Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Legion of the Damned, only it's a Gundam

Now if only it was on fire and had a skull motif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the only real Fight Rule is "be interesting"

it doesn't matter if it's a curbstomp or how many beams are involved, it just has to be fun to watch

like just look at that g-reco clip where bellri punches a dude's robot in the loving face and then dbz dashes behind him mid-flight to give him the boot, that fuckin rules

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bellri the Butcher.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Azubah posted:

The Phenex is supposed to pop up out of nowhere to help with fights and then leaves according to some of the fluff in the kit manuals, so this lines up with that.
Did she take it or is she it? Ein-style? (Or, isn't there a newtype who was integrated into a mainframe in UC?)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

junopsis posted:

Did she take it or is she it? Ein-style? (Or, isn't there a newtype who was integrated into a mainframe in UC?)

Blue Destiny's plot is based around a scientist figuring out how to embed a newtype's consciousness/soul in a computer so that non-newtypes can use it to achieve newtype battle prowess.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think the original Unicorn plot had Banagher merging with the Unicorn and leaving the solar system.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Azubah posted:

I think the original Unicorn plot had Banagher merging with the Unicorn and leaving the solar system.

No, he considered it but decided against it in the novel as well.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Lame, he should've left since everyone is an rear end in a top hat in the Sol system.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Boy Shino missing that shot really hosed me up.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

Blue Destiny's plot is based around a scientist figuring out how to embed a newtype's consciousness/soul in a computer so that non-newtypes can use it to achieve newtype battle prowess.

this seems like a terrible, terrible idea in a world where newtype ghosts both exist and are vengeful as hell

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

this seems like a terrible, terrible idea in a world where newtype ghosts both exist and are vengeful as hell

That was during the One Year War, when they were still finding out how terrible an idea it was.

And yes. It went very, very badly.

Not for the test pilot, though. He went on to survive trying to push back Axis partially thanks to making nice with the ghost in question.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yinlock posted:

To sum up the entire plot of Blue Destiny in a nutshell: During the One Year War, rear end in a top hat Zeon Scientist Chlust Moses accidentally kills a newtype named Marion Welch to make the EXAM system. Seriously, it was originally meant to be totally nonlethal and just have a living newtype using technology to mind-meld with oldtypes to give them newtype powers, but the system hosed up and killed her and trapped her consciousness in the machine so Moses shrugged his shoulders and kept on with it, because he is an rear end in a top hat. He absconds to the Federation with his research, and they begin putting it into limited testing. The test pilot of Blue Destiny 1, Yuu Kajima, isn't informed of the nature of the system initially.

Nimbus Schterzen, a prick who goes by the nickname "Paladin of Zeon" since he's a zealot fascist who loooves Gihren Zabi, is assigned to clean up the defector and steal back the research or destroy it. To do this, he's given the only working Zeon example of the system installed in his custom Efreet. He smashes the testing base, but then Yuu manages to get the EXAM working and kicks his rear end. Nimbus freaks out because he thinks he's the only one worthy of using the system and swears he's gonna kill everyone related to the system's development

Yuu finds out the nature of the system and is extremely Not Cool with it, but he recognizes he can't stop Nimbus without it. A lot of stuff happens; Nimbus's Efreet and the BD-1 are trashed, Nimbus jacks the BD-2 and Yuu ends up in the BD-3, Yuu develops a friendship with Marion while Nimbus treats her as a creepy possessive boyfriend would. Yuu and Nimbus have a final showdown with Yuu killing Nimbus, then Yuu deliberately destroys the system to free Marion's soul.

As chiasaur says, Yuu survives and goes on to work for the AEUG and eventually joins Londo Bell and is one of the dudes who helps push back Axis, though that's not mentioned in CCA itself because Blue Destiny was written after CCA.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 18, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The manga tells a somewhat abridged version of the story. The video game has the full plot.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Midjack posted:

The manga tells a somewhat abridged version of the story. The video game has the full plot.

The "new" manga they started recently or the original one?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The "new" manga they started recently or the original one?

The original single volume one. I think the new one follows the game plan but don't quote me on that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kanos posted:

As chiasaur says, Yuu survives and goes on to work for the AEUG and eventually joins Londo Bell and is one of the dudes who helps push back Axis, though that's not mentioned in CCA itself because Blue Destiny was written after CCA.
I do have one question regarding this: does Yuu survive the Axis pushback, or is he part of the group that loses their grip on Axis and gets turbo-fried while falling into Earth's atmosphere? Or has Yuu's fate never been revealed?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I do have one question regarding this: does Yuu survive the Axis pushback, or is he part of the group that loses their grip on Axis and gets turbo-fried while falling into Earth's atmosphere? Or has Yuu's fate never been revealed?

