Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you're planning on watching The Fog for the challenge and haven't yet, you may want to hold off until Hallowe'en. The 4K remaster is hitting cinemas on that date. (Sadly Escape From New York, Prince of Darkness and They Live won't be out until November.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FRAN CHALLENGE #5: Birth of Horror
3. Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Quite frankly I really should have watched this sooner, and I kinda can't believe I haven't. About an hour or so I was wondering if it was really a horror movie or more of just a serial killer-themed crime procedural (but a really really good crime procedural!), but then once we got to the last hour and Clarice in Buffalo Bill's house we got the good stuff. The production design for that space in particular was outstanding. Creepy as gently caress.

All that said, I had two major issues. First, and this isn't really the fault of the movie, but jesus christ everything to do with Jaime Gumb's "transsexualism" is remarkably out of date. A man who makes a skin-suit out of women because he believes himself to be transgender (but isn't according to World Renowned Criminal Psychiatrist Hannibal Lector) is just.. i mean drat. I have to imagine it was hard enough to be trans in the early 90s without an Oscar award-winning movie making you out to be a murderer. I would be sort of fascinated to see where they would go if they attempted to make this movie again.

Which brings me to my second issue: I love the television show Hannibal too much to completely give myself over to Hopkins' portrayal of the good doctor. The TV show is just so completely designed for my sensibilities (amazing food photography, incredible cinematography, way more surreal and colorful and weird) that watching an incredible crime procedural that plays the character (relatively) straight is kind of uninteresting to me. I recognize the brilliance in Hopkins' work (and to a lesser extent the actors who play Jack Crawford and Dr. Chilton), but I'm so accustomed to Mads and Fishburne and Raul Esparza that they pale in comparison.

And actually, the biggest difference between the two is the thing I liked most about Silence of the Lambs; compared to Will Graham, Clarice Starling is very different. Jodie Foster does a really good job of selling being a woman in a very masculine world, and her scenes with Hannibal are more notable for her attempts to play with him (and failing miserably because she is still a student) than Hannibal's attempt to get inside her head. For a movie that is completely obsessed with the idea of gender (not always in positive ways), it needed a strong female lead to make it feel like thought was put into it instead of just playing it as a gimmick, and Foster really provides that.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Turns out I was right to have a bad feeling. I'm getting this out of the way so I can go back to watching good films.

146- Cabin in the Woods 2012 - borrowed DVD

TL,DR: I really hate this movie with a passion.

god bless.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm double posting because I want you to pick out one of my challenge movies. We're supposed to pick out something that's not from the US or Canada, right? Well here's what I've got in my collection that I have yet to watch:

Akira (Japan)
Eyes Without a Face (France)
Goodnight Mommy (Austria)
Let the Right One In (Sweden)
Raw (France/Belgium)

I'll watch the first of these to get two votes tomorrow night after dinner.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

M_Sinistrari posted:

Turns out I was right to have a bad feeling. I'm getting this out of the way so I can go back to watching good films.

146- Cabin in the Woods 2012 - borrowed DVD

I liked Cabin in the Woods enough at the time, but I’m overdue for a rewatch/reevaluation now that the world knows how much of a hack Joss Whedon is. I keep getting a self-obsessed CinemaSins vibe whenever I think about this movie today.

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm double posting because I want you to pick out one of my challenge movies. We're supposed to pick out something that's not from the US or Canada, right? Well here's what I've got in my collection that I have yet to watch:

Akira (Japan)
Raw (France/Belgium)

Akira rules and you need to watch it at some point, but not sure if it qualifies as a horror movie? Other than the Tetsuo plot, there’s not a ton of stuff that jumps out as horror.

I’d go with Raw.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 17, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The only answer to that is Let The Right One In.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Jedit posted:

The only answer to that is Let The Right One In.

Raw is great too, but Let the Right One In is wonderful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

Choco1980 posted:

#71. Singapore Sling (1990) A detective of sorts is losing his mind searching for a lover that went missing 3 years ago, and suffering from injury he collapses at the door to a house she was seen at. This house is home to an insane mother daughter (?) pair that spend their days in rough bdsm sexual incest, and killing their servants and others that come into their circle. They take the man in, calling him Singapore Sling after a recipe for the cocktail in his pocket as he will not speak, and take him captive, slowly training him through lots of sexual torture and degradation into becoming a part of their games.

