Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

BULBASAUR posted:

Maybe if there was a template for measuring regulation base sizes?

actually they're "markers" not "templates"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BULBASAUR posted:

I just think GW needs to release guidelines for base size, make it part of the unit?

Like:

quote:

This unit contains 10 Termagants each on a 25mm round base. It can include up to 10 additional Termagants (Power Rating +3) or up to 20 additional Termagants (Power
Rating +6). Each model is armed with a fleshborer.

You could leave off the shape if you make "25mm base" a rulebook-defined term?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Schadenboner posted:

I just think GW needs to release guidelines for base size, make it part of the unit?

Maybe they should ship the models with bases and let you use whatever bases the models come with. e.g.

code:
The Primaris Intercessors come as 266 components, and are supplied with 10 Citadel 32mm Round bases and a transfer sheet.
And if the box you bought a while ago had different size bases, then who cares, they're the ones you based them on.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Crossposting CK Studios 101 dread, as I'm so happy about it :)

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

R0ckfish posted:

For what it is worth these look fun

I'm super intrigued by the Ability Speed Mob being up there with the other Army Wide rules! Wonder what it does?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Harkano posted:

I'm super intrigued by the Ability Speed Mob being up there with the other Army Wide rules! Wonder what it does?

It could be replacing the existing Outriders rule for buggies & wartraks, which works like the old outflank rule.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Maneck posted:

GW has no coherent policies on base sizes.

You not being able to understand a thing does not mean that thing is incoherent. It just means that you don't understand it.

BULBASAUR posted:

...Template-Oscar said as he poked his head out of the dustbin of history.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 17, 2018

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

xtothez posted:

It could be replacing the existing Outriders rule for buggies & wartraks, which works like the old outflank rule.

Someone on Reddit suggested it's just Dread Mob for buggies, since it would let you move them separately after deployment. Probably the unfortunate truth.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Assuming what we know about Dakka! Dakka! Dakka! to be true that Rivet Kannon sure is pumping out a lot of S7 AP-2 2 damage shots at a pretty respectable range, and 3+ to hits on that koustom shokk rifle are no joke. Even at 100 points, those seem a pretty good deal more effective than what the index provides in terms of a fast attack option..

Just hope the codex drops with an actual option to build some kind of orky tank that is less oversized APC and more shooty.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The kustom shokk rifle makes me wonder if they're planning on retconning all plasma weapons to unmodified 1's in Chapter Approved or a later FAQ. It would make a lot of sense.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xtothez posted:

The kustom shokk rifle makes me wonder if they're planning on retconning all plasma weapons to unmodified 1's in Chapter Approved or a later FAQ. It would make a lot of sense.

A lot of newer stuff has been using "unmodified roll of X" so it wouldn't be surprising. It never made sense thematically otherwise. Though plasma still isn't too bad given you have the option to not overcharge it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LordAba posted:

A lot of newer stuff has been using "unmodified roll of X" so it wouldn't be surprising. It never made sense thematically otherwise. Though plasma still isn't too bad given you have the option to not overcharge it.

For the Raven Guard I always imagined them scaring the poo poo out of the enemy so they misfire their plasma. That's amusing to me but not a make or break thing.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Lots of armies still get reroll 1s, but it would be nice if plasma overcharging was actually a choice instead of automatic as it is now for some armies.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

R0ckfish posted:

Lots of armies still get reroll 1s, but it would be nice if plasma overcharging was actually a choice instead of automatic as it is now for some armies.

But why would an Ork ever choose not to overcharge?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Raphus C posted:

But why would anyone ever choose not to overcharge?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Works well enough for gw

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

This is stupid. I'm paralysed for choice on which of these mats for my Orks to Speed Waaagh around on.

Opinions on which one is the best Fury Road to ride eternal on? Only a few of my guys are based with Armageddon Dunes, and I've picked up Vallejo Sand as a more economical way of basing the army, so I'm flexible for matching the board.

For what it's worth my Boyz are yellow which makes me wonder if they'd pop better on top middle?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Floppychop posted:

Quick and dirty mockup:
Black is B2B with the enemy
Green is 1" from the enemy
Yellow is within 1" Black and green
Red is within 1" of Green

Granted this is pretty much perfect B2B with no gaps. Though you get more leeway if you can "notch" the enemy bases up within the black bases.

I legit hate that up to 4 ranks deep can fight if you position everything juuuust right and possibly leave the target with only a couple models able to fight back. The precise positioning part of the fight phase should be scrapped and made into an approximation just like every other phase is in 8th edition - as in, all models in all squads in combat get to make their attacks in the fight phase. It's supposed to be a swirling, chaotic melee. Orks still remain scary as hell, and you don't get some fuckery where only Guardsman Shitbrains was in range for the charge which allowed 20 boyz to hit him so hard that the whole squad suddenly died.

