Yeah. It's amazing when an animal we consider to be beneath us in every way somehow manages to solve toxic masculinity and violence culture.

I would like to think we could do the same with our own, and rape culture, without requiring the literal extermination of the manly men running it. It's a nice dream.
In Robert Sapolsky's book he actually talks about being extremely horrified when he witnesses a male baboon rape a female. :(

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tashilicious posted:

Source your terrifying quotes please.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

In Robert Sapolsky's book he actually talks about being extremely horrified when he witnesses a male baboon rape a female. :(

He's not a Republican then, or he'd vote for it.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
also back to apes bonobos are more genetically similar to us than chimps but nobody points to them instead and throws their hands up saying "its just in our biological nature"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quite stretched out posted:

also back to apes bonobos are more genetically similar to us than chimps but nobody points to them instead and throws their hands up saying "its just in our biological nature"

What? Last I read, bonobos and chimps split after humans had already split off.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought there was also a troop of chimps that kind of did the same thing. Like they had a leader that was a bully and they all turned on him and the new leader was the laid back cool chimp that groomed everybody. At work or I'd look for it.

Either way, I think humans have already bred the really really bad bullies out and we're working on the rest. Obviously there's still problems, but we're getting more and more empathetic as time goes on.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

quite stretched out posted:

Equally genetically similar.

But, yeah, all types of social organization are represented in primates. The :biotruths: folks just cherrypick the ones that confirm what they want to be true for humans.

One of the best books I have ever read is Baboon Metaphysics by Cheney and Seyfarth. Cheney is a primatologist and Seyfarth, her husband, is a psychologist. While they were out on Cheney's fieldwork, they came up with the idea of adapting human psychology experiments to the baboon population. The results may surprise you!

Also, anything by Frans de Waal is 100% worth reading.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Oct 17, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jedit posted:

He's not a Republican then, or he'd vote for it.
The last thing I saw from him was a lecture on how our brains are way to complex for gender to be binary. I know you're joking but I just really wan't people to read Sapolsky because he's an amazing and empathetic human being who has some interesting things to say that he explains in an easy to understand kind of way. :kiddo:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Jedit posted:

I have bad news: while most of this translates to human women, human women are not satisfied with a three inch dick.

Thank you for sharing your struggles, friend

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neat, let's try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Either way, I think humans have already bred the really really bad bullies out and we're working on the rest. Obviously there's still problems, but we're getting more and more empathetic as time goes on.

Ahhahahahaha... Oh, man. Good stuff.