Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Rajaah posted:

What's the hold-up? Legitimately interested to know.

I had other obligations on CoC’s raid nights. My friends and I also multiboxed raids (which wasn’t a dealbreaker, per se), and the reports from CoC people that we did off night stuff with about mains being sat out because CoC has a priority system/officer’s friends who get to raid and doesn’t really split bosses.

The raid nights did it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
Dumb question but do they start offering a new TLP backpack bundles when new expansions come out? I don't think I want to start playing on Coirnav until Luclin/PoP but I'd like to start with as many big bags as I could get so I'd be willing to log in just to buy the bag offered now.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Rajaah posted:

With all of this talk of quitting as if there's no other option, I'm curious as to why so few WT have shown up in CoC. We've finished at #3 multiple expansions in a row (and will very likely finish at #2 in SoF), we use DKP, we're an efficient and well-oiled machine that spends time testing expansions prior to launch to ensure we post a good performance, we have plenty of mains with no reliance on boxes, and we don't have a toxic guild environment. This covers every problem I've seen brought up on here.

What's the hold-up? Legitimately interested to know.

Probably a combination of friends following friends and your raid time. WT/AoS used to start raids at 7pm EST till it got eventually moved to 8.30pm to accommodate a few PST's. People didn't hate it but much preferred 7pm. OGC also has the #1 status now so I'm sure people wanted to stay in the #1 guild. You got Boog though. Solid as gently caress player.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Edit: wrong buttoned.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'd also heard reports of CoC officers abusing/gaming the dkp system during one of the expansion launches. Made up somewhat arbitrary rules that the officer crew knew they could complete to ensure they got first crack at some stuff. This was a while back, like when MIM merged in I think?

Not that I've been looking for a guild since then, but was one of those things I've remembered.

I don't know where I'll go if/when Entendre is done. I have no interest in vocal far right officer chatter in OGC, nor shady CoC officers (although that might not be the case there, but I do have an old BDA friend there now who can tell me if that's still going on.... But Tofu might be there too and I'd prefer to never hear his voice again).

Entendre always had a good relationship with WT/AoS so that's kind of where I assumed we'd end up at some point far off in the future. Maybe they'll have reformed by then.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

koreban posted:

Glowers was an OGC officer. Some people loved him, others hated him. It was real cliquish.

OGC is Original Gangster Club or some awful poo poo right? God dammit. I wish I had picked a different name

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Solarin posted:

OGC is Original Gangster Club or some awful poo poo right? God dammit. I wish I had picked a different name

Yup. Formerly Citizen of Fippy server fame.

Worst named guild that everyone thinks is a gimmick, but it’s totally not.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

*guildleader requires guildies to emote kneel and kiss his hand to receive PoTime piece*

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

khysanth posted:

*guildleader requires guildies to emote kneel and kiss his hand to receive PoTime piece*

One of the goons was in OGC (and probably one of the posters in the past page or two) said that while that story was true, it's not like as it's been told.

The gist I got from it was that the guild was all doing it as a joke, along with making getting into Time a bit more of an event as a guild. That noone actually "had" to do that, but did because everyone was playing along, and that it was all very tongue-in-cheek.

Maybe someone else can chime in otherwise.

I kind of felt like it was in BDA, where you could tell someone "Yes, we all have to refer to Chest as Dear Leader."

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

xZAOx posted:

One of the goons was in OGC (and probably one of the posters in the past page or two) said that while that story was true, it's not like as it's been told.

In this specific instance, yes, that event was very tongue-in-cheek and would be a great example of internal guild cohesion.

The problem is that while it *was* tongue in cheek, it’s also how Dima legitimately sees himself.

For my part, I like the guy most of the time. He’s genuinely interested in what makes the guild the best and how to achieve that. But he takes credit for the guild’s achievements like they’re a personal reflection on his leadership and all subsequent credit due.

He’s got really good officers who do a majority of the heavy lifting, and really good players who help bring up the bottom of the pack. He’s also horribly libertarian, which means he allows the worst of the worst to have free reign in his guilds and members are free to sort it out themselves.

