Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

We took turns playing the story missions, but I had to do the actual Grand Theft Auto mission because I was the only one who could do it without hitting anything. :dukedoge:
Reminds me of how I was always the one who had to complete the driving missions when my friends were playing through the PS2 GTA games. Eventually I got to the point where I could do the second countryside race in San Andreas without scratching the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

No Mods No Masters posted:

This game not having mexico in it is a crying shame. Best part of the first game overall IMO

The environment in Mexico was the most enjoyable thing in that game. I honestly didn't mind riding around because of how it looked. The actual game part of the game was kind of meh and the ending really soured me on it, but those environments weren't matched until a few areas of Horizon last year.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

This game not having mexico in it is a crying shame. Best part of the first game overall IMO

Is this confirmed?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

You had better be able to knock each others hats off and steal them in multiplayer, that's was the best part of The Warriors.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

You had better be able to knock each others hats off and steal them in multiplayer, that's was the best part of The Warriors.
Kill Confirmed Multiplayer mode, but it's with hats and you have to return them to base.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RatHat posted:

Is this confirmed?

No, but it is widely assumed since every other area is confirmed.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RatHat posted:

Is this confirmed?

There is a leaked map of the game that is highly likely to be accurate (people did detective work comparing it to areas shown in the trailers and everything matched up) and alas it doesn't include a mexico area.

edit: This. I'd imagine it's changed a little since this leak is actually pretty old, but probably not to the extent of having mexico

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 17, 2018

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Looks like maybe there is a little piece of Mexico that we go to at some point? That blue rectangle at the top of the map has places like El Hueco, Le Vilaj, and Cinco Torrés. Kinda hard to read, but it also looks separate from the rest of the map like North Yankton was in GTAV.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

In lieu of an actual RDR playthrough on my PS3, and risking burning out on horse butt cowboy gameplay, I'm watching through an XBoneX 4k playthrough on Youtube.

It's story only pretty much but gosh I hope this game has a little more variety than [Ride Horse]->[Shoot Dudes] ad nauseam

FBS fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 17, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

It's so far, so far away.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

FBS posted:

It's story only pretty much but gosh I hope this game has a little more variety than [Ride Horse]->[Shoot Dudes] ad nauseam

[Ride Horse to Snow]->[Observe Balls]->[Ride Horse to Desert]->[Observe Balls]->[Repeat]

It's a Rockstar game so there's probably still that. The big hope is your interactions with the world/characters won't be limited to Shoot/Do Not Shoot. One of the guys on the Bombcast described contextual options that sounded like the Cyberpunk demo reel, but who knows how far that goes.

The downside is if they disappear up their own asses with it and it just becomes a wild west sandbox where you might as well skip the game and wait for a youtube supercut of people doing dumb physics setups.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
If you can't pointlessly jump into people to knock them off ledges cancel this game

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Weed

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

Is this confirmed?

No. Rockstar haven’t mentioned anything about it, other than this screen from one of the trailers

Which people believe could be Mexico.

It briefly looked like there was a glimpse of Mexico in a later trailer, but it seems that that was actually Armadillo, which (combined with a semi-walked back tweet) has got people thinking that RDR2 contains RDR’s entire map along with all the new areas we’ve seen.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Could be that the image(s?) of Mexico is a one-off type of deal like Liberty City in San Andreas and Canada in GTA V.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

csidle posted:

Could be that the image(s?) of Mexico is a one-off type of deal like Liberty City in San Andreas and Canada in GTA V.

I thought they'd said somewhere that everything would take place on the game map, and there wouldn't be any one-off areas.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

drunkill posted:

Starting to get excited for this now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcMMKB217qo

"There are 192 different dynamic scores"

"THIS IS NOT SCRIPTED"

"AGAIN, NOT SCRIPTED"

"every NPC has its own recollection of past events"

Buying this game Day 1, but this sure sounds like marketing speak

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i hope there is a westworld easter egg

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Cultural Marxist posted:

God that sounds awful. I suppose with a game like Fallout 4, Bethesda know that day/week one sales are going to be massive regardless of reviews, so they can get away with that sort of thing. No one will say no because they don’t want to get cut off, and any negatives won’t start effecting sales until at least week two.