This is another one where someone else made me watch it. It's...sort of? horror. It's sort of a lot of things, defying much categorization. It's very graphic, but filmed in black and white with shots that feel more at home in the 50s than the 90s. It's all full of transgressions and extreme behavior, yet all seen through a dream like haze of psychosis that makes you never quite sure what is going on, further impacted by the man only speaking in Greek narration, and the two women often instead breaking the fourth wall and speaking directly to the viewer about present events in past tense. It's a very strange and difficult film, but I did enjoy it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5
That's the only movie from those I've seen (for last year's challenge) and I completely agree. It's really weird and a bit difficult but I think this dreamy B&W shots make the whole thing feel artsy rather than exploitation-y, if it were shot in a grungy color. Also holy poo poo, 71 movies? But speaking of sex perverts:

13. The Neon Demon

A young girl named Jesse goes to LA to find fame and fortune in modeling/movies, and goes through the typical process of interviews castings and shoots. She has a very friendly makeup artist who invites her to a party, where she meets two other girls, one of whom brags about having so much work done, her doctor calls her Bionic Woman during an uncomfortable conversation in the bathroom. She lives in a motel ran by sleazy Keanu and one night he, or someone else, attempts to break into her room but fails and seems to attack a girl next door. She runs to her make artist's house in the hills where it doesn't really get better for her.

Like Singapore Sling, it has this dreamy, surreal ambiance throughout the whole movie and is generally just beautifully shot in the fake 80s post-Drive style, as is obvious from the poster. There isn't much of a plot and the characters are paper-thin, which is a determent to some degree, but the film works an experience in spite of it. At fist I thought it would be a #metoo thing but it subverted my expectations by having all men be pretty nice if a bit weird (except maybe Keanu) and going into a different, if also somewhat predictable direction. Everything goes very easy for Jesse and the other women notice that.

For a while I was concerned that this wouldn't qualify for Queer Horror, or even Horror at all, but then BAM! LESBIAN NECROPHILIA out of nowhere! And it goes downhill from there, or uphill, depending on how you look at it, and the third act is pretty bonkers. This is also where the LGBT stuff kicks in, though they're motivated throughout the whole film.

This is spoilery: there's obvious sexual tension between the makeup girl (Ruby) and Jesse from the very first scenes, though it's clearly mainly Ruby who's super horny for her. This escalates in the last act when Ruby tries to bang her while she's in a vulnerable state and without getting enthusiastic consent. After getting clearly rejected, she goes to her makeup artist job at a funeral home and fucks a sexy corpse instead. Upon returning home, Ruby and the other two girls from before chase Jesse around and push her into an empty pool. This seems like a "I can't have her so I have to kill her" deal, but also in a larger picture seems to be motivated by the vanity, jealousy and cutthroat competition in the business. Also they literally eat her to try to absorb some of her magic good luck/charm/charisma but that doesn't work out that great.

It could be trimmed down a bit from two hours and would benefit from more filled out characters, but I liked it as-is as well.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Fran Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"You gotta be loving kidding me."

The Thing (1982)
Commentary with Kurt Russell and John Carpenter

Absolutely the ultimate in practical effects. Incredible, timeless creature effects, just beyond disgusting ultimate-tier body horror. And the movie ain't bad, either. Few filmmakers or actors make anything this intense even when they're trying.

It was fun learning about all the times they were freezing on location, and all the times they were cooled down on the inside of a studio in 100 degree weather, which probably cost them a hundred dollars a minute to do.

I've watched this a couple of times with people who are brand new to it. Very quippy movie-watchers turn silent for this movie. It's the perfect setting for the perfect paranoia story. There's nothing more grim than the endless dark of the tundra. The score is fantastic, the pacing is fantastic, it's hard not to gush over this thing. Easily Carpenter's best.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

All that said, I had two major issues. First, and this isn't really the fault of the movie, but jesus christ everything to do with Jaime Gumb's "transsexualism" is remarkably out of date. A man who makes a skin-suit out of women because he believes himself to be transgender (but isn't according to World Renowned Criminal Psychiatrist Hannibal Lector) is just.. i mean drat. I have to imagine it was hard enough to be trans in the early 90s without an Oscar award-winning movie making you out to be a murderer. I would be sort of fascinated to see where they would go if they attempted to make this movie again.