If what I read is correct (It's secondhand)

He's the guy who falls trying to save the Geara Doga, but he's saved by Newtype Magic.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Midjack posted:

The original single volume one. I think the new one follows the game plan but don't quote me on that.

The new one is the full plot in excruciating detail. They're up to chapter 30 something and Efreet and BD-1 are still in play.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

The new one is the full plot in excruciating detail. They're up to chapter 30 something and Efreet and BD-1 are still in play.

I was just thinking Gundam needed to be more like Dragon Ball Z.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

Jesus christ, that's less "excruciating detail" and more "holy poo poo what is taking so long".

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Midjack posted:

I was just thinking Gundam needed to be more like Dragon Ball Z.

Next Time on Blue Destiny: Marion makes Yuu and Nimbus get driver's licenses.

But yeah, before G Gundam, Trams-Am, and NT-D, EXAM was like the stock MS super mode that you always included in your ultimate OG-do-not-steal fanfic Gundam.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AtheistMantis posted:

Next Time on Blue Destiny: Marion makes Yuu and Nimbus get driver's licenses.

But yeah, before G Gundam, Trams-Am, and NT-D, EXAM was like the stock MS super mode that you always included in your ultimate OG-do-not-steal fanfic Gundam.

G Gundam existed before Blue Destiny did. G Gundam aired in 1994 in Japan and 2002 in the US, the first Blue Destiny game came out in 1996 in Japan and in the US never.

Discounting the Psycoframes in Z and ZZ, I think G Gundam's Super/Hyper modes are the original powerup forms in Gundam.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 18, 2018

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ManSedan posted:

Boy Shino missing that shot really hosed me up.

It sure hosed him up, too.

Get ready for a wild ride (pun intended) as the show reaches the end!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I read that as Shiro and got confused. drat one legged war hippie...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

looking at the robots it seems that along with being an rear end in a top hat nimbus really has horrible taste in ace colors

Arcsquad12 posted:

I read that as Shiro and got confused. drat one legged war hippie...

I like shiro's ending just because I love the idea that in UC the only people who get happy endings are the ones who choose not to fight anymore, like shiro or doctor kamille

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yinlock posted:

I like shiro's ending just because I love the idea that in UC the only people who get happy endings are the ones who choose not to fight anymore, like shiro or doctor kamille

It's too bad Shiro's ending was slapped onto a godawful final episode that had nothing to do with anything except shoehorn newtypes into the show somehow. I would have been fine with the show ending on the precious episode, or at least having the epilogue episode go in a different direction.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

looking at the robots it seems that along with being an rear end in a top hat nimbus really has horrible taste in ace colors

The Blue Destiny 2 works OK - the boxy, detailed design combined with the bright paint makes it feel like a World War I ace's biplane. The EXAM Efreet's organic curves and cartoony-looking weapons mean the colours don't work for it, though. It looks way too plasticky.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

LuiCypher posted:

It sure hosed him up, too.

Get ready for a wild ride (pun intended) as the show reaches the end!

Seriously, it's crazy good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Discounting the Psycoframes in Z and ZZ, I think G Gundam's Super/Hyper modes are the original powerup forms in Gundam.

The psycoframe was what the Nu, Sazabi, Jagd Dogas, Unicorn, Banshee and Phenex use in Char's Counterattack, Unicorn and Narrative. The Neo Zeong uses something similar called a psycoshard that apes the psycoframe, but can use it's kind of power without the exceptional circumstances psycoframes require. It's biosensors that the Zeta and ZZ, along with The O, have.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Up to episode 22 of ZZ Gundam and it still sucks.

The amount of casual abuse of women is kinda startling by modern standards. Seriously I think more women have been choked, slapped, killed, and degraded in this show than any other Gundam I can think of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You haven't gotten to the bikini suicide squad in Victory Gundam yet.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

You haven't gotten to the bikini suicide squad in Victory Gundam yet.

I have seen this and while it is jarring in it's execution, it's like 1/2 of one episode. It's also patently absurd in a show where there are loving space motorcycles. The end of Victory is kind of a mess, but the whole show is badly paced and plotted.