People stay because it’s a loot piñata, for their mains as well as 2nds and alts. If you want to be top 10-15 geared on your main and alt inside of the span of an expansion, look nowhere else.

This ties back into the discussion about people rejecting EoE based on loot council earlier. People are motivated by improvements to their pixels and bid-based dip systems like OGC let people fear at the pace they want to accomplish it in.

I mained a Druid and started an SK alt the weekend after TSS launched. My SK was tanking in OoW/DoN/DoDH content bosses before TBS opened. I had a full set of current expansion cultural, current raid tier non-visibles and jewelry. No problem. Most of them I picked up for minimum bid.

There’s a powerful draw and retention in that sort of system. The problem comes when Dima is the gatekeeper for all of it. He plays it tongue-in-cheek, but the truth is he likes the authority he’s granted by his position in the guild and he likes being the villain.

So the “kiss the ring” thing is partway true. People don’t care and treat it like a joke because the getting’s good, and when they’re disaffected they understand just how much it’s something he needs to have because he believes it to be true and needs that feedback.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sounds like Dima!

What do the ranks of Picciotto and Enforcer in OGC mean Koreban?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

What do you phinny players think about the flagging situation for your upcoming expansions? I don't play on phinny but am kind of disappointed the devs haven't made a statement about it.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
It will be a poo poo storm of drama going into SoF raids if it doesn't change. Guilds leaders/officers will prioritize key classes and their buddies for flags and a lot of shittier classes like casters or who officers don't like will be turning up each week to knowing they won't get a flag and stop turning up.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tai posted:

Sounds like Dima!

What do the ranks of Picciotto and Enforcer in OGC mean Koreban?

Im 90% on these being the correct order.

Godfather - leader
Consigliere - 2nd in command
Underboss - senior officers
Caporegime - junior officers/raid leaders
Made Man - Members
Enforcers - Alts
Picciotto- Applicants

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

koreban posted:

Im 90% on these being the correct order.

Godfather - leader
Consigliere - 2nd in command
Underboss - senior officers
Caporegime - junior officers/raid leaders
Made Man - Members
Enforcers - Alts
Picciotto- Applicants

Haha ok.

So it seems that two thirds of WT who joined OGC have said gently caress this and gone inactive.

Dima won

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Solarin posted:

What do you phinny players think about the flagging situation for your upcoming expansions? I don't play on phinny but am kind of disappointed the devs haven't made a statement about it.

I don't know where I got the info, but apparently a "community liason" with the players said that the devs are completely uninterested in changing the flagging of these expansions.

We're not expecting many problems with SoF or SoD. Both provide enough flags at the appropriate time that we may not get three months straight of Crystallos or Discord Tower, but it'll be enough that we'll be sick of them.

Underfoot as it is now, I don't even think OGC could finish it. Dima couldn't beat Underfoot or House of Thule without getting half of his guild to roll berserkers and get the Dying Blow AA. Since that AA was removed, I don't think he has any clue on how to beat events like Brath, Cunning Plan, Trial of Creation, or Brell. Tier 7 raiding (Badgers, Arthicrex, and Brath) have a massively splittable event so that's not going to be the block, but Tier 8 (Trials of Deconstruction and Creation, A Cunning Plan, and Fungal Corruption) are really, really, really not splittable and you need a goodish force for Brell. As it stands, 2 months is simply not enough time. If anyone gets into Convorteum raids, I'll be shocked.

House of Thule is an interesting beast, because it has the same problems as Underfoot but is a three month expansion, and Guardian of the House in Tier 3 is also crazy splittable because its so easy. I'd expect Morell to die before the expac ends.

VoA and onward changes the flagging schemes from individual flags to "raid progress" in some form so it'll be fine for those. VoA I think there's enough time to complete each of the events enough times that Triunity will die before the expac ends. RoF flags entire raids, CoTF does too (I think?). TDS and TBM require you to beat events a certain number of times, and I don't know what EoK, RoS, or TBL use.

