Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

davidspackage posted:

I hear that balloon in the Lego Batman voice.

Yeah, this checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He once got a white martian to spill information with a ballpoint pen or something, I think.

edit: It was the villain from Welcome to the Working Week, the story Patton Oswalt wrote about the JLA

Oh yea, I remember that

(I'm GuyGoodbody-ing but I always thought Monster felt like a Batman & Joker story)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Johan is the type of crazy the Joker aspires to be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cancer Mom posted:

If you ever do self harm it will be 100% justified . Also it will probably end up leading to the healing of some poor 9 year old's rectal cavity

what the actual gently caress, dude

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TwoPair posted:

what the actual gently caress, dude

Wow. I missed that because it was at the end of the page, but what the hell is wrong with you Cancer Mom? That statement really didn't provoke such a reaction.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hi guys what's going on in this threaaAAAAAAAAAA

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Post poo poo like this on your real account, you coward.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Post poo poo like this on your real account, you coward.

Yeah, who uses a year old throwaway account to make edgelord threats like a 13 year old? Oh boy you really showed us all Cancer Mom!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Cancer Mom posted:

If you ever do self harm it will be 100% justified . Also it will probably end up leading to the healing of some poor 9 year old's rectal cavity

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I can't tell if you really love Richard Evans or you really hate Kraven's Last Hunt.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cancer Mom posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

dickeye alt spotted

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The Question IRL posted:

Speaking of mean spirited, has anyone seen the Force Unleashed 2?
It had DLC where the main character kills Vader and takes his place. And then it goes super dark as it does a condensed version of the story from Episodes IV to VI.

It starts with you fighting Boba Fett (you kill him by Force throwing his rockets back at him.)
Has you chop off Luke's hand and corrupt him to the Dark Side in Echo base.
On Endor you Force choke Chewbacca, and use him as a shield when Han tries shooting him (before stabbing him with a Light Sabre.)
Oh and forbrhe end of the game, because Luke is gone all hope rests on Leia, who learns Force Powers and gets her own Light Sabre....only for you to still chump her in a boss fight.

But by far the meanest was the fight against Obi Wan at the start when the gang are in Mos Eisly Canteen.
Obi Wan goes to fight you while the Millennium Falcon flies off.
He proceeds to get beaten like he owes you money in a long rear end boss fight. At the end you Force throw him into the engines of the Millennium Falcon, like it's a wood chipper.

He them comes back as a Force ghost...who you proceed to shoot lightning at until he explodes.

It has to have been designed by someone who hated Star Wars, so mean and petty was it.

Still not as mean-spirited as Marvel's Ruins, which is two issues of "Pretty much every would-be Marvel hero died horribly of cancer and being a mutant is a fate worse than death. The end."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Killing Obi-Wan's force ghost is by far one of the stupidest things I've seen in a video game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gavok posted:

Still not as mean-spirited as Marvel's Ruins, which is two issues of "Pretty much every would-be Marvel hero died horribly of cancer and being a mutant is a fate worse than death. The end."

Was that the one where it was Nick Fury driving around investigating all these new 'superheroes' appearing? And how they all die horrible horrible deaths almost instantly?

"Bruce Banner gets dosed by gamma radiation and turned into The Hulk" but the Hulk is just 10 million different types of Turbo Cancer?

Sue Richards skin becomes invisible, Johnny is just on fire screaming, etc, etc

It felt super mean spirited, but it was also attempting a 'realistic' take of what would happen if mutants and heroes appeared in the real world.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Was that the one where it was Nick Fury driving around investigating all these new 'superheroes' appearing? And how they all die horrible horrible deaths almost instantly?

"Bruce Banner gets dosed by gamma radiation and turned into The Hulk" but the Hulk is just 10 million different types of Turbo Cancer?

It felt super mean spirited, but it was also attempting a 'realistic' take of what would happen if mutants and heroes appeared in the real world.

Not Nick Fury, just another version of Daily Bugle reporter from Marvels. And yes, the rest is correct.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's also a bit where Professor X is responsible for keeping the mutants under government control and he's done poo poo like amputate Quicksilver's legs.

The bit where it shows a newspaper with a photograph of Galactus's corpse and the headline "GOD FOUND DEAD IN SPACE" is where it verges into parody territory.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

excuse me I think you mean PRESIDENT X

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Infinitum posted:

Did this happen before or after the Venture Brothers did it?

(Not that it's inconceivable that more people could think of the same idea. I'm just curious about which came first.)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Don't forget that Peter Parker also got megacancer due to being bitten by, you know, a radioactive spider

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

Don't forget that Peter Parker also got megacancer due to being bitten by, you know, a radioactive spider

Also he was contagious and spread it to the reporter, whose imminent death from radiation poisoning then prompted his journey to find out what happened to all the superhumans. This is a reveal near the end of the book, and also features a panel of Peter mutating into a horrible spider monster and dying in an alleyway soon after he comes into work sick and infects the protagonist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it Ruins where Peter kills MJ with his nuclear cum?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is it Ruins where Peter kills MJ with his nuclear cum?

no that's Reign

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

no that's Reign

If Chris Claremont had written it:

"KILLED BY MY PENIS! MY CURSED, RADIOACTIVE SPERM-BLASTING PENIS!"