Pretty much everything Buffalo Bill did was taken from something a real-life serial killer did. In this particular case, in the real world it was Ed Gein who did that. I haven't seen the movie in a few years, but I think Lector's interpretation is an attempt to deflect people away from reading Bill as transgender.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Cabin in the Woods supposed to be a takedown of horror movies? I thought that it was just saying society needs a release and horror movies provide that. And then there's an edgy ending because Josh Whedon is a hack. I didn't know it was supposed to be critical of the genre.

And I loving hate Josh Whedon, Firefly sucked and was racist, Buffy was mediocre, his Avengers movies are the worst MCU movies, and just personally the man should be fed through a woodchipper. But I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Friends Are Evil posted:

35. Corridors of Blood (1958). Directed by Robert Day.
Watched on FilmStruck

Most underwhelming name I've seen all month. Still, this is a competently made film. Very dry by today's standards, but this must have been hard to watch in the 50's. The real horror here is how horrible and intense surgical procedures in the 19th century were, which in it's defense, is extremely fertile ground. I'm surprised more horror films didn't/don't mine this kind of material. Boris Karloff is great as a doctor who gets addicted to his own anesthetic, and Christopher Lee is a scary motherfucker in his Babadook-rear end resurrectionist getup.

Lee rules in this, he's only in a couple scenes and doesn't even say much but he just looks like an evil bastard. And "Resurrection Joe" is a great name.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
29. Clive Barker's Underworld
1985 | dir. George Pavlou | YouTube
mandated by Choco1980

An hour and forty minutes that redefines bad films.

Clive Barker's prototype for Nightbreed is dull and ugly. It's a detective story involving a missing persons and a designer drug for monsters, until it is revealed that the entire ploy was to find the monsters to kill them. On a script level, I can see the potential, because all the good aspects of this story showed up in Nightbreed. This, like Nightbreed, didn't have the means to achieve the lofty intended goals. The script is still flawed on it's own. There is over-written dialogue throughout because there's a detective and a mystery.

The cinematography looks like a recreation from an old true crime show like Unsolved Mysteries. Syd Macartney, the DP, only worked on one film prior to this, and would eventually go on to direct what looks like abysmal BBC programming that you'd find at a flea market on VHS. It shows. The imdb page says this was filmed on 35mm, which can't be true, because it looks like it was filmed directly on VHS and then transferred onto film stock. Why someone would pay for that process, I don't know. This even got a limited theaterical release. Again, don't know why someone would decide that was a good idea after watching any single moment of this film.

Same, Clive. Same.

There is an subtext that, in a better film, would be interesting. The big reveal that the whole plot has been to destroy the creatures and their home is an interesting one. They are a marginalized aspect of society that are only safe hiding underground, amongst themselves. They are systematically oppressed. There are experimental drugs that allow for an insanely good high, but the negative consequences are equally as severe, and destroy the lives of the users. It's a satire that remains timeless, and yet, it's buried deep in this ugly boring movie.

Not Recommended.

Movies Seen: Hell House, LLC | Dagon | The Bird With the Crystal Plumage | Critters 2 | Serial Mom | Monster Squad | The Neon Demon | Motel Hell | Vampyr | Possession | Under The Skin | Martyrs | The Curse of the Werewolf | The Old Dark House | Children of the Corn | Assassination Nation | The Leopard Man | Halloween 2 | Häxan | Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood | What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? | Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things | Near Dark | The Witches | Tenebrae | Return of the Living Dead | Masque of the Red Death | Cast a Deadly Spell | Clive Barker's Underworld
Total: 29
Fran Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

29. The Terror (1963) - DVD

Jack Nicholson fistfights a bird while drowning. Rest of the movie sucks. "Shut my eyes for a minute" in the middle and felt no remorse or desire to rewind and catch up.

