Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I didn't know if nav buttons are part of the launcher API or whatever.
Pretty sure they aren't. It's in settings, not nova settings, on my P2XL.

Most annoying thing to me about gesture nav is the lack of a double tack to quick switch app. The whole gesture nav thing is a mess on Android.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If anyone wants a minimal textured shell case to guard against scratches but not much else, this one arrived today and it's perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQ5DDDX/

Basically, if you ever said "I like Bear Motion cases but really don't like the branding", this one is for you.

I just wish they had more colors in the "gravel" texture. I'm sure there will be one eventually though, this case seems like it's being sold by several "brands" on Amazon.

Edit: I just noticed that the textured one disappeared from the listing. There are a bunch like it on amazon though.

https://www.amazon.com/ORNARTO-Prem...3%22+shell+case

https://www.amazon.com/GOGODOG-Goog...3%22+shell+case

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 17, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Shipping notification! Last year they shipped it on Wednesday and I got to sit through a whole weekend looking at that tracking log showing it one town over from Friday night to Monday morning. So this year I splurged on the rush shipping. Supposed to be here tomorrow, so maybe, just maybe, I can get a decent sale on this P2XL on Swappa before everyone else floods the market.

To echo earlier statements, I like the new navigation pill thing, I just wish I could grab a few pixels back from that whole area now that I don't need the huge target.

Man, Twitter is just going ape poo poo over this EU licensing thing for Android. Apparently it isn't 'cool' that they're going to charge for Play Services now that they can't bundle the browser and search into the deal. I guess people think they should just keep developing those things and running servers for free? It was supported by the advertising and now it's just paid for. I dunno.

My suspicion is a bunch of Google execs have been trying to figure out how to charge for Android since it became good enough and this gives them the political air-cover.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 'licensing' thing became more common and then rebated back from an advertising share kind of thing where allowed. That way it can still be 'covered' by the advertising but there is that secondary revenue stream that can be used where (and when) necessary.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGbvF1yBsv8

I guess this is a way to advertise the Pixel 3.

Google sponsored, what is essentially, a music video for Eminem and shot it on the Pixel 3. They also had people strategically placed to record on their Pixel 3s.

Does this mean Google is serious about phones now? :v:

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I now also got a shipping notification for my case.

everything but the phone. I feel like google is trolling me.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Hmm those mandatory Pixel 3 gestures sound kind of TouchWiz-ish. Usable but clunky and unnecessary, with a weird visual look.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FistEnergy posted:

Hmm those mandatory Pixel 3 gestures sound kind of TouchWiz-ish. Usable but clunky and unnecessary, with a weird visual look.

Yeah, FistEnergy, but if the UI paradigm breaks down, the phone doesn't automatically send dick pics to Grandma.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's also optimized for the hardware instead of requiring incremental progress toward carrying a full ATX tower and a couple car batteries on your back.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I was psychologically ready to get my phone Oct 24-26 but I got the shipping notification that it'll arrive by Friday and I waNT IT NOW NOW NOWWWW

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I was psychologically ready to get my phone Oct 24-26 but I got the shipping notification that it'll arrive by Friday and I waNT IT NOW NOW NOWWWW

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a Pixel 2 XL coming that's making me feel the same. :v:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I ordered mine as soon as the preorders opened and it hasn't shipped yet :(

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

grack posted:

Edit: Speaking of the Mate 20, apparently you can use it to wirelessly charge other Qi-enabled devices, with a feature called "Reverse Wireless Charging". That's also kind of weird.

Nothing says you love your girlfriend like sacrificing your battery life so she can keep texting other people!

Mental Hospitality posted:

They also released the Mate20X which is just stupid big. Here it is next to a Pixel 2XL. :lol:

Probably 100% targeted at women who like having large purse phones, especially older women who like the extra visibility.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

isndl posted:

Probably 100% targeted at women who like having large purse phones, especially older women who like the extra visibility.

Nah, it's spec'd to the max, it's an absolute status symbol phone. I know plenty of managers in China that would rock that in a leather case.

isndl
May 2, 2012

FunOne posted:

Nah, it's spec'd to the max, it's an absolute status symbol phone. I know plenty of managers in China that would rock that in a leather case.

Of course it's specced to the max, ladies gotta have their status symbols too.

Dudes rocking it might be awkward unless they're getting a special belt holster for it though, I doubt anyone has pockets big enough.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Phone shipped. Ordered a white P3 XL a few hours after the reveal and will be here Friday. Was supposed to arrive the 26th. I live in NH and FedEx shows it shipping out of Illinois. I would assume everybody will get their notice tomorrow at this point.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

isndl posted:

Of course it's specced to the max, ladies gotta have their status symbols too.

Dudes rocking it might be awkward unless they're getting a special belt holster for it though, I doubt anyone has pockets big enough.

These dudes would carry it or have their person carry it.

Weirdest thing I've seen phone wise, besides though huge penguin things, was an S8 sized phone on a neckless.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The Mate 20x is a 7.2 inch phone with a 5000mah battery. It would make a nice replacement for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S (the OG 8.4 inch one) but it's gonna cost like 1400 or something.