Which is all a longwinded way of saying: that blows, your poor chum, and maybe reviewers don’t have the game yet.

My friend ended up getting a much better job, so it worked out OK. While reviewers often get the games with less time than you'd expect, the fallout 4 thing was a bit of an outlier. I'd be surprised if they didn't have RDR2 by this point.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I feel like all these gaming journalists are telling identical stories of totally random events they encountered.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm taking a vacation day next Friday to play this game, because I am an adult

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorGonzo posted:

i hope there is a westworld easter egg

gently caress that, I want Android Nightmare DLC instead of Undead Nightmare

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

gey muckle mowser posted:

:same:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I'm off this week and next week, but visiting my dad and his fiance for the weekend when the game comes out :rip: I'm kinda hoping it gets delivered early accidentally.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So i saw in reddit that the download size is 90 gigas. Where does the 150 gigas sizes come from? Im buying physical and im going to be pissed off if i have to download the difference. Thats one of the things i hate about this generation, let me put the disc and play GOD DAMMIT!

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

timp posted:

gently caress that, I want Android Nightmare DLC instead of Undead Nightmare

I want a DLC where I get to kill Maeve a thousand different ways

Alligator Tower
Aug 22, 2004

Here are a few things that I think are probably all true about this game.

(1) The underlying gameplay tools or mechanisms Rockstar is using probably aren't all that new or revolutionary. NPCs remembering what you've done isn't new. People reacting to things you've done in the past isn't that hard to set up, fundamentally.
(2) It probably contains a whole lot of events that aren't "technically" scripted because they're "technically" the result of emergent behavior. But this emergent behavior is probably something that's been set up to happen in a very similar way pretty often, leading reviewers to have similar experiences
(3) There are probably a lot of scripted events on top of #2. Seeing these things happen a second and third time will probably be around the time when you realize this is actually just a normal video game.
(4) But also, at the end of the day, I've believed for a long time like a lot of these open world games were getting very close to something that felt real in a "new" way. By that I mean, I'm not convinced that the thing keeping a lot of these open world games from feeling real is technology or gameplay mechanisms.

For example, minecraft often feels a lot more like an actual place to me than a lot of the locations in Horizon: Zero Dawn (which I loved). I'm not entirely sure why that is, and it's a weird thing to say I realize. I think it's at least somewhat because the world of minecraft interacts with itself in some basic but interesting and internally consistent ways. In H:ZD the world itself is just flat level geometry (although it is loving beautiful). But my point is that, at least for me, the "immersion" or realness or whatever seems to be a product of systems interacting with each other in believable ways.

If I'm understanding what I've been hearing correctly, that's what it seems like Rockstar is going for. They've created a bunch of systems that on their own don't sound very interesting. I think the magic is going to come out of how they interact with each other. I think most studios focus on making individual systems impressive, because those are the bullet points that get mentioned on the box or in reviews. Seeing how hard some people have found it to express why RDR2 was impressive, I get it. Focusing on the intersection of systems is probably a hard case to make in a board room, or anywhere really.

Regardless, after 20-30 hours, and the third time we hear the same distinct line of dialogue, the spell will be broken and we'll be forced to reconcile with our miserable non-cowboy lives. But at least for the reasons above I think it's possible Rockstar really is doing something "new" with this game.

Also this is the song that will play on the menu screen supposedly: https://streamable.com/qpx8f

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DoctorGonzo posted:

So i saw in reddit that the download size is 90 gigas. Where does the 150 gigas sizes come from? Im buying physical and im going to be pissed off if i have to download the difference. Thats one of the things i hate about this generation, let me put the disc and play GOD DAMMIT!

It's 105 gigs and while there may or may not be a day one patch the whole game is on the disc

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Alligator Tower posted:

Here are a few things that I think are probably all true about this game.