Tally: N/A Psycho (1960)*, 1. Halloween (1978), 2. Halloween II (1981), 3. Carnival of Souls (1962), 4. The Blob (1988), 5. I Bury the Living (1958), 6. Dead Men Walk (1943), 7. Nosferatu (1922), 8. Les Revenants (2002), 9. The Mummy's Hand (1940), 10. House on Haunted Hill (1959)*, 11. Lifeforce (1985), 12. The Gorilla (1939), 13. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960), 14. November (2017), 15. Doghouse (2009), 16 Sssssss (1973), 17. Maniac (1934), 18. Thirst (2009), 19. Horror Hotel (1960), 20. Event Horizon (1997)*, 21. In the Mouth of Madness (1994), 22. Frankenstein (1931)*, 23. Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (1967), 24. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), 25. The Funhouse (1981), 26. Beetlejuice (1988), 27. Fright Night (1985), 28. Son of Frankenstein (1939), 29. The Terror

Years Spanned: 95 (1922-2017)

Tally by Decade: '20s (I), '30s (V), '40s (II), '50s (II), '60s (VI), '70s (II), '80s (VI), '90s (II), 2000s (III), 2010s (I)

B&W/Color: 14/16

Rewatch/Total Counted: 3/29

Fran Challenges Complete: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

* Rewatch

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

26. Child's Play 3 (1991)
(blu-ray)

Eight years after the events of the first two films, Andy, now 16, finally leaves foster care and enrolls in a military school. Meanwhile, the toy company who made the Good Guy dolls decides to bring them back for the '90s, and reopens the factory where Chucky was defeated last time. Despite the literally hundreds of existing dolls and doll parts that are still laying around, they decide to melt down the disgusting hunk of blood and plastic that used to be Chucky and use that to make a new doll instead. Once resurrected, Chucky sets out to hunt down Andy and claim his body... again.

Everyone has been talking about how this is the worst one in the series so I went in with zero expectations, and actually thought it was... alright? It doesn't live up to the first two at all, but it also is not nearly as bad as the worst films in some other major horror franchises (I'm looking at you, Halloween... and Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street and Hellraiser and, well, basically all of them). The first two acts are dull and pretty lousy, but much like the second film it picks up substantially towards the end. The climax is set in a carnival haunted house ride, and I thought it was fun - Chucky performing a voodoo ritual on the top of a mountain of (fake) skulls was pretty great. Note that I am a sucker for bright colored lights, though.

Overall this is just a mediocre film and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really want to watch all of the Child's Play films, but you could also do a whole lot worse. If this is the worst one in the series, then I'm really looking forward to the rest.

Movies Seen: The Witching Season | Lifeforce | Terrifier | Unsane | I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House | From Beyond | 13 Ghosts | The Ritual | Child's Play | Twice-Told Tales | Beyond the Gates | Cat People (1982) | Fright Night | The Vampire Lovers | The Vampire Doll | Frightmare | Honeybee | Murder Party | Child's Play 2 | The Beyond | The Night of a Thousand Cats | Mandy | My Soul to Take | Apostle | Near Dark | Child's Play 3
Total: 26
Fran challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is Cabin in the Woods supposed to be a takedown of horror movies? I thought that it was just saying society needs a release and horror movies provide that. And then there's an edgy ending because Josh Whedon is a hack. I didn't know it was supposed to be critical of the genre.

And I loving hate Josh Whedon, Firefly sucked and was racist, Buffy was mediocre, his Avengers movies are the worst MCU movies, and just personally the man should be fed through a woodchipper. But I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods

The thing about Cabin in the Woods is that it's "takedown" of horror ends up being completely toothless and irrelevant because by the time of it's release in 2012, the genre had really begun to freshen up and we'd seen some new creative faces enter the scene. So Whedon's idea of "horror is a stagnant genre that makes the same few movies over and over, they should throw out the formula and try something new", ends up feeling totally outdated and irrelevent when you look the previous few years when you had stuff like Insidious, House of the Devil, The Innkeepers, You're Next, Kill List, Dead Snow, Drag Me to Hell, etc.(there's plenty more I could list) coming out in the few years before Cabin in the Woods.

Had he made the movie 5 years earlier I might give it more credit.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 17, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The thing about Cabin in the Woods is that it's "takedown" of horror ends up being completely toothless and irrelevant because by the time of it's release in 2012, the genre had really begun to freshen up and we'd seen some new creative faces enter the scene. So Whedon's idea of "horror is a stagnant genre that makes the same few movies over and over, they should throw out the formula and try something new", ends up feeling totally outdated and irrelevent when you look the previous few years when you had stuff like Insidious, House of the Devil, The Innkeepers, You're Next, Kill List, Dead Snow, Drag Me to Hell, etc.(there's plenty more I could list) coming out in the few years before Cabin in the Woods.

Had he made the movie in 5 years earlier I might give it more credit.

