Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I personally am not sure Mal'ganis is OP, but I played 5 matches (which ofc had 1 in each match) and one thing I would complain about is that he is too mobile for a tank. But perhaps thats not a bad thing, assuming that he is less good than Diablo, ETC etc at other stuff.

The other thing that happened today is that we had a Tassadar on both teams in one match. New bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Elysium posted:

Also I noticed what was maybe a bug, and I had full vision of the enemy Protector on Volskaya while blind as a bat.

It seems like there are a few "neutral" things that give you vision like merc camp turrets or the healing camp beacon so its likely a bug related to those

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

kaesarsosei posted:

I personally am not sure Mal'ganis is OP, but I played 5 matches (which ofc had 1 in each match) and one thing I would complain about is that he is too mobile for a tank. But perhaps thats not a bad thing, assuming that he is less good than Diablo, ETC etc at other stuff.

The other thing that happened today is that we had a Tassadar on both teams in one match. New bug?

His mobility is really the main thing going for him, as body blocking is really his only peel method that doesn't have a long setup time of hitting Q 3 times or waiting for a second for E to charge up.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Yeah if anyone is defending Mal'ganis its because they paid money for him. End of loving story.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah if anyone is defending Mal'ganis its because they paid money for him. End of loving story.

Nope

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
After two games against Mal'Ganis I can say that Cho'Gall continues to be the best champion in the game, and can solve all the world's problems using friendship and harmony. Play more Cho, kill more dreadlords.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Thank god we got another Hero that makes non-blinking Melee heroes completely loving useless thats just what this game needed guys really dodged a bullet there

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Agree.

He's powerful when not countered, but very counterable.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Zodiac5000 posted:

After two games against Mal'Ganis I can say that Cho'Gall continues to be the best champion in the game, and can solve all the world's problems using friendship and harmony. Play more Cho, kill more dreadlords.

I'm guessing your opponents didn't use the HP swapping ult very well?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dietrich posted:

Agree.

He's powerful when not countered, but very counterable.

Yeah, hes going to dominate quick matches where you don't get any of his numerous counters, but if you fail to draft a counter in non lovely game modes then it's your own fault.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
requiring a counter isnt good design and it is correct to not like it.

better against certain comps = fine, incredibly op if not drafted around = moronic

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Thank god we got another Hero that makes non-blinking Melee heroes completely loving useless thats just what this game needed guys really dodged a bullet there

This hero that Illidan can pick up and throw in the garbage with trivial ease is massively OP guys!!!

More than half his kit is susceptible to being interrupted but he’s just so unstoppable l!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Enh countering stuff in draft is an integral part of the game. I guess you can argue about to how hard one hero should counter another but there's nothing wrong with certain heroes being strong/weak against others.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

This hero that Illidan can pick up and throw in the garbage with trivial ease is massively OP guys!!!

More than half his kit is susceptible to being interrupted but he’s just so unstoppable l!

Interupt the guy that instantly sleeps anyone in melee range with a single button push, cool cool strategy you got there.

This is just a repeat of the Tracer/Genji situation. If the only way to beat a Hero is "pick 3-4 very select counters" then it's a loving problem.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You're saying a hero loses a fantasy 45 second 1v1 duel with illidan? Must be a trash hero then.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Interupt the guy that instantly sleeps anyone in melee range with a single button push, cool cool strategy you got there

You might not understand his kit as well as you think you do.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
+1 for don't think he's that OP, particularly in comparison to stuff like release maiev and immediate post rework kerrigan. I'd call him overall good and situationally powerful. And to be clear, I haven't bought him. That's just my impression from playing against him. Maybe that will change as people figure out his kit, but it isn't so intrinsically busted that derps can clear the board with him.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

This is just a repeat of the Tracer/Genji situation. If the only way to beat a Hero is "pick 3-4 very select counters" then it's a loving problem.

He has more than a dozen viable counters from across every role. You just need someone who has short cool down hard CC

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

So then why does he still beat Sonya, Diablo and Muradin

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I bet the experts here always interrupt haymakers too and havent seen one go off in weeks. Very impressive players on this forum.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

On one hand, this is a true statement:

No Wave posted:

requiring a counter isnt good design and it is correct to not like it.

better against certain comps = fine, incredibly op if not drafted around = moronic

On the other hand, this is a pretty good indication that you need to take a break:

No Wave posted:

I bet the experts here always interrupt haymakers too and havent seen one go off in weeks. Very impressive players on this forum.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Interupt the guy that instantly sleeps anyone in melee range with a single button push, cool cool strategy you got there.

