Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

God this thread moves fast.

I'm trying to heavily limit myself on what I use and how, there's just something cheesy and shameful about beating every fight by cramming a hundred simmered apples in my face every time I take a hit.

Thats actually not cheesing the food system at all. There is a much, much dumber and much much more powerful health item that destroys that difficulty curve. Dont look it up until you get bored of the crap cooking system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I am so ready for D A R K S O U L S!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My soul is mine, and I am alive!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PMush Perfect posted:

God this thread moves fast.

I'm trying to heavily limit myself on what I use and how, there's just something cheesy and shameful about beating every fight by cramming a hundred simmered apples in my face every time I take a hit.

Oh just wait. You can do cool things with the food system.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The food system being so unbalanced is my least favorite thing about BOTW. It's fun at first but utilizing it even a little just destroys any semblance of challenge in the game.

Also mass cooking stuff is too slow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ooooh yeah, I can't wait

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

The food system being so unbalanced is my least favorite thing about BOTW. It's fun at first but utilizing it even a little just destroys any semblance of challenge in the game.

Every difficulty curve in Botw is like this. Starting hugely disempowered then with one simple trick you are a demigod.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

Every difficulty curve in Botw is like this. Starting hugely disempowered then with one simple trick you are a demigod.

Dark lords hate him!! Master glowing swords with this one simple trick!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

You just have to look at the current debate on how grindy asscreed Odyssey is to see that Nintendo's world design plus stamina and weapon degradation is super thought out. It's so elegant in it's simplicity compared to level gating.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

bushisms.txt posted:

You just have to look at the current debate on how grindy asscreed Odyssey is to see that Nintendo's world design plus stamina and weapon degradation is super thought out. It's so elegant in it's simplicity compared to level gating.

Ubisoft finds one thing and sticks with it. Nintendo always has to do something different, whether that be good or bad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Andrast posted:

it's only really the bonus hearts meals that's a problem imo, I had a pretty good time by deliberately not using any of those

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I immediately ignored all maps, scrambling across the landscape like a feral goblin, and those food items were basically the first cooking ingredients I found.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I would argue the exact opposite, the design in BotW is a kludge of systems with little to no effort put in to consider how they would interact or what the hell quality of life means.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It is a very polarizing game.

I really enjoyed my blind runthrough of it and I look forward to playing it again more knowledgeably later on and try for all the memories and secrets.

Maybe in a few months, when the luster of smash bros is starting to fade...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Brother Entropy posted:

it's only really the bonus hearts meals that's a problem imo, I had a pretty good time by deliberately not using any of those
See, my self-limitation is only eating meals at campfires, my flavor justification being that it needs reheating and rehydrating. And even then, I only keep salted meals or things that seem naturally preserved. Everything else gets immediately crammed in my face or sold. So those extra heart/stamina meals are kiiinda crucial because they're the only buffs that last.

That said, I will use elixirs basically on-demand, they're more of a pain in the rear end so it feels more fair.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RIP Switch

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1052510817613008896

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can't believe Nintendo is doomed again

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s pronounced mah-tay

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oh boy I can't wait to spend $1000 to play mobile phone games

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fallom posted:

It’s pronounced mah-tay

He said it! He said mah-tey!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

I would argue the exact opposite, the design in BotW is a kludge of systems with little to no effort put in to consider how they would interact or what the hell quality of life means.

You're gonna have to explain this beyond that because the game development and the game it self are well documented to be the exact opposite of that claim.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I can’t play splatoon on that

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fallom posted:

It’s pronounced mah-tay

u wot m8

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I can't believe they loving killed the switch

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Cloud saves included by default courtesy of the Chinese government spyware embedded in the phone's OS.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
is this the smash direct people have been talking about

is mate 20x the newest smash bros character

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oh look out Nintendo, not even Smash Bros. can save you from this titan! :rolleyes:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Crossy roads at a blistering 60fps baby

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I got the four divine beasts and about to fight Calamity Ganon but don't I need to get the master sword? Why is the game allowing me to skip getting it?

Technically you can go right from the starting area to him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

You're gonna have to explain this beyond that because the game development and the game it self are well documented to be the exact opposite of that claim.