I'll see if I can run some test games with this as a house rule and see how it goes, maybe my opinion will change in the end.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 17, 2018

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Raphus C posted:

But why would an Ork ever choose not to overcharge?

Well I mean they don't, haven't you read the sheets? One profile baby!

I am mostly talking about the possibility that it gets retrofitted back to other armies.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

R0ckfish posted:

Well I mean they don't, haven't you read the sheets? One profile baby!

I am mostly talking about the possibility that it gets retrofitted back to other armies.

Modifiers making you more likely to die is a stupid rule which needs to go away.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Fake James posted:

I legit hate that up to 4 ranks deep can fight if you position everything juuuust right and possibly leave the target with only a couple models able to fight back. The precise positioning part of the fight phase should be scrapped and made into an approximation just like every other phase is in 8th edition - as in, all models in all squads in combat get to make their attacks in the fight phase. It's supposed to be a swirling, chaotic melee. Orks still remain scary as hell, and you don't get some fuckery where only Guardsman Shitbrains was in range for the charge which allowed 20 boyz to hit him so hard that the whole squad suddenly died.

I'll see if I can run some test games with this as a house rule and see how it goes, maybe my opinion will change in the end.

I wouldn't really call putting your models in staggered rows being particularly precise or requiring you to position juuuuuust right.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Booley posted:

I wouldn't really call putting your models in staggered rows being particularly precise or requiring you to position juuuuuust right.

In order to pull it off, doesn't everything have to be in exactly base-to-base? If so it ends up being a precise maneuver to make sure all the models fit exactly in to the staggered rows. All I can think of is that guy who mentioned a tyranid player modeling all his hormagaunts doing headstands to ensure the 25mm bases could touch. Maybe playing enough people who pull off weird charge maneuvers and take forever making sure all their models line up perfectly made me salty about it, I dunno. I just don't like how the fight phase works right now in regards to this.

I probably should have just waited until I had a coherent thought before positing about it as well.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It also rarely comes up. Stuff on 32 bases tends to come in low enough unit sizes that you can usually get everything you need with 3 ranks or fewer

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Corrode posted:

Modifiers making you more likely to die is a stupid rule which needs to go away.

This is tangentially related, but I have always been against the idea stuff like RG/other -1 traits. I am fine with units with -1/-2 as part of their rules, since you have to pay for it and typically the units have some compromise about having it, but the 'free' army wide ones just make no sense to me as it is often worth ~20% of the cost of units with it built in!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Fake James posted:

In order to pull it off, doesn't everything have to be in exactly base-to-base? If so it ends up being a precise maneuver to make sure all the models fit exactly in to the staggered rows. All I can think of is that guy who mentioned a tyranid player modeling all his hormagaunts doing headstands to ensure the 25mm bases could touch. Maybe playing enough people who pull off weird charge maneuvers and take forever making sure all their models line up perfectly made me salty about it, I dunno. I just don't like how the fight phase works right now in regards to this.

I probably should have just waited until I had a coherent thought before positing about it as well.

They need to be touching front to back but not side to side, in fact the further they spread apart side to side the easier it is to get 4 ranks in.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tau Fire Warriors still go on 25mm bases, right?

Right?

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 17, 2018

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Harkano posted:

Someone on Reddit suggested it's just Dread Mob for buggies, since it would let you move them separately after deployment. Probably the unfortunate truth.

According to a leak just posted on Dakka you're right. So these new buggies can bypass the usual Rule of 3 by taking up to three squadrons of 3, but you can't use a stratagem on multiple buggies at once.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Corrode posted:

The rulebook is v. clear on this - if a model has a base, you measure to the base, ONLY if it doesn't have one do you measure to the hull.

You are ranting at multiple people to read more carefully without having bothered to check the rule book. Leaving aside flyers, the rules include two separate rules respecting measurement. Both rules work for both based and baseless models, but they have different mechanics.

The movement (path of travel) rule requires determining the maximum distance traveled of any point on the base or hull:

Page 3 posted:

A model can be moved in any direction,to a distance, in inches, equal to or less than the Move characteristic on its datasheet. No part of the model’s base (or hull) can move further than this.

The distance (as the crow flies) rule requires determining the closest (minimum) distance between two bases. Where a model has no base, it specifies to determine the closest distance to a point on the hull:

Page 2, sidebar posted:

Distances in Warhammer 40,000 are measured in inches (") between the closest points of the bases of the models you’re measuring to and from. If a model does not have a base, such is the case with many vehicles, measure to and from the closest point of that model’s hull instead.