Instantly is after .75 seconds, during which he stands still and does an obvious windup animation.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Has anyone said malg'anus yet

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

So then why does he still beat Sonya, Diablo and Muradin

Possibly because your Diablo was bad? I’m a Diablo one trick who occasionally plays other tanks (mostly Garrosh) and I spent all day yesterday playing Mal’ganis. Nothing Mal’ganis does bothers Diablo much other than Dark Conversion which is easily interruptible by two different short cooldown buttons. Stuns are unremarkable against Diablo as his only cast is Unstoppable, Mal’ganis’ damage is low enough that the leech from AAs or Flame Stomp can sustain you well enough, and the sleep is mildly annoying but also easily interrupted. I don’t see a universe in which Mal’ganis is styling all over Diablo without a massive skill disparity.

That being said, I cannot lol harder at the people crying about how unstoppable he is. His sleep and both ults are very interruptible and landing an interrupt on either ult is generally going to shut Mal’ganis down completely, if not get him killed. So much of his team fight sustain is tied up in being able to heal to full off the ults, particularly since he’s encouraged to be going deep and taking a lot of hate. He feels very strong when Quick Match does Quick Match Things, but literally any interaction at all with his channels and he feels like a middling to strong brawler to me depending on comp.

He’s nothing like Genji/Tracer who fold only to very specific types of CC.

Ps I bought him with gold but spent real $$$$$ on his gem skin like I do with every new tank, this invalidates my opinion because reasons

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 17, 2018

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Kith posted:

On one hand, this is a true statement:

On the other hand, this is a pretty good indication that you need to take a break:

I mean people act like .75 seconds is a loving eternity and disregard the fact that most hard cc moves in this game have a start up themselves

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'd rather they balanced him without the "interruptible channel" design... but I guess with him and meph it might become a pattern now, to give ults that exact weakness and jacking the numbers up if it goes off in full. Dont really like it tbh.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 17, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mal'ganis is a pretty solid tank with a handful of extremely strong interactions. Outside of those interactions (several of which can be countered rather easily), he's very manageable as an opponent. I'm reasonably certain that people are having trouble with him because they're not used to countering him yet, as is the case with pretty much every new hero ever.

I still think it's total bullshit that Fueled By Torment is so strong against so many niche interactions, though.

Kith fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 17, 2018

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
I took Fueled into a D.Va last night and it was super great. :rip:

Speaking of which, the 13 Rush talent that makes you faster each time you’re healed by a hero seems incredibly good with HoT heroes like Whitemane. I had a pocket whitemane and spent the entire game zipping around at ridiculous speeds.

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

No Wave posted:

I only use voice commands to control my characters too, so I can paint landscapes while I master rank. Sucks that you're a fleshy, imperfect mortal.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Annnnnd after one day, 58.8% Winrate in Diamond and Masters and #1 pick/ban. Who saw that coming.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Better nerf artanis too since his win rate is even higher!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Conceptually i dont see how malganis can work as a tank if he's balanced. Someone with 45% lifesteal on all his abilities has to be profitable to CC, but the main tank is the character you want to eat the enemy's CC. We'll see how it shakes out.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

my boy Kel'thuzad is a good counter against Mal'Ganis. Just chain him when he starts winding for the sleep and yank him elsewhere.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Annnnnd after one day, 58.8% Winrate in Diamond and Masters and #1 pick/ban. Who saw that coming.

This is why Blizzard does balance patches 24 hours after new hero releases, err, wait, hmmmmmm

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a bit overtuned but first day winrates mean next to nothing, and neither do pick/bans. Almost every new hero released is first ban for a few days at least. If he does get tuned down it’ll be interesting to see which parts of his kit they target. Less sustain? Longer ult channels? Cooldowns?

He’s new and requires interaction to shut down. It’ll take the community more than a day to adjust to playing with that in mind, and that’s okay. Once that happens is when we’ll get a good sense of just how good he actually is.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

I saw a valeera clowning on him by silencing him once he dove in but I dont know if it was just because he was a bad malganus

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I got owned pretty good by Gul'dan just Horrifying me every time I went blind as a bat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I like a hero = "people are still learning how to counter the new hero"
I don't like a hero = "people are still learning how to play as the new hero"

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
^^^ Both are true, really. I don’t think he’s overly difficult to play or learn to counter, since “save my CC button for Important Thing” is a fairly basic moba concept, and as a self sustaining dive tank his play style isn’t wholly different from someone like Diablo.

I don’t imagine it’ll take long to figure out where his balance stands but a 24 hour later GOTCHA NERDS is idiotic either way.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I saw a valeera clowning on him by silencing him once he dove in but I dont know if it was just because he was a bad malganus

Nah that sounds about right? Almost all of his tankiness comes from ability usage until later on if you’re taking AA talents, so that sounds like a rough time. I struggled yesterday against Anna too, though it wasn’t insurmountable - the grenade and the sleep dart are a wicked pair against his kit.

2 SPOOKY fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What little I played against him yesterday made me think that he had a little beef and sustain, but that people didn't know to have a cc waiting for him when he does his sleep or bat ult. When I was on a good team I saw people coordinating to take him out like they were dealing with a Cho'Gall. It worked, but it was probably overkill. We used a Lunara.