Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I just platted this game, beat the final postgame boss, and saw the epic feels final credits. Amazing game, one of my favorites of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Congrats, that's a big plat

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I just platted this game, beat the final postgame boss, and saw the epic feels final credits. Amazing game, one of my favorites of all time.

nice, thats my current goal. im on like hour 80 but maybe 12 of those have just been letting it sit idle

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I lent it to a friend after platting but I’m deffo going back sooner than not, it’s just a complete masterpiece

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I do kinda want to start up again already

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The little things in this game are so good.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I do kinda want to start up again already

I’m always tempted to do with with really great games but now I like to wait a bit so it’s not as fresh.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

awesome, grats gamer

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Started playing this last night. It’s my first dragon quest so I was a little iffy about it at the beginning but I got past the tutorial area and I’m fully hooked now. Erik sounds like a British guy who grew up in Boston and every time he talks it makes me chuckle a bit

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

enjoy. it only gets better

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Antoine Silvere posted:

Started playing this last night. It’s my first dragon quest so I was a little iffy about it at the beginning but I got past the tutorial area and I’m fully hooked now. Erik sounds like a British guy who grew up in Boston and every time he talks it makes me chuckle a bit

enjoy man, you have a lot of great gaming ahead

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
god drat act 2 just throws bosses at you cool

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

well the one way it doesn't get better is that the soundtrack just grates man. i know he's old as hell and also has weird ideas but usually even his midi stuff has more variety than what we get here

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Zas posted:

well the one way it doesn't get better is that the soundtrack just grates man. i know he's old as hell and also has weird ideas but usually even his midi stuff has more variety than what we get here

A majority of the soundtrack is taken from older games in the series. What more "variety" could you possibly want?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i dunno man, its like stuff sometimes doesn't fit the cut scenes, i don't like the overworld theme much, that kinda thing.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it's weird saying anything bad about the game though because at least right now it's like my favorite jrpg ever

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i also was not a fan of the soundtrack but i installed the orchestral version mod and its a lot better

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

A majority of the soundtrack is taken from older games in the series. What more "variety" could you possibly want?

the main overworld theme drove me insane after a while. a few dozen hours in when i entered a new area and that song just kicked back up again I got kind of pissed

its not a huge deal but they use that track to cover too many areas imo, its the only complaint i have for the whole game though lol

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I don’t necessarily hate that track but yeah it’s overused. Actually for as much as I love the game I don’t feel strongly either way about the music. I tried the orchestral mod but that wasn’t the problem.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Oim still playing this game insanely slowly and the sand boss in gallipolos on hard monsters seems insanely unfair he does and air sand attack that hits all my level 14 characters for 1/2 their health and then immediately follows up with another attack sometimes sand again which straight up kills veronica and selena before I can even move. Fuuuu

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

Oim still playing this game insanely slowly and the sand boss in gallipolos on hard monsters seems insanely unfair he does and air sand attack that hits all my level 14 characters for 1/2 their health and then immediately follows up with another attack sometimes sand again which straight up kills veronica and selena before I can even move. Fuuuu

it's a bullshit fight and you need to get lucky, it evens out after that but that fight is just horseshit on hard mode

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

a tip, and this is really lame, but its a lame fight so:
the hooded mages near the ruins in the desert are ideal for some XP farming, they spawn in big groups, theyre easy and give a good amount for the area. they also get metal slimes sometimes. it can help turn the fight in your favor

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
I’ve had the fight music stuck in my head all day. Can’t stop thinking about this game

I think I messed up trying to spec Erik into both boomerangs and knives. When do I get the chance to respec? I know you do it at churches but I haven’t seen the option to do so yet

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Antoine Silvere posted:

I’ve had the fight music stuck in my head all day. Can’t stop thinking about this game

I think I messed up trying to spec Erik into both boomerangs and knives. When do I get the chance to respec? I know you do it at churches but I haven’t seen the option to do so yet

It's story-gated but it's super early. I think you definitely get it by the time you get another party member but it might be before then. It's extremely cheap and there are lots of reasons to do it often

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Antoine Silvere posted:

like the first or second campfire of the game lol you can do it very early and cheaply, dw

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Cool, thanks. i'm in hotto now so i'm assuming i'm pretty close

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

It’s called rectification since the church function names are deliberately ambiguous

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I never really respec, I kinda just go with whatever default weapons the party show up with. Seems to work okay.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Antoine Silvere posted:

Cool, thanks. i'm in hotto now so i'm assuming i'm pretty close

I think that’s right when you get the option IIRC.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

my morning jackass posted:

I never really respec, I kinda just go with whatever default weapons the party show up with. Seems to work okay.

I'm doing spears on selena becuase i assume it has that 50/50 crit chance move in there plus her sister has wands already

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I'm doing spears on selena becuase i assume it has that 50/50 crit chance move in there plus her sister has wands already

I didn’t initially because of the hit to magical mending but now I think I may switch since her clothes and accessories add to that now anyways. Are spears really that good for crit?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

they're different wands

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

my morning jackass posted:

I didn’t initially because of the hit to magical mending but now I think I may switch since her clothes and accessories add to that now anyways. Are spears really that good for crit?

Idk. The old games have a specific spear skill that gives you either a miss or a crit 50/50 good for metal slimes and sometimes a hail mary move. Im assuming its the ? in the spear skill grid but I dont know for sure since i havent unlocked it. Plus you can always respect pretty ez tbh

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

they're different wands

This as well

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
here's what i've mostly used:

MC: Greatsword
Erik: Double Knives
Knight: Axe + Shield
Serena: Wand + Shield
Jade: Claws
Sylv: Whip
Veronica: Heavy Wand
Rab: Heavy Wand

not sure what i want to shuffle around to avoid the double up. i don't think rab or v can use spears?

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Idk. The old games have a specific spear skill that gives you either a miss or a crit 50/50 good for metal slimes and sometimes a hail mary move. Im assuming its the ? in the spear skill grid but I dont know for sure since i havent unlocked it. Plus you can always respect pretty ez tbh

Theres a 50% crit skill then later there’s one thats 75 or 80%

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I like Rab and I want to use him but he seems kind of redundant. I guess he's supposed to be a Red Mage like caster but I haven't delved deep enough into his skill trees to see what he has to unlock. I'm trying out Claws on him right now. As it is I'd rather just swap him out for Veronica/Serena depending on what I need at the time.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yeah, for me Rab was my least used character, and I used most people throughout the game without settling on a permanent party. Definitely had a boss party setup tho

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kongming posted:

I like Rab and I want to use him but he seems kind of redundant. I guess he's supposed to be a Red Mage like caster but I haven't delved deep enough into his skill trees to see what he has to unlock. I'm trying out Claws on him right now. As it is I'd rather just swap him out for Veronica/Serena depending on what I need at the time.

rab is a compromise between veronica and serena, he can heal AND has attack spells and good buffs/debuffs, but isn't as good at either field as the more specialized mages.

i used him pretty much all the time personally since I like two attackers and sylv in the squad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Rab being the only one who learns insulatle made him necessary for at least 1 boss I can think of off the top of my head