It's also toothless by the fact that all the movies he's taking down are objectively better than anything he himself has written or directed.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

gey muckle mowser posted:

26. Child's Play 3 (1991)
(blu-ray)

I love just how how eagerly Tyler wanted to play with the obviously murderous Chucky doll. The other thing that stood out to me in this one is how often Chucky sounded like he was doing a Jack Nicholson impression. It's possible he's sounded like that all the way through and I just now noticed it though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

Had he made the movie 5 years earlier I might give it more credit.

I didn't read it as criticizing horror tho. Like, by far the best part of the movie is when all the monsters get loose and there's all kinds of crazy poo poo happening in the compound. And before that the cells of the monsters go on for a long way and there's tons of different things in them, and the people in the compound are really enjoying watching the events unfold. If the message was supposed to be horror movies are bad and stagnant, why does the movie show all the variety of horror monsters and how much fun it is to watch them?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Whedon called it a 'loving hate letter' because according to him, he was bothered by the state of horror films at the time. So it's supposed to be a critique of horror films by pointing out how the conventions within a horror film are stupid. The only film of his I liked was the Buffy movie because it was a new concept at the time. Everything else he's done's been awful. Firefly is pretty much Lost Cause fanfic, the Buffy franchise was lovely, his superhero stuff falls into the same bad writing we all know from him. There was even a court case over Cabin in the Woods because he ripped a good chunk of it from a book a guy was selling near the coffee shop Whedon patronized frequently. I've got a .pdf of it buried somewhere and the only reason I can see for the case getting dismissed was Whedon had money and the other guy's eaking along. There's too much obvious similarity between the two.

Only reason I know this much about a guy I hate is to paraphrase a line from The Wire, "When you take a swing at the King, you better not miss". I know a lot of Whedonites who can't wrap thier minds around someone not worshiping at the altar of Whedon and won't take a simple, "I didn't like it". You practically have to do a dissertation argument level of explaining how you have given Whedon's work every possible chance and more, then detail everything you don't like because they will jump on the slightest thing to dismiss 'you just didn't give it a chance'. I wish the worst of fates on Whedon, to be rendered irrelevant and forgotten to the point he doesn't even warrant a footnote.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

I didn't read it as criticizing horror tho. Like, by far the best part of the movie is when all the monsters get loose and there's all kinds of crazy poo poo happening in the compound. And before that the cells of the monsters go on for a long way and there's tons of different things in them, and the people in the compound are really enjoying watching the events unfold. If the message was supposed to be horror movies are bad and stagnant, why does the movie show all the variety of horror monsters and how much fun it is to watch them?

Remember though that those monsters were in storage, they weren't being used. The idea is that the American team keeps using the same go-to monsters, and that the sacrifices just aren't as effective as they used to be because of it. There are a ton of more interesting monsters available to them but year after year they fall back on cannibal rednecks or whatever.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

Remember though that those monsters were in storage, they weren't being used. The idea is that American team keeps using the same go-to monsters, and that the sacrifices just aren't as effective as they used to be because of it. There are a ton of more interesting monsters available to them but year after year they fall back on cannibal rednecks or whatever.

It was the victims that chose the monster though. The victims can't be the producers or movie creators, because that metaphor wouldn't make any sense. The victims have to be the audience, and the people in the compound running the thing have to be the producers/creators because they were actually running it, even though they were literally the audience because they were the ones watching it.

So the criticism following from that would be that movie audiences need to stop watching cannibal movies?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

It was the victims that chose the monster though. The victims can't be the producers or movie creators, because that metaphor wouldn't make any sense. The victims have to be the audience, and the people in the compound running the thing have to be the producers/creators because they were actually running it, even though they were literally the audience because they were the ones watching it.

So the criticism following from that would be that movie audiences need to stop watching cannibal movies?

Yea definitely Whedon is saying that we the audience are complicit in it and need to be more demanding of fresh new ideas in horror. He puts part of the blame on us and part of the blame on the industry for giving audiences the bare minimum of what they demand and nothing more.

But again, my point would be that by the time Whedon was doing this the genre had already entered a new and interesting phase so he's calling for something that was already happening.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

147- Nomads 1986 - PRIME

This one had a good premise but an iffy presentation.

We have a vagrant on the beach who turns out to be a well traveled anthropologist, a roaming band of bikers who might not be what they seem, a doctor who has mental flashes of the anthropologist's last few days, and an Inuit trickster spirit legend.