There is no general rule that says "if a model has a base, you measure to the base, ONLY if it doesn't have one do you measure to the hall". It's in your head. You've taken a detail of the distance between models rule and generalized it - but that's inappropriate, because the part you're trying to generalize is explicitly for determining minimum distance, which doesn't help with movement.

Corrode posted:

You're right about this though.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Dr Hemulen posted:

Crossposting CK Studios 101 dread, as I'm so happy about it :)

This is cool, I really like the main color.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Fake James posted:

I'm all for speeding the fight phase up, in my experience shuffling the units around to get as many in as possible is one of the big time-sinks in 8th. However, your suggestion leads to the stupidest thing in the world, namely the infamous snake units, where all unit consists of models snaking along the terrain and across the map (at max cohesion distance), and just has a single model touching an enemy model, all the while the same unit is camping an objective over one side of the map with the middle of the snake, and being in range of a reroll to hit and wound aura captain way across the map in the backfield with the tail of the snake. I'm not crazy about the four ranks thing, but I think 'within an inch of an inch' actually is one of the best ways to do it.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Maneck posted:

You are ranting at multiple people to read more carefully without having bothered to check the rule book. Leaving aside flyers, the rules include two separate rules respecting measurement. Both rules work for both based and baseless models, but they have different mechanics.

The movement (path of travel) rule requires determining the maximum distance traveled of any point on the base or hull:

The distance (as the crow flies) rule requires determining the closest (minimum) distance between two bases. Where a model has no base, it specifies to determine the closest distance to a point on the hull:

There is no general rule that says "if a model has a base, you measure to the base, ONLY if it doesn't have one do you measure to the hall". It's in your head. You've taken a detail of the distance between models rule and generalized it - but that's inappropriate, because the part you're trying to generalize is explicitly for determining minimum distance, which doesn't help with movement.

You're right about this though.

Im not following what you are saying. Please draw a diagram.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I'm all for speeding the fight phase up, in my experience shuffling the units around to get as many in as possible is one of the big time-sinks in 8th. However, your suggestion leads to the stupidest thing in the world, namely the infamous snake units, where all unit consists of models snaking along the terrain and across the map (at max cohesion distance), and just has a single model touching an enemy model, all the while the same unit is camping an objective over one side of the map with the middle of the snake, and being in range of a reroll to hit and wound aura captain way across the map in the backfield with the tail of the snake. I'm not crazy about the four ranks thing, but I think 'within an inch of an inch' actually is one of the best ways to do it.

Ahhh the Konga line. That was a big issue when close combat blocked line of sight and you couldn’t shoot into combat either. Nids being the number one transgressor. The HQ would join the unit and be carried across the board.

Bring in the whirlwinds and really inaccurate guess work.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Some thoughts on addressing that:

1. All moves in the Charge or Fight phase must move the model closer to an enemy model that is either engaged or declared the target of the charge, ending in base contact where possible. If no applicable enemy model is available then the model must move to the closet enemy model.

2. All models in contact with an enemy model, or in contact with a model that is eligible to fight, are eligible to fight.

3. Models that are falling back ignore enemy models when moving, but the move must end more than 1" away from all enemy models. After declaring a fall back move any models that are unable to be placed more than 1" away from enemy models are destroyed.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

www dot dummies dot com

An accurate source of information for you

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Give melee weapons a range like in AoS tbh.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Oh god I forgot about the conga line. Then my idea only works in scenarios where people play with their squads bunched up together. People would definitely find a way to cheese it unless there was a rule of 'all models fight in the fight phase only if the entire unit is within X" of the target unit', and if they are not within that range there would need to be rules to delegate out which models can fight... like maybe the rules we have currently. Hmm maybe I'm dumb and the current system is ok after all!

Edit:

Strobe posted:

:hmmyes:

Fake James fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 17, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Harkano posted:

This is stupid. I'm paralysed for choice on which of these mats for my Orks to Speed Waaagh around on.

Opinions on which one is the best Fury Road to ride eternal on? Only a few of my guys are based with Armageddon Dunes, and I've picked up Vallejo Sand as a more economical way of basing the army, so I'm flexible for matching the board.

For what it's worth my Boyz are yellow which makes me wonder if they'd pop better on top middle?

Center bottom row seems the most like the setting of Fury Road

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

General Olloth posted:

www dot dummies dot com

An accurate source of information for you

That was a nice try! I can even see the angle you tried to take. Keep working on your words and someday you'll land a coherent joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strobe posted:

:whip: