Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
being killed by a monster and having them so pissed off that they track down where you respawned and kill you again is loving hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I mean, not to defend Bethesda- I'm not preordering and going to wait for some news of how buggy it is before I get this game- but honestly considering their games I fully expect there to be horrible game-ruining bugs in the game until like the day before release. If there was nothing catastrophically wrong with the game, it'd be out already.

That is entirely unsurprising and not in a "gently caress bethesda" way but in a :geno: way. Latching on to the catastrophic bug reports as evidence this will be buggy poo poo comes off as looking for something to get outraged about.

It's entirely plausible that this game will be a broken buggy mess on release, but the fact that it's a broken buggy mess over a month before release doesn't really seem like that big a deal to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I agree with your sentiment, but most of us are merely soaking up the schadenfreude, and the simple joy of game glitches.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bethesda games are buggy on launch, sure, but this is a huge list of utterly game-breaking bugs. There’s probably even more benign bugs that aren’t recorded or found yet.

What’s especially incredible is that a lot of it seems like it should be little different from the Fallout 4 code, but somehow even basic returning functionality is broken.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I agree with your sentiment, but most of us are merely soaking up the schadenfreude, and the simple joy of game glitches.
That's fair. They're pretty hosed up glitches!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

chitoryu12 posted:

Bethesda games are buggy on launch, sure, but this is a huge list of utterly game-breaking bugs. There’s probably even more benign bugs that aren’t recorded or found yet.

What’s especially incredible is that a lot of it seems like it should be little different from the Fallout 4 code, but somehow even basic returning functionality is broken.

Yeah that list having so many bugs that shouldn't have seen the light of day is worrying.

They cobbled in a bunch of other code ro get mp to work so it broke everything.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whz-LQlbI-U

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Father Wendigo posted:

... and it's releasing over a month after the game launches for some reason? :confused:

It's just a bunch of branded merch garbage.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

It's just a bunch of branded merch garbage.

Fallout for a new generation!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Good to see they brought the crash on exit bug back from Oblivion.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

being killed by a monster and having them so pissed off that they track down where you respawned and kill you again is loving hilarious

Shadows of Fallout with a nuclear nemesis system is just one of many design tenets they could have experimented with that would have been fun and good

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

quote:

NPCs able to open locked doors
Enemies pursue too far, even after death/respawn
Lag in combat, unable to compensate for unknown health drain
Hit by apparently invisible enemies/random damage
Constantly received wanted status while only exploring away from other players
AP generally not re-loading
Chinese bots didn't follow invasion path
Running with gun equipped, AP wouldn't reload until gun unequipped after stopped running
Doors opening & closing without animation
Getting stuck when walking uphill
Losing quest progress/completion after game crash/logout
Personal turrets turned on owner after player fought other players
Workbench variant type change made it unusable
Player would get stuck in Cooking Bench
Would lose stash inventory when moved CAMP
Buildings & floors missing textures
Water textures missing

Intead of fixing these bugs, they can package them in a different horror themed game. Where enemies follow you forever, even using closing doors withouth visual indication that the doors open. Everything is out there to kill you, and the interior of houses are bottomless pit. You can only run, but not uphill.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Industrial Revolution mod adds notes all over the world from a mad ex-Brotherhood scribe with beer recipes for your brewery. I'll have to check the corpse of the guy who plummets out of the sky in downtown Boston with a recipe for "Fizzy Lifting Beer" to see what they put on him to match this reference photo. I remember it was something weird.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Glazius posted:

The Industrial Revolution mod adds notes all over the world from a mad ex-Brotherhood scribe with beer recipes for your brewery. I'll have to check the corpse of the guy who plummets out of the sky in downtown Boston with a recipe for "Fizzy Lifting Beer" to see what they put on him to match this reference photo. I remember it was something weird.

My favorite part about this dude is that if you manage to save him from dying or resurrect him he's just a total dick about it.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
The thing that confuses me is why they just didn't take a page from The Division. It wasn't perfect a launch, but having it be PVE with this one area you could enter to do PVP seemed to work. Especially since the story is everyone going out from the Vault to resettle everything, it makes sense the default would be PVE.

Then just have some zone where lorevwise people would backstab everyone for some reason. Maybe make the areas around the missile silos the pvp areas as folks fight for control.

I don't know, I'm no game designer.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Werix posted:

The thing that confuses me is why they just didn't take a page from The Division. It wasn't perfect a launch, but having it be PVE with this one area you could enter to do PVP seemed to work. Especially since the story is everyone going out from the Vault to resettle everything, it makes sense the default would be PVE.

Then just have some zone where lorevwise people would backstab everyone for some reason. Maybe make the areas around the missile silos the pvp areas as folks fight for control.