Ive clogged up the thread enough with my counter opinion on the game and I wrote a large thing on this earlier you can find in past quotes. In summary, there are several systems whose impact on other legacy systems as basic as "treasure chests" and "combat" was never thought through while other features lack basic QoL to aboid them becoming chore like. None of the systems interact well at all, the solution to weapon degredation making you permanently run out of weapons is a kludge that severely damages the exploration aspect of the camps.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At every part of development, after another cycle, they would halt development and bake the entire 300 person team play through it to find balance issues and places where things needed to be added

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Barudak posted:

Ive clogged up the thread enough with my counter opinion on the game and I wrote a large thing on this earlier you can find in past quotes. In summary, there are several systems whose impact on other legacy systems as basic as "treasure chests" and "combat" was never thought through while other features lack basic QoL to aboid them becoming chore like. None of the systems interact well at all, the solution to weapon degredation making you permanently run out of weapons is a kludge that severely damages the exploration aspect of the camps.

Or, maybe it was extremely thought through, and you just didn't like the end result, which is perfectly fine :shrug:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I want to like BotW, I really do, but the fact that the master sword and the abilities you get from the bosses have to be completely used up in order to start recharging just pisses me off on some deep nerd level I can’t get over.

These systems literally incentivize players to waste resources in a game all about managing and conserving your resources.

Every time you use any of these abilities and want to go into any situation after that fresh, you have to just fire off the remaining ability charges at nothing until you’re all out, or slam your sword into rocks just so it breaks, just so you can trigger the recharge that takes 10 minutes.

It is the worst thing about the game, but it’s such a large part of playing that you can’t really ignore it. The idea that this was a deliberate design decision kills me. And it could all have been avoided if they would have just used a normal regenerating resource system like every other game that has ever existed.

Oh, and not being able to mass cook is garbage too.

At least they added in a horse recall system, which means the entire chunk of time they spent developing and implementing horses and horse riding into the game is no longer completely down the toilet for nothing like it was previous to the DLC.

So yeah. BotW is one of those rare games that is 99% awesome but the remaining 1% of design decisions ruin the whole thing.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 17, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don't play it then you piece of poo poo. You loving waste of life.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lmao

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
nah

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

RCarr posted:

Don't play it then you piece of poo poo. You loving waste of life.

Lmfao

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GreatGreen posted:

I want to like BotW, I really do, but the fact that the master sword and the abilities you get from the bosses have to be completely used up in order to start recharging just pisses me off on some deep nerd level I can’t get over.

These systems literally incentivize players to waste resources in a game all about managing and conserving your resources.

Every time you use any of these abilities and want to go into any situation after that fresh, you have to just fire off the remaining ability charges at nothing until you’re all out, or slam your sword into rocks just so it breaks, just so you can trigger the recharge that takes 10 minutes.

It is the worst thing about the game, but it’s such a large part of playing that you can’t really ignore it. The idea that this was a deliberate design decision kills me. And it could all have been avoided if they would have just used a normal regenerating resource system like every other game that has ever existed.

Oh, and not being able to mass cook is garbage too.

At least they added in a horse recall system, which means the entire chunk of time they spent developing and implementing horses and horse riding into the game is no longer completely down the toilet for nothing like it was previous to the DLC.

So yeah. BotW is one of those rare games that is 99% awesome but the remaining 1% of design decisions ruin the whole thing.

Um... yeah I think you might have some brain problems if that ruins the game for you. Like what the gently caress dude? It's such a minor thing. I use the Master Sword primarily to hit rocks anyway so that's whatever. The ability generating thing? Once you do the Champion's Ballad, they regenerate so fast that you can pretty much just use them willy nilly. Even if you don't have that, just go find a cliff to jump up or some monster to fry with that last charge?

It's just such a non problem. Letting it ruin the game for you is just. :psyduck:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

At every part of development, after another cycle, they would halt development and bake the entire 300 person team play through it to find balance issues and places where things needed to be added

Well if there’s one thing Japanese workers are known for, it is challenging their bosses and directors by telling them what they should or should not have done, and that therefore they are wrong about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Every time I leave a room I have to flick the lights on and off 6 times so my wife doesn't die, who the gently caress designed this light switch??