With those elements, you'd think you could put together an interesting film, but Nomads seems to just amble along rather than pull things together better. The actors do as good a job as they can considering what they're working with.

For as much as I'd recommend better films than this, I wouldn't mind seeing this remade with some adjustments made.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Jolo posted:

I love just how how eagerly Tyler wanted to play with the obviously murderous Chucky doll. The other thing that stood out to me in this one is how often Chucky sounded like he was doing a Jack Nicholson impression. It's possible he's sounded like that all the way through and I just now noticed it though.

I liked the security guard at a carnival who has multiple guns, one of which is just loose in an unlocked desk drawer

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I liked the security guard at a carnival who has multiple guns, one of which is just loose in an unlocked desk drawer

Sounds completely believable and accurate to me :shrug:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
20. The Return of the Living Dead 1985

This movie is just entertaining goofy fun.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

First Man 2018
I don't think this probably counts, but there are some harrowing and tense space mission scenes. They work in part because I don't remember which Apollo or Gemini scenes were actually successful. Plus, there were about 100 different moments where the movie paused and I hoped against hope a monster would show up. Nope. Jerks played it straight. And Neil Armstrong was haunted by the ghost of his daughter! Lots of wasted horror potential here, unless you find men who can't talk about their feelings horrific.

Also jesus gently caress when you're used to 90 minute horror romps a 145 minute movie is a drain.
4/5 scary space scenes, 1/5 everything else

21. Apostle 2018

A man sneaks into an island run by a cult to try and rescue his kidnapped sister. The first half of the movie is a cool as hell sneak-em-up, made a bit goofy by the fact that Dan Stevens glares at everyone malevolently. Who among us is a spy and traitor? I dunno man, it could be the swarthy bloke in the back who looks constantly hungover and angry. Nah I'm sure he's cool.

Those are the crazy eyes he looks at everything with!

The second half of the film is where the poo poo hits the fan, and it's a bit less enjoyable because the whole house of cards collapses in multiple places all at once, in violent ways. I wanted Dan Stevens to wreak a terrible vengeance, and not be helped along by several other things also falling apart at once. Still, it was a fun ride.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I don't think M_Sinistrari likes The Cabin in the Woods.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Only reason I know this much about a guy I hate is to paraphrase a line from The Wire, "When you take a swing at the King, you better not miss". I know a lot of Whedonites who can't wrap thier minds around someone not worshiping at the altar of Whedon and won't take a simple, "I didn't like it". You practically have to do a dissertation argument level of explaining how you have given Whedon's work every possible chance and more, then detail everything you don't like because they will jump on the slightest thing to dismiss 'you just didn't give it a chance'. I wish the worst of fates on Whedon, to be rendered irrelevant and forgotten to the point he doesn't even warrant a footnote.

Him using his position of power to be a predator towards the young actresses that worked on his shows wasn't enough for them to sever?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DC Murderverse posted:

Akira (Japan)
Raw (France/Belgium)

I'm going to vote for Goodnight Mommy because I don't hear enough people talking about it.

VVV :hfive:

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 17, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm going to vote for Goodnight Mommy because I don't hear enough people talking about it.

Seconded, Goodnight Mommy is really good and underseen. So that's two votes, Goodnight Mommy it is!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Him using his position of power to be a predator towards the young actresses that worked on his shows wasn't enough for them to sever?

Nope, which floors me. It's the same with the sci-fi and fantasy authors that end up having done horrible things. It's like just because whoever the predator is happens to make nerdly poo poo they like, those get a free pass and all the others get appropriately decried. Only reason I can think for it beside they're being hypocrites is they haven't had to have that moment of reflecting on how to balance something you like vs the creator being awful like we have regarding Polanski and Salva.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

Akira (Japan)
Raw (France/Belgium)

I'm gonna vote for Raw or Eyes Without A Face, but Let the Right One In is just as good.

I haven't seen Goodnight Mommy or Akira.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Seven in Heaven (2018) [Netflix Streaming]

A pair of teenagers find themselves in a parallel dimension after playing seven minutes in heaven. Never particularly good looking or compelling, and I lost what engagement I had with the scenario when it was revealed that it wasn't another timeline or alternative present or whatever but instead some sort of "evil dimension" where your bad thoughts come true, so it's no longer the characters trying to react to another life but instead just being chased around by inept monsters that look like their classmates.