Its unfortunate, but that's how its going to be. They'll ruin one of the best expansions in the game by making it so fast (Underfoot).

Tai posted:

It will be a poo poo storm of drama going into SoF raids if it doesn't change. Guilds leaders/officers will prioritize key classes and their buddies for flags and a lot of shittier classes like casters or who officers don't like will be turning up each week to knowing they won't get a flag and stop turning up.

If that's how other guilds are going to function, then please by all means come to EoE. We prioritize people by their RA alone as long as we get in the necessary tanks, heals, and buff/debuff, and with 12 flags per tier that's going to happen rapidly.

Hoohah fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 10, 2018

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

I don't know where I got the info, but apparently a "community liason" with the players said that the devs are completely uninterested in changing the flagging of these expansions.

Hopefully someone with some sense speaks up then. Killing the most popular TLP (if not most popular server period) instead of a simple "make keys drop 4x the current amount on expansions that are way out of era" seems like a pretty easy no brainer to both make players happy and keep making money.

Rajaah
Oct 7, 2018

xZAOx posted:

Hopefully someone with some sense speaks up then. Killing the most popular TLP (if not most popular server period) instead of a simple "make keys drop 4x the current amount on expansions that are way out of era" seems like a pretty easy no brainer to both make players happy and keep making money.

Yeah, I don't understand why adding more keys seems to be such a no-go for the devs. It isn't really any different than adding AOCs to the early expansions; just allows more people to do the raids. While they're at it maybe we can finally get a complete achievement set for GoD through SoF.

If all else fails, I guess we can do Convorteum at level 90. The equipment from there should still be viable well into HoT progression, right? Can clear Convorteum on extra raid days while waiting on HoT lockouts. Any Underfoot Tier 3 raids that are left for any given guild should be a lot quicker to finish at level 90, too. So at the end of the day, we'll still get to see all of Underfoot even if we don't get the full "in-era experience".

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Phinny, the beta server for future TLP servers.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Do you guys have a discord?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

go back 2 Texaco posted:

Do you guys have a discord?

I don't think there's a SA discord for EQ, except the Project99 one. There's an in game serverwide channel that's posted in the OP but it's not very busy.

For the phinny players: how do mages do as a solo or duo class in the era your server is at? I've been feeling like checking out the server and making a duo to screw around and enjoy the fast xp rate.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Solarin posted:

I don't think there's a SA discord for EQ, except the Project99 one. There's an in game serverwide channel that's posted in the OP but it's not very busy.

For the phinny players: how do mages do as a solo or duo class in the era your server is at? I've been feeling like checking out the server and making a duo to screw around and enjoy the fast xp rate.

Badly

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Geez there's so much to do this expac. Not to mention, first expac that people won't clear in the first week.

I'll be glad for next expansion too when we get mercs finally, so I can be a little more efficient at doing some things on my own. Box crews are are both great and terrible at the same time, heh.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Geez there's so much to do this expac. Not to mention, first expac that people won't clear in the first week.

OGC is giving it the good ole college try. I normally don't really care about what other guilds do, but beating everything except Vyskudra, Brood Mother, and Kerafyrm with 30ish (and I'm told the 30ish in the raid were not the best players of the game) is pretty impressive.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I've seen OGC making moves. On the one hand, I'll tip my hat to them if they can get it done in a week. On the other, it's really just a numbers game - if you have enough characters in your guild to mega-split everything from the get-go to the point where you can have 36 flagged toons for Crystallos (so a raid force of 40), then that'll probably work.

Still probably pretty challenging though since this is our first really tiered expansion with notable gear jumps each tier, not like they've got MMM on farm yet, so it's definitely still an accomplishment.

Also gently caress EQs flagging systems and artificial gates.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Whats the exp rate like on Ragefire ? I saw they are currently at DoN and thats the newest content I've ever done, so was thinking about starting a character there so I can experience the subsequent unlocks.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Baconroll posted:

Whats the exp rate like on Ragefire ? I saw they are currently at DoN and thats the newest content I've ever done, so was thinking about starting a character there so I can experience the subsequent unlocks.