Chara Soon is literally enslaved (not treated like a POW in the traditional sense), beaten repeatedly, not to mention how many of the Argama crew slap and hit the women on board and in their lives. This includes Judau who slaps and chokes multiple women for their disagreement with him. Almost every other episode seems to include an occasion of physical abuse of women. Gundam has often had sexist characters and verbal crap thrown at female characters, but ZZ Gundam is very comfortable repeatedly showing women being physically assaulted because "they're being annoying" and treating it like they deserved it. It stands out and I did not remember it.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 18, 2018

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

But with bonus unnecessary new GM variants, because the OYW wasn't ludicrous enough already.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

The Blue Destiny 2 works OK - the boxy, detailed design combined with the bright paint makes it feel like a World War I ace's biplane. The EXAM Efreet's organic curves and cartoony-looking weapons mean the colours don't work for it, though. It looks way too plasticky.

i find the blue destiny to be kind of an eyesore in general, it's just way too dark blue

painting the shoulders red did not help

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I have seen this and while it is jarring in it's execution, it's like 1/2 of one episode. It's also patently absurd in a show where there are loving space motorcycles. The end of Victory is kind of a mess, but the whole show is badly paced and plotted.

Chara Soon is literally enslaved (not treated like a POW in the traditional sense), beaten repeatedly, not to mention how many of the Argama crew slap and hit the women on board and in their lives. This includes Judau who slaps and chokes multiple women for their disagreement with him. Almost every other episode seems to include an occasion of physical abuse of women. Gundam has often had sexist characters and verbal crap thrown at female characters, but ZZ Gundam is very comfortable repeatedly showing women being physically assaulted because "they're being annoying" and treating it like they deserved it. It stands out and I did not remember it.

tomino has Issues with women that flare up sometimes and show in his writing, especially when he's writing gundam

in his defense he's a lot better when he's not severely depressed, which he is whenever he's writing gundam so uh

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

i find the blue destiny to be kind of an eyesore in general, it's just way too dark blue

painting the shoulders red did not help

tomino has Issues with women that flare up sometimes and show in his writing, especially when he's writing gundam

in his defense he's a lot better when he's not severely depressed, which he is whenever he's writing gundam so uh

He wasn't terribly depressed for Turn A. Which is probably part of why Turn A's female cast shows less of those issues.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

He wasn't terribly depressed for Turn A. Which is probably part of why Turn A's female cast shows less of those issues.

Do any of the female cast of Turn A have such issue? Even the expected slap is delivered by Dianna, and is kind of deserved since Sochie was ordering Loran around like a servant and expecting him to kowtow to her whims in the middle of a situation where they were social and martial equals. G-Reco had no real problems in that regard that I recall either.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

G-Reco, the story where they avoided giving the main heroine any good action sequences or character development because she was insinuinated to have slept with her lover?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Potsticker posted:

G-Reco, the story where they avoided giving the main heroine any good action sequences or character development because she was insinuinated to have slept with her lover?

No, you must be thinking of something else because that doesn't sound like G-Reco.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, you must be thinking of something else because that doesn't sound like G-Reco.

I'm looking for the interview where this was stated, but I'm just finding pastes without a source at the moment:

quote:

Tomino: I guess the bigger problem was Aida. How did she become such a foolish, useless princess? Maybe her writing just needed more work. It feels like the problem was that she never really fit my personal image of a heroine. Yesterday, I got into a bit of a spat with the recording staff. When I mentioned a basic assumption I had about Aida, everyone said, "Mr. Tomino, that's how you thought about her? That must be why her character plummeted so far!" The topic that inspired this reaction? Whether or not Aida slept with Cahill.
Interviewer: Huh?!
Tomino: I was sure that Aida had slept with Cahill. I mean, it isn't a big deal if a 17 - 18-year-old girl sleeps with a grown man, is it? But every single member of the staff yelled, "she didn't sleep with him!" and absolutely rejected the idea.
Interviewer: I think that goes without saying.
Tomino: So, in short, at this stage in the process, I finally noticed that I had lost interest in Aida because she slept with Cahill. I never had any intention of making her shine in the first place. That's the reason the character who should have had the most focus didn't shine.

EDIT: Animage April 2015 Issue according to this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3669180&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=84#post442887064

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4PI6EMz_0s

The subbed version of Bandit Flower is up on Gundaminfo.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 19, 2018