Watched: #1 The Terror (2018), #2 The Cabin in the Woods (2011), #3 Gone Girl (2014), #4 Annihilation (2018), #5 Seven (1995), #6 Mandy (2018), #7 Dead Alive (1992), #8 Would You Rather (2012), #9 1922 (2017), #10 Infinity Chamber (2017), #11 Venom (2018), #12 Dagon (2001), #13 Demonic Toys (1992), #14 Murder Party (2007), #15 A Quiet Place (2018), #16 Godzilla (1954), #17 The Vault (2017), #18 Cargo (2017), #19 Berlin Syndrome (2017), #20 Doom (2005), #21 Predator (1987), #22 Dawn of the Dead (1978), #23 Gremlins (1984), #24 The Andromeda Strain (1971), #25 Split (2016), #26 Seven in Heaven (2018)

Fran Challenges: #7 [The World Is A Scary Place] Godzilla (1954), #3 [Hometown Horror] Dawn of the Dead (1978)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

I'm gonna vote for Raw or Eyes Without A Face, but Let the Right One In is just as good.

I haven't seen Goodnight Mommy or Akira.
Raw and Let the Right One In are both good, as is Goodnight Mommy. Akira wouldn't really count anyway, would it? But between those three it's really a tossup and I'd just go with what sounds more interesting based on the description. Also consider Martyrs if you want some lighter French cinema :v:

In shocking news, it seems that the new Halloween movie isn't garbage!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

Yea definitely Whedon is saying that we the audience are complicit in it and need to be more demanding of fresh new ideas in horror. He puts part of the blame on us and part of the blame on the industry for giving audiences the bare minimum of what they demand and nothing more.

But again, my point would be that by the time Whedon was doing this the genre had already entered a new and interesting phase so he's calling for something that was already happening.

so it turns out that the one Whedon thing I thought I liked I actually hate.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
#72. Prom Night 2: Hello Mary Lou (1987) In 1957, a prank gone wrong leads to the prom queen dying in a fiery blaze. 30 years later, her spirit is set loose and possesses a new girl to get her revenge and to get her crown.

Yet another in the "shameful gaps" in my film watching, this one I recall seeing previews for countless times when it was new and I was a kid. Something about the deep voiced announcer chanting that rhythmic title that sticks with you. Anyways, you can definitely tell that they wanted this to start rivaling Nightmare On Elm Street, as about halfway through the film everything turns to rubber reality and crazy chaos dream logic. It's way over the top, and tons of fun once you get past the kind of sluggish beginning.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

#73. Ghutan (2007) Ravi is a lothario, leeching all his success as a fashion ceo and his money off his wife Catherine, whom he resents greatly, while womanizing on the side. The pair get in a fight, and Ravi believes he has killed her, and gets his best friend to help him dispose of the body in a local cemetery. However, she turns out to be alive, so the pair bury her alive instead, and later her ghost re-enters her body to create an "evil" and seek out her revenge on her killers.

I decided to experiment when I watched this, and looked up Indian horror films with english subtitles on youtube. This film, whose name translates to "suffocation", was the first hit. It was just okay in my opinion. The camera work almost felt like I was watching a telenovela, and the script was like, out of a j-horror or something, but it all came together well enough I suppose.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

#74. Zombie 5: Killing Birds (1987) In the mid 60s, a soldier and bird enthusiast returns home to deep woods Louisiana discover his wife in bed with another man, leading to a killing spree, and he himself being blinded by his own birds. 20 years later, a local university set out on an expedition to find an endangered breed of bird and find themselves camping out in the same home, where the ghosts of the past have stirred in anger...

You know, this could be a fine middle-of-the-road late 80s small time horror film with its script, and even okay small time effects, not to mention the atmosphere that the sweltering bayou gives the film. However, the acting is just so very awful. Just absolutely dreadful. It's the antithesis of acting, it's just blandly reading lines, and it pulls you right out. They spent all their cast money on Robert Vaughn, as the 80s version of the blind, bird loving vet, and nowhere else.

:spooky: out of 5

#75 Shocking Dark (1989) In the not too distant future, pollution has ruined the city of Venice. When contact is lost with the station in charge of the cleanup effort, a crew of soldiers and scientists is sent into the undeground tunnels to investigate. There they discover that mutant monsters lurk around every corner!