They said i was 800 something Euro I think, which is actually cheaper than the Mate 20 Pro at 1050 Euro.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

FunOne posted:

During the presentation they said that there was a attachable game pad, so they may be targeting mobile gaming. They also took a shot at nintendo switch saying they had a better screen and better performance lol.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

grack posted:

Going by Google's track record, they'll make a half-assed attempt to push gesture nav and then abandon it in a year for something even stupider. By this time next year, the only way to navigate on a Pixel will be to use voice commands or hit it against a hard surface.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

GlassEye-Boy posted:

They said i was 800 something Euro I think, which is actually cheaper than the Mate 20 Pro at 1050 Euro.

I really kind of want one. Better wait for a camera review though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
My Clock app updated and now the font used for the numbers remind me of Comic Sans for some reason. :staredog:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wonder if I could finally type worth a gently caress with that thing. Or if it would fit in my pocket? Or my car?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

isndl posted:

My Clock app updated and now the font used for the numbers remind me of Comic Sans for some reason. :staredog:

I've got some bad news about the calculator app

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

codo27 posted:

I wonder if I could finally type worth a gently caress with that thing. Or if it would fit in my pocket? Or my car?

I like the tiny notch. Even if a really thin straight edgedbezel at the top and bottom of the screen would surely be better still.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google did a massive writeup of the Super Res Zoom.

https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/10/see-better-and-further-with-super-res.html

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
One good thing about living in the Midwest: my Pixel 3 shipped today and will be here tomorrow!

Now to figure out if Sprint knows what to do with it (my Pixel 1 threw them for some loops) or if this is the time I finally switch to T-Mobile. (If we didn't have a plan from the 90s that gets us a call center in the US and the occasional free phone when one breaks I'd switch over regardless.)

effika fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 17, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Google+Pixel+3+XL+Teardown/113656

Ifixit has done it's teardown of the Pixel 3 XL.

If you break the screen you have to gut the whole phone to replace it, battery replacement looks tricky, and you have to reglue the back back on. They also confirmed the screen is Samsung.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

effika posted:

One good thing about living in the Midwest: my Pixel 3 shipped today and will be here tomorrow!

Also in the midwest; my 3XL arrived earlier this morning. Ar Could have sworn I ordered it through the Google Store, but wound up being redirected to Fi customer service when attempting to get everything straightened out with regards to the purchase yesterday. Weird.

Does all Google stuff ship out of Illinois?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGbvF1yBsv8

I guess this is a way to advertise the Pixel 3.

Google sponsored, what is essentially, a music video for Eminem and shot it on the Pixel 3. They also had people strategically placed to record on their Pixel 3s.
Video quality doesn't look good? I'd like to give the benefit of doubt and assume that Youtube's compression is loving with everything, but that doesn't look like anything special. Actually, knowing that it's a professional musician, and if it wasn't for the helicopter/drone shots, this looks rather not good.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The video is 720p so the compression has to have some sort of impact, since it was presumably filmed in 4K.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

maltesh posted:

Does all Google stuff ship out of Illinois?

In Canada it's always out of Toronto. Illinois would be closer to me. Or better yet, Silicon Valley.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like the included USB-C headphones are pretty decent.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/10/17/17988574/google-pixel-usb-c-earbuds-review-assistant-headphones

I imagine though, like the Pixel Buds, results may vary depending on the shape of your ears since they are hard plastic.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Video quality doesn't look good? I'd like to give the benefit of doubt and assume that Youtube's compression is loving with everything, but that doesn't look like anything special. Actually, knowing that it's a professional musician, and if it wasn't for the helicopter/drone shots, this looks rather not good.

It's a refreshing change not having the typical youtube shallow depth of field from ultra expensive DSLRs. I didn't think the video was particularly compelling though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Canceled my launch-day pre-order from Google and re-ordered through Verizon to get the BoGo.

Both scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Weird thing is, mine (black XL) shipped out of PA, and the wife's (white XL) shipped out of Memphis.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google has responded to the European Union's $5 billion antitrust ruling by changing the way it bundles its apps on Android and allowing phone makers to sell "forked" versions of its free mobile operating system in the EU.

The company will now charge a licensing fee to device manufacturers that want to pre-install its suite of apps like Docs, YouTube and Gmail.

It will offer separate licenses for Search and Chrome.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/10/17/17988574/google-pixel-usb-c-earbuds-review-assistant-headphones

I imagine though, like the Pixel Buds, results may vary depending on the shape of your ears since they are hard plastic.

Oh, cool. I'll probably get these so I can stop worrying about battery life during the work day.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

A lot of folks with Oct 22-23 delivery estimates are getting theirs shipped today. Wouldn't be surprised to see mine pop up.

Mine shipped late last night, scheduled to arrived tomorrow or Friday.

Going with a spigen case like someone on here recommended.

Spigen Tough Armor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H5QBRPV/?coliid=I2EC1MQ3ACTV5&colid=1ZQUP9A8RSI38&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Veritas fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 17, 2018

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I ended up grabbing them since I had some leftover google store credit. They're fairly comfortable since they're not really intended to push into your ear that much. They just sort of rest there with the cord loop keeping them in place. No complaints so far - the sound is slightly better than the $30 skull candy earbuds I picked up at an airport in desperation so they're a success in that regard.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Installed the new camera and Avengers stickers on my P2XL and it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Wait, so google *didn't* gently caress up the launch of a phone for a change?

Figures it's the year I decide to pass and wait for the P4!