(1) The underlying gameplay tools or mechanisms Rockstar is using probably aren't all that new or revolutionary. NPCs remembering what you've done isn't new. People reacting to things you've done in the past isn't that hard to set up, fundamentally.
(2) It probably contains a whole lot of events that aren't "technically" scripted because they're "technically" the result of emergent behavior. But this emergent behavior is probably something that's been set up to happen in a very similar way pretty often, leading reviewers to have similar experiences
(3) There are probably a lot of scripted events on top of #2. Seeing these things happen a second and third time will probably be around the time when you realize this is actually just a normal video game.
(4) But also, at the end of the day, I've believed for a long time like a lot of these open world games were getting very close to something that felt real in a "new" way. By that I mean, I'm not convinced that the thing keeping a lot of these open world games from feeling real is technology or gameplay mechanisms.

For example, minecraft often feels a lot more like an actual place to me than a lot of the locations in Horizon: Zero Dawn (which I loved). I'm not entirely sure why that is, and it's a weird thing to say I realize. I think it's at least somewhat because the world of minecraft interacts with itself in some basic but interesting and internally consistent ways. In H:ZD the world itself is just flat level geometry (although it is loving beautiful). But my point is that, at least for me, the "immersion" or realness or whatever seems to be a product of systems interacting with each other in believable ways.

If I'm understanding what I've been hearing correctly, that's what it seems like Rockstar is going for. They've created a bunch of systems that on their own don't sound very interesting. I think the magic is going to come out of how they interact with each other. I think most studios focus on making individual systems impressive, because those are the bullet points that get mentioned on the box or in reviews. Seeing how hard some people have found it to express why RDR2 was impressive, I get it. Focusing on the intersection of systems is probably a hard case to make in a board room, or anywhere really.

Regardless, after 20-30 hours, and the third time we hear the same distinct line of dialogue, the spell will be broken and we'll be forced to reconcile with our miserable non-cowboy lives. But at least for the reasons above I think it's possible Rockstar really is doing something "new" with this game.

Also this is the song that will play on the menu screen supposedly: https://streamable.com/qpx8f

That’s more likely PS4 theme music for the media xbar menu, not the game itself. Great write up btw

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

PancakeTransmission posted:

"There are 192 different dynamic scores"

"THIS IS NOT SCRIPTED"

"AGAIN, NOT SCRIPTED"

"every NPC has its own recollection of past events"

Buying this game Day 1, but this sure sounds like marketing speak

this is absolutely marketing speak

edit: this precise language makes it into every preview, so much so that i have to believe it's the price of access and the subsequent views that brings

Tercio fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 17, 2018

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's 105 gigs and while there may or may not be a day one patch the whole game is on the disc

If this is true it will have two blue ray disc

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Can't wait to buy the game Friday and finally get to play it Tuesday

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Same. My boss asked why I was taking off and I told him I wanted to be a cowboy.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sick now but *cough* I feel like I could be coming down with one of those damned 24 hour bugs. Feels like it may be coming on about a week and 2 days from now but I'm no doctor.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Sorry for possibly dumb question, but are there any expected benefits to buying it on a disc versus the digital version? Leaning digital since I'm probably not gonna ever trade it in and being able to pre-download it will be nice.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Sorry for possibly dumb question, but are there any expected benefits to buying it on a disc versus the digital version? Leaning digital since I'm probably not gonna ever trade it in and being able to pre-download it will be nice.

The game installs if you buy on disc so if you're not trading in, etc. there's no reason to not get digital if you have the space.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Unless you have internet issues like a dl cap or low speed.

I've pretty good internet and I have no idea if the 2 day preload is going to be long enough :ohdear:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Shoehead posted:

Unless you have internet issues like a dl cap or low speed.

I've pretty good internet and I have no idea if the 2 day preload is going to be long enough :ohdear:

preload starts the 19th and the game doesn't come out until the 26th

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

preload starts the 19th and the game doesn't come out until the 26th

what if you got the digital version off amazon. i guess i have to wait until the 25th at earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what if you got the digital version off amazon. i guess i have to wait until the 25th at earliest.

Amazon does not send codes until the actual release date. So no pre-load.