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Ruin isn't helped by ending early because the art team went through some poo poo. Maybe it wouldn't have been quite so mean spirited with a little more to it?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

prefect posted:

Did this happen before or after the Venture Brothers did it?

(Not that it's inconceivable that more people could think of the same idea. I'm just curious about which came first.)

Ruins was published in 1995, so

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I remember Warren Ellis did an interview with Wizard magazine where they asked if if there was anything they asked him to cut from Ruins.
He talked about a scene where Dr. Strange was smoking dope (makes sense. Early 90s were not permissive when it comes to Cannabis. ).
And a scene where Baron Mordu summons Dormamu, who proceeds to rape him.
If true, I think Editorial were doing their job that day.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Cassa posted:

Ruin isn't helped by ending early because the art team went through some poo poo. Maybe it wouldn't have been quite so mean spirited with a little more to it?

I always wondered about this. The art changes pretty drastically right in the middle of the 2nd issue and it seems like the whole story just wraps up way too soon.

And the FF thing was even worse than that. Johnny starts burning from the inside out and bursts into flame. He stumbles around and lands on top of Sue, who turned invisible and freaks out because she’s now blind. So Johnny essentially burns his sister alive. Doom took Ben’s place and was turned inside out, and Reed was torn apart from his skin stretching off his bones. It’s revealed later that essentially the whole thing is Ben Grimm’s fault - he refused to go because of the shielding issues, and Doom’s arrogance caused them to be overexposed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

GPTribefan posted:

I always wondered about this. The art changes pretty drastically right in the middle of the 2nd issue and it seems like the whole story just wraps up way too soon.

And the FF thing was even worse than that. Johnny starts burning from the inside out and bursts into flame. He stumbles around and lands on top of Sue, who turned invisible and freaks out because she’s now blind. So Johnny essentially burns his sister alive. Doom took Ben’s place and was turned inside out, and Reed was torn apart from his skin stretching off his bones. It’s revealed later that essentially the whole thing is Ben Grimm’s fault - he refused to go because of the shielding issues, and Doom’s arrogance caused them to be overexposed.

Whoa how is that Ben's fault

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Seems pretty sensible not to get on the death ship if you know it's a death ship.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
poo poo, if anything it's even more Richards' fault for not having the drat shielding done right in the first place.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

GPTribefan posted:

he refused to go because of the shielding issues, and Doom’s arrogance caused them to be overexposed.

Sounds like in the ruins universe Ben Grimm was the super genius!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Puntification posted:

Sounds like in the ruins universe Ben Grimm was the super genius!

Ben Grimm should be a pretty smart guy. He has to have at least an advanced engineering degree if he was an astronaut. Now that isn't comic book genius smart, but still...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah, people keep assuming Ben is dumb because he's the clobberin' guy, but he's plenty smart.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Cassa posted:

Really? I always assumed the abrupt ending was intentionally extremely black humor, that this is such a lovely world even the narrator drops dead...

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Ben Grimm should be a pretty smart guy. He has to have at least an advanced engineering degree if he was an astronaut. Now that isn't comic book genius smart, but still...

He's unfairly treated by the writers due to the cruel stereotypes about the intelligence of rocks.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wikipedia tells me Jean walks up to Fury and the narrator as a prostitute. Then Nick Fury shoots her dead.

Why does this exist?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

Wikipedia tells me Jean walks up to Fury and the narrator as a prostitute. Then Nick Fury shoots her dead.

Why does this exist?

Marvel let Ellis go full Ellis.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

SonicRulez posted:

Why does this exist?

Because a hilarously cynical tacticlol realism version of the 616 is about as 90s as you can possibly get?

Like, the whole thing is just a very silly, pitch black What If, almost as if it was a ever escalating bet in the pub over what is the absolute worst possible outcome for the Marvel origins. Too bad it didn't include an epilogue where Spider-Ham is a radioactive bacon sandwich, Howard lands behind a restaurant and gets served up a l'orange, and Black Bolt forgets himself and accidentally tells Lockjaw to "fetch".

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sentinel Red posted:

Because a hilarously cynical tacticlol realism version of the 616 is about as 90s as you can possibly get?

Like, the whole thing is just a very silly, pitch black What If, almost as if it was a ever escalating bet in the pub over what is the absolute worst possible outcome for the Marvel origins. Too bad it didn't include an epilogue where Spider-Ham is a radioactive bacon sandwich, Howard lands behind a restaurant and gets served up a l'orange, and Black Bolt forgets himself and accidentally tells Lockjaw to "fetch".

It's good they didn't do that last one, or else what would the Inhumans tv show do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read Ruin for the first time today and I’m sad to admit I actually quite enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

Wiki has a bunch of [CITATION NEEDED] bits, but does say he got multiple advanced engineering degrees before serving in the Marines.