They have "live" XP rates.

XP Rates on progression in a nutshell:
Slow Progression (Coirnav) - Very slow XP rate, probably something like 25% or 33% of live.
Fast Progression (Agnarr) - Slower but not as bad, probably 50% or 66% of live. Coirnav will swap to "Fast Progression" in Gates of Discord.
Live (Ragefire, Lockjaw, Phinigel) - Regular speed (100%). Coirnav will swap to "Live" in The Serpent's Spine.

Note that this is a percentage of the era XP. Each expansion changes the global XP rate in various ways, but on Phinigel as soon as we hit TSS we didn't immediately start getting 20%+ AA xp per kill like we would have if we were on Xegony or something at the same level, but it stayed at the normal levels of 4-6% or so.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
For those on Phinny - what's the story on Powersources now?

Are we going to have to farm trash in Solteris to keep getting them? Or can the good ones be crafted?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
haven't played EQ in an almost a year and that was just to mess around for a few minutes and soak in that ~nostalgia~

but this is really funny for some reason

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

xZAOx posted:

The gist I got from it was that the guild was all doing it as a joke, along with making getting into Time a bit more of an event as a guild. That noone actually "had" to do that, but did because everyone was playing along, and that it was all very tongue-in-cheek.

Maybe someone else can chime in otherwise.

I kind of felt like it was in BDA, where you could tell someone "Yes, we all have to refer to Chest as Dear Leader."

I was in OGC from Luclin through POP (Thicky, SK). The entire Time lineup in POK was all tongue-in-cheek...It's an RPG. No one was forced to do anything.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

For those on Phinny - what's the story on Powersources now?

Are we going to have to farm trash in Solteris to keep getting them? Or can the good ones be crafted?

As I recall, the raid-level power sources cannot be crafted until Underfoot. I've never known the exact time because I always box and just clear Solteris island 1 for some phosphenes.

I believe this will be the case until like Rain of Fear? Then different power sources become available as zone trash drops.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
From http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Power_Sources

"From the February 11, 2009 patch message: "Tradeskilled Pure Powersources can now be unlocked with many of the flagging SoF and SoD raids. Past kills will work to unlock these items." "

The way things on the page are laid out there, I dunno. It's kind of confusing. Just like powersources in general.

Unrelated - Hoohah, earlier you were asking us why we liked DKP and loathed LC. How does EoE do their LC? Why do you feel it's superior?

I mean, I think it's going to be something we just agree to disagree on, but I did want to hear your side of it none-the-less.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Unrelated - Hoohah, earlier you were asking us why we liked DKP and loathed LC. How does EoE do their LC? Why do you feel it's superior?

I mean, I think it's going to be something we just agree to disagree on, but I did want to hear your side of it none-the-less.

The short answer is we take tells on items, gather some comparison data on number of items of relatively the same strength as that item the character has gotten and what their raid attendance numbers look like, take into account other factors like who the item is better for, whether someone in on the item contributes more than just showing up to the raid, and so on, then award the item. If you want a more detailed answer, I can give it, but I typed out the whole thing and its a little long!

Now why do I like this better than DKP? Read those extra factors that allow people to distinguish themselves. We have the agency to prevent things like allowing a rogue to bid on and win the best warrior agro weapon in the game at the moment over warriors. We try our best to make sure the loot goes to who is going to put it to the best use, not whoever has the most amount of points because they're playing a side game against their own guildmates. It feels like we can much more easily build a guild that is focused on progressing and raiding efficiently, rather than be at the whim of what people are and aren't going in on. It allows us to encourage or incentivize people to take incremental upgrades that won't significantly hurt their chances for the tip-top stuff. We can notice people that show up and are afk for entire encounters and make sure they don't get loot over characters that are contributing. We don't have to come up with a rigid rule structure and assess DKP fines, people see just fine who gets rewarded and when we're asked why they are, we willingly tell them if we have a problem with that person or the reason why whoever got loot got it. The system is fairly game proof in our guild because all of the members of the loot council are pretty objective, there's certain people we like to get gear first but these are consistently our strongest performers. Basically if you're good at EQ and join EoE, you will get loot, end of story, regardless of class.