Haha, this film is ridiculous. I'm sure James Cameron is not too thrilled by its existence, as it's a blatant copy of Aliens and Terminator rolled into one. The acting actually isn't that bad, all things considered, but most of the action is relegated to dark, pipe filled hallways, so your mileage may vary.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: out of 5

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Seconded, Goodnight Mommy is really good and underseen. So that's two votes, Goodnight Mommy it is!

You did notice that LTROI got two votes before any other movie apart from RAW was even mentioned, right?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Wasn't the movie kind of trapped in development hell for a few years? Yeah, wikipedia says filmed in 2009 and released in 2012. Timewise I can't really say that that makes it better. For maximum impact it ideally would have been put out in response to the 90s, which were a dire dire time for horror flicks.

I haven't gone back to anything Whedon since he was outed as an rear end in a top hat, but I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods when I saw it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

graventy posted:

I haven't gone back to anything Whedon since he was outed as an rear end in a top hat, but I enjoyed Cabin in the Woods when I saw it.

When you strip away Whedon's bullshit and just look at the core concept of the facility having to make sure the rite's performed, there's potential for a good story to work with. It opens questions as to how was this handled during events like the World Wars or the Black Plague. Were the monsters completely created or are they what's left of the paranormal world? But with Whedon's 'I'm just oh so clever, ADORE ME!' style writing, it's wasted to the point I think Uwe Boll could've done a better job of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The First Purge(2018)

I'd heard positive things about this, and despite that the movie still ended up exceeding my expectations. Election Year was ok, but didn't leave me excited to see what they would do next. And they really did go in an unexpected and awesome direction.

Hopefully this will be the beginning of big things happening for Y'lan Noel, who is really drat good and succeeds here in creating a fully formed three dimensional character who's also a stone-cold badass. I think he accomplishes in one film(credit to the script as well) what Grillo's character needed two films to do. He's certainly flawed, willing to murder his rivals and overlook kids being hurt on his corners, but he has principles that he is willing to fight for. Not everything he does is good for his community, but when the government comes to destroy that community and everyone in it he is willing to risk everything to defend them. You understand a lot about this guy and why he is the way he is in a pretty short amount of screen time, it's very impressive.

And the action is top-notch for a movie that you don't go into expecting great action choreography. There are a few real fist-pumping moments and plenty of tension, but you might even say that the movie arguably isn't even horror. I considered that but then I thought about it and realized that it's absolutely a horror movie, just one that seems so possible that it's tempting to throw it in the thriller/crime drama pile. As sad and terrifying as it is, and as much as I wouldn't have felt this way 2 years ago, the idea of white supremacists perpetrating a government sanctioned pogrom in a majority black neighborhood seems like something that could realistically happen if we don't take serious and immediate steps to change the path this country is on.

I think to show all that and also make it entertaining and consumable to a mass audience is really a big accomplishment and is a very bold direction for the series to go. I respect that they took a risk and I think it most definitely paid off.

Total: 1. Frankenstein(1931) 2. The Old Dark House(1932) 3. The Bride of Frankenstein(1935) 4. The Mummy(1932) 5. The Invisible Man(1933) 6. The Wolfman(1941) 7. House of Frankenstein(1944) 8. House of Dracula(1945) 9. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein(1948) 10. The Boogeyman Will Get You(1942) 11. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms(1953) 12.Gojira(1954) 13. Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) 14. The Night of the Hunter(1955) 15. The Curse of Frankenstein(1957) 16. Brides of Dracula(1960) 17. The Tomb of Ligeia(1964) 18. Blood and Black Lace(1964) 19. Frankenstein Created Woman(1967) 20. Quatermass and the Pit(1967) 21. Don't Look Now(1973)22. Dracula A.D. 1972 23. Phantom of the Paradise(1974) 24. The Wicker Man(1973) 25. Nosferatu The Vampyre(1979) 26. The Fog(1980) 27. An American Werewolf in London(1981) 28. Prince of Darkness(1987) 29. A Nightmare on Elm Street(1984) 30. C.H.U.D.(1984) 31. Candyman(1992) 32. Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh(1995) 33. Mimic(1997) 34. Scream(1996) 35. Audition(1999) 36. Cursed(2005) 37. Saw(2004) 38. Drag Me To Hell(2009) 39. Slither(2006) 40. Freddy vs. Jason(2003) 41. The First Purge(2018)

• Locked thread