The lamest idea

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Werix posted:

I like this idea.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Werix posted:

Email to todd

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

"I wish fallout was more like a ubisoft game"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

"I wish fallout was more like a ubisoft game"

Is that u Pete Hines

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hope it doesn't take the page out of the division where all the looters are minorities.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

“It’s normal for Bethesda games to have bugs!”

*can’t walk uphill*

*NPCs T-pose gliding and ragdoll shaking everywhere*

“This will be a fun game to play with my friends!”

*crashes when opening a vault door*

*own turrets attack you when you do PvP*

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

let's hope this kills bethesda's drive to make fallout games.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

40-Degree Day posted:

let's hope this kills bethesda's drive to make fallout games.

So how are the no mutants allowed forums these days?

Anyway, this really looks like the first probably failed product in the second generation Fallout family; my concern still is that this will postpone F5 or Fallout: Some New Place (and not a MMO) for years because the failure has to have some time for the dust to settle.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

So how are the no mutants allowed forums these days?

Anyway, this really looks like the first probably failed product in the second generation Fallout family; my concern still is that this will postpone F5 or Fallout: Some New Place (and not a MMO) for years because the failure has to have some time for the dust to settle.

76 will probably still sell well enough in any case but there probably wouldn't have been a fallout game for years anyway, they have an Elder Scrolls and then whatever the hell that space game is called as their big projects. There was a pretty big gap between NV and 4 as well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
NMA gets by on pure hate. I go there sometimes to refuel.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Werix posted:

This might be a cool and good idea if the dark zone wasn't garbage because it was PvP.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Dark zone sucked because how it worked. Like most games you going in solo and running into a group of bullies and getting your lunch money taken.

But but then the bullies ran up a ladder to hide so it was harder to go kill them. That's Tom Clancy's The Division!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Like I said. Because of PvP.

I don't disparage people who enjoy PvP, but it's superfluous in a progression game, yet PvP will invite no end to insistence for balance. Balance exclusively applicable to PvP, not anything else, which naturally results in an impediment to The Rest of the Game(TM).

Beth is clearly going for PvP as a thing, maybe. It's there, but really, you're only engaging in it if you know what you're getting into, and if it sucks, then ignore it. This is different from having a good say 1/10th of the game stuffed away in a PvP only zone, and saying "you only go in there if you know what you're getting into".

I'm not even opposed to the idea, but it's loving awful in a progression game. Just don't.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Seems like all of that could be solved by having PvE and PvP servers. Or a flag that you can toggle on and off with minor restrictions like WoW does now. Make it a radio station that you turn in to and it asks are you sure you want to flag for pvp, and then shard you into servers with other flagged players. The whole idea of Fallout Pvp being essentially duels is pretty stupid.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

76 will probably still sell well enough in any case but there probably wouldn't have been a fallout game for years anyway, they have an Elder Scrolls and then whatever the hell that space game is called as their big projects. There was a pretty big gap between NV and 4 as well.

This brings up my second annoyance; that if the MMO sells well enough because of lack of other Fallout stuff, the future projects will become MMO-something by default.

Even the grand-daddy WoW started as an experiment based on the surprisingly well-received sort-of hidden one/few-character campaign hidden in the custom scenarios of the Warcraft 3 expansion disc. And the Warcraft 4 rumors haven't exactly been in news after the WoW launch. Starcraft 2 was a single player tutorial with the main game being the multiplayer.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
BoS confirmed on Facebook.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
love how goons in this thread were coming up with plausible reasons a player might find BoS fatigues in WV - then Bethesda squashes those and comes up with this. how the gently caress does a satellite get fatigues from the west coast to the east coast?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Super Rad posted:

love how goons in this thread were coming up with plausible reasons a player might find BoS fatigues in WV - then Bethesda squashes those and comes up with this. how the gently caress does a satellite get fatigues from the west coast to the east coast?

They came into contact with surviving elements of the army.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

*Looks at BoS lore post.

Oh gently caress you, beth. :argh:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Super Rad posted:

Aliens teamed up with a wizard.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Mr Hootington posted:

They came into contact with surviving elements of the army.

Good thing they had nothing better to do than to make BoS patches and sow them onto their fatigues.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Aliens teamed up with a wizard.

Well at least this is consistent with the lore

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They came sniffing around and got turned into Marked Men Scorched by some mysterious fungus

Ghouls in Power Armor, here we come!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Super Rad posted:

Good thing they had nothing better to do than to make BoS patches and sow them onto their fatigues.

Well at least this is consistent with the lore

You wanted an explaination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
That was kind of the brotherhood explanation I had thought was coming, that the West Coast OG brotherhood communicated with some other military remnants on the east coast.

Its the only plausible explanation. Now we can see if Bethesda does anything interesting with it, like them having their own ideologies by being remote.

They won't. I expect white knight Brotherhood, but guess we'll see.