In the end, my honest feeling on DKP is its a tool for people who want to run a guild but don't want to really think about the workings of the guild, watch how their players play and reward accordingly, and want something that gives them an easy out on loot drama by saying 'well X or Y just had more points than you.' I can't say that loot council is better than DKP, both are fine and in the end this really feels like nitpicking. Loot is loot, its a progression server where stuff gets replaced fast, so really if someone is raising a fuss about the system (Hi Mabbu) we'd rather they just go away and stop bothering the rest of us. All I can say is I won't risk playing in a system where people who can fog a mirror but not much else are guaranteed to get loot over people who bust their rear end to make stuff happen because the numbers happen to line up correct.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

haven't played EQ in an almost a year and that was just to mess around for a few minutes and soak in that ~nostalgia~

but this is really funny for some reason

It seems pretty ridiculous how cheap plat can be to buy, particuarly when you're a returning playing. At high levels the platinum really flows like water, so I guess that's why.

IMO there's no need to buy plat for dollars if you're a returning or new player, just buy reasonable gear and you'll be fine. If you grind crafting you can also craft some bombass gear at level 100 for almost nothing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pilsner posted:

It seems pretty ridiculous how cheap plat can be to buy, particuarly when you're a returning playing. At high levels the platinum really flows like water, so I guess that's why.

IMO there's no need to buy plat for dollars if you're a returning or new player, just buy reasonable gear and you'll be fine. If you grind crafting you can also craft some bombass gear at level 100 for almost nothing.

Yeah, that sort of works, but you're still left with some holes in your gear/lacking X or Y or Z that will make it a lot quicker to level. That gear/whatever costs like $20-60 when you buy plat with cash; if you look at the time that saves, it could equal hours, which, to me (and probably others) would be worth it when it makes the path to where you want to be easier.

I ran a 3 box warrior, shaman, and monk a few years ago, fresh accounts and everything, I got defiant gear from drops and then the bazaar when I could afford it, but there would still be major holes in gear that buying plat would have filled and made my life a lot easier. I did not buy plat and now realizing how cheap it is, I probably should have and would have been playing longer.. likely...

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Got the itch yet? :laugh:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Question for Phinny and Live players: what is the raid healing dynamic like at your era of the game?

I never raided in this game until now on Coirnav as a Druid. The CHeal dynamic is odd and I'm kind of glad not to be locked into that on raids. I know eventually CH phases out and I'm curious what raid healing is like then

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Solarin posted:

Question for Phinny and Live players: what is the raid healing dynamic like at your era of the game?

I never raided in this game until now on Coirnav as a Druid. The CHeal dynamic is odd and I'm kind of glad not to be locked into that on raids. I know eventually CH phases out and I'm curious what raid healing is like then

mix between quick heals and the bigger long heals, you'll get a feel for each fight when you can use the slower bigger heals and when you'll need to throw out fast spam heals.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Phinny cleric main who raids here. The biggest change in play style between the good old days of complete heal chains and today is that the pace of gameplay is much faster and your reaction time makes a real difference between success and failure. You can't trust your target's HP bar to be telling you the truth. It can and does lag way behind your target's actual health, so you have to cast heals in anticipation of the tank taking damage.

With SoF we're starting to get more tools to make cleric gameplay more interesting. The introduction this expansion of Eleventh Hour (big heal with half second cast time IF the target is under 35% health) is making things more interesting when someone who shouldn't have agro takes it.

But most of the time on raids I'm just spamming Solemn Light, and how quickly I re-cast depends on what we're killing and how many other clerics showed up that night.

Also, I'm probably doing it all wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Grats EoE on getting Meldrath down. Did you guys split any of the fights? How difficult was he for you?